Anime/Manga - Discuss Japanese cartoons and comics here

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It happened way more than you would think.
from what I can tell in Italy, at least on national TV, anime got banned pretty much immediately, because of violence complaints. I think the culprit was MazingerZ, but Im not sure. We're talking about the 70s, I think.
All the anime kids grew up with during the mid 70s, 80s and 90s, were aired by regional tv stations.
That only ever came about after Italy passed laws that allowed region/private stations to exist, as prior to the late 70's, all TV in the country had been state-owned. I wouldn't doubt the influx of Japanese cartoons was due to these new channels needing something to play and grabbed what they could without concern for the public.

• Agree
Reactions: Ali della Fenice

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
I just recently got into Saint Seiya * through the Lost Canvas on Netflix* and I am deeply saddened it never took off in the US like it did in our Southern brethren's land.

It also reintroduced me to my childhood friend DIC* the guys who originally dubbed Sailor Moon*
Good ol' DIC

Ali della Fenice

Tigrotto mafioso
kiwifarms.net
Prison School Vol. 1, this manga is raunchy. The moment you see the principal you expect him to be this wise old sage but instead you get the complete opposite, the art is fantastic.

I Always thought him to be some kinf of self insert of the autor. Daigo himself draws hentai too, so it would be no surprise.

Null

kiwifarms.net
I forced myself to watch all of Lain and I have to say it was complete and utter shit. The entire series should have been a 1 to 2 hour long OVA. The show was 50% lingering close-ups on emotionless faces and 25% lingering shots of electrical wires. The other 25% was noise. It felt like it was pretending to be a lot deeper than it actually was and I didn't walk away from it with any strong feelings other than irritation. I don't even know why I forced myself to sit through it. The ending was the best part because it actually had meaning with a bonus of being the last of the shitty fucking show.

Marcus the Mong

kiwifarms.net
While I love Lain, I do think that Konata's scripts feel "stretched".
It's the same with Texhnolyze and Big O, strong start and ending, but the middle at times feels like it's going nowhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Marco Fucko

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
Wow, Null's taste is utter shit.

I liked Lain, although it's been a while since I've seen it.

Still, while there are some works which you have to take seriously even if you don't like them, I don't believe Lain is at that sort of level.

If you say "Tolkein's Lord of the Rings is shit" I'd dismiss your opinions as idiotic. If you say "Lain is shit" I'd disagree, but I'd read your arguments.

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
Wasn't Lain originally created/written in such a way so as to create a West vs. East war over the anime except it caused the exact opposite of what was intended?

I've heard that, but I never really heard the idea explained -- like, say, they expected Western audiences to identify Lain's father as God and Eastern ones to identify Lain as a Buddha, or something like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Wärring Ornac

Null

kiwifarms.net
I didn't even know you dabbled with anime @Null. Do you have a favorite?
I don't watch an anime unless I'm curious about it, same with movies or books. I do not seek it out.

I remember enjoying Higurashi the most and vividly remember a scene where a 6 year old girl hammers a kitchen knife into her brain because her friend is going to torture her and she doesn't want to endure it.

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't watch an anime unless I'm curious about it, same with movies or books. I do not seek it out.

I remember enjoying Higurashi the most and vividly remember a scene where a 6 year old girl hammers a kitchen knife into her brain because her friend is going to torture her and she doesn't want to endure it.

You just redeemed your taste, dear leader.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Would you smash Takano?

I'd smash her face in with a baseball bat.

El Porko Fako

Significantly different from other men
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This scene made me laugh my ass off for maybe a minute straight when I first watched Higurashi Kai. It was funny because Takano was such a mellow character up to that point in the show and it's even funnier in retrospect after you know what her motivations are.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
HAUUUU OMOCHIKAERIIII

God, it's really sad how hard Geneon dropped the ball with the dub because they had a really good cast but shitty execution; such a fucking shame because what I'd give to hear Karen Strassman's performance in Kai, I thought she was a good voice for Takano. It needs a redub badly, and I'm pissed Sentai hasn't offered to do it yet.

Ali della Fenice

Tigrotto mafioso
kiwifarms.net
I figure this might also be a good place to ask:
A friend of mine is subbing tigermask from 1969 and Im helping him a bit with the translation, the italian dubbed version.
If someone is interested and wants to watch the episodes that have been done, you can pm me and I'll send you the links.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So hey, if anyone’s a fan of Something Witty Entertainment(the ones that do SAO Abridged), they just premiered their next project.

Boku no Hero Acadamia Abridged.

• Informative

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So hey, if anyone’s a fan of Something Witty Entertainment(the ones that do SAO Abridged), they just premiered their next project.

Boku no Hero Acadamia Abridged.

I like these guys but adapting something more longform might be a mistake. Also I want more SAO abridged.

Reactions: Akumaten

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like these guys but adapting something more longform might be a mistake. Also I want more SAO abridged.
They’re still working on SAO Abridged as well. And they’re doing something unique with the BnHA storyline that makes me really interested to see where they go with it.

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking