Anime/Manga -

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
The Thread about Beware! Children at play reminded me the ending of Shiki, an anime about a small town with vampires infesting it. The ending of which was glorious:
The vampires get absolutely massacred by the town inhabitants once they have a proof of the vampire's existence. The anime tries to argue that the humans became just as monstrous as the vampires, which is bullshit because the vampires not only continuously refuse to peacefully coexist with humans (especially as their blood drinking isn't lethal the first two days and can be done via IV, as well as the occupants being fairly nice to them throughout the show) but are shown to be inherently sadistic.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Thread about Beware! Children at play reminded me the ending of Shiki, an anime about a small town with vampires infesting it. The ending of which was glorious:
The vampires get absolutely massacred by the town inhabitants once they have a proof of the vampire's existence. The anime tries to argue that the humans became just as monstrous as the vampires, which is bullshit because the vampires not only continuously refuse to peacefully coexist with humans (especially as their blood drinking isn't lethal the first two days and can be done via IV, as well as the occupants being fairly nice to them throughout the show) but are shown to be inherently sadistic.
I think I only ever saw an AMV of that show, but I remember the deaths being rather brutal at the end. Also the pink hair stalker vampire.

Night Owl

How long have I waited...
kiwifarms.net
Its kind of different, honestly. Basically, 90% of the human race is extinct. Unbenknownst to them, Earth has become a theme park run by a corporation (Aliens) with the last city on Earth acting like an IRL MMO hub. These aliens employ what seem to be robots and give mix work/free time by 'playing' an MMO, harvesting fuel from these large creatures.

Its really a weird concept.
In the latest episode it's revealed that Earth became uninhabitable in the future due to air pollution and big corporations began making cyborgs who eventually overtook humanity in population. The biggest company of them all then bought the rights to the human race and turned a chunk of the planet into an entertainment zone. I don't think they're aliens, they're former humans who were turned into cyborgs to escape extinction and became a part of the well-oiled corporate machine (heh) of Solid Quake. However, it's possible at least some of it is bullshit corporate propaganda because it still doesn't explain everything.

Xenomorphs Are Cute

kiwifarms.net
So finally the Goblin Slayer movie got a release date: July 28th, it will air on Crunchyroll.

Also, 'The Great Pretender' is out August 20th on Netflix. So some good shit is coming up.

Its kind of different, honestly. Basically, 90% of the human race is extinct. Unbenknownst to them, Earth has become a theme park run by a corporation (Aliens) with the last city on Earth acting like an IRL MMO hub. These aliens employ what seem to be robots and give mix work/free time by 'playing' an MMO, harvesting fuel from these large creatures.

Its really a weird concept.
Fun Fact: the first 14 episodes of Great Pretender is out for months (the last one being out a month ago). In fact, it was on Netflix for a while before being subbed by fansubbers. It's even airing on Japanese TVs since 8th of July.

So if anything, it's more like it's finally returning instead of being region locked behind Netflix Jail.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think if Sunako had been treated differently by her parents after she turned, she might not've gone on to want to massacre people, especially since it looks like even if you become a vampire, you still have that choice of being sadistic killers or try to assimilate. It might've been implied her will overpowers the others as like the head-mistress or queen bee in that particular area or something, so it didn't seem like the vampires had any other choice if they wanted to live. Even though the normal villagers who were turned were rather bratty, I think the deaths were still rather cruel for most of them. Like those are deaths you reserve for truly evil characters, but I don't recall the turned villagers having actually gone on a murder/raping/what-have-you spree beforehand to have deserved such cruel and unusual deaths.

Toshio Ozaki I thought was a fascinatingly terrifying character, though, who just devolved into madness while trying to figure out how to cure being turned. When he did the experiments on his wife, he crossed that line of no return for me, like he just showed nothing. He's the best case to make the argument of "Who are the real monsters?" the anime tries to ask.

Even with its flaws, I honestly enjoyed Shiki. The OST in particular has gone on to be one of my favorites because of its Gothic, haunting atmosphere, and I think that's what I'll go on to remember the most fondly about the series.

Reactions: jspit

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I think if Sunako had been treated differently by her parents after she turned, she might not've gone on to want to massacre people, especially since it looks like even if you become a vampire, you still have that choice of being sadistic killers or try to assimilate. It might've been implied her will overpowers the others as like the head-mistress or queen bee in that particular area or something, so it didn't seem like the vampires had any other choice if they wanted to live. Even though the normal villagers who were turned were rather bratty, I think the deaths were still rather cruel for most of them. Like those are deaths you reserve for truly evil characters, but I don't recall the turned villagers having actually gone on a murder/raping/what-have-you spree beforehand to have deserved such cruel and unusual deaths.

Toshio Ozaki I thought was a fascinatingly terrifying character, though, who just devolved into madness while trying to figure out how to cure being turned. When he did the experiments on his wife, he crossed that line of no return for me, like he just showed nothing. He's the best case to make the argument of "Who are the real monsters?" the anime tries to ask.

Even with its flaws, I honestly enjoyed Shiki. The OST in particular has gone on to be one of my favorites because of its Gothic, haunting atmosphere, and I think that's what I'll go on to remember the most fondly about the series.
Most of the crimes the vampires do are implied, but it's pretty clear the region has been decimated by their blood sucking, which is already bad enough to justify death sentence. But at least from Toshio and the pink haired girl's friend it seems like they enjoy emotionally torturing others. With Toshio the vampires could have just killed him but decided to poke him until he gloriously snapped and tore them a new asshole, but in the end he was a monster the vampires created from their hubris.
In the end the vampires are pitiable but pity doesn't excuse their actions when it was clear that there are non lethal alternatives.
Anyways I don't think it was a major flaw since the message wasn't attempted to shove it in your throat, but it still didn't feel like a deserved message.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In the latest episode it's revealed that Earth became uninhabitable in the future due to air pollution and big corporations began making cyborgs who eventually overtook humanity in population. The biggest company of them all then bought the rights to the human race and turned a chunk of the planet into an entertainment zone. I don't think they're aliens, they're former humans who were turned into cyborgs to escape extinction and became a part of the well-oiled corporate machine (heh) of Solid Quake. However, it's possible at least some of it is bullshit corporate propaganda because it still doesn't explain everything.
I am looking forward to the series direction.

Fun Fact: the first 14 episodes of Great Pretender is out for months (the last one being out a month ago). In fact, it was on Netflix for a while before being subbed by fansubbers. It's even airing on Japanese TVs since 8th of July.

So if anything, it's more like it's finally returning instead of being region locked behind Netflix Jail.
This is true, but par for the course for Netflix anime. It region locks a ton of shit. I assume because Crunchyroll/Funimation bought the exclusive rights.

jspit

kiwifarms.net

I back and forth on it. Is it one of those bridge anime that deserves a curve?

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I back and forth on it. Is it one of those bridge anime that deserves a curve?
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by this, but if you meant that it needed a bit more twists and turns to keep it from being a bit straightforward, yeah, I think it could've done a couple more things to keep the audience on their toes. It's a mystery series, but that mystery was "solved" (more of less) I think before the halfway point, so the rest of it was just us waiting for the villagers to make a move or for everyone else to be turned if it so desired.

Reactions: jspit

albertbrown26

#1 Bill Hicks fan
kiwifarms.net
Has there been anyone on here that has watched Made In Abyss all the way through?
That along with Angel Beats were at one point considered to be “flavor of the month animu”.
Is it still popular with KF users?

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Glitter Force didn't do the trick?
I'll admit, I checked out Glitter Force just to see how bad it was...and it was like I stepped in a time machine and went back to 1999. It's not the kind of thing I'd enjoy today as an adult but I could see myself liking it when I was a kid.

Glitter Force is the kind of dub that would've done well on cable or Fox Kids/Kids WB! around the late 90's and very early 2000's when the big "Anime Boom" at the Turn of the Millennium started but it's a relic now.

Really, a lot of people were probably expecting a proper Pretty Cure release but I think Saban was going old school and actually aiming for a kid audience instead of a weeb one.

welcometotherock

Chanticleer Hegemony
kiwifarms.net
I've decided to catch up on One Piece since I left off right at the beginning of Water 7 when I was in community college. All I have to say is that I feel like such a retard for wasting my time obsessing over Naruto when I was younger instead of One Piece. Supposedly, everything between Water 7 and the time skip is the best storytelling that Eiichiro Oda ever put out, so I'm gladly looking forward to finishing the rest.

Also, Going Merry best girl.

Atatata

Is corona-chan gone yet?
kiwifarms.net
Has there been anyone on here that has watched Made In Abyss all the way through?
That along with Angel Beats were at one point considered to be “flavor of the month animu”.
I watched all of MiA, but haven't watched the newest movie and haven't kept up with the manga since they introduced the moth girl. I liked it just fine. Just not much to talk about, I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: albertbrown26

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Man, I wish Angel Beats had gotten the length it was suppose to instead of getting its runtime cut in half.

Tags
None