Anime/Manga -

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
Back when it still aired I thought Darling in the franxx was going to be a goofy over the top mech show but I started giving up on it when they ramped up the teenage relationship melodrama. Felt like I was watching Kiznaiver again.

Moguro Fukuzou

Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed
kiwifarms.net
If anyone is looking for a longer fantasy anime that nicely blends together tragedy and comfy SoL in a similar vein to old World Masterpiece Theater shows I'd recommend Kemono no Souja Erin. The story follows Erin from early childhood as she grows into an adult, facing similar ups and downs to those in WMT shows but with a splash of fantastical beasts and civil war brewing.

Just like WMT shows, Erin also features a super upbeat ending to listen to after a terribly depressing episode for Erin,exploring all the pains that come with it while her country tumbles towards civil war.

It's an old form of story-telling, but it picked up in anime in the '90s, and the early-2000s was a boon for isekai especially when it came to cyber technology. It was always more in tune with the historical/fantasy elements you'd see in JRPGs at the time, though, but El Hazard and Fushigi Yuugi are believed to have helped codify it especially in terms of bringing in harem elements.
God, I wish modern isekai was more along the lines of what we got during then where there was a bunch of focus on actually developing the fantasy world and characters. It's interesting how many of those early shows featured female protagonists, there's a bit of a return with otome isekai starting to get anime adaptions but they're missing that focus on exploring a strange world.

I'll take this opportunity to recommend Twelve Kingdoms for anyone looking for a good early isekai series, fair warning that it does suffer from being an adaption of an on-going LN. I really enjoyed the effort put in by the other to flesh out the fantasy world to make it stand out, starting with its opening rich in world lore. It would really benefit from getting a continuation or at least a remake, early 2000s were not kind to anime.
Discotek brought Chargeman Ken, Miss Machiko, and Osomatsu-kun to Crunchyroll, and for that I am forever grateful.
They also added kimagure orange road which I've been enjoying a lot more than I thought I would.
Back when it still aired I thought Darling in the franxx was going to be a goofy over the top mech show but I started giving up on it when they ramped up the teenage relationship melodrama. Felt like I was watching Kiznaiver again.
I didn't mind Kiznaiver, but I only really enjoyed some of the episodes closer to the end and couldn't stand most of the cast for a good part of it. By the end, I only really liked Katsuhira, Nico, and Yoshiharu of the main cast since I found their interactions actually enjoyable to watch. Rest of the cast was just to caught up in their own crap and were overall annoying whenever they took up screen time with all the drama. I have no shame in saying that episode 10 ending with Katsuhira's attempt at crying after learning what had happened to his old friends was probably the most emotional part of the show for me, hit me right in the gut him trying to express his sadness.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Preview of the new Tenchi Muyo OVA:

It premieres next week. From the looks of things it might connect to Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure. Think of that show as a harem romcom parody of Evangelion.

Holy shit, they're gonna actually try to connect that to the Tenchi univese for realsies this time? Man, that show had an interesting premise but it never followed through with it imo. It was cramming in a second season's worth of plot into the last six episodes.

God, I wish modern isekai was more along the lines of what we got during then where there was a bunch of focus on actually developing the fantasy world and characters. It's interesting how many of those early shows featured female protagonists, there's a bit of a return with otome isekai starting to get anime adaptions but they're missing that focus on exploring a strange world.
I have no idea what caused creators to drop the heart of isekai because the self-insert power fantasy never felt out of place in series that attempted world-building. But I do honestly feel like the harem genre had something to do with it because it's since become a staple of laziness when you could just rely on the archetypes and not bother to explore the customs to make those archetypes unique to that world. Even when it's just a reverse harem they still fall into that trap because I guess no one can have layers to their personalities and have lives outside of the harem. :/

I didn't mind Kiznaiver, but I only really enjoyed some of the episodes closer to the end and couldn't stand most of the cast for a good part of it.
I enjoyed watching it weekly, but some characters felt contrived or didn't have enough time to be fleshed out better. Nico was the best character tbh even though she was more of a Mako Mankanshouku clone, but she had the cutest design. In hindsight, I think the only reason people stuck around to watch it wasn't just because it was Trigger but because "Lay Your Hands On Me" was god-tier and was Boom Boom Satellites' swan song.

Sorry for double-posting but holy shit, when did Mononoke get licensed and released out here? I went to Wal-Mart to get something but then dicked around in the media section for a bit and saw it was on the shelves.
mononoke.jpg

Been wanting to rewatch it for a long time. God, it was so good, I wanna see how it held up since I last watched it.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Christ, I forgot just how hard it is to find certain anime on physical media. GIMMIE THE GURREN LAGGEN MOVIES ON BLU-RAY, FUCK.

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
I never bothered with kiznaiver or franxx but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed luluco and gridman. luluco is the best thing imaishi has done since gurren lagann and gridman is giant robot comfort food. it's a mashed potatoes sort of anime. fresh spuds, lots of butter, just the right amount of salt. it's nothing more than that but it does everything right. after that I figured promare would be great. but then it wasn't. trigger is pretty hit and miss considering how much hype they had at first. but the hits are pretty damn good.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
Sorry for double-posting but holy shit, when did Mononoke get licensed and released out here? I went to Wal-Mart to get something but then dicked around in the media section for a bit and saw it was on the shelves.
View attachment 1306364
Been wanting to rewatch it for a long time. God, it was so good, I wanna see how it held up since I last watched it.
I watched it fairly recently, about a year or two ago, so I can say it definitely holds up. I loved the unique and trippy visuals, and the character of the Medicine Seller was really fun to follow through each episode. I have no doubt that you'll enjoy a rewatch. It's easy to forget sometimes that Toei can produce some really top-quality shows; they're usually overshadowed by their fairly cheap long-running series like Dragon Ball/Z/Super and One Piece.

In that vein, another fun and visually interesting series they've done is Kuuchuu Buranko/Trapeze, about a very unconventional psychiatrist. Plenty of humor throughout, and it's got a great soundtrack too. Well worth checking out.

Reactions: Moguro Fukuzou

Atatata

tfw no cute orc gf
kiwifarms.net
So its been comfirmed that Jujitsu Kaisen is going to adapted by Mappa. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed though, what with all the wuflu and all.

Yuri on Ice and Dororo were pretty good for the first part, but floundered a lot in the later half. And ngl while Dorohedoro was great, it didn't gain all that much from the adaption and the fights could've been better. I'll remain optimistically hopeful for now.

Here's the pv, btw:

Last edited:

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Just finished watching EVA and i desperately crave something similar. Any recommendations? Not the mecha thing but DEEP philosophical bible references thing.
If you’re really craving more Eva, go read Evangelion: Genocide. It’s a fan fic that follows from Ep 24, except Gendo is able to prevent SEELE from initiating the human instrumentality project through political maneuvering, and he now needs to justify NERV’s continued funding and existence in a post-Angel world while fighting SEELE, the UN and the Japanese government for supremacy. That plot runs alongside what is probably the best depiction of Shinji and Asuka’s relationship I’ve seen out of a fan work. It’s a long, slow burn (things get significantly worse for them before getting better) and Shinji doesn’t just magically muster up the courage to do something about her, it’s built up very naturally through his interactions with other characters. Even after they get together all of their problems don’t just magically disappear. It’s a very realistic depiction for how a relationship might blossom for these two very deeply fucked-up people, where you don’t stop being fucked-up just because you have each other.

It’s also fucking LONG. 16 very lengthy chapters. Probably took me about 15 full hours to read through. I know fanfic gets a bad rep, and admittedly most fan fiction is complete garbage. But this isn’t most fan fiction.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: HumanHive

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
I dropped it around episode 5 because holy fuck it feels like Shinzo Abe made this show to get people to fuck especially with its blatant sexual metaphors and how Hiro felt more like an audience stand in than a real character

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
I dropped it around episode 5 because holy fuck it feels like Shinzo Abe made this show to get people to fuck especially with its blatant sexual metaphors and how Hiro felt more like an audience stand in than a real character
You just reminded me of this series of screencap edits with this exact theme.
Abe1.png

Abe2.jpg

Abe3.jpg

abe4.jpg

abe5.jpg

abe6.jpg

abe7.png

Trombonista

Uh-oh. Buckle up, bitch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So its been comfirmed that Jujitsu Kaisen is going to adapted by Mappa. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed though, what with all the wuflu and all.

