Anime/Manga -

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So hey, if anyone’s a fan of Something Witty Entertainment(the ones that do SAO Abridged), they just premiered their next project.

Boku no Hero Acadamia Abridged.

• Informative
Reactions: Marco Fucko

Marco Fucko

Has acquired abilities of the Dark Gundam.
kiwifarms.net
So hey, if anyone’s a fan of Something Witty Entertainment(the ones that do SAO Abridged), they just premiered their next project.

Boku no Hero Acadamia Abridged.
I like these guys but adapting something more longform might be a mistake. Also I want more SAO abridged.

Reactions: Akumaten

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like these guys but adapting something more longform might be a mistake. Also I want more SAO abridged.
They’re still working on SAO Abridged as well. And they’re doing something unique with the BnHA storyline that makes me really interested to see where they go with it.

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Marco Fucko

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I noticed someone did this, over 4 hours worth of Cartoon Network's "Night of the Vampire Robots" marathon from 1995! It starts towards the end of Robot Carnival, moves through Vampire Hunter D and finishes up with Twilight of the Cockroaches, complete with original commercial breaks and all! Here's a chance to sample the glory days of this network!

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy shit!

So when I was like 3-5, I was at my friends place for New Years with my family, I kinda wander off by myself and saw this weird cartoon that was on one of the TVs. It was way different than other cartoons I’d seen, really dark and seemed a lot more serious. It actually kinda freaked me out, but it kept holding my attention despite only being able to watch parts of it(because I felt like I was gonna get in trouble for watching it, so I’d change the channel real fast when someone came to check on me). Once I was older, I realized it had been some kind of anime, but I never remembered the name, nor did I really remember enough of the plot to track it down.

But just now on YouTube I clicked an anime short film at random and recognized it as part of what I’d seen. Robot Carnival.

No joke, this thing has been in the back of my mind for almost my whole life. It’s a weird feeling finally finding out what it was.

Last edited:

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy shit!

So when I was like 3-5, I was at my friends place for New Years with my family, I kinda wander off by myself and saw this weird cartoon that was on one of the TVs. It was way different than other cartoons I’d seen, really dark and seemed a lot more serious. It actually kinda freaked me out, but it kept holding my attention despite only being able to watch parts of it(because I felt like I was gonna get in trouble for watching it, so I’d change the channel real fast when someone came to check on me). Once I was older, I realized it had been some kind of anime, but I never remembered the name, nor did I really remember enough of the plot to track it down.

But just now on YouTube I clicked an anime shirt film at random and recognized it as part of what I’d seen. Robot Carnival.

No joke, this thing has been in the back of my mind for almost my whole life. It’s a weird feeling finally finding out what it was.
Robot Carnival, it brings people together!

Reactions: Jewelsmakerguy

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone know the term for when an episode ends on a single frame and its shading and coloring suddenly becomes a lot more detailed? Kinda like this:

Thank you for the replies in advance!

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: sasazuka

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone know the term for when an episode ends on a single frame and its shading and coloring suddenly becomes a lot more detailed? Kinda like this:
That's a really good question and I don't know the answer but I can tell you that Urusei Yatsura episodes often ended the exact same way and both that show and Yu Yu Hakusho are from Studio Pierrot so it could be their signature end frame flair.

vlcsnap-2019-05-15-22h20m17s164.png

vlcsnap-2019-05-15-22h21m05s134.png

vlcsnap-2019-05-15-22h15m37s812.png

It lingers on that orange-tinted shot of their hands entwined for a couple of seconds, though, technically, there's one more zoom-out shot in the same general heavily-shaded style.

vlcsnap-2019-05-15-22h16m44s514.png

The style could be emulating how the art gets a little more detailed when there's a full-colour splash page or two in the manga.

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
That's a really good question and I don't know the answer but I can tell you that Urusei Yatsura episodes often ended the exact same way and both that show and Yu Yu Hakusho are from Studio Pierrot so it could be their signature end frame flair.

View attachment 760577
View attachment 760580
View attachment 760583

It lingers on that orange-tinted shot of their hands entwined for a couple of seconds, though, technically, there's one more zoom-out shot in the same general heavily-shaded style.

