Animated Atrocities Animated Atrocities #84: Mars Needs Moms -

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
@Piga Dgrifm: And Casey Alexander must be a mean-spirited bully! Only a mean-spirited bully would ever write an episode where a character tries to commit suicide!

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
Thank God my nostalgia isn't just me...

Now, if I can find someone who shares my nostalgia for late 90s/early 2000s web design, I'll finally be satisfied.

But seriously, what in the hell did happen to the cartoon fan community? How'd it change so much in only ten years?

Aobozu

kiwifarms.net
Wait, Enter seriously got mad at a kid for missing their parents?
I think he's injecting a little too much of his personal life into his reviews now that he's ranting about this kind of stuff.
What bothered me more is that he implies that the mother shouldn't really be hurt. "Most mothers wouldn't take it to heart."
Most mothers would definitely have the sense to see how shallow it is for a child to say bad things about them, but that doesn't make the pain any less real. Having someone you love so much say something so horrible about you is hurtful, and even if you understand that they don't mean it then hearing them say the words can still hurt deeply. This goes to mothers especially who are famous for caring about this children so intensely, and this mother is definitely supposed to be of that caring archtype. Plus, since children can be so shallow, it's possible that a kid can really mean it when they express a dislike of their parents because they don't comprehend the depth of what they're saying. A child is so shallow that they really can mean it when they say "I wish you weren't my mother" even if they don't have a legitimate reason to feel that way. Different mothers would express themselves with any kind of emotion, but I'm sure more mothers would be upset than Enter thinks.

tl;dr Enter can't comprehend anything that's not in line with his experiences.
I think that what Enter does is take his family experiences and assume that is normal for every family on Earth, no matter how obviously not-normal it might actually be.

It's a thing with autism, apparently. They take their experiences and apply it as if it was the same for everyone else. The thing with that is that they unintentionally reveal details of their lives or their disability when they do that, like taking speech therapy, being prescribed to specific pills, describing their classes or buses, eating certain 'special' things, certain autism-exclusive behaviors, or having digestion issues.

Last edited:

Trilby

Hello kiwi lovers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thank God my nostalgia isn't just me...

Now, if I can find someone who shares my nostalgia for late 90s/early 2000s web design, I'll finally be satisfied.
HTML 3.0, with FRAMES!

But seriously, what in the hell did happen to the cartoon fan community? How'd it change so much in only ten years?
Some of us moved on and 'new blood' came in. I use to hold the #1 post rank in rec.arts.animation during it's lifespan.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
@Trilby: I have never met anyone who posted on Usenet.

From the 90s well into the 2000s, though, the cartoon fan community was pretty much the same, from what I can tell; why the sudden change around the turn of this decade?

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
Time happened. The old crowd just grew the fuck up and realized that cartoons aren't everything (and I still watch them as I'm into animation and all that).

The problem here is the new blood, who think animation is god and nothing else. Add to the fact that sites like Reddit, YouTube and Tumblr exist and you have what's essentially the current animation comunity. Where people think they can be animators without practice and the people only enjoy three to four shows and shun the rest of them.

Now don't get me wrong, there's still some of the old crowd left, and some of the newer guys aren't as bad as their peers. But it seems like only 10-15% of the fandom nowadays.

• Winner
Reactions: Trilby

Trilby

Hello kiwi lovers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Trilby: I have never met anyone who posted on Usenet.
Good to know, I met many that way.

From the 90s well into the 2000s, though, the cartoon fan community was pretty much the same, from what I can tell; why the sudden change around the turn of this decade?
I would say when the internet started to become this accessible thing to the masses is what did it (and social networks). People didn't have to build a homepage anymore when they could maintain an entry somewhere online and have it do the rest (whether they liked it or not) It was never like this back when I started going online in '96, of course what I'll miss was the goofy personal webpages for every TV show under the sun, complete with .wav's of every line heard and .gif's of every scene! Boy those were the days!

Time happened. The old crowd just grew the fuck up and realized that cartoons aren't everything (and I still watch them as I'm into animation and all that).

The problem here is the new blood, who think animation is god and nothing else. Add to the fact that sites like Reddit, YouTube and Tumblr exist and you have what's essentially the current animation comunity. Where people think they can be animators without practice and the people only enjoy three to four shows and shun the rest of them.

Now don't get me wrong, there's still some of the old crowd left, and some of the newer guys aren't as bad as their peers. But it seems like only 10-15% of the fandom nowadays.
That's certainly how it happened, at least from my experience in this, and I was one of those that was so into cartoons back in the 90's.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
@Trilby: Some things haven't changed, though. The new group of cartoon morons hates 99% of current Nick shows, just like it was back then. Tell me how the complaints about how new SpongeBob sucks are different from those complaining that new Rugrats sucked.

I kind of think MLP had a big part in why the cartoon community is what it is. Back then most cartoon morons loved shows like Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life... now, not so much.

• Agree
Reactions: Shokew and Trilby

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
@Trilby: If most of you will allow me to get something off my chest, I hate how people try to reduce Rocko's Modern Life to just nonstop adult humor.

It was a witty, clever satire (up there with the best of MAD Magazine and Harvey Kurtzman), it had terrific slapstick and really good characters. But all anyone ever seems to mention about it is, well, the hidden adult gags, as if that was ALL the appeal it had.

Similarly, the appeal of Ren and Stimpy and some of the stuff that followed in its wake was not just the gross-out comedy.

But, of course, cartoon morons ruin every-fuckin'-thing...

Trilby

Hello kiwi lovers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Trilby: If most of you will allow me to get something off my chest, I hate how people try to reduce Rocko's Modern Life to just nonstop adult humor.

It was a witty, clever satire (up there with the best of MAD Magazine and Harvey Kurtzman), it had terrific slapstick and really good characters. But all anyone ever seems to mention about it is, well, the hidden adult gags, as if that was ALL the appeal it had.

Similarly, the appeal of Ren and Stimpy and some of the stuff that followed in its wake was not just the gross-out comedy.

But, of course, cartoon morons ruin every-fuckin'-thing...
Yes, we do (and certainly something of Harvey Kurtzman's caliber is sorely needed these days)

Trilby

Hello kiwi lovers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Trilby: Yes we do, what?

Fellow Kurtzman fan, huh? If it turned out you liked R. Crumb my jaw would drop...
I do too. I only found out about Kurtzman early in life because my late mother thought I was related to him (her maiden name was Kurtzman) when she found an issue of Comics Scene that talked about him.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
@Trilby: You are probably the coolest guy ever on this forum.

Thank God somebody recognizes Crumb aside from Fritz the Cat. I'm such a fan I even met a member of his band.

But enough of this. Where were we? Oh, yes... Cartoon morons. Someone ought to start a thread on them.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Trilby

Hello kiwi lovers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Trilby: You are probably the coolest guy ever on this forum.
Glad to be complimented!

Thank God somebody recognizes Crumb aside from Fritz the Cat. I'm such a fan I even met a member of his band.
Cool to hear! I still feel sorry for his brother having gone nowhere with his work, at least Robert had someone to be inspired to draw from.

But enough of this. Where were we? Oh, yes... Cartoon morons. Someone ought to start a thread on them.
Never a shortage of that!

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino