Careercow Andrew Dobson / Tom Preston - STOP DOING SEXIST CRAP

Bolo

kiwifarms.net
Dobson tried to get a job as a storyboard artist once.

Also holy crap does he bitch and bitch about having to draw backgrounds in his old journals.
These ain't bad, if a bit too stiff. Dobson probably didn't get the job because, well, cartoon network was hot shit at the time of Ed, Edd n Eddy and you probably needed someone on the inside to get your foot there. You can say nepotism, but big studios only hire people known on the inside to minimize any bad hires.

But there is a HUGE amount of work and animations around that are small enough to get in by just applying, and their pay ain't all that different from the big studios. I've started on animations for kids under 5 and 6, very simple and niche stuff, and you start climbing from there. Unless you have the skills and some inside prop, you don't get to work for the california big ones.

I know we bash Dobson and all that, but putting the bitching aside for a second, he ain't bad, he is a competent enough draftsman that he could work for a small animation studio doing simple work. the shitty thing about his art is that he is mediocre and bland and it seems he can't grasp some more dinamic sense of style.

Last edited:

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought one of the reasons he never got an animation job was not making a portfolio because he thought he was hot shit and didn't need one they never taught him how to make one in college.
Context:

Taverley

the future is FEMA
kiwifarms.net
While flipping through old Dobson comics, Persistence of Vision reminded me of the Alex Sennwald vs. Alex ze Pirate discussion around page 2889.
persistence-of-vision-page-04-t4r4a10.jpgpersistence-of-vision-page-05-ua9177.jpgpersistence-of-vision-page-06-686aa7.jpg

View attachment 1189643
A Brief History on Pirates

Posted Apr 20th 2008, 6:37AM
Mood: Tired Music: Adesso e Fortuna - Record of Lodoss War

It’s been almost 10 years since I created the character of Alexandria Ze Pirate. She’s changed very little over those years, but she’s had quite an interesting journey. Originally based on a friend of mine, Alex Sennwald (the Ze in her name comes from the fact the real Alex is Swiss and had a peculiar french-ish accent), whom I met at a pre-college program in 1999. She was one of the only people who remained my friend online after the program and we hit it off pretty good.

Our daily life would work out like this... she would suggest a picture involving her character, and I would draw, digitize, and color it. Then while chatting away on AIM, I would send it to her. I made well over 300 Pirate pictures over the course of 5 years this way. The pictures were usually of a surreal nature. Meltings, paintings coming te life, and falling apart like a puzzle were all very common place in these early works.

Soon I started using Ze Pirate as a sidekick in a romantic comic I was writing called “Cosmic Amour.” Ze Pirate and Atea were originally created for outer space, which is why Atea has pointy ears, a tail and whiskers. Talus, who was originally created as an alien for Cosmic Amour, eventually crossed series into my pirate series and became the ship’s cook. The only noticeable difference with him was that he had two antenna on the top of his head.

The more we came up with crazy ideas through AIM, the more the personalities of the characters started to come out. A weird relationship between Alex and Atea started to become apparent, which baffled both of us because we knew that Alex was straight. It soon dawned on us that Atea was either gay or bisexual. When Sam the Unworthy Slob was introduced, we settled on Bisexual, as Atea seemed to have wicked fun flirting with Sam as well as
Alex.

Uncle Peggy was introduced as Alex’s uncle, and the main cast was complete. I even went so far as to write 2 sci-fi stories of the crew as they flew through space, encountering strange creatures. However, over time, I lost interest in the space theme, and decided to start a new story... the story of how all the crew came together. But to do this, I needed to write it in the past... like a real pirate story.

This presented a lot of little problems. Would it be alright to have Atea with Whiskers and a tail? Would people freak out at a little talking
dog/fox/beaver creature with antenna’s popping out of his head? Both Talus and Atea soon underwent slight modifications to make them more believable in this old-time pirate world. I kept Atea’s tail and Whiskers, but only during certain times of the month would they every obtrude themselves upon her physique. Talus became known as the “dog men of ancient legends” which allowed me to justify the freaky little creature.

I had big plans for the story, and I wrote 2 books worth of material. I self published the first book, but it never took off so I never published the second one. The reason Atea changed into a “rat” person was crucial to the storyline, but i never got around to it.

As for the real Alex and I, we drifted apart. I sort of had a crush on her, and when she married her boyfriend, I started to distance myself from her. The Alex Ze Pirate that I draw now is FAR from being the same Alex Sennwald that she originally started out as. Her appearance has changed a lot and now I can look at Alex Ze Pirate and see no trace of Alex Sennwald in her at all, which eases my burden.

Only recently, with my new job, have the Pirate characters suddenly popped back up into my limelight. I redesigned Alex again slightly (with the poof of hair in the back) and that only further encouraged me to start writing more goofy comics. Their personalities are still growing and defining themselves, and more often than not, I don't write the stories, they write themselves. Each character is sufficiently defective enough that they all have a certain way they would act in any given situation which makes it a treat to write.

So what you are all seeing now of Ze Pirate and gang is the accumulation of almost a decade of growth. She’s come a LONG way now, and perhaps this little bio will give you some insight as to why I draw some of the strange things I do (such as the recent turpentine picture), or where these unique characters originally came from.

"The more we came up with crazy ideas through AIM, the more the personalities of the characters started to come out. A weird relationship between Alex and Atea started to become apparent, which baffled both of us because we knew that Alex was straight. It soon dawned on us that Atea was either gay or bisexual."

What...? You're writing a character, not playing a Ouija Board.
Forcing OCs into being gay Helping develop OCs - did Dobson insert himself here as the antagonist girls?
dobson.png

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

UtopiaGuy

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Dobson would crash and burn if he ever got a gig in animation. He's notorious for not making any effort or sticking with anything requiring work, or making deadlines. I've said before, there is absolutely nothing stopping Dobbo from making his own stuff, making his own "Simon's Cat" type of thing he can post to YouTube. He's just too lazy, and more interested in fondling fandoms for attention. Unfortunately, aside from being lazy, he's also incapable of originality.

I just wish he'd give up the tracing and go back to the hand drawn stuff, which is better than the over-processed traced crap he does now. But he won't. His crutches are permanently grafted onto his body at this point, and he'll never give them up.

Huge Fuckin Nerd

kiwifarms.net
I think Dobson would crash and burn if he ever got a gig in animation. He's notorious for not making any effort or sticking with anything requiring work, or making deadlines. I've said before, there is absolutely nothing stopping Dobbo from making his own stuff, making his own "Simon's Cat" type of thing he can post to YouTube. He's just too lazy, and more interested in fondling fandoms for attention. Unfortunately, aside from being lazy, he's also incapable of originality.

I just wish he'd give up the tracing and go back to the hand drawn stuff, which is better than the over-processed traced crap he does now. But he won't. His crutches are permanently grafted onto his body at this point, and he'll never give them up.

I think a tard wrangler is exactly what Dobson would need to succeed though. At his peak, he was passionate and talented, he just didn’t have the drive or the knowledge on how to seek out work. Maybe he couldn’t swallow his pride enough to do an unpaid internship, maybe he just never knew how to properly get his foot in the door. We know that he turned down several jobs that were “below” him, but I think at one point, there was a place for him in the animation industry. Whatever chance he had to get in has been gone for well over a decade though. Now he just runs on fumes and we just watch him churn out the same uninspired art day in and out.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1201593View attachment 1201594
It’s amazing how often Dobson can be the living embodiment of a meme.

View attachment 1201595
Like that one time, when he posted about an argument he had with some guy, ending it with a screenshot where he went "LOL HE EVEN BLOCKED ME!" - with only one flaw: The screenshot showed that Dobson had blocked them.
Dobson forgot about blocking the dude while it was happening.

Also quite handy. Anxiety and """PTSD""" (over having someone tell you you're wrong via Twitter), etc. will double as an excuse for anything, I guess.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think a tard wrangler is exactly what Dobson would need to succeed though. At his peak, he was passionate and talented, he just didn’t have the drive or the knowledge on how to seek out work. Maybe he couldn’t swallow his pride enough to do an unpaid internship, maybe he just never knew how to properly get his foot in the door. We know that he turned down several jobs that were “below” him, but I think at one point, there was a place for him in the animation industry. Whatever chance he had to get in has been gone for well over a decade though. Now he just runs on fumes and we just watch him churn out the same uninspired art day in and out.
It's weird how the character Ronnie from Whomp is so much like a bizzaro Dobson, he's a proud weeb who even has his own tard wrangler to get him to regularly make comics even though he'd rather be moping about eating fast food while watching cartoons.
The man kept a physical list of forum users who made fun of him for being a Nintendo shill, I’m quite sure he’d be petty enough to remember those names.
I really hope he still keeps a journal full of all the people who've crossed him on the internet.

XtrmGamr719

kiwifarms.net
Kinda hoping some Tumblrfag points out that his spergy rant about blocking teh hayturs has literally nothing to do with the post he’s replying to. It’s like he saw the word “blocked” and didn’t bother to read past that point.
Yeah it's basically someone being sad about being blocked for forgetting a conversation. We don't even know the context but it does sound like a real thing to happen. Then he comes in and bitches about how he has to block people about a conversation or something else.

• DRINK!
Reactions: Koby_Fish

Mitch Watterson

kiwifarms.net
Yeah it's basically someone being sad about being blocked for forgetting a conversation. We don't even know the context but it does sound like a real thing to happen. Then he comes in and bitches about how he has to block people about a conversation or something else.
The way Dobson is phrasing his words make it sound like he's equating the person he's replying to with the "harassers and haters" he mentions in his reply.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Koby_Fish

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
But there is a HUGE amount of work and animations around that are small enough to get in by just applying, and their pay ain't all that different from the big studios. I've started on animations for kids under 5 and 6, very simple and niche stuff, and you start climbing from there. Unless you have the skills and some inside prop, you don't get to work for the california big ones.
When you mean animations for kids under five, do you mean PBS shows or those weird youtube animations vids that use paid assets?

José Mourinho

The Special One
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, because the NYT and WaPo haven’t been biased as all hell.

View attachment 1199769
Why would actual journalists with "more nuanced takes" even have to put paywalls up their sites to begin with? If people know how to do it, why even bother having a stupid barrier?

Dobson getting mad at people calling Steven out for his shitty attitude and behavior in the recent SU: Future episodes.

View attachment 1202167View attachment 1202168
Just because you had mental problems doesn't mean you can get a free pass for your shitty attitude, Dobby.

Cuttlefish

kiwifarms.net
Like that one time, when he posted about an argument he had with some guy, ending it with a screenshot where he went "LOL HE EVEN BLOCKED ME!" - with only one flaw: The screenshot showed that Dobson had blocked them.
Dobson forgot about blocking the dude while it was happening.
Plus the time he made a comic about how a school bully tried to friend him on Facebook and he got to look so smug when denying the request - except the comic shows Dobby sending the friend request himself...