Yuri on Ice and Dororo were pretty good for the first part, but floundered a lot in the later half. And ngl while Dorohedoro was great, it didn't gain all that much from the adaption and the fights could've been better. I'll remain optimistically hopeful for now.

Here's the pv, btw:
Now I want a second season of Zombieland Saga even more.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I might have to watch Darling and the Frankxx but be prepared to fucking hate it.

I'm of the mind that these days if you're an anime fan in the US piracy is your best bet both quality wise and to keep SJWs from gaining too much of a foothold.

The old days of ADV, Geneon, pre-woke Funimation, Bandai USA etc were worth supporting, but those days are gone.

I understand it can be inconvenient having anime always tied to a computer, but it's worth dealing with if you ask me.
The thing is finding anime is a lot easier with a service, especially less popular/known shows. It also gets to be PAINFULLY annoying to torrent each and every episode if you're watching a current series.

I also can't fault CrunchyRoll for putting out In/Spectre and Tower of God, both of which are really good series. Yes, they also paid for High Guardian Spice, which was fucking idiotic. But...I really love me some In/Spectre. I think it was underrated and I always love supernatural mystery stuff, so it was right up my alley. That being said, Crunchyroll 100% needs to invest in search, categorization and rating. Like, if I'm like 'I want some heinous shit tonight', I can go to literally any other service and hit up TV-MA. Or 'I want something cute, but not for kids', I can look up TV-14 and not TV-PG or whatever. It doesn't even have that. Which has been annoying.

I have no idea what caused creators to drop the heart of isekai because the self-insert power fantasy never felt out of place in series that attempted world-building. But I do honestly feel like the harem genre had something to do with it because it's since become a staple of laziness when you could just rely on the archetypes and not bother to explore the customs to make those archetypes unique to that world. Even when it's just a reverse harem they still fall into that trap because I guess no one can have layers to their personalities and have lives outside of the harem. :/
I honestly think isekai got invaded (no pun intended) by the harem genre. So it became, "Ok, you have the power fantasy and now you have the Harem" which kind of left little to no room left for the world-building. And isekai being a power fantasy is fine, isn't that the whole point? I know in the west we're a lot more shy about making blatant power fantasies anymore (escapism in entertainment now kind of feels like its taboo, oddly). But the harem encroachment sort of stripped the world-building and replaced it with a lot of girls. Or you switch it up with an otome, you get the same problem. Because you have to build the personalities of the characters, you've (generally) got 12, 25 or so minute episodes (excludes openings and closings), so there's really not much time to develop
the world itself.

I admit the melding of harem and isekai have been annoying as FUCK. Like every time a new girl is introduced, they're presented as a love interest. Just give me one or two, give other characters some action for fucks sake. Kind of why I'm glad ReZero keeps it down to one while
Rem (great foreshadowing with the name) is put into a perma coma to completely side-step any romantic drama to further the plot, intrigue and develop the relationship between the two protagonists. Like even 3-4 arcs from now, Rem is STILL unconscious and it doesn't look like her slumber is ending anytime soon.

While it is VERY cheap, I understand why the author did it. The second character grew out of her supporting role organically. And unfortunately, it started to infringe on the main plot. The big problem the author now faces is the audience seems to REALLY prefer Rem over Emilia. It was kind of hard to predict, but still is a bit of the author's fault, because for a large portion of the anime's third act, Emilia's kind of knocked out of it and the relationship growth is like crashed to the ground. Though ReZero's arc where he goes insane from seeing the people he cares about get murdered over and over was amazing

But there was the nice idea of futuristic isekai. Maybe get pulled in sort of a fantasy mixed with cyberpunk world, where technology has taken over magic completely, and everyone laughs at this luddite, but since he's the only one not cybered, he's the only one that can use magic. Shit like that.

Dorohedoro was really good, the problem I feel is that its going to need like 3-4 more seasons to just explore and since Anime seasons are like 5 years in the making, its going to be tough.

• Agree
Reactions: José Mourinho

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I honestly think isekai got invaded (no pun intended) by the harem genre. So it became, "Ok, you have the power fantasy and now you have the Harem" which kind of left little to no room left for the world-building. And isekai being a power fantasy is fine, isn't that the whole point? I know in the west we're a lot more shy about making blatant power fantasies anymore (escapism in entertainment now kind of feels like its taboo, oddly). But the harem encroachment sort of stripped the world-building and replaced it with a lot of girls. Or you switch it up with an otome, you get the same problem. Because you have to build the personalities of the characters, you've (generally) got 12, 25 or so minute episodes (excludes openings and closings), so there's really not much time to develop
the world itself.

I admit the melding of harem and isekai have been annoying as FUCK. Like every time a new girl is introduced, they're presented as a love interest. Just give me one or two, give other characters some action for fucks sake. Kind of why I'm glad ReZero keeps it down to one while
Rem (great foreshadowing with the name) is put into a perma coma to completely side-step any romantic drama to further the plot, intrigue and develop the relationship between the two protagonists. Like even 3-4 arcs from now, Rem is STILL unconscious and it doesn't look like her slumber is ending anytime soon.

While it is VERY cheap, I understand why the author did it. The second character grew out of her supporting role organically. And unfortunately, it started to infringe on the main plot. The big problem the author now faces is the audience seems to REALLY prefer Rem over Emilia. It was kind of hard to predict, but still is a bit of the author's fault, because for a large portion of the anime's third act, Emilia's kind of knocked out of it and the relationship growth is like crashed to the ground. Though ReZero's arc where he goes insane from seeing the people he cares about get murdered over and over was amazing
ReZero's romance is plain bad. While it might be an exclusive problem in the anime due to cutting scenes with the main heroine, if you need to resort to tactical strike of the competition because side characters have a lot more chemistry than the supposedly main duo then something went wrong. having the main character flat out say he isn't attracted to a character is alright because that's real life, going the extra step seems more like vengefulness towards the audience.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
ReZero's romance is plain bad. While it might be an exclusive problem in the anime due to cutting scenes with the main heroine, if you need to resort to tactical strike of the competition because side characters have a lot more chemistry than the supposedly main duo then something went wrong. having the main character flat out say he isn't attracted to a character is alright because that's real life, going the extra step seems more like vengefulness towards the audience.
This got out of hand, but it really turned out to be a thought process on romance in fiction and author forced relationships. So it came out way longer than the plot of an anime. So I'm going to try and cut this down. Oh who the fuck am I kidding. Its one of my posts.

Initially I was relieved it didn't become a harem. I mean, I just finished it and the new season is coming out, so I don't have the bitterness the community does at what happens. So my perspective hasn't been allowed to fester. I've had some time to think it over and you're right.

I think Re:Zero faces the trouble a lot of authors face in romance with very super-loving female interests, who care about everyone around them, with almost Christ-like love (also male protagonists). The reason Emilia feels more distant is because she loves everybody around her and goes the distance for them, no matter who or what they are or how they treat her. The thing is, love is selfish. Its an inherently selfish emotion. You want a person to feel that emotion towards you, just you. You want to be special to them. You don't want to be the same special as everyone else. Its hard for the anime to make a case that there's enough emotional resonance between Emilia and Subaru that equals out the resonance between Rem and Subaru.
Like Rem outright states, "I wouldn't do this for anyone but you." That's love. Frankly, in the first season, most of the emotion we get is from Rem and Subaru. Both go through some pretty major character changes, while Emilia really stays static as a character. Its not really the fault of the character of Emilia as she isn't given enough consideration. We're never given enough for that character change we really need to see if we're supposed to buy into the concept. But then we're supposed to accept Subaru's declaration of love at literally the last five minutes of the series with Emelia basically being, "I don't know what this emotion is" and Subaru going "I'll make you fall in love with me." Which is, ironically, identically what happened to Rem, so I just don't see how Subaru goes untouched.
What you've basically done is create more emotion and chemistry because you needed drama, but still wanted the main love interest to remain mysterious and grow over further seasons/books/manga, so you added a substitute instead. Then, the chemistry becomes greater between the substitute and the protagonist to the exclusion of the main love interest to the point that its very, very noticeable by every reader and viewer. And then If your main goal is to have main love interest and protagonist end up together then:

When the shit Rem and Subaru go through, its kind of hard, like exceptionally so, to see how Subaru wouldn't fall in love with Rem. Its a really, really hard sell. I mean, her pulverizing his skull like twice when they first meet is a huge hurdle, but its also huge character development that's overshadowed. Like you said, not being attracted to someone is realistic, but Re:Zero goes WAY beyond that with Rem and Subaru.

I mean, fucking
this girl who doesn't really know what love is, kind of but doesn't really treat you special, doesn't really 'get' emotion very well, vs. this demon girl who went from hating you to being her hero, to the extent where she has been sadistically tortured and broken, crawls over to you on the floor with maybe the five bones she has left, and frees you, begging you to survive and confessing her love for you as she dies in your arms...that's just...I mean, emotion wise, there's NO fucking comparison with anything that happens with him and Emilia. You know Rem would always do this, even if you couldn't reset for her. You need some serious shit like that in the second season or Emilia and Subaru is a hard fucking sell. Like in terms of attractiveness, they're equal, but even if I was madly in love with one girl and another girl did that for me...kind of would have massive, massive fucking second thoughts. "If she were violently tortured, would she spend her last seconds freeing me, not wanting to save herself but for me to survive and save the people I care about because she loves me?" I mean, how does that shit NOT eat away at you? I honestly don't think the protagonist's love is strong enough to compare to that when it occurs in the anime.

To be quite honest, the author states Rem outgrew the role he had in mind organically for her. The problem is he needed to continue with that organic growth and he just really didn't. He realized the problem that, emotionally, character-wise, development wise and plot wise, the secondary character and protagonist simply, by nature of events, would be in love in comparison to interaction with that first character. It is VERY difficult for me to see, as a writer, the dramatic and emotional comparisons along with the character growth. I feel like the author wanted to have his cake and eat it too, and he just did not want to deal with the consequences.

The really, really obvious answer to me was to kill Rem and have her confess her love at her death. (I mean the other obvious answer is don't use a fucking substitute you idiot). Don't give it a chance to grow, don't give it a chance to compete, because its just not going to be able to with the material given. It sucks and is really fucking sad and a real downer in the story that sort of doesn't fit with the tone of it, has a cheap feel to it and will probably drastically impact the first part your story goes through. But if your end goal is Emilia x Subaru, you gotta crash this shit with no survivors. You can't let their relationship outpace the protagonist's. Instead, he made the mistake of letting it grow, then realizing his mistake, not really knowing what to do with it, then realizing that killing Rem off at this point would basically shut the main relationship down for at least half a season,
he went for the coward's way out. I don't see it as vengeful. I see it as an author who KNOWS he has massively fucked up but doesn't really know how to course correct. He doesn't like the idea of killing Rem off, because then he'd lose all of that development. So he uses a tactical nuke, makes her comatose and buries it for ten books so that Emilia's relationship can advance beyond Rem's without being a complete downer by just killing her. Though to equal out they're going to need to put Emilia through some tough and brutal scenarios.

At the end of the day, I think the romance between the two would have worked. Just friendzone Emilia and go 'I believe in your cause, but I love somebody else.' I mean, shit's worked before. Problem is, this is way less dramatic, will lead to less dramatic tension. And at the same time, having Subaru and Rem fall in love, but kill Rem, stalls out the main relationship drama for probably a long time. If it could ever believably recover.

And now you have a fanbase where they favor the side character over the main love interest. So uh, yeah. Now you have fucked up.

Tags
None