Anime/Manga -

Ali della Fenice

Cosa credi, che abbia perso la forza?
kiwifarms.net
been rewatching the original tigermask from 1969.
I liked it way more than I did as a kid.
It is way more deep than I remembered and a good representation of japanese society of that time. Of course the animation hasnt aged well but the content more than makes up for it. Plus I love Naoto as a character. He is what every man should aspire to be.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
been rewatching the original tigermask from 1969.
I liked it way more than I did as a kid.
It is way more deep than I remembered and a good representation of japanese society of that time. Of course the animation hasnt aged well but the content more than makes up for it. Plus I love Naoto as a character. He is what every man should aspire to be.
Man, I wish this would get subbed, but if I can find the Italian subs, I'll probably watch it anyway because I reaaaally want to watch it. Tiger Mask W was hard to watch because of Toei being Toei (like hoooooly shit that was some fucking awful animation), but I also was rather lost at times because I think it portrayed itself as a direct sequel from Tiger Mask Nisei. It's like similar to how Ultimate Muscle is a direct sequel of the 47-episode Kinnikuman sequel, but I never felt lost from that if only because they gave brief flashbacks/recaps to fights from the original series and it never felt shoehorned in for the most part. Which is pretty impressive, honestly.

Actually, I got a question about Tiger Mask W for fans of the original: Is it really as bad as I thought it was, or was it simply because I never knew anything about the original series and therefore it wasn't newcomer-friendly?

Ali della Fenice

kiwifarms.net
Man, I wish this would get subbed, but if I can find the Italian subs, I'll probably watch it anyway because I reaaaally want to watch it. Tiger Mask W was hard to watch because of Toei being Toei (like hoooooly shit that was some fucking awful animation), but I also was rather lost at times because I think it portrayed itself as a direct sequel from Tiger Mask Nisei. It's like similar to how Ultimate Muscle is a direct sequel of the 47-episode Kinnikuman sequel, but I never felt lost from that if only because they gave brief flashbacks/recaps to fights from the original series and it never felt shoehorned in for the most part. Which is pretty impressive, honestly.

Actually, I got a question about Tiger Mask W for fans of the original: Is it really as bad as I thought it was, or was it simply because I never knew anything about the original series and therefore it wasn't newcomer-friendly?
it's definitely easier to find the italian dubbed version I think, than one subbed.
as for tiger mask W, I have no idea, since I havent seen it, but even tiger mask nisei, Which I have seen, was definitely inferior to the original in pretty much everything.

And I recently just learned that the manga had a completely different ending compared to the anime, which got nisei and W as sequels.

Im curious though, what did you find confusing about W? It shouldnt really be hard to recap tiger mask story, so it's pretty baffled that they messed that up and made it confusing.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
it's definitely easier to find the italian dubbed version I think, than one subbed.
as for tiger mask W, I have no idea, since I havent seen it, but even tiger mask nisei, Which I have seen, was definitely inferior to the original in pretty much everything.
Well fuck lol.

Im curious though, what did you find confusing about W? It shouldnt really be hard to recap tiger mask story, so it's pretty baffled that they messed that up and made it confusing.
Admittedly, I spaced out a lot throughout the series and any time there was wrestling, it sucked thanks to shitty animation. But I remember watching the first episode and it felt like it was a direct continuation because the characters were talking about some previous scenarios but then weren't explaining what they were, and I have no idea if a busty blonde woman was a previous character with a history or not, but she was like evil or something. Hell, I think the main character was coming out of something like a coma or some training and was acting like it happened not long ago when I think the show was in modern times?

I think it's telling when the character bios on MAL doesn't tell you shit about who they are. Naoto is supposed to still be Tiger Mask, but apparently it's a different Naoto? FUCK, I'm so confused.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For those that read Komisan wa Komyushou desu

Drama’s coming up fast!

Ali della Fenice

kiwifarms.net
Well fuck lol.

Admittedly, I spaced out a lot throughout the series and any time there was wrestling, it sucked thanks to shitty animation. But I remember watching the first episode and it felt like it was a direct continuation because the characters were talking about some previous scenarios but then weren't explaining what they were, and I have no idea if a busty blonde woman was a previous character with a history or not, but she was like evil or something. Hell, I think the main character was coming out of something like a coma or some training and was acting like it happened not long ago when I think the show was in modern times?

I think it's telling when the character bios on MAL doesn't tell you shit about who they are. Naoto is supposed to still be Tiger Mask, but apparently it's a different Naoto? FUCK, I'm so confused.
Yeah it is a different naoto.
From the few snippets of story of W I've read, I can tell you that it takes place 30 years roughly after tm1. Nisei should be only 9 years after.
I can also tell you current naoto's trainer is a returning character from 1 and the blonde chick (miss x)is a reference to mister x a recurring villain in tm1.
Needless to say she looks nothing like a female version of that guy.

I'll see if I can find a subbed version and if I do, I'll link it to you.

