Anime/Manga -

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
It's a very clean show in terms of animation, but this is kinda sloppy put together at the same time. This is like the fourth or fifth time in seven episodes I've noticed the cels have been poorly placed in frame.
View attachment 1185510

I haven't seen an animation cel so sloppily done since Souryo to Majiwaru Shikiyoku no Yoru ni... :/
Is this a modern episode produced for high definition television? If it's an older episode produced for standard definition NTSC televisions (Japan used NTSC just like North America did), that gap would probably have been in the "overscan" area which wouldn't have been visible on most televisions.

Friendly_AI

kiwifarms.net
Time for weird shit.

The cover for Looking Up to Magical Girls is a lie; the MC is forcibly enlisted as a magical girl villain, her breasts are covered in pasties, and her speciality is BDSM magic because she is a closet sadist. Even so, she still wishes to engage with the magical girls she idolizes so very deeply, believing her role as a powerful villain will make their feats and struggles shine all the brighter.
Lol, it mentions Kiwi-chan!
View attachment 1183243

Dude who did the art is actually a russian expy, Ilya Kuvshinov. Known for generic anime girl portraits, if you've seen a pfp of this sort of girl chances are it was drawn by him.
Not only /ic/ has a hate-boner for him, he is nicknamed Кувшин (Kuvshin) for short, meaning "jug" in Russian, and generally looked down upon in Russian art community. There was a huge drama a while ago when someone accused Kuvshinov in tracing images, and I'm not entirely sure the accusations were disproved.

Edit: added a second quote to avoid doublepost

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is this a modern episode produced for high definition television? If it's an older episode produced for standard definition NTSC televisions (Japan used NTSC just like North America did), that gap would probably have been in the "overscan" area which wouldn't have been visible on most televisions.
1999. So how common is this in older shows, then? I honestly haven't seen it happen in an older show like this before.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
1999. So how common is this in older shows, then? I honestly haven't seen it happen in an older show like this before.
Is it a single frame or is it onscreen for a couple of seconds? Cels of characters not fully in frame usually went all of the way to the edge of the overscan area but I can imagine that repositioning cels to be a little higher than intended when photographing them must have been something that happened occasionally though I can't think of any examples off-hand.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is it a single frame or is it onscreen for a couple of seconds? Cels of characters not fully in frame usually went all of the way to the edge of the overscan area but I can imagine that repositioning cels to be a little higher than intended when photographing them must have been something that happened occasionally though I can't think of any examples off-hand.
It was during that entire sequence before the next camera shot. I'm thinking Toei looped it and didn't notice/care that the cel's edge was showing when they scanned it. Which is weird because it looks like Ojamajo Doremi was digitally colored. It came out a month before Digimon aired, but they worked on the shows at the same time, and in 1999, they were mostly using computers for coloring until 2001 when they went fully digital.

Really wouldn't surprise me if Toei was just being super lazy with this show. They might've not expected it to kick off as well as it did, so I guess a lesser team was working on it.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
For those interested in sperging about it, I made a thread on Black Lagoon.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Kyokou Suiri is pretty interesting in the context of Kiwi Farms. The main crux of the main arc is based around online interaction. Primarily, it being a clusterfuck consisting of armchair theorizing about recent topics without real consideration into reality. The main characters try to disprove a real happening with multiple fake interpretations for other people to grasp into, relying on contrarians going against the popular idea. It's a neat twist on the mystery genre that relies on a single deductable truth - Reality isn't always so clear and dry, with multiple small events that doesn't align well with the truth.

• Feels
Reactions: Pinot Pierrot

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Somehow, I never knew how absolutely batshit insane Yu Gi Oh got after the original series up until now.
I seriously can't believe I've been putting of this dub for so long.

Kyokou Suiri is pretty interesting in the context of Kiwi Farms. The main crux of the main arc is based around online interaction. Primarily, it being a clusterfuck consisting of armchair theorizing about recent topics without real consideration into reality. The main characters try to disprove a real happening with multiple fake interpretations for other people to grasp into, relying on contrarians going against the popular idea. It's a neat twist on the mystery genre that relies on a single deductable truth - Reality isn't always so clear and dry, with multiple small events that doesn't align well with the truth.
I thought Serial Experiments Lain already did this?

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
The best part of perfect hair forever was the flying hotdog that said Lalalala!
No, the true best part of PHF was the fact that they ended it abruptly with no conclusion, aired another semi-conclusive episode at random a couple years later, then aired the "actual" finale eight years later for April Fool's. One year's April Fool's gag was the entire series in reverse, made to look like an awful Chinese bootleg VHS. Say what you will about their overall track record with anime, but Adult Swim sure can be dedicated to their shitposts.
I thought Serial Experiments Lain already did this?
Lain is way more philosophical and a hell of a lot deeper in that regard. Kyokou Suiri just uses that concept as part of the story. Some plot spoilers below.
The plot of the show involves a "ghost" that was brought to life through mass belief, rumors being spread online that hooked a bunch of people into believing it existed, which then caused it to exist (there were also some yokai powers at play to speed things up). The antagonist uses the real occurrence of a small-time idol who died a mysterious and tragic death as the catalyst for a story about a vengeful ghost.

The problem is that the ghost itself becomes increasingly violent because that's what the rumors say it is, eventually leading to it becoming murderous. Since its power comes from the amount of belief people have in it, the idea to defeat it is to provide multiple plausible explanations for the occurrences surrounding the ghost, casting enough doubt in the public's minds to weaken it enough to destroy it. In reality, no such ghost should actually exist because the idol's spirit didn't linger after her death (they confirm this with a ghost who saw her death), so the lies about the ghost's current existence are meant to bring things back to normal, if that makes sense.
I do love the running gag of how everyone keeps bringing up the ghost's big tits. Like they can't mention her without being like "damn but her tits though" at least once.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Lain is way more philosophical and a hell of a lot deeper in that regard. Kyokou Suiri just uses that concept as part of the story. Some plot spoilers below.
The plot of the show involves a "ghost" that was brought to life through mass belief, rumors being spread online that hooked a bunch of people into believing it existed, which then caused it to exist (there were also some yokai powers at play to speed things up). The antagonist uses the real occurrence of a small-time idol who died a mysterious and tragic death as the catalyst for a story about a vengeful ghost.

The problem is that the ghost itself becomes increasingly violent because that's what the rumors say it is, eventually leading to it becoming murderous. Since its power comes from the amount of belief people have in it, the idea to defeat it is to provide multiple plausible explanations for the occurrences surrounding the ghost, casting enough doubt in the public's minds to weaken it enough to destroy it. In reality, no such ghost should actually exist because the idol's spirit didn't linger after her death (they confirm this with a ghost who saw her death), so the lies about the ghost's current existence are meant to bring things back to normal, if that makes sense.
I do love the running gag of how everyone keeps bringing up the ghost's big tits. Like they can't mention her without being like "damn but her tits though" at least once.
Those tits kinda make a big plot hole regarding the switcharoo theory, those kind of tits are as unique as feature as you are going to get in an unidentified corpse (not to mention there are probably other skin marking that the sister can identify: moles, scars, etc.). At least the theory was debunked anyways.

Pinot Pierrot

The naive one, forever waiting.
kiwifarms.net
Welcome back to the Manchildren's Corner. In today's chapter, Undead Unluck continues its momentum by giving a lot of worldbuilding to unpack.
1584289456860.png1584289471681.png1584289504658.png1584289537604.png1584289570612.png1584289603501.png1584289636701.png1584289669554.png1584289702725.png1584289735834.png1584289768809.png1584289801693.png1584289834890.png1584289867338.png1584289933965.png1584289966650.png1584289999686.png1584290032841.png

• UMAs are cryptids that are also based on phrases.
  • Negators and UMAs are therefore opposites, if "Burn" and "Unburn" is of any indication
  • There is a creator regularly adding rules to the world that change the very fabric of reality.
  • Funnily enough, such rules include the concepts of disease, gender and race. Like a slow trickle of Pandora's Box.
  • Everything is done through a book that gives out quests
  • Each quest comes with a specific party count (so teamup potentials).
  • Completion of one quest grants a reward, mostly intel on UMAs or other Negators.
  • There are other items like the book known as artifacts. The book can give out locations of said artifacts as rewards.
  • Failure to complete all within the given time period this time introduces a new UMA, but new world-changing rules are on the list too.
  • UMAs could be related to such rules, as the reward for defeating "Language" is reunifying the world's languages back into one (reverse Tower of Babel).
  • Union performs risk assessment when it comes to failing or succeeding to complete all the quests within the time period.
  • Union is playing nice, but intends to use the rewards to gather enough strength to stop the creator's antics.

A surprisingly confident pace coming from a completely unknown author. I'm liking its chances of surviving the axe more and more. The level of speculation going on in /a/ has honestly been more fun to read than any other thread lately.

Last edited:

TrippinKahlua

From RC Enthusiast to T-Shirt Brand.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna he honest about the other Mangas and Animes.

Everyone knows I sperg around on the One Piece thread, but I dont seem to know much else. It's not that I wouldn't enjoy them. I'm just kind of selective over how certain ones catch on.

Dragonball Z, to be blunt, rubbed me the wrong way when it came out in 1995. I was enjoying bits of Toonami and Dragonball Z was given the honor of replacing what was on my favorite show. Voltron.

I LOVE THE FUCK out of Voltron. I maybe cannot say if I have seen all the episodes, but I have lots of treasured childhood memories watching it when Toonami picked it up. It was the cartoon version of my all time favorite show, Power Rangers.

But Dragonball Z showed up one day when I was tuning in to the days rerun, and the extreme shift of everyones eyes and emotions were too much. I got nothing more to say but I gave it no chance and didn't bother learning all the lore in the 90s and 00s. I mean, eventually I learned of the memes like Over 9000, but I really couldn't distinguish any characters besides Goku, Picollo, Krillin, Frieza or Mr. Popo.

I was turning 10 anyway and was not that interested in new cartoons and I was trying to watch things like the Simpsons.

Why did I cling onto One Piece then? The infamous 4Kids dub drawed me in. I was still addicted to the Pokemon anime (which is a story for a different post) and I was hearing how horrible the same company was to it. The high profile members of Serebii forum's drew me in with their rants. Then I got to the Japanese clips, and the difference broke me to tears. 4kids ruined The Arlong Park episodes, and the Japanese did it so much better. I loved the long moment after Nami tells Luffy "Thank you." I got hooked like it was heroin.

The others like Bleach, Death Note and Naruto never interested me. I was already 17 when One Piece amped up. I wasn't getting into that many New Cartoons.

So whatever. TLDR, I can watch anime and follow, but cant comit to all these big lores.

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
Kill la Kill started out as the dumbest shit ever I just about dropped at episode 1.

Cut to 2 more episodes later, I'm loving it; don't even hate episode 1. Cut to 25 episodes later and it's a top 5.

Just goes to show you, first impressions aren't always accurate. My mixture of serious, detailed writing mixed with the comedicly absurd.

It was so refreshing to see something with female protagonists that didn't need to bring down male characters just to make them look good too. They were good on their own. Ryuko is probably my second favorite anime character, apart from Guts.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kill la Kill started out as the dumbest shit ever I just about dropped at episode 1.
I was hooked from the start, but then again, I was on the hypetrain when it was first announced since it was a new studio's first TV series, and it looked a lot of fun. Had no regrets, easily in my top ten.

Mako is super precious. We don't deserve her, but she blessed us with her grace regardless.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
Those tits kinda make a big plot hole regarding the switcharoo theory, those kind of tits are as unique as feature as you are going to get in an unidentified corpse (not to mention there are probably other skin marking that the sister can identify: moles, scars, etc.). At least the theory was debunked anyways.
Of course, but the whole point of the plan is that they don't have to explain everything perfectly. All they need to do is get enough doubt out there to swing majority opinion away from "Steel Lady Nanase is a real murderous ghost," and they can weaken her enough to destroy her. It's been pretty fun to watch.

• Agree

Atatata

Wow! So cool!
kiwifarms.net
Anyone read the latest chapter of Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon? It was pretty great, and the art is fantastic. honestly I'd recommend it to anyone. I've seen people pass it because it's about cooking, but don't let that desuade you, its really good.

This has got to be one if my favorite pages ngl
r22.png

Something I also like about the author is how she tries to get every character a distinct design, lots of manga artists have problems when it comes to same faces.
DH_7eufXoAAXoOB.jpg

Last edited:

Cubanodun

Art Deco Cynical
kiwifarms.net
Sunrise making fanfiction legal now apparently in DD

For context in the SRT fandom Code geass is almost at the same tier as Eureka 7, their mechs are absolute trash in gameplay except the Lancelot and the Guren, you only mained Code Geass because Lelouch is one of the best buffers in game and Suzaku and Karen were almost as good as a newtype (in some games Suzaku can use his geassed status to achieve almost SEED level of wrecking) but the rest are bad and the Shinkiro (Lelouch second mech) is a one trick pony that doesn't do much, Sunrise apparently heard the bitching and decide to give him a custom Wing Zero to him, now Lelouch is as good as Heero yui, the only thing that this unit lack is beam sabers

The Netflix movie looks like pure unadulterated trash and Netflix constantly ruins anime with its shitty 3D styles. I tried to watch Gangster in an Insect Cage or some shit and it was unwatchable due to stiff, bad CGI.
I look it at the brighter side, at least is not Saint Seiya, people keep asking why in 3D and almost all the time is that they are going to go to the SAC route where the 3D model of the mayor from the PS2 game was repurposed for the VR experience (you can see it on youtube) and the MMOFPS game that was closed, i will remain optimistic and watch it anyway, i need more cyberpunk after watching Altered Carbon S02

Reactions: Akumaten
Tags
None