Anime/Manga - Discuss Japanese cartoons and comics here; NO CULTURE WAR DOOMPOSTING!

HumanHive

Human Behavior is Exceptional Behavior
kiwifarms.net
Watching Durarara! for the first time.

So far, it has potential. Hasn’t gripped me like other series, but I’m willing to see where it goes.

ED song is an ear worm. In a good way.
It might help to remember that everyone in the cast is at least a bit nuts, including the milquetoast high school crew. Celty is probably the closest to stable, and even she's in love with Shinra somehow.
Yeah, DRRRRR is a bit of a trap trope-wise. Traditionally you think the everyman high schooler would be the protagonist, but he is NOT.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm wondering how much money you'd need to commission a single half-hour or hour-long OEL ONA and who you'd specifically need to get in touch with that could help with things like animation and story boards, etc.

I'd imagine it'd be ungodly expensive, but there's got to be some way to raise the funds for it.
Probably about as much as it took to make Under the Dog (which had some production issues that might've costed them more money to make than originally projected, but I dunno).
2021-04-17 13.38.50 www.kickstarter.com 130b95421503.png

And I would say that's being generous.

Syaoran Li

Punk Sucks
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Probably about as much as it took to make Under the Dog (which had some production issues that might've costed them more money to make than originally projected, but I dunno).
View attachment 2096134
And I would say that's being generous.

Fuck.

$878,000?

I was expecting something like $100,000 or $200,000 and I knew it'd be expensive as fuck, but damn.

Scarlett Johansson

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dont know what anime this is but funimation not even once.
Faggot David Wald added that line himself.
I guess funi just let's ppl change the script all willy nilly

What's a good idol anime on bluray? I saw that Love Live thing is oop. Zombieland saga looks good but think they'll eventually combine both seasons in one package?

The show looks interesting each girl from a different eras? Do they go in depth on their past?

I wish there was an idol show with like....actual mature voiced idols. Not like high pitched kawaii moe girls. Heard Kotono Mitsushi is in ZLS but she just....grunts and stuff?

Last edited:

Mysterious Girlfriend X

私の涎は甘い…
kiwifarms.net
The Mysterious Girlfriend X anime has that WataMote problem (or the Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens problem) of being only the first part of the story from a much-longer manga, which viewers who want to know more about what happens next will have to read since it never got beyond the first season (although all three of those series got OVAs with Kannagi being the only one of those three whose OVAs were included on the North American home video release).
I think a lot of anime based off of manga (most of them) is made with the assumption that the people watching are going to be readers of the manga, and will just pick up the manga if the anime doesn't get more than one season. That's why a lot of shows end with this feeling of finality without actually having an ending.

At least this isn't a big problem today, where you can find manga pretty easily. Back in the 90s, there were a lot of OVAs that I loved which I didn't even realize were based off of mangas until about 10-15 years later.

vern

kiwifarms.net
Speaking of isekai I have found myself reading a few from a weird sub genre recently
I think most people either call it shojo isekai or otome isekai, either way its the reason why some people have been referring to certain characters as a "villainess"
Most seem to be the same, girl dies and gets reincarnated as the rival character in her favorite game.
Don't know why I started reading some since there still isekai's at the end of the day, though if I had to describe the more decent(ish) ones is that feel a little more like fantasy period pieces rather then a JRPG setting.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
Seeing Funimation turn into "Woke 4Kids" is saddening but it also is a thing that makes me wonder something.

Something I mentioned before was that we need a new push for a proper revival of OEL manga and maybe even OEL anime ONA's if you can get the funding. The conditions might be right for a do-over.

It's been ten years since Tokyopop went under while the current big shots in the North American anime industry are woke pawns of Sony and the capeshit boom is starting to go bust while everyone is likely getting weary of woke, even if they're too afraid to say it out loud.

I think it's time. But you've got to learn from the mistakes of the past.

@I Love Beef mentioned before that an OEL manga or anime could work if you focused on what made anime popular specifically in the West during the Anime Boom of the late 90's and early-mid 2000's and went with that as opposed to the cargo cult approach that many creators took during the Anime Boom.

There's a reason why the closest thing to an actual success story on the "western-made anime" was Avatar: The Last Airbender (at least in America)

Honestly, I'd love to see someone make an OEL manga or ONA with the old "90's anime" art style (for lack of a better term) and if I were in charge, it'd probably be an edgy horror throwback to the glory days of the "OVA Boom" in the 80's and 90's.
I'm wondering how much money you'd need to commission a single half-hour or hour-long OEL ONA and who you'd specifically need to get in touch with that could help with things like animation and story boards, etc.

I'd imagine it'd be ungodly expensive, but there's got to be some way to raise the funds for it.
Man am I welling up nostalgic. I admit too, there's a lot of other inspiration that I saw from the time too. The rise of Flash allowing for people to make their own animations and games, video games, webcomics, and I still am inundated with memories and that spirit of the inspiration and influence anime had in the day that made everything feel... alive and thriving, somewhere, somehow. I think the most important thing is to just get creators to create and collaborate with a grassroots community and establish that anime is here to stay.

May have been said by a madman, but don't let your dreams be memes. I'm glad that I haven't let go of these things.

I'd also totally buy that horror OVA.

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
It's a cursed genre with only three exceptions.
The spider isekai is actually good. It's just that for some reason the animation in the later half of the most recent episode was really rushed and choppy. I wonder if they ran out of time and just had to outsource it.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Osamu Kobayashi, an anime director, passed away recently (at 57). The story is now in the top stories on Yahoo! JAPAN.
Damn, he fought kidney cancer for two years.

That Twitter message, though (think it was done through PR, but it could've been his actual last words):
「まだまだやりたい事、作りたい作品があったのが心残りです」として、「きっとまた生まれ変わって良い作品を作るぞ!アディオス」

"I regret that there were still things I wanted to do and works I wanted to make," he said. "I'm sure I'll be reborn again and make a good work! Adios"

Well, I'll watch Beck in his honor, then. Better late than never.

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
A lot of the CGI in 'So I'm a Spider' has been pretty questionable. Most of the monsters Kumoko fights look like early PS2 models out of a JRPG.

Shining Wit

kiwifarms.net
What's a good idol anime on bluray? I saw that Love Live thing is oop. Zombieland saga looks good but think they'll eventually combine both seasons in one package?

The show looks interesting each girl from a different eras? Do they go in depth on their past?

I wish there was an idol show with like....actual mature voiced idols. Not like high pitched kawaii moe girls. Heard Kotono Mitsushi is in ZLS but she just....grunts and stuff?
There's basically 2 kinds of plot in ZLS, zombie shenanigans or something from before they died. The 3 oldest, Yuugiri, Tae and Junko, dont have much done on their past yet but s2 is still new. Kotono voices Tae, who is the zombie thats still unawakened

There'll probably be some kind of box set but that'll be an age away

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Osamu Kobayashi, an anime director, passed away recently (at 57). The story is now in the top stories on Yahoo! JAPAN.
His work on shows like the TV adaptions of "Someday's Dreamers" and "Paradise Kiss" and "Beck" was marked by a very stylized but also down to earth urban design, lending a unique atmosphere to everyday settings. He also worked on video games like Grandia and the original Gungrave.

Just a real shame to hear.