Anime/Manga -

Cubanodun

Metal Synthpop Hero
kiwifarms.net
Wait, 16 is underage for the Japanese? You sure about that?
Not entirely sure, but they hardcode things in anime like not letting them drink alcohol because laws and stuff, i dont remember clearly but i think i saw on a thread here that the age of consent was painfully low on Japan so spergs use it to justify being MAPs

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
I'm giving up on Darling in the Franxx, I was enjoying it at first but I got to the wedding and realized I was just forcing myself to get through it because I had already invested so much time into it.

Starting Id:invaded, first episode was pretty good hopefully it doesn't go to shit also.
ID:Invaded is a treat, one of my favorites from last season. It's a nice self-contained mystery story with a lot of layers to it, and it stays consistently strong throughout. If you like a good whodunnit you should enjoy it.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really like One Punch Man, but it can get a bit confusing when chapters get revised versions. Not that I don’t like the new version, it just gets tricky keeping plot points straight(just saw the revised 103 chapter with Sweet Mask).

Reactions: Pinot Pierrot

A Random

All aboard the Loco Express!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really like One Punch Man, but it can get a bit confusing when chapters get revised versions. Not that I don’t like the new version, it just gets tricky keeping plot points straight(just saw the revised 103 chapter with Sweet Mask).
Apparently it's due to events from the ONE version that both require him not to kill those humans and to defeat the monster the way he did, likely related to his internal monologue.

Overcast

Dat Booty Tho
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finished Quintessential Quintuplets.

For the first half or so I was pretty hooked by this story.

Sadly during the second half, things just sort of fell apart. The last several chapters felt rather undercooked and artificial by nature. Each and every girl had two chapters to deal with some sort of issue and kissing the MC. With the exception of Itsuki who had three chapters regarding the whole biological dad thing that was over and done with in barely two as a half chapters and never mentioned again.You would think something like that would have a much larger impact on the story, but nope.

Will say though, had a huge grin on my face when Yotsuba got chosen. I initially wanted Miku to win, but deep down, I felt Yotsuba was the most interesting and nuanced character out of all the quints. Everyone else felt cookie cutter and unlikable to a degree. (I will give props to Nino for being the most active and upfront of the five and at least she didn’t try to backstab Miku like Ichica did).

Yotsuba however went out of her way to put everyone else’s happiness above her own due to the guilt she felt over them following her after getting expelled. And she did kick off the whole thing with Futarou and his studying.

Shame that there weren’t enough scenes between the two to really make it fully believable. Had the series got some more ironing out and time to develop the two’s relationship before and after the fact, I’d really like it.

Plus it doesn’t make too much sense for her to be the one who kissed him at the bell.

It was also kinda weird to have them do the Quintuplet game AFTER the wedding and for the sisters to join Futauro and Yotsuba’s HONEYMOON.

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
Huh, that's an interesting coincidence. I vaguely remember a conversation on another website a long time ago that was about older anime that subvert certain genres by making it dark, like Bokurano for mech anime and Narutaru for pet monster anime, but I recall there was also one for isekai that I forgot the name of. But now cause of a youtube comment I was directed to something that was probably it. It's funny how that can happen.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Huh, that's an interesting coincidence. I vaguely remember a conversation on another website a long time ago that was about older anime that subvert certain genres by making it dark, like Bokurano for mech anime and Narutaru for pet monster anime, but I recall there was also one for isekai that I forgot the name of. But now cause of a youtube comment I was directed to something that was probably it. It's funny how that can happen.
Yeah, I think Now and Then, Here and There was the deconstruction for isekai, but it had a purpose than just for the sake of making bank on a trend. Kinda had to be for being based off the Rwanda genocide.

• Informative
Reactions: Monster

Cubanodun

Metal Synthpop Hero
kiwifarms.net
I think one of the first deconstruction of Isekai i read was Watashi no Messiah-sama from the guy that did Sora no otoshimono, only reading the first couple of chapters tell you that this is not a walk in the park, this is grimdark WH40K

Reactions: Monster

More AWS-8Q Than You

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I think Now and Then, Here and There was the deconstruction for isekai, but it had a purpose than just for the sake of making bank on a trend. Kinda had to be for being based off the Rwanda genocide.
It predates the modern conception of isekai, though. I wasn't really into anime in general until the early aughts, was there a lot of isekai style anime at the time? There was Escaflowne, but I don't really think of that as isekai.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It predates the modern conception of isekai, though. I wasn't really into anime in general until the early aughts, was there a lot of isekai style anime at the time? There was Escaflowne, but I don't really think of that as isekai.
It's an old form of story-telling, but it picked up in anime in the '90s, and the early-2000s was a boon for isekai especially when it came to cyber technology. It was always more in tune with the historical/fantasy elements you'd see in JRPGs at the time, though, but El Hazard and Fushigi Yuugi are believed to have helped codify it especially in terms of bringing in harem elements.

Pinot Pierrot

The naive one, forever waiting.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For those interested in a Scrubs/House M.D. style manga...
Radiation House - c001 (v01) - p004-005 [dig] [FAScans].png

Radiation House - Those with an inkling on Japan's medical scene might realize something is amiss whenever discussions about it are brought up. According to this manga, one such discrepancy is that any medical profession that isn't a general practitioner or a surgeon might as well be nonexistent to the general public, so most don't even realize how important radiologists are to the field of medicine. No prestige in it, so why bother?

Our hero isn't interested in changing any of that (he's just a goofy autist chasing after a childhood friend), but thanks to his talents and encyclopedic knowledge, he may be the best hire any hospital could have hoped for.
Radiation House - c001 (v01) - p000 [Cover] [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p003 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p004-005 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p006 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p007 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p008 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p009 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p010 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p011 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p012 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p013 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p014 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p015 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p016 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p017 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p018 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p019 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p020 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p021 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p022 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p023 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p024 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p025 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p026 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p027 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p028 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p029 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p030 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p031 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p032 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p033 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p034 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p035 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p036 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p037 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p038 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p039 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p040 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p041 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p042 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p043 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p044 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p045 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p046 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p047 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p048 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p049 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p050 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p051 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p052 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p053 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p054 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p055 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p056 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p057 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p058 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p059 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c001 (v01) - p060 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p061 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p062 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p063 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p064 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p065 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p066 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p067 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p068 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p069 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p070 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p071 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p072 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p073 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p074 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p075 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p076 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p077 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p078 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p079 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p080 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p081 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p082 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p083 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p084 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p085 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p086 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p087 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p088 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p089 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p090 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p091 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p092 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p093 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p094 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p095 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p096 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p097 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p098 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p099 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p100 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p101 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p102 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p103 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p104 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p105 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p106 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p107 [dig] [FAScans].pngRadiation House - c002 (v01) - p108 [dig] [FAScans].png

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What in the world happened to AMV Hell? https://www.youtube.com/user/amvhell/videos

The project just sorta stopped, and for that matter with all the shitty jojo memes and cursed anime edits nowadays THESE edits would be wayyy more viral but somehow arn't.

Seemed popular back when I torrented the originals back when they were coming out
Copyright flagging bullshit is my guess. I thought the project died sometimes after 2010, though, but guess it held on a bit longer.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I am 100% confident harem leads in anime get the least action of any men in all of anime. Its a trick. I've watched different harem anime for comedy purposes. High School DxD, everyone wants to fuck, willing to share fucking duties, protag never fucks a single time. To Luv Ru, surrounded by hot women who want to fuck, never fucks ever. I just CANNOT watch Harem anime anymore. If you've got a harem by episode 6 and you aren't getting laid by episode 7, you have something wrong with you. I'm done with tired, sex-less waifu wars and shit that just show pointless anime tiddy. Movies and shows have done fade to black since 1965 you don't need to be explicit. Just show a physical relationship. They can show people getting chopped in half, mutated, brutally murdered, dissolved into pieces, but you can't show kissing and fade to black in bed. Or basically just constantly unrealistically cock block them so it never ever happens. Like I said, the exceptions to this are 'Love is War' which is basically holding out as long as possible as to admit they actually love each other, which is kind of funny.

That's why I like In/Spectre with an actual defloration joke instead of everyone being perma virgins, Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest who basically outright states 'she's my lover, fuck all the rest of you. You can try, but nope.' There's a couple of others, like Chivalry of a Failed Knight where they get it on in like the second to last episode and shit. Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon (which I fucking love, highly underrated anime).

But I've RARELY seen harem protagonists do anything and they really don't behave like men. Even if all the women go, "Ok, you can love all of us, just give us equal attention." NOPE the men act like they're five years old. Naked girl wants to get into a bath with him? "WHATS WRONG PUT SOME CLOTHES ON PLEASE OMG". The only exception is really Val x Date where the protagonist has a serious phobia about human contact and doesn't want anything to do with it.

Macross is more emotional for it because the leads have sex, because they have this physical connection. I've also noticed, the older the anime, the less of a problem this turns out to be.

But its really the biggest anime trope that gets on my fucking nerves. So if you want any sort of physical contact that means something, you generally, ironically, have to avoid harem anime because they stretch that shit out forever with no payoff because the audience is too busy deciding 'best girl'. Another cliche that bugs me is you have these super confident, observant heroes but they can't seem to take the most obvious hints when a girl wants them, to the level that even people on the autism spectrum can tell. The exception really is 'Black Clover' where I think Asta is legitimately autistic and can't tell and just wants a nun who literally cannot be in a relationship and has been telling him no for a decade. I mean the dude wants to be Wizard King and he can't use magic, so he's kinda not all there to begin with.

Or another thing is that the anime waits until the very last POSSIBLE second for characters to form relationships so there's no possible development or drama with them. Half the fun of having characters be in relationships is to see how much you can fuck with them with it. So sexless, loveless anime just kills the genre for me. Like come on Japan, people fuck. This is why you have a low birth rate.
I'm of the mind that these days if you're an anime fan in the US piracy is your best bet both quality wise and to keep SJWs from gaining too much of a foothold.

The old days of ADV, Geneon, pre-woke Funimation, Bandai USA etc were worth supporting, but those days are gone.

I understand it can be inconvenient having anime always tied to a computer, but it's worth dealing with if you ask me.

Safir

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm of the mind that these days if you're an anime fan in the US piracy is your best bet both quality wise and to keep SJWs from gaining too much of a foothold.
Discotek is good. They work really hard at restoring content, to the point that their releases are better than Japanese releases, and their selection of titles is classy. Unfortunately they do employ at least one troon.

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
I'm giving up on Darling in the Franxx, I was enjoying it at first but I got to the wedding and realized I was just forcing myself to get through it because I had already invested so much time into it.
Honestly, in regards to that show, I've never felt more conflicted over an anime than I have it.

On the one hand, I have a lot of complaints about it, especially regarding its story post episode 15. It is unbelievably messy from that point on, coupled with an ending that wasn't hinted at enough and generally throws things in simply to give nods at previous works by the creators rather than them making sense. Heck, the writers admitted that they didn't have a plan for the story post episode 15, as they felt that the story would develop "naturally" from then on. Basically, they were writing by the seat of their pants from that point onward, and it shows.

And yet despite all of its problems, I still can't bring myself to hate the show. For all the faults, some of my favorite moments in all of anime are from this very series. Episodes 13 and 15 are some of my favorites in any show period, and the relationship between Hiro and Zero Two is also one that I found myself emotionally invested in. Heck, whenever it focused on those two is when the show I felt was at its strongest. For that matter, the first 15 episodes are actually very tightly written, as they actually had a plan for them. But even during the sloppy second half of the series, there were still moments here and there that I enjoyed, which again, all centered around Hiro and Zero Two. So while the overall show is a bit too heavily flawed, I'm really glad I saw it.

So yeah, I'm really torn on this one. In a similar vein to how Roger Ebert reviewed Naked Lunch, I guess I can't really recommend it, and that I'd give it an overall critical review, but with a footnote that I admire and adore all the stuff that really worked for me.

Trombonista

Uh-oh. Buckle up, bitch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Discotek is good. They work really hard at restoring content, to the point that their releases are better than Japanese releases, and their selection of titles is classy. Unfortunately they do employ at least one troon.
Discotek brought Chargeman Ken, Miss Machiko, and Osomatsu-kun to Crunchyroll, and for that I am forever grateful.

• Feels
Reactions: Dorami
Tags
None