View attachment 760605

The style could be emulating how the art gets a little more detailed when there's a full-colour splash page or two in the manga.
Yeah, stuff like this was especially popular with shows form the '80s and '90s, like Dragon Ball and Ginga Nagareboshi Gin.

It's a thing Osamu Dezaki created, I don't know if it has an official name per say, but TV Tropes calls it a "Pastel-Chalked Freeze Frame". More than a few anime do it, G Gundam for instance, does it at the end of every episode.
I often heard "Postcard Memories" as another term for this as well.
Thank you so much, both of you! It's always nice when you get to learn something new on the Farms!

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby and sasazuka

garlicfarmer

kiwifarms.net
AZ9pJenD5ZU:1159

Thank you for the replies in advance!
The use of this style in Kill la Kill is addressed in this documentary. They refer to it as "an old manga kind of feel" and "an old-fashioned, Shouwa Era anime style". You rarely see it nowadays, unfortunately.

Last edited:

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
The use of this style in Kill la Kill is addressed in this documentary. They refer to it as "an old manga kind of feel" and "an old-fashioned, Shouwa Era anime style". You rarely see it nowadays, unfortunately.

Thank you so much, for sharing your knowledge as well as that video, love learning new stuff here! And yeah, I'd also like to see this technique make a return. The most recent example I can think of is episode 126 of DBS, which is pretty fitting considering the retro\nostalgic vibe of the show:

garlicfarmer

kiwifarms.net
Thank you so much, for sharing your knowledge as well as that video, love learning new stuff here! And yeah, I'd also like to see this technique make a return. The most recent example I can think of is episode 126 of DBS, which is pretty fitting considering the retro\nostalgic vibe of the show:
Besides Kill la Kill, another more recent anime I can think of that used this technique a lot is Hunter x Hunter 2011, maybe as an homage to Yu Yu Hakusho. But even that finished airing in 2014 which was a while ago.

• Winner
Reactions: ShittyRecolor

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
Besides Kill la Kill, another more recent anime I can think of that used this technique a lot is Hunter x Hunter 2011, maybe as an homage to Yu Yu Hakusho. But even that finished airing in 2014 which was a while ago.

View attachment 762679
Oh yeah, both anime adaptations of Hunter X Hunter are incredible (well, beside the Greed Island OVAs). A tribute to Yu Yu Hakusho would make tons of sense, seeing as both YYH and HXH were created by Yoshihiro Togashi. I wonder if it's slowly time to start adapting the rest of the manga to animation, even though it's still far from being finished as far as I can remember.

garlicfarmer

kiwifarms.net
Oh yeah, both anime adaptations of Hunter X Hunter are incredible (well, beside the Greed Island OVAs). A tribute to Yu Yu Hakusho would make tons of sense, seeing as both YYH and HXH were created by Yoshihiro Togashi. I wonder if it's slowly time to start adapting the rest of the manga to animation, even though it's still far from being finished as far as I can remember.
It's hard to say if the HxH anime will ever come back. We're getting closer to the 10th year anniversary for the 2011 anime which is crazy. Togashi said in an interview that fans can consider the place where the 2011 anime finished to be the ending of the series, what he is doing in the manga right now is more of an epilogue of sorts I suppose where he can explore more crazy ideas. I think it's for the best if we assume it won't return. It will be great if it does, but right now there's not that much incentive considering whenever new manga volumes release, they fairly consistently sell 1 million copies, I don't think anything else besides new One Piece volumes manage to achieve that at the moment.

So, uh....that ending of the latest chapter of ChainsawMan....wow.
What the fuck.

Reactions: Akumaten

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Found out yesterday there was an OVA that came out in the early 90's all about a dog's love for the master's daughter that goes behind simple petting!

KennelTokorozawa.jpg

Would you believe it's on YouTube as we speak?

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Found out yesterday there was an OVA that came out in the early 90's all about a dog's love for the master's daughter that goes behind simple petting!

View attachment 762920

Would you believe it's on YouTube as we speak?
[/spoiler
Lmao I saw this three years ago, then I "recommended" it to someone, and it broke them. It's bit of an in-joke between us.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino