Anime/Manga -

A single cheeto

Freelance Police Sped Unit
kiwifarms.net
oh, it wasn't an actual complaint. i was mostly joking about having a bone to pick with the series lol. it was surprising though, but i appreciate the series more for it.
ONEs works are usually pretty good. Even if his art isnt the best, hes a great storyteller.

Trilby

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was a fan of this show that was like a compilation of his works:

RIP Punch Man
Reminded he created this....
https://letsanime.blogspot.com/2007/07/scoopers.html

So why did the anime adaptation of the most beloved classic Canadian children's novel series of all-time never air in English in Canada? I had suspected that CBC didn't want it to compete with their own lavish live-action Anne of Green Gables miniseries starring Meagan Follows but I just looked it up and found out that it didn't air until December 1985, over 6 years after the anime was made. Even given that western anime licensing was, at best, an afterthought to Japanese studios in 1979 and the few anime shows that did make it to English-language television in North America usually took around 3 years to be licensed and localized, that would mean that a hypothetical English-Canadian dub of the Anne of Green Gables anime would have started airing around 1982. As such, by the time the CBC's live-action series aired three years later, the localization of the Japanese animated version would have already been old news.

I think perhaps it was just that French-Canadian kids were more open to watching anime dubbed than their English-Canadian counterparts back in the 1980s, since Francophones were far more used to watching TV shows and movies that were dubbed from another language, quite often from English. It seems like a weak reason to reject something now that anime is well-accepted but maybe English-speaking Canadian kids embracing a foreign adaptation of a Canadian classic was just too far-fetched an idea for English-language Canadian public television channels in the pre-"Sailor Moon on YTV" era.
I wish I knew the answer. It's true though French Canada (practically Quebec alone) embraced anime a lot more than the rest of the country given what got on the airwaves back then. The amount of French-dubbed Japanese cartoons that managed to get airplay in Quebec is quite unique and amazing compared to what meager pickings the rest of the country had.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
Just wanna give a quick shout-out to @Fougaro for bringing attention to Shadow Skill. I finished it this afternoon, and it was indeed a fun series. Like no joke, each episode went by so quick for me that I'm convinced this is probably the only martial arts anime with excellent pacing because I'm not a big fan of martial arts anime to begin with. But Elle and Gau were just way too much fun, as were some of the side characters, and the dub was great. Had weird moments for being one of ADV's later dubs, but it was enjoyable. The music's fantastic, too, the soundtrack was appropriate, "Born Legend" is one of the more unique openings I've heard in ages and the EDs are catchy.

Well, actually speaking of pacing, some of the timeframe skipped around a lot in some cases, like that was weird placement for a few episodes here and there, and you can totally tell that Studio Deen just had no budget to speak of, but I was impressed with the digital coloring for a 1998 anime. Has some beautiful art, and again, the OP should pretty much just be GOAT alongside classics like Evangelion, Escaflowne, El Hazard TV series, stuff like that that I never skipped--really couldn't if I wanted to due to watching it on the Xbox One on a jittery connection, but I never wanted to skip it.

Recommended it to a mutual friend not long ago, don't know if he started it yet. F*cking monkey.

Reactions: Fougaro

Cedric_Eff

I’m the Lord of the Harvest!
kiwifarms.net
I’m more of a manga person, but I finally got through the Election Arc of Hunter x Hunter! Holy shit was it not my type of story. But I did find it some elements weird tho.

Reactions: Violence Jack

BanalEntropy

kiwifarms.net
Anyone else looking forward to the new Code Geass movie? I'm super late but this was my favorite anime for the longest time so I'm stoked.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
The newest chapter of Black Lagoon is due soon and it can't come soon enough. For old time's sake:

That scene never gets old to me.

Speaking of good anime...
Just wanna give a quick shout-out to @Fougaro for bringing attention to Shadow Skill. I finished it this afternoon, and it was indeed a fun series. Like no joke, each episode went by so quick for me that I'm convinced this is probably the only martial arts anime with excellent pacing because I'm not a big fan of martial arts anime to begin with. But Elle and Gau were just way too much fun, as were some of the side characters, and the dub was great. Had weird moments for being one of ADV's later dubs, but it was enjoyable. The music's fantastic, too, the soundtrack was appropriate, "Born Legend" is one of the more unique openings I've heard in ages and the EDs are catchy.

Well, actually speaking of pacing, some of the timeframe skipped around a lot in some cases, like that was weird placement for a few episodes here and there, and you can totally tell that Studio Deen just had no budget to speak of, but I was impressed with the digital coloring for a 1998 anime. Has some beautiful art, and again, the OP should pretty much just be GOAT alongside classics like Evangelion, Escaflowne, El Hazard TV series, stuff like that that I never skipped--really couldn't if I wanted to due to watching it on the Xbox One on a jittery connection, but I never wanted to skip it.

Recommended it to a mutual friend not long ago, don't know if he started it yet. F*cking monkey.
Shadow Skill is so criminally underrated it hurts. As said, the series is fun and it has very likable characters and dear God is "Born Legend" such a thing of beauty. ?

I also felt bad for the sculptor at the end. That motherfucker never got to finish Elle's statue and Gau has already been declared as the 60th Sevaar...

RepQuest

Unfunny
kiwifarms.net
Anyone else looking forward to the new Code Geass movie? I'm super late but this was my favorite anime for the longest time so I'm stoked.

I expect it to be a clusterfuck, and the spoilers I've read seem to indicate that it will be, but that should be expected of any Code Geass thing. I'll have to check it out to see whether it will be any good or at the very least entertaining, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for it, too.

Ali della Fenice

Tigrotto mafioso
kiwifarms.net
been rewatching the original tigermask from 1969.
I liked it way more than I did as a kid.
It is way more deep than I remembered and a good representation of japanese society of that time. Of course the animation hasnt aged well but the content more than makes up for it. Plus I love Naoto as a character. He is what every man should aspire to be.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
been rewatching the original tigermask from 1969.
I liked it way more than I did as a kid.
It is way more deep than I remembered and a good representation of japanese society of that time. Of course the animation hasnt aged well but the content more than makes up for it. Plus I love Naoto as a character. He is what every man should aspire to be.
Man, I wish this would get subbed, but if I can find the Italian subs, I'll probably watch it anyway because I reaaaally want to watch it. Tiger Mask W was hard to watch because of Toei being Toei (like hoooooly shit that was some fucking awful animation), but I also was rather lost at times because I think it portrayed itself as a direct sequel from Tiger Mask Nisei. It's like similar to how Ultimate Muscle is a direct sequel of the 47-episode Kinnikuman sequel, but I never felt lost from that if only because they gave brief flashbacks/recaps to fights from the original series and it never felt shoehorned in for the most part. Which is pretty impressive, honestly.

Actually, I got a question about Tiger Mask W for fans of the original: Is it really as bad as I thought it was, or was it simply because I never knew anything about the original series and therefore it wasn't newcomer-friendly?

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino