Anime/Manga -

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
From my post in the "Your First Anime" thread.

TV Ontario showed a handful of non-giant-robot-related anime like Belle and Sebastian (Meiken Jolie), Fables of the Green Forest, and The Little Prince,
This is an aside I thought of mentioning but it would have been off-topic in that thread. I was talking about English-dubbed Japanese anime shown on TV Ontario when I was a tween in the mid-1980s and I think those same anime were shown on other provincial public television networks across Canada.

There's one weird omission that you would think would have been all over Canadian public television in that general era, the 1979 Anne of Green Gables (赤毛のアン Akage no An) TV series based on the books by Lucy Maud Montgomery that was produced by Nippon Animation, a studio that specializes in literature adaptations, and which was directed by Studio Ghibli co-founder, the late Isao Takahata. But as far as I can tell, the Anne of Green Gables anime was only ever aired in Canada in French on Radio-Canada (the French-language version of CBC).

What's weirder about the Anne of Green Gables anime never being shown in English in Canada is that an English dub of Anne of Green Gables did exist in the era, based on the German version and it was dubbed in South Africa for SABC.

So why did the anime adaptation of the most beloved classic Canadian children's novel series of all-time never air in English in Canada? I had suspected that CBC didn't want it to compete with their own lavish live-action Anne of Green Gables miniseries starring Meagan Follows but I just looked it up and found out that it didn't air until December 1985, over 6 years after the anime was made. Even given that western anime licensing was, at best, an afterthought to Japanese studios in 1979 and the few anime shows that did make it to English-language television in North America usually took around 3 years to be licensed and localized, that would mean that a hypothetical English-Canadian dub of the Anne of Green Gables anime would have started airing around 1982. As such, by the time the CBC's live-action series aired three years later, the localization of the Japanese animated version would have already been old news.

I think perhaps it was just that French-Canadian kids were more open to watching anime dubbed than their English-Canadian counterparts back in the 1980s, since Francophones were far more used to watching TV shows and movies that were dubbed from another language, quite often from English. It seems like a weak reason to reject something now that anime is well-accepted but maybe English-speaking Canadian kids embracing a foreign adaptation of a Canadian classic was just too far-fetched an idea for English-language Canadian public television channels in the pre-"Sailor Moon on YTV" era.

• Informative
Reactions: Trilby

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
From my post in the "Your First Anime" thread.

This is an aside I thought of mentioning but it would have been off-topic in that thread. I was talking about English-dubbed Japanese anime shown on TV Ontario when I was a tween in the mid-1980s and I think those same anime were shown on other provincial public television networks across Canada.

There's one weird omission that you would think would have been all over Canadian public television in that general era, the 1979 Anne of Green Gables (赤毛のアン Akage no An) TV series based on the books by Lucy Maud Montgomery that was produced by Nippon Animation, a studio that specializes in literature adaptations, and which was directed by Studio Ghibli co-founder, the late Isao Takahata. But as far as I can tell, the Anne of Green Gables anime was only ever aired in Canada in French on Radio-Canada (the French-language version of CBC).

What's weirder about the Anne of Green Gables anime never being shown in English in Canada is that an English dub of Anne of Green Gables did exist in the era, based on the German version and it was dubbed in South Africa for SABC.

So why did the anime adaptation of the most beloved classic Canadian children's novel series of all-time never air in English in Canada? I had suspected that CBC didn't want it to compete with their own lavish live-action Anne of Green Gables miniseries starring Meagan Follows but I just looked it up and found out that it didn't air until December 1985, over 6 years after the anime was made. Even given that western anime licensing was, at best, an afterthought to Japanese studios in 1979 and the few anime shows that did make it to English-language television in North America usually took around 3 years to be licensed and localized, that would mean that a hypothetical English-Canadian dub of the Anne of Green Gables anime would have started airing around 1982. As such, by the time the CBC's live-action series aired three years later, the localization of the Japanese animated version would have already been old news.

I think perhaps it was just that French-Canadian kids were more open to watching anime dubbed than their English-Canadian counterparts back in the 1980s, since Francophones were far more used to watching TV shows and movies that were dubbed from another language, quite often from English. It seems like a weak reason to reject something now that anime is well-accepted but maybe English-speaking Canadian kids embracing a foreign adaptation of a Canadian classic was just too far-fetched an idea for English-language Canadian public television channels in the pre-"Sailor Moon on YTV" era.
I assume the Montgomery estate doesn't want to have people knowing that the best take on the book is Japanese and animated.

Canadian dubbing was in its infancy at the time too, I believe.

Reactions: Trilby and sasazuka

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
So I've been watching Ranma 1/2 off-and-on for a few years (I've been slowly buying the DVDs), and I think it's a fine show, I like it better than InuYasha in terms of enjoyability, in that at least I'm not bored with it 'specially so far in. I'm aware this is considered one of the first anime dubs that took itself more seriously in trying to actually be a good or well-produced dub despite sounding awkward nowadays. But with episode 94, I started questioning that when they mentioned Pokémon a few times, like... that was the best they could come up with? I didn't check the subs like I should've to see what was originally used, but really? Pokémon? And here I thought Ranma came off as a bit of a timeless dub 'til then.

'Tis pretty silly.

Oh, since I'm on the topic, once I finish Ranma, what should the next Takahashi anime I watch be? I'm trying to decide between Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku, but if there's any other suggestions, I'll take 'em.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
Oh I thought that was about Tamers for a second there, and I started getting hyped and frightened all at the same time.

Fuck you, Toei, thanks to Tri, now I'm never going to trust if you can do a Tamers sequel properly.

Recently watched Saiki K and Devilman Crybaby on Netflix, recommend both. I'm a reformed Weeb, but they both were really good in terms of storylines, especially Saiki K.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
I made it through about half of Den-noh Coil, but I'm out.

It's an interesting premise; in the near future, effectively everyone wears AR glasses that lets them see pets and other creatures that don't actually exist in the real world. Some kids are exploring "illegals," which are like bugs in the system which tend to get hunted down and destroyed by Searchies, large floating monsters built for this purpose.

The problem is that they don't really clear up the rules for how the AR world works. Searchies will chase after humans who have illegals with them, and the kids seem to react in mortal fear when this happens, but how does being "attacked" in the AR world hurt them in the real world? There doesn't seem to be any sort of "if you die in the game, YOU DIE IN THE REAL WORLD" thing, and the times that lesser characters are attacked with AR weapons, they don't seem to be permanently hurt or anything like that. It doesn't really make much sense. In the last episode I saw, the kids tried to move a large illegal from one part of town to another, but they had to do it in the early morning because that illegal could only travel in darkness and was injured by light. Why? No other illegal was affected by light that way. And why would light in the real world injure a creature in the AR world? Never mind that the episode as a whole was a clear filler ep that had no effect on the greater plot. It was dumb.

On the other hand, I liked the character design and the overall look of the show, with its muted colors and decent animation.

averagejane

please pluck your nose hairs.
kiwifarms.net
i have a bone to pick with season 2 of mob psycho 100 because that shit tugged at my heartstrings way too much what the fuck. was not expecting that coming into this series. i usually don't fall for wholesome stuff but it really got to me several times.

A single cheeto

99.9% pure dumbass
kiwifarms.net
i have a bone to pick with season 2 of mob psycho 100 because that shit tugged at my heartstrings way too much what the fuck. was not expecting that coming into this series. i usually don't fall for wholesome stuff but it really got to me several times.
Are you a manga and anime or only anime? Theres some pretty funny omakes they left.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net

Somari1996

I have amazing taste
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On a tangent, I have a hunch that an English dub of Non Non Biyori will be announced soon to tie in with the western release of the movie.
While I'd like a dub of Non Non Biyori as well, I just don't like the idea of Funimation and Sentai releasing these shows on dvd subbed only, just so they can re-release it 2 or 3 years later with a new dub, kinda screwing over the people who already bought the subbed versions. Already annoyed that they're doing it with Nichijou when they could have made a dub back when they released it on home video back in 2017.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sasazuka

BigNinjaDaddy

Why is it peaceful? I live to defeat evil villains
kiwifarms.net
Nichijou is getting Dubbed!
https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1117937095581085702
Really hope they outsource this one to LA since I don't trust Funi with their own VAs on something like this.
While I'd like a dub of Non Non Biyori as well, I just don't like the idea of Funimation and Sentai releasing these shows on dvd subbed only, just so they can re-release it 2 or 3 years later with a new dub, kinda screwing over the people who already bought the subbed versions. Already annoyed that they're doing it with Nichijou when they could have made a dub back when they released it on home video back in 2017.
I'm glad I waited to buy this now that it's confirmed it's getting a dub. Whoever dubs this I hope Brittney Karbowski and Kira Vincent-Davis get cast in it.

Hopefully they will have a trade in program for people who bought the sub only release. I know Sentai has done that it the past where you could get like $20-$30 off the new release with a dub. I can't remember if Funimation has done something like that though.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino