Anime/Manga - Discuss Japanese cartoons and comics here

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Rio said:
Have you tried the sub? A lot of people seem to like it. Maybe it just doesn't translate well to English. I haven't seen it though.
The Hunter said:
4.) It makes me miss the manga. That might be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you choose to interpret it. It's much more bearable to read it than it is to hear those grating American voices. Again, I'd probably want a subbed version, but that doesn't change this next point.

5.) The "humor" really really really sucks. Typical "kawaii desu RANDUM ECKS DEE" perverted humor that's only found in, oh, I don't know, 85% of all anime/manga. It's one thing to be able to tolerate it, but it's prevalent throughout this entire episode so far. I can stand it for a lot of things (namely Disgaea, because so far, I'm noticing there's a fair amount of it in that game), but not this much. For the love of God, not this much.
Yeah, I don't think the subbed version will be any better aside from possibly having better voices, but I'll still try to read some of the manga.

UPDATE:

10sepmc.jpg

Yeah, looking back now, this is exactly the kind of thing I'd read when I was 14. Although I won't lie, the first few pages were somewhat enjoyable, even if it was just slicing someone in half like butter.

A few pages later, and I'm fully convinced the writer must have had a huge boner while he was writing this.

EDIT: First panty shot of the day.

5knccx.jpg

Yeah... fuck this. I'm done. If there's any chapter that I NEED to skip to, tell me now, otherwise, I'm losing all interest in this. I'm gonna go read something else.

c-no

I Love Me Some White Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Niachu said:
Recreating this thread mostly so I can share what I just came across.
I remember seeing how popular the Nostalgia Critic and the Angry Video Game Nerd were in Japan under the web original section of the Germans Love David Hasselhoff page on tvtropes. I can't believe they were cameoed in an anime. Thats rather nice.

Enig

Solid Style State Senzuri
kiwifarms.net
Can someone honestly tell me why autists love K-On so much? I mean, personally the art style makes me want to burn buildings, the voices double that, and the amount of autists flooding /v/ and /g/ makes me want to torch wherever the main server building of 4chan is along with the surrounding area. It's like episodic neural rape to me.

Niachu

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
To anyone who doesn't want to waste their time with moe pandering crap, go waste your time with the Baccano dub ASAP. I don't think I've rewatched an anime so many times. I think one reason why it DIDN'T do so well in Japan is that it doesn't waste time with moe pandering crap whatsoever. :/

And, if you get some sick enjoyment out of this scene you'll probably like Baccano:

Last edited by a moderator:

pickleniggo

pickle enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
captkrisma said:
How is it they haven't made a Sailor Moon DVD collection yet?

You mean the full, uncut original or the shitty picked-apart dub? I have all of the Cloverway S and SuperS on DVD. The first two series were released on DVD but were sold as sets and were ridiculously expensive and I was a poor, jobless teen when they came out. I heard there were problems with the dvd's anyway.

Yes, I'm in my 20's and I still have a soft-spot for Sailor Moon and am patiently awaiting the new series. JUDGE ME. :pickle:

The Hunter

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
tumblr_mja0e6TRNJ1r9zlw0o2_500.png

In other news, I'm going to miss this week's Jojo because I gotta go out of town today. As a matter of fact, I shouldn't even be on the computer right now, I'm supposed to be showering, packing, and picking up the rental truck.

DiscipleOfTheLie

Herb. Syrup. Pills
kiwifarms.net
kVGhnLJ.jpg

Late to the party, as I usually am with anime. Just picked this up on a recommendation from a friend of mine. What am I getting myself into?

Caddchef

Grade - F Destruction
kiwifarms.net
Aiko Heiwa said:
Has anyone else here seen Metropolis?
Metropolis is one of my favourite animes, as soon as i can get a bluray copy i'll add it to my collection... god damn though, the ending is a real downer.

DiscipleOfTheLie said:
kVGhnLJ.jpg

Late to the party, as I usually am with anime. Just picked this up on a recommendation from a friend of mine. What am I getting myself into?
Ergo Proxy again is a great series that hit before the current wave of moe, it's violent in places, occasionally oddball and has some pacing problems towards the end (my opinion of course) but over all i'd say you've done well, i'd also recommend Last Exile if you enjoy it or are as big a fan of steampunk and victoriarna as i am.

I'd also recommend anything by Satoshi Kon (who died recently), Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika and Paranoia Agent in particular.

DiscipleOfTheLie

Herb. Syrup. Pills
kiwifarms.net
Caddchef said:
Ergo Proxy again is a great series that hit before the current wave of moe, it's violent in places, occasionally oddball and has some pacing problems towards the end (my opinion of course) but over all i'd say you've done well, i'd also recommend Last Exile if you enjoy it or are as big a fan of steampunk and victoriarna as i am.

I'd also recommend anything by Satoshi Kon (who died recently), Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika and Paranoia Agent in particular.

I've watched Black Butler, Black Lagoon, Deadman Wonderland, DBZ, Eden of the East (sans the two movies), Fullmetal Alchemist, Outlaw Star, Persona 4: The Animation, RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

I'm really looking to get into steins;gate and Psycho-Pass, but I'm waiting for a US DVD release for Psycho-Pass.

Caddchef

Grade - F Destruction
kiwifarms.net
DiscipleOfTheLie said:
Caddchef said:

I've watched Black Butler, Black Lagoon, Deadman Wonderland, DBZ, Eden of the East (sans the two movies), Fullmetal Alchemist, Outlaw Star, Persona 4: The Animation, RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

I'm really looking to get into steins;gate and Psycho-Pass, but I'm waiting for a US DVD release for Psycho-Pass.
Oh man, RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne is totally and utterly hilariously insane all the way through, my girlfriend and i still joke about being incapacitated by hornyness to this day.

You seem to have had a decent grounding, I could recommend you some more of my favourite series but then i'd really be showing my age lol.

Niachu

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Caddchef said:

All good choices, but not in a marathon. :? One's brain can only handle so much at once.

As for recommendations, here is mine:

WATCH THE BACCANO DUB

If you're in the mood for a lot of crazy violence and some over the top characters, it's perfect. Brains Base did the animation and there's no speedlining crap--it's all top notch. And the dub is masterful (Funimation) and better fits the spirit of the series, since it takes place in 1930's America. The attention they paid to the small details of the prohibition era is wonderful. No annoying moe stereotypes, no random bouts of chibiness, just stylish fun.

As such, it didn't do well in Japan, but fared a lot better in America. But it seriously needs a bigger audience. It's easily one of the best anime I've ever seen. If you're willing to fare out the Pulp Fiction-esque style of story telling to the end, you won't be disappointed. It's only 13 episodes (plus the three episode OVAs) so you don't need to dedicate a ton of time to getting through it. I will post more clips of the dub if anyone needs more persuasion. Dead serious. This series needs as much love as possible. :biggrin:

Oh, and for anyone who's seen Durarara, it takes place in the same universe.

Rio

Smug Elliot Page
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
DiscipleOfTheLie said:
Caddchef said:

I'm not sure how the English cast will be on Psycho-Pass. Is it out already? The Japanese cast is definitely very capable, so the sub is definitely worth the effort.

The Steins;Gate dub I know is fairly lackluster in places, so you're probably better off with the sub there as well if you ask me.

That having been said, both are very good shows. I think you'll enjoy them.

DiscipleOfTheLie

Herb. Syrup. Pills
kiwifarms.net
Rio said:
I'm not sure how the English cast will be on Psycho-Pass. Is it out already? The Japanese cast is definitely very capable, so the sub is definitely worth the effort.

The Steins;Gate dub I know is fairly lackluster in places, so you're probably better off with the sub there as well if you ask me.

That having been said, both are very good shows. I think you'll enjoy them.

I generally watch dubs if it's a series. If it's a feature-length, stand-alone movie I have no problem watching it with subs. With a series, however, I think reading the subtitles takes away from everything else going on in the series. From my experience, when I watch anything subbed I tend to miss a few things.

The Hunter

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Currently laughing my ass off at how it's possible to make an anime about something as mundane as Beyblade. Either that, or it's because I'm listening to Motley Crue while watching a bunch of little anime boys freaking out over a bunch of spinning tops hitting each other with the TV on mute.

Trombonista

You, me, together with the lights down
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Hunter said:
Currently laughing my ass off at how it's possible to make an anime about something as mundane as Beyblade. Either that, or it's because I'm listening to Motley Crue while watching a bunch of little anime boys freaking out over a bunch of spinning tops hitting each other with the TV on mute.

Oh my gosh, you watch that out of masochism too? :biggrin:

I don't understand how those spinning tops can even do those "special moves". Physics? What's that?