Animal Crossing: New Horizons - It's hard to convince people that I'm not a furry after telling them I like Animal Crossing.

anti SJW

kiwifarms.net
PETA not happy with the game.

• "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" was released for the Nintendo Switch on Friday.
  • Characters make money by catching virtual fish, bugs, and other creatures and selling them in the game's general store.
  • The advocacy group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has told players, however, that the virtual sporting is not vegan.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

Friday's release of "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" for the Nintendo Switch came with experts increasingly urging people to practice social distancing, perhaps indirectly encouraging people to hunker down on their couches with the cheery, seemingly gentle game.

For those stuck inside, some are opting for a virtual escape to the islands of "Animal Crossing," where they can spend their days in the sun picking fruit, fishing, digging for clams, and donating to Blathers the owl's museum.

Despite the game's entirely virtual activities, the advocacy group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has a message for players.

"Fishing isn't vegan!" the organization said in a blog post. "You shouldn't fish in real life, so you shouldn't do so in the game, either."

PETA, which is known for its extreme and often divisive messaging, acknowledged in the "vegan guide" to the new game that the fish and bugs in the game weren't alive and "don't feel pain," but it still called the virtual sporting "cruel and bad for the environment."

"It's disappointing that a game in which villagers from all different species (from elephants and ducks to deer and pigs) coexist harmoniously with humans encourages abusive behavior toward fish and insects," the post said. "Instead of being recognized as the living, breathing, feeling individuals they are, they're presented as forms of entertainment for the other villagers. Your island should be a safe space for all animals, big and small."

The article almost appears like a tongue-in-cheek effort to use the game as a platform to talk about the group's beliefs on real-life fishing, hunting, and animal rights.

For example, the writer used Tom Nook, the fictional real-estate mogul depicted in the game, as an example to address the harming of the Japanese mammals in real life.

"Tom Nook is a tanuki, or a raccoon dog, who are often killed for their fur," the post said. "Others like him in the real world are beaten, anally electrocuted, gassed, or skinned alive."

Despite its criticisms, PETA isn't discouraging vegans from boycotting the game altogether.

The post offered alternatives for players, like picking and selling fruit, having bonfires, and customizing passports and other items with pro-vegan language.

"PETA hopes the game will encourage people to feel closer to the animals we share our planet with and inspire them to work to #EndSpeciesism — the misguided belief that humans are superior to all other animal species and that it's OK for us to exploit some species in horrible ways for our own trivial purposes," the blog post said.

Some players posted online to disagree with PETA's messaging about the game.

emo goff

local bridge cybergoth
kiwifarms.net
Of all games, PETA chooses Animal Crossing. A game where you have to be nice to sentient talking, thinking animals.

How to play AC like a true and honest vegan:
1. Don't fish or catch bugs.
2. Don't shake trees or kick rocks for creatures.
3. Kill yourself with an axe because you're the only human in the game. The ultimate vegan sacrifice.

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
Caught a coelcanth, used bait on the dock in a rainstorm.
Resident Services is being upgraded, pls I need town hall to end this music.

Maybe the original room sizes were a bit big, but ever since they introduced side rooms my main room has been kind of just a junction. Id rather have one big room that I can split with panels than gaping holes in the walls.

Raging Capybara

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone here knows a place that lists all the game's furnitures? Someone certainly already datamined the game by now, right?

I still haven't found any of my favorites series' furniture like Regal, Classic, Modern, and Sleek. I'm afraid they don't exist since Nintendo only cares about DIY.

• Agree
Reactions: Slick Willy

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
I've been seeing a lot of my friends delve into this game on their playtimes, so I'm going to assume with quarantines and the like, and just the given nature of this series, this is pretty appealing to a lot of folks right now.

(I too want to play an open world game right now, for the same reasons)

Reactions: MsStevieMarie

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
I've been seeing a lot of my friends delve into this game on their playtimes, so I'm going to assume with quarantines and the like, and just the given nature of this series, this is pretty appealing to a lot of folks right now.

