Anime/Manga -

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
I didn't even know you dabbled with anime @Null. Do you have a favorite?
I don't watch an anime unless I'm curious about it, same with movies or books. I do not seek it out.

I remember enjoying Higurashi the most and vividly remember a scene where a 6 year old girl hammers a kitchen knife into her brain because her friend is going to torture her and she doesn't want to endure it.

Marco Fucko

Freak a flow and flow fancy free.
kiwifarms.net
I don't watch an anime unless I'm curious about it, same with movies or books. I do not seek it out.

I remember enjoying Higurashi the most and vividly remember a scene where a 6 year old girl hammers a kitchen knife into her brain because her friend is going to torture her and she doesn't want to endure it.
You just redeemed your taste, dear leader.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net

Would you smash Takano?

I'd smash her face in with a baseball bat.

El Porko Fako

Lickin' it Old School
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This scene made me laugh my ass off for maybe a minute straight when I first watched Higurashi Kai. It was funny because Takano was such a mellow character up to that point in the show and it's even funnier in retrospect after you know what her motivations are.

Reactions: Kari Kamiya

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
HAUUUU OMOCHIKAERIIII

God, it's really sad how hard Geneon dropped the ball with the dub because they had a really good cast but shitty execution; such a fucking shame because what I'd give to hear Karen Strassman's performance in Kai, I thought she was a good voice for Takano. It needs a redub badly, and I'm pissed Sentai hasn't offered to do it yet.

Ali della Fenice

Cosa credi, che abbia perso la forza?
kiwifarms.net
I figure this might also be a good place to ask:
A friend of mine is subbing tigermask from 1969 and Im helping him a bit with the translation, the italian dubbed version.
If someone is interested and wants to watch the episodes that have been done, you can pm me and I'll send you the links.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So hey, if anyone’s a fan of Something Witty Entertainment(the ones that do SAO Abridged), they just premiered their next project.

Boku no Hero Acadamia Abridged.

• Informative
Reactions: Marco Fucko

Marco Fucko

Freak a flow and flow fancy free.
kiwifarms.net
So hey, if anyone’s a fan of Something Witty Entertainment(the ones that do SAO Abridged), they just premiered their next project.

Boku no Hero Acadamia Abridged.
I like these guys but adapting something more longform might be a mistake. Also I want more SAO abridged.

Reactions: Akumaten

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like these guys but adapting something more longform might be a mistake. Also I want more SAO abridged.
They’re still working on SAO Abridged as well. And they’re doing something unique with the BnHA storyline that makes me really interested to see where they go with it.

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Marco Fucko

Trilby

I got stupid cool hip-hop style!
kiwifarms.net
I noticed someone did this, over 4 hours worth of Cartoon Network's "Night of the Vampire Robots" marathon from 1995! It starts towards the end of Robot Carnival, moves through Vampire Hunter D and finishes up with Twilight of the Cockroaches, complete with original commercial breaks and all! Here's a chance to sample the glory days of this network!

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy shit!

So when I was like 3-5, I was at my friends place for New Years with my family, I kinda wander off by myself and saw this weird cartoon that was on one of the TVs. It was way different than other cartoons I’d seen, really dark and seemed a lot more serious. It actually kinda freaked me out, but it kept holding my attention despite only being able to watch parts of it(because I felt like I was gonna get in trouble for watching it, so I’d change the channel real fast when someone came to check on me). Once I was older, I realized it had been some kind of anime, but I never remembered the name, nor did I really remember enough of the plot to track it down.

But just now on YouTube I clicked an anime short film at random and recognized it as part of what I’d seen. Robot Carnival.

No joke, this thing has been in the back of my mind for almost my whole life. It’s a weird feeling finally finding out what it was.

Last edited:

Trilby

I got stupid cool hip-hop style!
kiwifarms.net
Holy shit!

So when I was like 3-5, I was at my friends place for New Years with my family, I kinda wander off by myself and saw this weird cartoon that was on one of the TVs. It was way different than other cartoons I’d seen, really dark and seemed a lot more serious. It actually kinda freaked me out, but it kept holding my attention despite only being able to watch parts of it(because I felt like I was gonna get in trouble for watching it, so I’d change the channel real fast when someone came to check on me). Once I was older, I realized it had been some kind of anime, but I never remembered the name, nor did I really remember enough of the plot to track it down.

But just now on YouTube I clicked an anime shirt film at random and recognized it as part of what I’d seen. Robot Carnival.

No joke, this thing has been in the back of my mind for almost my whole life. It’s a weird feeling finally finding out what it was.
Robot Carnival, it brings people together!

Reactions: Jewelsmakerguy

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone know the term for when an episode ends on a single frame and its shading and coloring suddenly becomes a lot more detailed? Kinda like this:

Thank you for the replies in advance!

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: sasazuka

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone know the term for when an episode ends on a single frame and its shading and coloring suddenly becomes a lot more detailed? Kinda like this:
That's a really good question and I don't know the answer but I can tell you that Urusei Yatsura episodes often ended the exact same way and both that show and Yu Yu Hakusho are from Studio Pierrot so it could be their signature end frame flair.

vlcsnap-2019-05-15-22h20m17s164.png

vlcsnap-2019-05-15-22h21m05s134.png

vlcsnap-2019-05-15-22h15m37s812.png

It lingers on that orange-tinted shot of their hands entwined for a couple of seconds, though, technically, there's one more zoom-out shot in the same general heavily-shaded style.

vlcsnap-2019-05-15-22h16m44s514.png

The style could be emulating how the art gets a little more detailed when there's a full-colour splash page or two in the manga.

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
That's a really good question and I don't know the answer but I can tell you that Urusei Yatsura episodes often ended the exact same way and both that show and Yu Yu Hakusho are from Studio Pierrot so it could be their signature end frame flair.

View attachment 760577
View attachment 760580
View attachment 760583

It lingers on that orange-tinted shot of their hands entwined for a couple of seconds, though, technically, there's one more zoom-out shot in the same general heavily-shaded style.

View attachment 760605

The style could be emulating how the art gets a little more detailed when there's a full-colour splash page or two in the manga.
Yeah, stuff like this was especially popular with shows form the '80s and '90s, like Dragon Ball and Ginga Nagareboshi Gin.

It's a thing Osamu Dezaki created, I don't know if it has an official name per say, but TV Tropes calls it a "Pastel-Chalked Freeze Frame". More than a few anime do it, G Gundam for instance, does it at the end of every episode.
I often heard "Postcard Memories" as another term for this as well.
Thank you so much, both of you! It's always nice when you get to learn something new on the Farms!

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby and sasazuka

garlicfarmer

kiwifarms.net
AZ9pJenD5ZU:1159

Thank you for the replies in advance!
The use of this style in Kill la Kill is addressed in this documentary. They refer to it as "an old manga kind of feel" and "an old-fashioned, Shouwa Era anime style". You rarely see it nowadays, unfortunately.

Last edited:

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
The use of this style in Kill la Kill is addressed in this documentary. They refer to it as "an old manga kind of feel" and "an old-fashioned, Shouwa Era anime style". You rarely see it nowadays, unfortunately.

Thank you so much, for sharing your knowledge as well as that video, love learning new stuff here! And yeah, I'd also like to see this technique make a return. The most recent example I can think of is episode 126 of DBS, which is pretty fitting considering the retro\nostalgic vibe of the show:

garlicfarmer

kiwifarms.net
Thank you so much, for sharing your knowledge as well as that video, love learning new stuff here! And yeah, I'd also like to see this technique make a return. The most recent example I can think of is episode 126 of DBS, which is pretty fitting considering the retro\nostalgic vibe of the show:
Besides Kill la Kill, another more recent anime I can think of that used this technique a lot is Hunter x Hunter 2011, maybe as an homage to Yu Yu Hakusho. But even that finished airing in 2014 which was a while ago.

• Winner
Reactions: ShittyRecolor

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino