Anime and Manga for Girls - Because men sperging about their big titty waifus and their monster girl harem isekais gets old

• We've gotten t.me/kiwifarms set up for downtime announcements since Twitter doesn't allow us to have one.

Registration

kiwifarms.net
Why are horror shoujo manga so fucked up?
Shoujo Kaitai c1 1199d214-2c97-461d-aa4d-798fa9b22c5d.png

Shoujo Kaitai c3 db8e0acc-8b74-450b-8d6d-1156bc86e507.png

4 chapters in, full of incest. gore, cannibalism and so on

Mango Cobra

I am the Red Man.
kiwifarms.net
Not a lady, but I'm quite partial to "girl anime" since as a kid my older sister was the only one in my family who liked anime so I would watch it with her.

Magic Knight Rayearth was the first anime I can remember watching, and Card Captor Sakura was amazing, if I remember it properly. I vaguely remember Sailor Moon but honestly I don't remember enjoying it much.

My all time favorite manga / anime is called Yona of the Dawn - Princess is the Reincarnation of an ancient hero and travels with a group of stupidly handsome men who are blessed with superhuman powers, and a dude who is jusg a pure baseline human but is so strong and skilled that he somehow manages to overpower one of the previously mentioned divinely blessed warriors and requires three of them to restrain him despite being mortally wounded.

Recently started reading, at my sister's suggestion, Basara and Lady Snowblood.

Figured I'd ask here for some recommendations since I've currently got way more free time than I'm used to, till next month when I both start a new job and start a medical training course.

I generally prefer fantasy stuff over slice of life shit or scifi, but I'm honestly down to read anything half decent.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Came across a physical copy of the first season of the Hell Girl anime today, I feel like I've put off that series for too long. Kinda surprised the manga's actually shoujo, there really does need to be more psychological horror for girls.

Protistology

kiwifarms.net
Not a lady, but I'm quite partial to "girl anime" since as a kid my older sister was the only one in my family who liked anime so I would watch it with her.

Magic Knight Rayearth was the first anime I can remember watching, and Card Captor Sakura was amazing, if I remember it properly. I vaguely remember Sailor Moon but honestly I don't remember enjoying it much.

My all time favorite manga / anime is called Yona of the Dawn - Princess is the Reincarnation of an ancient hero and travels with a group of stupidly handsome men who are blessed with superhuman powers, and a dude who is jusg a pure baseline human but is so strong and skilled that he somehow manages to overpower one of the previously mentioned divinely blessed warriors and requires three of them to restrain him despite being mortally wounded.

Recently started reading, at my sister's suggestion, Basara and Lady Snowblood.

Figured I'd ask here for some recommendations since I've currently got way more free time than I'm used to, till next month when I both start a new job and start a medical training course.

I generally prefer fantasy stuff over slice of life shit or scifi, but I'm honestly down to read anything half decent.
All of these have a female protagonist and are fantasy, thriller, or historical.

Burn the House Down (Thriller)
Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess (Fantasy)
The Holy Grail of Eris (Fantasy, Thriller)
The Girl Raised By The God Of Death Shows No Mercy To Her Foes (Fantasy)
A Bride's Story (Historical)
Everything by Hatsu Akiko. Start with Beautiful England Series (Fantasy, Historical)
Bird in Wonderland (Historical)

Mango Cobra

I am the Red Man.
kiwifarms.net
All of these have a female protagonist and are fantasy, thriller, or historical.

Burn the House Down (Thriller)
Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess (Fantasy)
The Holy Grail of Eris (Fantasy, Thriller)
The Girl Raised By The God Of Death Shows No Mercy To Her Foes (Fantasy)
A Bride's Story (Historical)
Everything by Hatsu Akiko. Start with Beautiful England Series (Fantasy, Historical)
Bird in Wonderland (Historical)
Just a dumb question, but what is with most female centric fantasy Mangas being 'set in an otome game'? Endo and Kobayashi is one. I don't get why it always has to be set in a video game and not a generic fantasy world.

NoReturn

CEO Wash & Smash llc.
kiwifarms.net
Just a dumb question, but what is with most female centric fantasy Mangas being 'set in an otome game'? Endo and Kobayashi is one. I don't get why it always has to be set in a video game and not a generic fantasy world.
I imagine it's for the same reason as men's isekai: Easy excuse to explain why a character might know things in advance and/or include video game systems.

The Mass Shooter Ron Soye

Do it for Null
kiwifarms.net

Protistology

kiwifarms.net
Endo and Kobayashi is a bit of an exception which is why I like it. The only advantage the players have is they know the plot and character bios, no magical powers. All the actual plot events happen though the actions of the characters who have free will, the players are just watching and giving advice to the characters. As the manga goes on, it is hinted that it's not a video game at all but another universe that shows up in our universe as fiction a la CWCville.

Mango Cobra

I am the Red Man.
kiwifarms.net
I imagine it's for the same reason as men's isekai: Easy excuse to explain why a character might know things in advance and/or include video game systems.
I guess that's fair. I fucking hate isekai that have the "IM A GAMER SO I KNOW THE CHEATCODES" / "I WAS GIVEN GOD MODE POWERS AND CANNOT BE BEATEN" / whatever. So I guess I'd feel the same way about otome game ones too. Fuck, I hated the "I got reincarnated as Yamcha" book because it was just that Yamcha was slightly more self aware before ending in the typical "And he wakes up and it was all a dream.... Or was it?!" That sort of shit that makes me hate most isekai.

The only one I've enjoyed so far is Yakuza Reincarnation - Old school yakuza boss gets killed and wakes up as a teenage princess in a fantasy world - Other than that, nothing has been half as good as Magic Knight Rayearth. And that isn't just rose colored lenses either - I rewatched it recently and it was kino.

I find myself more partial to "Characters get sent back in time and end up changing the past because they're a fun 'what if the romans had radio' thought experiment, but idk if that exactly counts as isekai?

I know they aren't probably considered Shojou but I'd still recommend them.

Sengoku Komachi - Girl who goes to agriculture school gpets yeeted back to the sengoku period and changes the future with modern farming techniques and a book about military history and weapons.

Taiga of Genisis - Archeology students get sent back to the early stone age and fight againts (literal) nazi Neanderthals
Endo and Kobayashi is a bit of an exception which is why I like it. The only advantage the players have is they know the plot and character bios, no magical powers. All the actual plot events happen though the actions of the characters who have free will, the players are just watching and giving advice to the characters. As the manga goes on, it is hinted that it's not a video game at all but another universe that shows up in our universe as fiction a la CWCville.
Yeah I'm on chapter 3 and I ended up getting that vibe - that it's a real world that they're influencing and not just a weird videogame thing. Thanks for the recommendations - I'm pretty tired of the manga I've been half heartedly trying to get into and get recommendations from my male friends.

lightning mcqueens whore

fruity little fuck
kiwifarms.net
I recently watched Shadows House and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't really seen much discussion about it anywhere, which is kinda weird since the internet usually loves this type of stuff.

Also, holy shit Oshi no Ko might be one of my favorite manga to come out recently. Its pacing is weird but that works in its favor to throw you off, especially in the beginning. It's written (or co-written?) by the author of Kaguya-sama, which I also liked. I hope they do it justice with the anime.

Aggressive Cactus

Not actually aggressive.
kiwifarms.net
I don't really watch much anime but I have a couple of faves. One of them is Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, which is a romantic comedy about a guy who writes shoujo manga under a pseudonym and a girl who tries to confess to him, but he ends up thinking she's a fan of his manga and ends up giving her an autograph instead. Then kinda hires her to work as his assistant since she's in the art club. It's a relatively new anime unlike most of the thread lol
There's a secondary romance with a manlet and a tomboy.

This clip will forever remain a favorite of mine.

Hope it hasn't been mentioned before.

Owls Owls Owls

kiwifarms.net
Fushigi Yuugi aged like milk, holy shit. It was one of those shows I only watched a couple of episodes of, back in the VHS trading days. Now I can just download it I figured it would be the perfect time to enjoy it and it makes me want to punch my kid self.

Characters declaring they're in love after knowing each other for like 3 days, everyone is in love with Miaka despite her probably being actually retarded, shitty forced drama. Not even nostalgia can save this trainwreck, but I do love the music.

It's probably not shoujo, but I was surprised at how much I loved Brigadoon's love story. The show isn't perfect, I think its pacing is weird, and some jokes probaly just don't translate or something, they felt so off, but it ended up being a much more enjoyable romance experience than fucking Fushigi Yuugi.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fushigi Yuugi aged like milk, holy shit. It was one of those shows I only watched a couple of episodes of, back in the VHS trading days. Now I can just download it I figured it would be the perfect time to enjoy it and it makes me want to punch my kid self.

