Anime/Manga - Discuss Japanese cartoons and comics here

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
No, I could care less about the fat part.

It's the sass that's getting to me.

I'm supposed to be the sassaaay one. :( My man is supposed to have two jobs.

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
[youtube]fe7kMlgCqLw[/youtube]
only anime I've ever botherd to watch in the past year

Niachu

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The Hunter said:

You keep tellin yourself that, hon.

Anyway, to get this thread slightly more back on topic, apparently Soul Eater will start playing on Adult Swim next Saturday. For anyone who hasn't seen it, now's your chance.

The Hunter

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Niachu said:
The Hunter said:

You keep tellin yourself that, hon.

Anyway, to get this thread slightly more back on topic, apparently Soul Eater will start playing on Adult Swim next Saturday. For anyone who hasn't seen it, now's your chance.
Yeah, I noticed. I was considering giving it another chance, but my brother says they really messed up the anime somehow. Then he says that it's just Bleach and Naruto mashed together. Come to think of it, my brother always goes back on his word for every little thing he suggests. The only thing he's yet to do that on is Jojo. He was always right about Jojo.

captkrisma

kiwifarms.net
My wife watches a bunch of anime (so I watch anime by default). Recently we've picked up "Is This A Zombie?" "Baka and Test", and "Steins:Gate".

Rio

Smug Elliot Page
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
captkrisma said:
My wife watches a bunch of anime (so I watch anime by default). Recently we've picked up "Is This A Zombie?" "Baka and Test", and "Steins:Gate".
I've seen Baka to Test and Steins;Gate. Steins;Gate is one of my all-time favorites, and baka to test has some really funny moments in it.

Anyone else like Azumanga?
I haven't seen it. Should I check it out?

Personally, I've been watching Psycho-Pass, Shinsekai Yori and Ixion Saga DT.

Psycho-pass is just a good show all round, despite a bit of a rough start. It takes a while to get going, but when it does get going it's really good.

Shinsekai Yori (also known as From the New World) is a difficult one to categorize. It's really good, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's original, has some pretty killer animation, an engaging story and generally seems to succeed at everything it's setting out to do. I'm really looking forward to the new episode.

Ixion Saga DT is a bit more difficult to justify. It's not necessarily a great show. The animation isn't great, the story's not amazing, but the comedy, though low-brow, can be really good sometimes. It's not a bad show if you're not expecting a masterpiece.

Niachu

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Rio said:

Yes and yes.

Azumanga is kinda like Lucky Star without alienating its audience with a bunch of otaku references and a sickeningly moe art style. I read it when I was 11 and I understood all of it. That was ADV was translating it and provided notes and a real funny and helpfully adaptive translation. Then Yen Press had to pick it up, reprint it and turn that and Yotsuba&! into a wretched mess of blandness on all conceivable levels and ruined the fun, eyecatching titles with boring and lazy 2nd grade photoshop AND JESUS WOULD IT KILL YOU TO USE A BETTER FONT--

...Moving on.

Anyway, yes. The anime is great and the dubbing is great, so I recommend that too.

spaps

I'LL FUCK YOU OFF AT NO COST
kiwifarms.net
One of my favorite animes is Birdy the Mighty: Decode.
[youtube]Jmg97-eoPgk[/youtube]
It's actually a reboot of an 80's OVA (which is impossible to find, except for the Spanish dub. Too bad I don't speak Spanish), just called Birdy the Mighty. The plot is hard to explain, but I can tell you that the first season is much better than the second.
I also like Yu-Gi-Oh Season 0 over the actual anime (or just the 4Kids dub).

Aiko Heiwa

Salt 'n' Genki
kiwifarms.net
Niachu said:
Rio said:

Yes and yes.

Azumanga is kinda like Lucky Star without alienating its audience with a bunch of otaku references and a sickeningly moe art style. I read it when I was 11 and I understood all of it. That was ADV was translating it and provided notes and a real funny and helpfully adaptive translation. Then Yen Press had to pick it up, reprint it and turn that and Yotsuba&! into a wretched mess of blandness on all conceivable levels and ruined the fun, eyecatching titles with boring and lazy 2nd grade photoshop AND JESUS WOULD IT KILL YOU TO USE A BETTER FONT--

...Moving on.

Anyway, yes. The anime is great and the dubbing is great, so I recommend that too.
Well ADV was a shit company so...

Aiko Heiwa

Salt 'n' Genki
kiwifarms.net
Personally, I find nothing wrong with Yen Press's translations. After all, everyone knows to truly appreciate animu and mangos, you need to learn SUPERIOR JAPANESE LANGUAGE.

Also I like to carry around all of Azumanga in one book.

Enig

Solid Style State Senzuri
kiwifarms.net
Is anyone else burnt out on anime due to the overbearing amount of "moe" out there now? I mean, the whole "cute girls" thing is good in some cases and all, but come on, there's got to be a peak to all of this.

The Hunter

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Enig said:
Is anyone else burnt out on anime due to the overbearing amount of "moe" out there now? I mean, the whole "cute girls" thing is good in some cases and all, but come on, there's got to be a peak to all of this.
My brother talks about that all the time, and ever since the new Jojo series, it all really does look like generic moe shit. I tend to stay away from those kinds anyways, but nothing's ever gonna be as great as JJBA.

Aiko Heiwa

Salt 'n' Genki
kiwifarms.net
Enig said:
Moe sells, simple as that.

The Hunter

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Oh, almost forgot Soul Eater's premiering tonight on Adult Swim. Looks like I get to see if it's as good as people tell me/as bad as my brother and friend tell me.

The Hunter

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The Hunter said:
Oh, almost forgot Soul Eater's premiering tonight on Adult Swim. Looks like I get to see if it's as good as people tell me/as bad as my brother and friend tell me.
Welp, I was gonna wait for the first commercial break to start reporting my findings, but this show's giving me a very bad first impression. Here's what I've gathered so far.

1.) The intro reminded me why I hate anime intros so much. The theme sucks, and every time someone walks into the room, I give this sort of look that says, "I don't want to be here, I'm just leaving the TV on for the sake of leaving the TV on."

2.) English voice actors suck, but that applies to nearly all anime ever in the existence of... well... existence. Main character sounds like the kind of prick you see hanging out in front of the mall, texting, staring at you waiting for you to glance back at him so he can turn his head down and say, "I'm totally ignoring you bro," and diving into mom's minivan before any of the cool kids see him. Again, this applies to a lot of stuff, but I don't think I can go through with this in English if the guy sounds like, well, yeah. Speaking of the main character,

3.) he sucks. Looks like how I assume his voice actor wishes he looked. Personality (if you could call it that) seems to be generic and reused relentlessly throughout manga/anime. Beginning to wonder why I'd even read the series when I was younger. Which leads me to this.

4.) It makes me miss the manga. That might be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you choose to interpret it. It's much more bearable to read it than it is to hear those grating American voices. Again, I'd probably want a subbed version, but that doesn't change this next point.

5.) The "humor" really really really sucks. Typical "kawaii desu RANDUM ECKS DEE" perverted humor that's only found in, oh, I don't know, 85% of all anime/manga. It's one thing to be able to tolerate it, but it's prevalent throughout this entire episode so far. I can stand it for a lot of things (namely Disgaea, because so far, I'm noticing there's a fair amount of it in that game), but not this much. For the love of God, not this much.

I was really considering just turning off the TV and crying myself to sleep, but I took the entire episode writing this post and I didn't want to turn the TV off because I thought it would get better (it didn't. It just got worse). Maybe, MAYBE I'll consider rereading the manga to see what appealed to me about it, but I think I'm done with the anime. It was disappointing to say the least.

tumblr_mdkq0gFg7S1r74cp8.gif

Rio

Smug Elliot Page
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Have you tried the sub? A lot of people seem to like it. Maybe it just doesn't translate well to English. I haven't seen it though.