Anime/Manga -

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
So uh, how popular is Rick & Morty in Japan, anyway?
Well it looks better than the last short, but then again everything looks better than crappy Studio DEEN CGI. But was this really needed? They were already stretching it with the previous short. Hell, I'd argue Bushwolrd was pushing it, even if it's the only good short.

Moguro Fukuzou

Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed
kiwifarms.net
I'm somewhat glad that there isn't anything this season really of interest to me, most shows I was looking into watch have been pushed to Fall season. It gives me a chance to actually attempt to whittle down my PTW list by a bit and get around to finishing up what I put on hold from the spring season.

I've seen ID: Invaded recommended here multiple times so I plan to check that out too, doesn't help I'm a sucker for crime/mystery/whodunnit series. Honestly surprised it flew under my radar since I usually at least watch the first 3 episodes of all new series that fall into those genre before dropping them if I don't find them good. Bunch of entertaining series that sadly get passed over.
Ojamajo Doremi
I vaguely remember catching some of the 4kids version of that back when they aired it and enjoying it. Didn't know it had so many episodes.

Has there been anyone on here that has watched Made In Abyss all the way through?
That along with Angel Beats were at one point considered to be “flavor of the month animu”.
Is it still popular with KF users?
I've watched the MiA series but haven't gotten around to the movie yet nor read any of the manga. Personally, I really enjoyed the series just for the world building it took part in, felt like a breath of fresh air with all the garbage isekai vaguely european settings, and really sucked me in. I'm a massive sucker for shows that are able to feel like a fully realized world or at least succeed at bringing something interesting to the table. Many series struggle with this or don't even bother to try since it means you have to actually think about your setting rather then just slap on templates.

The more recently aired Somali and the Forest Spirit gave me a similar vibe (helped by the gorgeous backgrounds) though nowhere near as soul crushing as MiA could get.

• Informative
Reactions: Draza

jspit

kiwifarms.net
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by this, but if you meant that it needed a bit more twists and turns to keep it from being a bit straightforward, yeah, I think it could've done a couple more things to keep the audience on their toes. It's a mystery series, but that mystery was "solved" (more of less) I think before the halfway point, so the rest of it was just us waiting for the villagers to make a move or for everyone else to be turned if it so desired.
essentially.

CWCchange

Ɔʍɔɔɥɐuƃǝ
kiwifarms.net
Bleh, so far but the ED?

Reminds me of an old music video from The Offspring where the same innuendo was used.

Reactions: jspit

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
Has there been any further word on the Demon Slayer anime (including the movie) given ufotable's tax troubles?

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
I posted these in the Adult Swim thread, but for those that don't follow that, here's what Toonami announced last week about upcoming projects, all of which are scheduled to come out sometime next year (you can thank the Wu Flu for the delays):

The Uzumaki four-part miniseries is still being worked on, here's an interview with the director:

After hearing basically nothing for the past couple years, we learned that Blade Runner: Black Lotus does indeed exist, but it's going to be a CGI series and not traditionally-animated, sadly. An interview with the directors:

And finally, a new collaboration between Adult Swim and Production I.G., Fena: Pirate Princess. Trailer:

• Informative
Reactions: Deadwaste

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Subs are out for the Shinkalion movie, so now you can understand the dialog when Hatsune Miku pilots her bullet train/giant robot against Godzilla.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
80s/90s anime aesthetic is so appealing to me still. Even when animation wasn't always top tier and even when a lot of what came out was lowbrow smut i just like the overall design sense of that era, it was so cool. I remember when anime studios started making the switch from traditional celluloid to digital early 00s and shows looked so weird to me all of a sudden like comparing the first saber marionette J or Slayers seasons with the next sagas that came out in digital and looked way cheaper and designs started getting too rounded and moeish.

slayers.jpg

Xenomorphs Are Cute

kiwifarms.net
80s/90s anime aesthetic is so appealing to me still. Even when animation wasn't always top tier and even when a lot of what came out was lowbrow smut i just like the overall design sense of that era, it was so cool. I remember when anime studios started making the switch from traditional celluloid to digital early 00s and shows looked so weird to me all of a sudden like comparing the first saber marionette J or Slayers seasons with the next sagas that came out in digital and looked way cheaper and designs started getting too rounded and moeish.

View attachment 1484090
View attachment 1484071
I knew I'm not the only one who thought that.

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
I think a lot of that is up to the fact that traditional animation is always gonna look better and push the artist to try harder. but the drop in cost and increase in convenience switching to digital is just too tempting. and as time goes on the skills for traditional animation will be lost entirely. that's actually why the simpsons went digital, the schools weren't producing new animators with the necessary skills for that anymore.

80s/90s anime aesthetic is so appealing to me still.
You just gotta admire shoestring budget animes, not only animation is ridiculously difficult but when you barely have the resources to put something together it takes a passionate and dedicated team to sit down and see it through, case in point the 97 Berserk adaption is mostly just stills slowly panned and conversations in 3 frames but you can feel the love, they could not show a lot but whatever was on screen they made sure to look as good as possible. Shame it's the only adaptation though, i wonder what wonderful animation we could get with the wonders of modern technology.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1484090
View attachment 1484071
I actually was telling one of my little brothers about this last night after we watched Ghost in the Shell together as he's slowly dipping his toes more into older anime. (It was his first time seeing it, and I think he watched it right off the heels of Wicked City as a way to "cleanse" or "try to forget" some moments since that was also his first time really delving more into adult anime, even though he really liked Akira when he watched it a couple years back.) He happened to bring up how early One Piece had a similar feel to it, and I pointed out that OP is a good example of how style evolves over time, especially when it came to animation since OP used to be cel-animated, but was digitally colored and it moved into digital animation within a few years. But in keeping with the topic of how an anime looks, I told him you could usually tell from a glance what era the anime's from as '80s anime looks rounder and softer while '90s anime got rougher, harder lines particularly in the face.

Because he's a DBZ fan, I told him that the entirety of Dragon Ball has to be the best example of showing off the transition from '80s aesthetics to '90s aesthetics since it was on the air straight for a good decade. From memory, I said you could tell when DBZ left the '80s look to become more '90s when they entered the Namek saga, though it may have been more with the Android saga, but by Buu, the '90s look was much more noticeable compared to when Raditz first showed on the scene. GT was the most strikingly-different Dragon Ball had ever looked at the time until digital animation kicked in, and that's why Super looks as modern as it does. There's still a bit of a '90s appearance to it, but it's been overtaken by the look of the 2010s that if it wasn't for the iconic character designs, you might not've been able to realize you're watching a Dragon Ball production at first.

In terms of manga, I reminded him of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure being another example of seeing how male character archetypes change over time, and that's why newcomers whined about Jonathan Joestar when it was first airing on Toonami because his character type hasn't been seen (or at least hasn't been in the public eye) since the '80s.

I have a good little brother. He's rather chillax about his opinions, but he's become more open-minded about branching out with anime lately, which is good. It used to be harder to get him to branch out, but after leaving him to his own devices, looks like he's slowly coming around. Maybe it won't be long before he finally decides to return to the Patlabor TV series after his blind purchase of the first movie thinking he'd be getting Evangelion-esque mecha battles lol.

Tags
None