(I too want to play an open world game right now, for the same reasons)
I am assuming survival and survival horror games are being played less because it starting to become a survival situation.

moonman1488

幸运能源 (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ amazing horse ♥
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I am onto the latter tiers of the house expansions and yeah, I am still baffled by the changes made. None of the rooms (bar the front room) can be expanded in size. I refuse to believe that they'd focus so much on customisation and strip the home aspect down this much. Then it hit me. This is going to be some sort of bullshit update or expansion!

Context for new players to the series: The "Happy Home Academy" started off as a way of rating how well you laid out homes. You got some generic rewards, encouraged players to complete series sets for display. Match colours/themes etc. Yet in the latter games, it became this sort of housing agent type experience in which you craft the perfect homes and it's the foundation to a lot of the current customisation tech in New Horizons and Pocket Camp.

However the NPC's associated with that group aren't in game. Yet.

I have a horrible feeling that they'll use the Home Academy as a means of a Season-pass.
There is definitely going to be microtransactions/season passes for this game. Nintendo succumbed to that cancer when they made the god awful iPhone Animal Crossing that you have to be a Saudi oil prince to afford to play.

Anchors-Away

kiwifarms.net
Anyone here knows a place that lists all the game's furnitures? Someone certainly already datamined the game by now, right?

I still haven't found any of my favorites series' furniture like Regal, Classic, Modern, and Sleek. I'm afraid they don't exist since Nintendo only cares about DIY.
As I hinted at earlier in the thread, a lot of these series sets are gone in favour of customisation. For example, the "Green" and "Blue" series is now just the standard wood series that you gotta pay to repaint.

Datamine was done a week or back. Resulted in the hashtag "BringBackFroggyChair" to trend in the US on twitter

DoodleBerry

Turn the page, wash your hands
kiwifarms.net
Nook miles turn this game into crack cocaine. I used to spend maybe 15 min a day on New leaf for the year I played it. Could probably find a way to spend an hour a day in new horizons with nook miles.

Fuck, I don’t have time for this.
God yes. I now have 100+k nook miles and I have spent probably 30k+ on junk and mystery island trips. God bless Corona-Chan.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
Despite how rare the coelacanth is supposed to be, it wasn’t that hard for me to catch it. Caught two tuna and a blue marlin while looking too.
The stringfish is the real bastard to catch.
I get the big feel that the coelacanth is much much less rare. I used to spend hours looking for it and those hours turned into months, but my very first rainstorm in NH and there it was.
There is definitely going to be microtransactions/season passes for this game. Nintendo succumbed to that cancer when they made the god awful iPhone Animal Crossing that you have to be a Saudi oil prince to afford to play.
You could also be selective with what you use leaf tickets on. PC gives you a shitload of them for being a gacha, and it's all for cosmetics.

Raging Capybara

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So let's wrap things up.

- This game doesn't have 90% of the series NPCs.
- Almost all the furniture series and themes are absent.
- No annual events included in the game at launch.
- Not pub.
- No gyroids.
- No Reed and his rare items and paintings.
- Villagers' houses look exactly the same, there're only 8 variants for the 8 main personalities.
- Slow as fuck progression.
- Bad music.
- Crafting mechanics are worse than Minecraft's. a game released 10 years ago.
- 30 frames per second (the N64 game ran at 60, lol)
- Everything is ugly and all looks the same. Do you have that generic wooden furniture? Good, the rest of the island has this one too.
- DLC and updates galore.

This game is a monumental failure. I can't think of anything it improved over New Leaf.

I paid 60 dollars for this shitty, incomplete game. I absolutely despise Nintendo.

Cosmos

Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay so it's been several days in for my first AC game. Going start with the negatives and then positives.

Things take a LONG time to get going. I get that that's kind of the point but it's like, things could move along just a tad faster. Yeah I could just time travel but I'd rather not "cheapen" my first experience with the series if I can help it. Also what fucking pinhead thought it was a good idea not only close the shop for the night, but decrease the selling price of items if you put them in the overnight drop box? What makes it even worse is that this limitation doesn't happen until you build the store, so the game effectively punishes you for making progress.

And it's already been brought up, but from what I can tell it sure feels like a lot of content was held back for future updates. No gyroids (though they're in the code if the implication wasn't obvious yet), several major NPCs are absent, limited fruit tree variety, apparently a good chunk of clothing is missing, no diving despite the random dock, and just how overall barren things kind of feel. Seems to happen to a lot of Nintendo games lately where they're releasing incomplete products and then "finishing them" over the course of a year or so. Not really liking this new "business model" of theirs.

Ranting aside, this game is addicting as hell. Had a feeling I'd like it since I'm no stranger to life simulation games but even then it's so fun and relaxing building shit and talking to the townsfolk (Ava, my third villager who just moved in, is easily my favorite, such a sweetie). And the museum, holy shit. Best part of the game, already spent a while just in the fish sections alone admiring my collection. Only wish you could have that level of customization with animals you have at home since I already have a "personal" collection that I plan to have an entire room just for them.

It's also just, overall nice to have something to look forward to every day. What islands am I going to find? What projects can I get done? What new bugs and fish will I catch? That pleasant sense of progression that keeps you coming back for more. Definitely glad I got this game, consider me a new fan of the series.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I was pretty disappointed and sad on launch day because I could only play for like an hour before running out of things to do (I broke my fishing rod and net and didn't know you could shake the trees to get more branches). I know the whole point of Animal Crossing is leisurely play with emphasis on gameplay that resets daily, but this game takes so fucking long to get going. I've been busy with work so I haven't had time to play as much as I'd like to, but even now I've only just managed to set up the shop and museum. New Leaf gave you a lot more to do in the first days of the game.

I'm also not a fan of the crafting aspect. Well, I should say I do like crafting and think it's fun, but having to make new tools whenever your old ones break is annoying as fuck. Even after purchasing the tool upgrade recipes (which I did as soon as I could), tools still break and you have to replace them. Fortunately most of the time I have the materials, but it's super annoying to be right in the middle of fishing or bug-catching only to have to go back to the crafting table.

It's also disappointing that, like you said, that Nintendo has seemingly decided to pursue a "release incomplete game, fill out with DLC later" business model. Pokemon Sword and Shield are the biggest example of this, and it looks like New Horizons is following suit. It's just a shame, because Nintendo is usually synonymous with "quality."

Aside from all that bitching, it's still Animal Crossing and it's still super addicting and a lot of fun. I love playing every day and I'm really eager to unlock more features. I'm going to try to start playing more frequently so I can unlock that stuff faster.

Also, I've always been a fan of the museum feature, but they've really outdone themselves with the museum design in this game! I can't wait to fill it out with my donations.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
So let's wrap things up.

- This game doesn't have 90% of the series NPCs.
- Almost all the furniture series and themes are absent.
- No annual events included in the game at launch.
- Not pub.
- No gyroids.
- No Reed and his rare items and paintings.
- Villagers' houses look exactly the same, there're only 8 variants for the 8 main personalities.
- Slow as fuck progression.
- Bad music.
- Crafting mechanics are worse than Minecraft's. a game released 10 years ago.
- 30 frames per second (the N64 game ran at 60, lol)
- Everything is ugly and all looks the same. Do you have that generic wooden furniture? Good, the rest of the island has this one too.
- DLC and updates galore.

This game is a monumental failure. I can't think of anything it improved over New Leaf.

I paid 60 dollars for this shitty, incomplete game. I absolutely despise Nintendo.
>will be patched in, or is subjective
Welcome to gaming in 2020. I think the parsing of content will help keep it interesting longer. The furniture kind of sucks but a lot of it has been around for so long I was getting bored of it.

I mean, whining about slow pace? Its animal crossing. Its been slow. Btw, fps doesnt matter in a life sim and the Roost isnt a pub.

Raging Capybara

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Welcome to gaming in 2020.
So I'll stop playing video games altogether. I can't even remember the last time I played something good anyway.

I gave up on this bullshit. I'm not going to invest time in a mobile game. Once the event is gone you will never be able to revisit it again. Braindead kids who learned to play games with Fortnite don't care about that. I care though.

It won't keep the game interesting for longer, it will AGE the game worse than all the previous installments. It's a disposable game made for coomsumers who want to coomsume right NOW! It's a stupid decision and I didn't sign up for this bullshit. The game died for me with today's direct.

If you still like it so that's ok, but I don't care anymore.

Tags
None