Anime/Manga -

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember trying to watch Twin Tails while it was airing but dear God, the QUALITY of the broadcast version was too much. I dropped it to wait for the BD where they'd fix it but never got around to watching it through since I forgot about it.
I honestly don't remember the broadcast version, maybe I subconsciously was aware of it but it made the show that much funnier to me, I dunno. It was a late-night binge I had done, that might've been why, then I had a rewatch with the Blu-Ray later with a brother.

• Informative
Reactions: Moguro Fukuzou

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

Buying a Switch & Animal Crossing with Trump bucks
kiwifarms.net
Just rewatched the first episode of Fate Zero for the third time and I didn't hate it nearly as much this time. I only caught myself rolling my eyes about three times. This worries me though, it might just be Stockholm syndrome or smething something abusive relationship. To be honest though I think it's just because I've grown to like the characters from Zero as incarnated in other Fate related media and as such am somewhat consciously trying to be kinder in my review of the show as a whole. The dialog is still just awful though regardless of sub or dub. The awkward pauses and blank bug eyed expressions force me to compare characters I want to like to characters like Heero from Gundam Wing. The delivery is almost the same but the way Gundam Wing does it just seems more natural.. well as natural as it can be considering most of Heero's dialog is psychopathic ramblings. That's saying something considering that the dub for Gundam Wing is famously awful and yet somehow more natural than this lazy cash out.

All that said, I actually did enjoy myself during this rewatch and I plan to at least try to watch the rest. Couldn't do it the last time and I don't remember why.

jellycar

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
80s/90s anime aesthetic is so appealing to me still. Even when animation wasn't always top tier and even when a lot of what came out was lowbrow smut i just like the overall design sense of that era, it was so cool. I remember when anime studios started making the switch from traditional celluloid to digital early 00s and shows looked so weird to me all of a sudden like comparing the first saber marionette J or Slayers seasons with the next sagas that came out in digital and looked way cheaper and designs started getting too rounded and moeish.

View attachment 1484090
View attachment 1484071
I have the entire slayers anime and ova and films. I gotta start watching it one day. I finished the first film.
Why is Naga the boobie lady not in the TV show?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Kari Kamiya

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
I have the entire slayers anime and ova and films. I gotta start watching it one day. I finished the first film.
Why is Naga the boobie lady not in the TV show?
I want to say it's either for joke reasons or because the TV series canonically take place after the films (note how the other three main characters make no appearance in any of the films Naga's in), but I'm not 100% certain on that.

jellycar

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is Serial Experiments Lain good? I thought I read Bridget Hoffman plays the main character. Love her.

But is it one of those trippy batshit confusing meta animes because I'm not really into that.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is Serial Experiments Lain good? I thought I read Bridget Hoffman plays the main character. Love her.

But is it one of those trippy batshit confusing meta animes because I'm not really into that.
And that is exactly why you should watch it. Should literally be required watching for all Internet denizens tbqh.

jellycar

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And that is exactly why you should watch it. Should literally be required watching for all Internet denizens tbqh.
Is it at least easy to follow. I've seen Utena and Evangelion so I'm somewhat familiar with a mind screw. Hell even GITS is one.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is it at least easy to follow. I've seen Utena and Evangelion so I'm somewhat familiar with a mind screw. Hell even GITS is one.
The show's meant to be openly interpreted so there's technically no right or wrong answers, but at the halfway point it delves deep into the history of computers and conspiracy theories seemingly out of the blue, so you kinda have to pay attention at times. If you're worried about losing the plot, then I suggest you put aside an afternoon to marathon it. Given you've already seen Utena and Evangelion, then Serial Experiments Lain is inevitable to round out the trifecta of mindscrew '90s anime.

Also if you've seen Digimon Tamers, then SEL should be an interesting watch given Konaka Chiaki is the screenwriter for both series.

albertbrown26

#1 Bill Hicks fan
kiwifarms.net
I’m gearing up to officially get back to reading Eureka Seven soon. I read the first two volumes last year, and I thought it was slightly better than Gurren Lagann. It should be a huge trip down memory lane.

Plus the memes surrounding it are very great. 4chan adores this anime so much, they used to make regular Lain threads next to their Evangelion and K-On threads.

160E791C-E050-4EAA-BB74-6E492BB4A08E.gif
BF40B275-C422-4AAF-9FA6-3A0A9EA8D7B4.jpeg

Also would like to point out that Yoshitoshi ABe was responsible for behind the scenes work for this, along with Technolyze, Haibane Renmei and Welcome to the N.H.K

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I think I found Golden Batman and downloaded it for a watch because lol Korean knockoffs and then never did, but that's the closest I got to knowing about Golden Bat.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I watched Ouran High School Host Club knowing pretty much nothing about it expecting it to be a dumb yaoi romantic comedy, and totally was not expecting it to actually have a degree of serious emotional and character depth. The beginning was a bit slow but it picked up for me around ep 5 or so.

Also, I imagine I'm probably one of the few people who watched it without knowing that Haruhi is a girl, which I bet is some sort of accomplishment.

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
The Goblin Slayer movie, Goblin's Crown, was decent. Before it got it's international release I saw people grumble that it was a disappointing adaption of the arc, so I steeled myself for disappointment, but it turned out well. From what I've read of the manga's version of the arc (which is still only about half-way done) the anime abbreviates some parts but doesn't really lose anything. Maybe in the light novel it has some sort of grand, epic conclusion that the anime botched but I wouldn't know.

My biggest problem with it is that the animation and general look of it is still too overly smooth, clean, and just overall bland. With it being a movie I was hoping they would've stepped up and made it look noticeably better but instead it looks like a standard episode of the series.

Reactions: Draza

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also, I imagine I'm probably one of the few people who watched it without knowing that Haruhi is a girl, which I bet is some sort of accomplishment.
I mean, there were times I had to remind myself Haruhi was a girl, but yeah, watching the entire thing thinking Haruhi was totally a boy is something, alright.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I mean, there were times I had to remind myself Haruhi was a girl, but yeah, watching the entire thing thinking Haruhi was totally a boy is something, alright.
Oh no I meant without knowing before it's revealed in the show. I imagine it's more or less common knowledge to anyone tangentially aware of the show.

• Agree
Reactions: melty
Tags
None