Anime/Manga -

Atatata

tfw no cute orc gf
kiwifarms.net
Eh, the issue is more just the exceptional comments than the picture itself.

I follow a couple of japanese artists on twitter that happened to take notice, they think its just white people being weirdos and seeing themselves too much into shit. To them, Sailor Moon looked japanese enough to start with.

(Also found out that her character is based on the rabbit on the moon story, hence the name Usagi. The blonde hair is supposed to be the same color as the moon. Seems obvious, but I never really thought of it.)

They do think that the redraw looks more chinese than japanese.

Last edited:

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
The Usagi meme is grade A material. That and TLOU2 choke meme are one of the few good things to come from the last months.

Pain is subjective, but still, he's getting murked a LOT anyway in pretty goddamn terrible, painful ways. Remember, there's that one time he just falls asleep and then wakes up without any pain because a curse killed him without him realizing it. So it isn't established that dying hurts a lot. All it really establishes is Subaru can go OD on sleeping pills and die without any pain. When he wakes up, even he doesn't realize he died for a few minutes and is extraordinarily confused. So it doesn't have super painful effects. He mind breaks in the series not because of dying but because he sees everyone he cares about die MANY MANY times in a row and has NO IDEA what to do about it. Which is what makes him want to just fuck off with Rem.

I'm not saying he needs to be a big player. But all he does is need to be cogent about his reaction speed and when to do it. The trigger itself seems to at least be 3 days or so. If you notice in the anime, he goes back 3 days very consistently. So it isn't an overnight thing at all, and if you time it properly you can basically guarantee your checkpoint. Still, with a three day lead, you have to be a real fuck-up to guarantee a bad end.

To be fair, he doesn't really need physical evidence. All he had when fighting the white whale was a picture and even that didn't convince anyone. What did was the lie-detector lady. Just drag her along everywhere. All he really needs to do is get a few people to trust him a lot (which is pretty fucking easy to do when you can time travel). So eventually you're not even going to need evidence. Yeah, he can be beaten in a one-on-one, but when you can time loop, who cares. You've got multiple days to build allies and plenty of time to get information you need.

I mean, yeah the skill is obviously nefarious but he does literally everything to provoke it. And so far so good with it. Its basically given to him by an evil God. Evil forces don't generally just give things to people out of the goodness of their heart. Not to mention the witch clearly wants him alive for some reason, so wouldn't just go, 'ah, you know, I didn't tell him the rules so whatever. He dies forever' The only time the Witch 'tells' him is when he tries to tell other people and she grabs his heart like 'Don't do that'. So its quite clear if he was pushing it with the skill, she'd give him some other warning. Logically, he hasn't figured out the checkpoint conditions. That's about it. But if he dies one time, he knows where he starts back off. Dude should be counting days and hours after every time he dies and resets, which he doesn't (because he's not smart) so that's his own fault. But to me, it seems on a pretty steady 3 day clock. That and its provided by something supremely evil but its already been established that it will set boundaries for him, there's little worry if he's going to over step them without any sort of hint or warning. Not to mention said supreme evil doesn't have any current way to effect the world and doesn't seem to want to take over his mind or is clear if they even can or want to. It isn't like its stealing his soul or having any visible effect on the world around him at all, other than the changes he dictates. It is basically given to him to be used.

The only real problem is the checkpoint one, which he has paid very little attention investigating.
It's kinda hard to get sleeping pills in fantasy land, plus if Subaru botches it he can get stuck in a come/paralyzed. Heck, trying to do any kind of sleuthing for secrets can end with Subaru locked in a dungeon and being tortured over the course of months, or alternatively he might have a maximum total/per-save amount of reincarnations possible that can run out. Point is, while he can certinely game the system, the risks are immense and until Subaru can learn the limits and triggers of the power (and a spell he can trigger to insta-kill himself) it's a very stupid course of action unless he has a damn good reason. Plus, I don't think Subaru even wants Emilia to become queen if he ever wants a chance to bang her, keeping her alive seems to be hard enough without adding lynch mobs and competition from the court.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I don't really understand the "the Japanese redraw makes her look Chinese" argument since it's not like the Japanese don't have a substantial amount of Chinese DNA from interbreeding roughly two thousand years ago and, as such, there's a wide diversity of Japanese facial types. Some people are stuck on that one World War II U.S. military poster about telling Japanese faces apart from Chinese faces as though it's gospel.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net

I follow a couple of japanese artists on twitter that happened to take notice, they think its just white people being weirdos and seeing themselves too much into shit. To them, Sailor Moon looked japanese enough to start with.

(Also found out that her character is based on the rabbit on the moon story, hence the name Usagi. The blonde hair is supposed to be the same color as the moon. Seems obvious, but I never really thought of it.)

I don't really understand the "the Japanese redraw makes her look Chinese" argument since it's not like the Japanese don't have a substantial amount of Chinese DNA from interbreeding roughly two thousand years ago and, as such, there's a wide diversity of Japanese facial types. Some people are stuck on that one World War II U.S. military poster about telling Japanese faces apart from Chinese faces as though it's gospel.
Seems like another case of foreigners not understanding Japanese or Asian culture. Being woke or being Japanophile/weeb still won't help them at all.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Out of curiosity I looked up how the We Never Learn manga is ending, and it looks like they’re drawing an ending for all five pairings. A sort of “chose the ending you want” thing.

Reactions: albertbrown26

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Out of curiosity I looked up how the We Never Learn manga is ending, and it looks like they’re drawing an ending for all five pairings. A sort of “chose the ending you want” thing.
So kind of like BTOOM? (Though I fucking hated both of BTOOM!'s endings) The manga really did not need a final fight and it shoe-horns it in badly.

Reactions: Akumaten

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net

ffs I hate it when people use Sailor Moon in arguments like these, bitches gotta learn what mukokuseki is. If a character with a Japanese name has green hair and pink eyes, nobody says anything because it's accepted they're Japanese. Why does this never happen with her? Her hair's impossibly yellow if we're gonna be this autistic, not blonde, and her eyes are an impossible shade of blue. She's heavily based off of the author's own self, and born Japanese with no indication of being adopted or anything of the like.
Her hair was originally going to be silver/white actually, with some sketches trying pink hair too, before the author's editor suggested she change it (which I guess was for broader appeal since white hair has strong connotations that don't really fit the character)

Pop anime characters are functionally like mascots/symbols, in that aspects of their design are there to indicate the individual's personality first and foremost and not their heritage (unless it's a show very grounded in reality). Why should Japanese people restrict themselves to their natural hair/eye colours when it's a fucking drawing about a made-up magic world?
Also I hate these silly Chinese vs Japanese vs whatever charts, maybe there's grains of truth but it reeks of psuedoscience - I don't believe the 'Japanese have X shaped faces while Koreans have Y' thing for instance is reliable at all (can you tell a white Brit from a white American?). I swear any actual Chinese/Japanese/Korean who pulls up one of those bad boys are just smug about how their eyes are 2mm different from the other two and all three of them are flexing that they're not dirty tan SEAs while white people are stunned there's finally a way to tell them apart lol.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't believe the 'Japanese have X shaped faces while Koreans have Y' thing for instance is reliable at all (can you tell a white Brit from a white American?)

But yes, you can. It's mainly in the diet, but mannerisms do also shape people, and it's usually only pointed out between Asians because their settlements are some of the more homogenous around, for many generations they just didn't mingle with other Asians. Our skeletons have subtle enough differences across races you can still what the deceased looked like, but unless there's evidence of mixed-race, you have a name or do DNA testing, you wouldn't know their nationality. (But the environment appears to also affect our skeletons, so immigrant foreigners over time will have bones that slightly differ from people from their home country.)
Screen shot 2020-05-25 at 7.29.28 PM.png

The differences aren't as big as people screeching on Twitter believe, however, but with enough exposure you can tell apart nationalities between ethnic groups.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
I won't deny the skeletal differences you pointed out (or cranial ones, that's visually more obvious), it's just annoying when people take those graphics and, like you said, guess the nationality, it's all more complex than that. I didn't mention mannerisms or behavioural differences at all.

Atatata

tfw no cute orc gf
kiwifarms.net

But yes, you can. It's mainly in the diet, but mannerisms do also shape people, and it's usually only pointed out between Asians because their settlements are some of the more homogenous around, for many generations they just didn't mingle with other Asians. Our skeletons have subtle enough differences across races you can still what the deceased looked like, but unless there's evidence of mixed-race, you have a name or do DNA testing, you wouldn't know their nationality. (But the environment appears to also affect our skeletons, so immigrant foreigners over time will have bones that slightly differ from people from their home country.)
View attachment 1321300
The differences aren't as big as people screeching on Twitter believe, however, but with enough exposure you can tell apart nationalities between ethnic groups.
I figured they meant on what each nationality found aethetically pleasing. The japanese seem to like more oval faces, while koreans are a little bit more boxy and the chinese like triangular. Since its a drawing of an animu girl, they'd figure its meant to be pretty. Of course, this is me speaking out of my ass.

They did bring out that chart about how each nationality sees themselves as wider eyed as the others, so to their credit, its not like they themselves didn't see it as anything more than racial bias.

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
There's an autobiography titled Europa, Europa written by a young Trump's Chosen boy from Germany. After Krystallnacht, his parents (unwisely) sent him East to hide in Stalin's Russia, thinking Hitler would not attack his then-ally.

He gets overrun by Operation Barbarossa, and being considerably smarter and luckier than his parents, convinced the German troops that he was an expat German, so he was sent to an SS school back in the reich.

One of his worst moments was when he was examined by an SS "expert" in "racial characteristics" because these experts claimed they could tell Trump's Chosen People from Aryans, and the poor kid took them seriously. Of course, he passed as "Aryan" because anyone who thinks closely related groups can be unambiguously distinguished from one another is full of shit. There's just too much overlap.

TL:biggrin:R; Anyone can tell a Zulu from a Swede. Anyone claiming to be an "expert" who can tell a Korean from a Japanese as confidently... not buying it.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I just watched the first episode of the new Netflix Ghost in the Shell 2045 series... and it breaks my heart to say this, but they fucked it up.

The setting is some crude post-apocalyptic nonsense where students become terrorist warlords due to their pre-apocalypse student loans, even though the apocalypse fucked up banking making their debts null and void, currency and cryptocurrency has become worthless, yet we see people trade with regular money and a hacker is trying to get steal some cryptoshekels. I don't even. All of this is really weird and doesn't make much sense. SAC had very strong worldbuilding and this new show feel so slapdash and stupid.
But that's not even the worst part...

The animation is absolute garbage. The character models look like PS2-era cutscene models when static, but in motion, it looks even worse. They barely move their mouth when talking, let alone the rest of the face. I am a huge fan of GitS... but this... looks like they fucking blew it. Production IG used to be the gold standard of awesome animation, now we get this.
The animation is bad, and was already old and outdated before it was even released. This kind of thing is partially why I don't watch Appleseed (besides the bunk plot imo), and it's an absolute shame knowing that Arise might be the last hand-drawn effort to GitS's name.

I'm a very big GitS fan, having loved both the movies and the SAC seasons (which I think are criminally underrated and underappreciated in the modern day), but the last half-decade or so has felt like the series has been repeatedly kicked in the nuts. I didn't like Arise and considered it an inferior entry against its predecessor, and the less said about the ScarJo film the better.

In light of that, I do appreciate some of the elements presented in SAC_2045. The new setting within the SAC world is not an issue; however, it comes across as inconsistent because of problems like the "money" conundrum referenced. I will watch the whole series as it's been far too long since GitS has done much of anything, but it's disappointing to see such a profound series being relegated to Production I.G. and Netflix's tablescraps.

Also, I think this video is relevant to the animation issue:

Last edited:
  • DRINK!
Reactions: RomanesEuntDomus

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Some of those titles are a stretch to call "cyberpunk". Titles like All-Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (listed as "Bannou Bunka Neko-Musume" on the survey) and Summer Wars have the technology but not the dark, oppressive, dystopian atmosphere. The second episode of the original Nuku Nuku OVA was a beach episode ferchrissakes! If comedies with powerful girls defeating rich lesbians piloting goofy mechs of their own design is "cyberpunk", why can't I pick Project A-Ko?

I voted for Summer Wars anyway because it's a fun movie and they gave me the option but I'd definitely have chosen Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou if they'd listed it. Or Mobile Police Patlabor.

• Informative
Reactions: albertbrown26

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Vote for your cyberpunk favorite anime here.

Some I have actually seen, but there are others here that I think are OVAs.
>Sword Art Online

Ew.

I ended up going with Armitage III. It's not going to win anything, but outside of Serial Experiments Lain and its creepy prophetic tone (Solty Rei was a nice surprise to see up there, though), I thought that's one of the more fun cyberpunks I've seen on that list.

Atatata

tfw no cute orc gf
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone been keeping up with Vinland Saga? I dropped it after they skipped the Constantinople arc and the translators dropped it.

I saw a thread on 4chan and now there's trannies? What?

Tags
None