Characters declaring they're in love after knowing each other for like 3 days, everyone is in love with Miaka despite her probably being actually retarded, shitty forced drama. Not even nostalgia can save this trainwreck, but I do love the music.
I think the entire (first) series was a way to lampoon the self-insert power fantasy/Mary Sue in those kinds of stories. It was more noticeable with Yui than with Miaka, but given the two girls were literally sucked into a book and living out the story, and with how it moved forward (especially with the polarizing Eikouden OVA), I'm convinced it was Yuu Watase playing around with the audience while secretly making fun of herself. It just took forever to get to that revelation.

Owls Owls Owls

kiwifarms.net
I think the entire (first) series was a way to lampoon the self-insert power fantasy/Mary Sue in those kinds of stories. It was more noticeable with Yui than with Miaka, but given the two girls were literally sucked into a book and living out the story, and with how it moved forward (especially with the polarizing Eikouden OVA), I'm convinced it was Yuu Watase playing around with the audience while secretly making fun of herself. It just took forever to get to that revelation.

I would agree but then I read Ayashi no Ceres and it was similarly stupid. Heroine declares herself in love after a stupidly shot amount of time, drops out of highschool to work two jobs and live on an island with her undocumented man despite both of them being hunted by rich and powerful people who aren't afraid to kill a lot of civilians in their quest to murder them, is shocked when she becomes teen pregnant. Yet we're supposed to see Aya as this mature woman, so different from the girl she was a year before, when she enjoyed karaoke with her friends.

Also, the other guy she was supposed to have romantic tension with tried to rape her, and it was played as a "I am so in love with you I couldn't stop myself, I just have a pressing need to be as close to you as possible." Which I would hope would not fly today.

Maybe it's just an issue I have with Watase's stories. I think the only one I have enjoyed has been Zettai Kareshi and even then, I remember thinking the glasses guy was the better romantic choice. It has been almost two decades since I read it, though, so who knows how I'd feel about it today.

Does Escaflowne count as a girl anime? is like a shonen but its actually shojo

View attachment 3568238

I would consider it shoujo, yes. Like Rayearth. Romance and mecha.

Escaflowne I also watched far too long ago, but I also remember disliking it. I don't even remember the exact reason, I just wasn't impressed by it. I do remember the twist of the blond guy's little sister though. That made a bigger impression on me than anything else on the show.

I should watch the movie.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe it's just an issue I have with Watase's stories.
She's just your typical shoujo writer who knows she's writing power fantasy romance trash for teen girls so might as well have fun with them. More of a guilty pleasure creator though I can at least appreciate she knows how to play around with clichés of the genre, keeps things interesting. Have not read her BL works, though, not sure if those are done the same way or if those are much more straightforward like the fujoshi she is.

(Absolute Boyfriend was just so good.)

Black Bird would probably give you a conniption fit, then. That's another trashy romance guilty pleasure lol. (Where's my anime adaptation, dammit?)

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
I would agree but then I read Ayashi no Ceres and it was similarly stupid. Heroine declares herself in love after a stupidly shot amount of time, drops out of highschool to work two jobs and live on an island with her undocumented man despite both of them being hunted by rich and powerful people who aren't afraid to kill a lot of civilians in their quest to murder them, is shocked when she becomes teen pregnant. Yet we're supposed to see Aya as this mature woman, so different from the girl she was a year before, when she enjoyed karaoke with her friends.

Also, the other guy she was supposed to have romantic tension with tried to rape her, and it was played as a "I am so in love with you I couldn't stop myself, I just have a pressing need to be as close to you as possible." Which I would hope would not fly today.

Maybe it's just an issue I have with Watase's stories. I think the only one I have enjoyed has been Zettai Kareshi and even then, I remember thinking the glasses guy was the better romantic choice. It has been almost two decades since I read it, though, so who knows how I'd feel about it today.

I would consider it shoujo, yes. Like Rayearth. Romance and mecha.

Escaflowne I also watched far too long ago, but I also remember disliking it. I don't even remember the exact reason, I just wasn't impressed by it. I do remember the twist of the blond guy's little sister though. That made a bigger impression on me than anything else on the show.

I should watch the movie.
I haven't watch Escaflowne recently and don't remember it as anything that groundbreaking but i am always nostalgic for that era's style.

Also would include Slayers in the same boat
1659751265389.png