Last edited:

Trilby

I got stupid cool hip-hop style!
kiwifarms.net
From the few snippets of story of W I've read, I can tell you that it takes place 30 years roughly after tm1. Nisei should be only 9 years after.
I can also tell you current naoto's trainer is a returning character from 1 and the blonde chick (miss x)is a reference to mister x a recurring villain in tm1.

I'm glad someone brought up Tiger Mask here at all! Really obscure stuff around the US!

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
I fucking hate it when they do those "30 years later" sequels just so they could modernize it, but it's worse when they don't bring newcomers up to speed or at least make it feel more original so it doesn't have to stand on the shoulders of its predecessor and therefore alienate said-newcomers. I think it didn't help that they kept bringing up the long-time rivalry of Tiger Mask and Tiger the Dark (is that really the name?) like it was one of those predestined rivalries but then never elaborated on it. They just expected you to accept they had a rivalry.

Also rofl that character bio vs. character picture.

Oh yeah, and which is the more accurate translation, "Tiger's Den" or "Tiger's Lair"? None of these bios and synopses are consistent.

Lmao they literally needed a big-titty woman just to bring in newcomers, then. That's where all the budget went to was towards her.

That'd be awesome, thanks.

Ali della Fenice

kiwifarms.net
I'm glad someone brought up Tiger Mask here at all! Really obscure stuff around the US!
yeah it's strange that it was never translated or subbed in english. Maybe because when anime got popular in the Us, this was already pretty old? This is a classic, kinda like what ''promessi sposi'' is to italian literature, tiger mask is the equivalent of that but for anime.

I fucking hate it when they do those "30 years later" sequels just so they could modernize it, but it's worse when they don't bring newcomers up to speed or at least make it feel more original so it doesn't have to stand on the shoulders of its predecessor and therefore alienate said-newcomers. I think it didn't help that they kept bringing up the long-time rivalry of Tiger Mask and Tiger the Dark (is that really the name?) like it was one of those predestined rivalries but then never elaborated on it. They just expected you to accept they had a rivalry.

Also rofl that character bio vs. character picture.
View attachment 734062

Oh yeah, and which is the more accurate translation, "Tiger's Den" or "Tiger's Lair"? None of these bios and synopses are consistent.

Lmao they literally needed a big-titty woman just to bring in newcomers, then. That's where all the budget went to was towards her.

That'd be awesome, thanks.
actually I think it's even more than 30 years, it should be 45, which is even more ludicrous.
that guy in the picture is who I was referring to. Damn, he looks like shit, lol.

Looking for info, I've seen some screenshots of W, where there's a guy that looks like Mr.X from tigermask1 + the dude who has a white tiger costume, which looks like the original boss of Tiger's cave (this should be the proper name, since you see this in The original anime, written on the jeeps they use to move around at their base)
Dont know what the story is, but seems weird to have the same exact characters just 45 years later.

As for the subs, I've looked around andI dont think they are a thing sadly. If you can understand italian, I think watching in that language is better than not watching it at all, but I'll keep looking, or I can give you the links for that version if you want.

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
While I'd like a dub of Non Non Biyori as well, I just don't like the idea of Funimation and Sentai releasing these shows on dvd subbed only, just so they can re-release it 2 or 3 years later with a new dub, kinda screwing over the people who already bought the subbed versions. Already annoyed that they're doing it with Nichijou when they could have made a dub back when they released it on home video back in 2017.
Non Non Biyori doesn't seem like a show that would work with 35 year old voices.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
yeah it's strange that it was never translated or subbed in english. Maybe because when anime got popular in the Us, this was already pretty old? This is a classic, kinda like what ''promessi sposi'' is to italian literature, tiger mask is the equivalent of that but for anime.
I wonder if most of the time it's because of a lack of raws, on top of demand for such subs. You'd think with Tiger Mask W interest would skyrocket and subs would become more available, but nope. Laughing Salesman had it better off than Tiger Mask. Orphan Subs I think would be the perfect fan-subbing group to tackle it, but I don't think they do long series like that. Maybe if we're lucky, whoever's behind the Kinnikuman subs will pick it up (eventually, whenever they finish the first series--then there's its sequel if they have it...).

Looking for info, I've seen some screenshots of W, where there's a guy that looks like Mr.X from tigermask1 + the dude who has a white tiger costume, which looks like the original boss of Tiger's cave (this should be the proper name, since you see this in The original anime, written on the jeeps they use to move around at their base)
Interesting.

Dont know what the story is, but seems weird to have the same exact characters just 45 years later.
I'm chalking it up to Toei just being really lazy about it. You'd think they'd treat this better than they did given its popularity in Nipponland, but nope.

As for the subs, I've looked around andI dont think they are a thing sadly. If you can understand italian, I think watching in that language is better than not watching it at all, but I'll keep looking, or I can give you the links for that version if you want.
Damn. Yeah, can't understand Italian, but in all honesty, I'll take it; if you find something else, pass that along as well. Kinda funny that no one attempted English subs with the Italian dub, but purists will be purists.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
I wonder if most of the time it's because of a lack of raws, on top of demand for such subs. You'd think with Tiger Mask W interest would skyrocket and subs would become more available, but nope. Laughing Salesman had it better off than Tiger Mask. Orphan Subs I think would be the perfect fan-subbing group to tackle it, but I don't think they do long series like that. Maybe if we're lucky, whoever's behind the Kinnikuman subs will pick it up (eventually, whenever they finish the first series--then there's its sequel if they have it...).
Generally, old shows suffer when it comes to subbing because there's a lack of people who want to translate the show, especially when you consider it isn't going to be too popular on the torrents.

Your best bet is to learn Italian. Just about everything was dubbed in Italy back in the day.

Trilby

kiwifarms.net
Generally, old shows suffer when it comes to subbing because there's a lack of people who want to translate the show, especially when you consider it isn't going to be too popular on the torrents.

Your best bet is to learn Italian. Just about everything was dubbed in Italy back in the day.
Italy was pretty lucky to get any of it at all, someone told me once it was because it was actually cheaper for these studios to sell to them than it was to the US. If so, that explains that influx very well given how many of these shows clogged the Italian airwaves in the 70's, 80's and such.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
Having worked on actual industry-level translations; it's weird how people are both fascinated with the 'power' of translating but also abandon it in a heartbeat. You can entertain 25.000 kids with a few hours of work, yet it gets boring after one.

Anyway, at this point I've basically abandoned anime. It makes for good screencaps, but seeing how much is conveyed and how easily in manga, there's just very little appeal in anime. Manga panels don't show more than an anime frame, but it's not 80% backgrounds and 12 seconds is two windows.

How can you enjoy both? Do people really only return to anime for mangas they've read to see how they hold up etc? Ironically I finished two 'new' manga the day they got released as ep 1.

• Winner
Reactions: LeLLinne and Trilby

Ali della Fenice

kiwifarms.net
Italy was pretty lucky to get any of it at all, someone told me once it was because it was actually cheaper for these studios to sell to them than it was to the US. If so, that explains that influx very well given how many of these shows clogged the Italian airwaves in the 70's, 80's and such.
yeah, in this aspect italy was pretty lucky. I think it is the only or at least one of the few european countries, where they got like 80-90% of all the japanese anime output from that period and even if the budget allocated to the dubbing was low for most of the shows, they were all treated in at least a decent way.

then for contrast, for example france made a mess out of the dub of fist of the North star, because they deemed it a stupid show for children.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Trilby

kiwifarms.net
yeah, in this aspect italy was pretty lucky. I think it is the only or at least one of the few european countries, where they got like 80-90% of all the japanese anime output from that period and even if the budget allocated to the dubbing was low for most of the shows, they were all treated in at least a decent way.

then for contrast, for example france made a mess out of the dub of fist of the North star, because they deemed it a stupid show for children.
French dubs are quite insipid in that respect. I'm sure most producers saw it as kiddie pap anyway.

ATaxingWoman

Stefannie Lööfven, Professional Tax Investigator
kiwifarms.net
I'm sure most producers saw it as kiddie pap anyway
That wasn't the last time French TV made the mistake of thinking a not-so-child-friendly anime series was very child-friendly. In 1993, Club Dorothée thought it would be a great idea to air Onii-sama e.
However, they only aired seven extremely censored episodes before the HORRIFIED and SHOCKED people at TF1 decided to take it off air because they had discovered the show revolved around things like drug/psychological abuse and lesbianism and unsurprisingly, showing that on French children's TV in the early 90s wasn't (and still isn't) very PC. One would think that they would have bothered to research the shows they were going to air beforehand, but apparently not. Dorothée from CD even showed up on TF1's evening news program in order to apologize and try to get people to calm down.

Trilby

kiwifarms.net
That wasn't the last time French TV made the mistake of thinking a not-so-child-friendly anime series was very child-friendly. In 1993, Club Dorothée thought it would be a great idea to air Onii-sama e.
However, they only aired seven extremely censored episodes before the HORRIFIED and SHOCKED people at TF1 decided to take it off air because they had discovered the show revolved around things like drug/psychological abuse and lesbianism and unsurprisingly, showing that on French children's TV in the early 90s wasn't (and still isn't) very PC. One would think that they would have bothered to research the shows they were going to air beforehand, but apparently not. Dorothée from CD even showed up on TF1's evening news program in order to apologize and try to get people to calm down.
Damn! Funny that happened at all. All those uncomfortable questions the kids probably had for their parents!

Reactions: ATaxingWoman

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
One would think that they would have bothered to research the shows they were going to air beforehand, but apparently not.
Sounds like the people working on the episodes may have tricked the broadcasters into airing it before they caught on. Actually is interesting other countries can be just as anal as American airwaves in what they could show to children while also picking up titles they never bothered to research. (Looking at you, 4KIDS.)

Although package deals were a thing, so maybe they only agreed to get it for one title, but still didn't want to waste the license. Funny that this was just before Sailor Moon took off; how did they handle Sailors Uranus and Neptune, I wonder.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino