Anime/Manga - Discuss Japanese cartoons and comics here; NO CULTURE WAR DOOMPOSTING!

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I do not know anything about Chainsawman. Heard it was getting an anime. That is it.

But based on what you two have said about it..... I will check it out.

Yes, MAPPA is doing Chainsawman. I'm also worried. Mainly cause it seems like they are spreading themselves too thin by doing a bunch of projects all at once/back to back.

Juju Kaisen was alright. But that is about it.

It went downhill for me after episode 13. Mainly due to the pacing being weird by introducing a metric fuck ton of side characters and then throwing all their back stories at you.

Really fucked with the action sequences in jarring way.

Like @Tism the Return said, it feels like a diet Hunter x Hunter at this point.
To be fair that’s not Mappa’s fault, that’s something you gotta take up with the manga.

To me, JJK is just a refinement of the Shonen formula for the modern age, where they take variations on the same tropes and apply them to a much more tightly plotted story with a clearly projected “end” that isn’t some ambiguous super-long-term goal.

Even a relatively long-running series like MHA has a very near-term end-goal that we literally KNOW will happen, because the whole series is framed as adult Deku telling the story of his path to becoming the #1 hero. And while I’m not a massive fan of MHA either, I’d much rather read/watch it over older Shonen like Naruto or Bleach because it’s at least clear that the author has most of the narrative planned out beforehand and isn’t just making the story up as he goes.

Last edited:

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Her circle of friends also use Japanese slang all the time, especially that one who calls him Paisan all the time. I wonder how they're going to sub that bit of dumb slang. Best portrayal of Japanese high school girls since this:

I'd say they'd just leave "Paisen" intact since most American anime fans at least understand "sempai" and it's the inverse but then again, due to the similarity to a certain Americanized Italian expression, people might think Nagatoro is saying "Hey, paisanos!" "It's the Super Mario Brothers Super Show!"

More AWS-8Q Than You

kiwifarms.net
I'd say they'd just leave "Paisen" intact since most American anime fans at least understand "sempai" and it's the reverse but then again, due to the similarity to a certain Americanized Italian expression, people might think Nagatoro is saying "Hey, paisanos!" "It's the Super Mario Brothers Super Show!"
God, if the notice they're going to bitch about appropriating Italian culture, aren't they? "Nagatoro's friend doesn't sound Italian." Can't wait for the cries of "sexualization" when she shows up in the club swimsuit or whatever.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
To be fair that’s not Mappa’s fault, that’s something you gotta take up with the manga.

To me, JJK is just a refinement of the Shonen formula for the modern age, where they take variations on the same tropes and apply them to a much more tightly plotted story with a clearly projected “end” that isn’t some ambiguous super-long-term goal.

Even a relatively long-running series like MHA has a very near-term end-goal that we literally KNOW will happen, because the whole series is framed as adult Deku telling the story of his path to becoming the #1 hero. And while I’m not a massive fan of MHA either, I’d much rather read/watch it over older Shonen like Naruto or Bleach because it’s at least clear that the author has most of the narrative planned out beforehand and isn’t just making the story up as he goes.
Honestly a lot of modern shonen is great for having clear projected ends rather than meandering for a vague goal. I talk about this manga a lot in this thread but Dr. Stone is also a good example of this as there is a clear end-goal and a clear final goal within the story (especially since the story takes inspiration from JRPG's in some aspects).

I am glad many writers in general have understood on where to end a story or make plans for one.

KokoroKoroki

When everyone's a degenerate, no one will be
kiwifarms.net
Slightly unrelated but it's genuinely great to see proper discussion here and it's reminded me of how shit discussion is on other social media, it's just a bunch of shit flinging, especially on Twitter.

On an actually related note I've been considering maybe re-watching Haganai because I remember really enjoying the humor the first time around, been a few years since then though so I wanna see how it holds up.

Last edited:

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Slightly unrelated but it's genuinely great to see proper discussion here and it's reminded me of how shit discussion is on other social media, it's just a bunch of shit flinging,especially on Twitter.

On an actually related note I've been considering maybe re-watching Haganai because I remember really enjoying the humor the first time around, been a few years since then though so I wanna see how it holds up.
I’ve generally noticed this among off-topic interest/hobby threads on the Farms. My theory is that
1. The people participating in a given thread are a niche of a niche (farmers who are interested in X) meaning that the conversation doesn’t move a mile a minute and you can easily keep up with a thread and reply to any discussions you find interesting without feeling like you’re digging up old shit
2. The Farms inherently self-selects against the kinds of people who make large platforms unbearable to use

Most of the vitriolic autists on the Farms (the kind who ruin things for everyone else) spend their time in the A&H slums, so the rest of us get to enjoy our time talking about our autistic hobbies with our fellow autists who are just here for a good time.

The sad thing is that this only works because we’re an off-topic thread on a forum largely seen as undesirable, because any independent platform that gains the reputation as “the only good place to discuss X” will very quickly STOP being that as it’s overrun by the same normies shitting up Reddit and Twitter. The only way for a platform to survive is to be unwelcoming to outsiders who refuse to integrate with the site culture.

Last edited:

admiral

Diet Nazi
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't wanna be a jerk and say that Dragon's Dogma and Dota: Dragon's blood are indistinguishable, because that's not true, but I will say that it's very weird that netflix produced within a year of one another two anime-esque video game adaptations beginning with the letter 'D' about muscular badass guys who turn into red dragons and go on a quest in a generic fantasy world with a warrior girl.

Even though they;re both 'anime inspired' and not real anime, I actually watched them both in Japanese, for different reasons. DD's english voice acting was so painful that I figured subs would be better, but with Dota I had to switch because I grew up watching Ben 10 and Legion of Superheroes, and I just can't take Yuri Lowenthal seriously in any other roles because his voice is so distinctive. Watching it this way actually made a really huge difference to the tone of the show for me, because the Japanese VA had a very deep, masculine voice and the character sounded a lot more mature. In English he sounded way younger, which really changed his character and not necessarily for the better.

KEKMUHLORD

kiwifarms.net

Oh, it is definitely not MAPPA's fault. Just an observation I had about Juju Kaisen and its pacing being off after episode 13. Mainly due to the fuck ton of side characters and their backgrounds being introduced so quickly.

And this was also happening during combat where they are also explaining their abilities. So it is definitely a manga issue.

And I'm honestly just not impressed by JJK at all. It just seems like an average generic shonen to me. So I just do not get the hype for it.

But maybe it gets better after this season.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Oh, it is definitely not MAPPA's fault. Just an observation I had about Juju Kaisen and its pacing being off after episode 13. Mainly due to the fuck ton of side characters and their backgrounds being introduced so quickly.

And this was also happening during combat where they are also explaining their abilities. So it is definitely a manga issue.

And I'm honestly just not impressed by JJK at all. It just seems like an average generic shonen to me. So I just do not get the hype for it.

But maybe it gets better after this season.
That’s kinda what I mean. JJK and MHA have a lot better technical execution than the Shonen of yesteryear, but they’re still just Shonen stuff. If you don’t like the tropes commonly associated with Shonen anime (which I personally don’t, and it seems like neither do you) then you’re not gonna get anything out of these shows.

Chainsawman is particularly notable because it’s pretty much as close to seinen as a Shonen manga can get. The only thing keeping it definitively Shonen is the lack of uncensored female nipples, despite ample opportunity to draw them in.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
DD's english voice acting was so painful that I figured subs would be better
Hm, maybe watching it subbed would've worked better for me 'cause I think the dub screwed up the Dragon's way of speaking (I know he speaks like that in the game, but it wasn't as cringey in it), but I still think it wouldn't have mattered in the long run 'cause the show was still bad. Even with the seven deadly sins theme in why it only has seven episodes, either make those episodes longer, or produce more episodes to pad out the journey, because that was too short, and the characters themselves just weren't all that interesting (some one-off characters kinda were, but still wasn't enough to care).

Also the animation was horrendous and quality literally dropped with each episode. To the point they just said "fuck it" and later animated children in 2D but everything else was CG, like oh my God why would you do that.

admiral

Diet Nazi
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hm, maybe watching it subbed would've worked better for me 'cause I think the dub screwed up the Dragon's way of speaking (I know he speaks like that in the game, but it wasn't as cringey in it), but I still think it wouldn't have mattered in the long run 'cause the show was still bad. Even with the seven deadly sins theme in why it only has seven episodes, either make those episodes longer, or produce more episodes to pad out the journey, because that was too short, and the characters themselves just weren't all that interesting (some one-off characters kinda were, but still wasn't enough to care).

Also the animation was horrendous and quality literally dropped with each episode. To the point they just said "fuck it" and later animated children in 2D but everything else was CG, like oh my God why would you do that.
The dragon was way better in Japanese. The ealry Modern English grammar was still fucked up in the subs, but it wasn't as grating. I mean if you really want to rewatch the show I'd suggest watching in Japanese, but it's only a minor impreovement and honestly the voice acting is the least of the show's problems.

I agree about the episodes, the pacing was just really fucked up and the seven deadly sins thing was dumb. I've seen shows that worked with only 7 or 8 episodes before, but they generally were more fast paced and well rounded. The female characters were all absolutely awful too. I get that the pawn thing is a game mechanic but it felt really weird and creepy in the show divorced from the context of the game.

Holy shit the animation. It was painful to watch. I know people joke about playstation graphics but those dragons looked worse than the models from the first Dragon Age. No texture at all. The only good animation was a few close ups and that bit where he was fighting the Hydra, but even the best parts were nothing special.

KaibaCorp ToeSucker

Seto Kaiba plz step on me I beg of you
kiwifarms.net
its MAPPA doing it right? I dont trust them after this Attack on Titan CGI fest to be honest, but as I understand it that production in particular had some horrid scheduling issues to push out the season to coincide with the manga ending (to boost sales...somehow?) so hopefully MAPPA really brings their A game like I know they can this time.
AOT is getting a winter anime slot as far as I know so the animation will probably be much better since MAPPA can get it done. Nothing can be worse CGI than Berserk 2016, but I know CGI can be done well if Dorohedoro is anything to go off and that is still a show I high key recommend even if i'm still watching it myself.

On another note, I heard from a friend Demon Slayer S2 is delayed because it took them a long time to release the movie into other countries? I don't know if it's true but has anyone heard something about that?

Scarlett Johansson

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Would y'all believe if I told you the original was about skateboards?
View attachment 2081347

Also, to answer Secret Asshole, I've been watching it, it's pretty kino to watch tbh.
Did a search on who the vas were. Daman Mills popped up.....

Thanks im skipping this lol. Though Robin from Anime America gave a first episode impressions vid of all recent winter anime that pretty much sums up why.

Edit: oh god of fucking COURSE David Wald added that line. He can be a competent VA when he wants to (see: Book of Bantorra) but....holy shit is he fem as fuck and insufferable irl. Look at interviews with him. He says he pushes hard for lgbtq representation but bruh....you live in fucking Texas.

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nagatoro herself was really dialed back from the original material, where she was just downright cruel.
It gets sort of ret-conned later on in the manga as well, because she was out and out awful in the original and was meant to be, but as it grew in popularity it got really dialed back and turned into "No, she actually likes senpai" instead of treating him like shit and meaning it. So it isn't surprising the anime would take the tone of the latter half of the manga.