Anime/Manga - Discuss Japanese cartoons and comics here; NO CULTURE WAR DOOMPOSTING!

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The way someone reacts to Made in Abyss is one of the most effective ways to find out whether or not they can appreciate good anime.

1620764766948.png

1620764795360.png

We should copyright this process.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Maybe I’m just super desensitized, but like, was the gore in Made in Abyss even THAT bad? Maybe the amount of people talking about how fucked up it was set my expectations a bit too high.
It's episode 10 with the poisoning that fucks you up. Up until then it's sorta calm but has some disturbing descriptions of how the abyss can kill you. In episode 10 you are shown full force that this is the danger level the heroes are playing in.
Plus there's the arc afterwards, I'm not brave enough to see the film.

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
kiwifarms.net
It's episode 10 with the poisoning that fucks you up. Up until then it's sorta calm but has some disturbing descriptions of how the abyss can kill you. In episode 10 you are shown full force that this is the danger level the heroes are playing in.
In real, she would most likely be ripped to shreds at that point. I guess the SJW's have such unrealistic standards. Drawings is seen as the real thing, and that's lunacy.

Mysterious Girlfriend X

私の涎は甘い…
kiwifarms.net
Maybe I’m just super desensitized, but like, was the gore in Made in Abyss even THAT bad? Maybe the amount of people talking about how fucked up it was set my expectations a bit too high.
It isn't really the intensity of the gore, but the impact it has from the way it effects the characters. Rico getting poisoned and suffering the Curse of the Abyss isn't super bloody, but watching her and Reg break down as they desperately try to deal with it has an incredible impact on the viewer, and the blood is a big part of that.

Likewise, what happened to Mitty isn't the goriest thing I've ever seen, but it was one of the most horrifying and heartbreaking things I've ever seen.

TrashCarousel

Visions of erotica deliver me!
kiwifarms.net
Honestly I'm just excited for Ilblu at this point. I can't wait to see the sixth layer's hollows in motion.
1620766523878.png

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
In real, she would most likely be ripped to shreds at that point. I guess the SJW's have such unrealistic standards. Drawings is seen as the real thing, and that's lunacy.
It helps having a robot buddy and being some unholy zombie abomination.

Also I never got the sense that the nudity in the anime was sexual. More like it emphasizes ideas like the how the abyss is a somewhat natural place and how utilitarian you need to be there.

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
kiwifarms.net
It isn't really the intensity of the gore, but the impact it has from the way it effects the characters. Rico getting poisoned and suffering the Curse of the Abyss isn't super bloody, but watching her and Reg break down as they desperately try to deal with it has an incredible impact on the viewer, and the blood is a big part of that.

Likewise, what happened to Mitty isn't the goriest thing I've ever seen, but it was one of the most horrifying and heartbreaking things I've ever seen.
That's what separate anime from Western cartoons. They really dig into the feelings of the viewer.
Kinda why Western horror sucks too.
I never got the sense that the nudity in the anime was sexual. More like it emphasizes ideas like the how the abyss is a somewhat natural place and how utilitarian you need to be there.
I'm not too ingrained in the Japanese culture nowadays, but (bathhouses (onsen) seems to be a natural thing. Where everybody baths nude.

Atatata

kiwifarms.net
The movie was fantastic, its upsetting it got corona'd out of theaters. Would've been quite the experience.

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
I don't really have an opinion on Made in Abyss outside of seeing a manga screencap someone posted on /a/ of the little robot boy naked with a tube going into his groin area and I decided it wouldn't be my thing.

Dunsparce

Out of Control
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So in terms of Record of Lodoss War, which is the better watch, the OVA or the TV series? I'm watching the OVA, but I feel like the OVA's been skipping through things. It just doesn't feel like a world that's uniquely its own, like outside of the opening prologue explaining the history of how Lodoss came to be, I don't see how it's any different from every other fantasy anime series of its time. Unless this is a case of "Seinfeld is unfunny" in that Lodoss set the standard for everything that came after it, but the OVA just feels rushed to me. Kinda bothers me tbh.

Record of Lodoss War itself was originally a tabletop game that took place in the 80's and had its campaign logs published in a Magazine. It was very different, for example Deedlit's player was a dude and there was no romance between her and Parn, in fact the only thing she wanted from him was his fancy magical sword so she could sell it for a lot of money, and would use everything from trickery to seduction to attempt to get it from him. Another is that Ghim's player simply ducked out of the game with little warning, which is why he dies in the novelizations of the story.

The setting, which was later made the officially setting of a Tabletop RPG called Swordworld (The original games used D&D 1E and other systems), was used in three major campaigns that were published in those Magazines:

Parn's Party: This is covered in the OVA series for the most part

Orson's Party: This is a bit odd, it was at least partially covered in both the OVA series and the Anime series, so there is some plot overlap between the second half of the OVA series and the first part of the Anime

Spark's Party: Covered in the second part of the anime

Honestly your best bet is to just watch both since both cover stuff the other doesn't, and both are really weird for sort-of covering Orson's campaign but not quite.

Atatata

kiwifarms.net
I don't really have an opinion on Made in Abyss outside of seeing a manga screencap someone posted on /a/ of the little robot boy naked with a tube going into his groin area and I decided it wouldn't be my thing.
Its actually pretty great, at least in my opinion. The author put a lot of thought into the world, characters, and designs, though to a certain extent its definitely because its his barely disguised fetish.

Even if it isn't your cup of tea, I'd recommend checking out the soundtrack, it has a lot of good tunes.

KingofNothing

Wahoo!
kiwifarms.net
I don’t follow One Piece, but I seem to recall reading that the guy behind it has the ending written and hidden away somewhere in his home so that he’d never forget it. Not sure if that’s the case still or ever was, but I wish more people had that kind of foresight.
Yeah, Oda has had the ending planned out for years back when this only supposed to be a 5 year run(lol). Some of the higher-ups also know in case he drops dead or something.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I'm still waiting for a different girl named "Komi"-(something) who has trouble communicating (because she often blurts out inappropriate things) to get properly animated (beyond a brief cameo in an OVA).

Komiyama-Stop_Flirting_c134.pngKotomi_Fetish_c143.png

Kotomi Komiyama from WataMote who would probably be the focus of at least the first episode or two of a potential second season of WataMote if they don't skip ahead to the Kyoto trip to get to Yuri Tamura, Masaki Yoshida, and Emiri Uchi.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Record of Lodoss War itself was originally a tabletop game that took place in the 80's and had its campaign logs published in a Magazine. It was very different, for example Deedlit's player was a dude and there was no romance between her and Parn, in fact the only thing she wanted from him was his fancy magical sword so she could sell it for a lot of money, and would use everything from trickery to seduction to attempt to get it from him. Another is that Ghim's player simply ducked out of the game with little warning, which is why he dies in the novelizations of the story.

The setting, which was later made the officially setting of a Tabletop RPG called Swordworld (The original games used D&D 1E and other systems), was used in three major campaigns that were published in those Magazines:

Parn's Party: This is covered in the OVA series for the most part

Orson's Party: This is a bit odd, it was at least partially covered in both the OVA series and the Anime series, so there is some plot overlap between the second half of the OVA series and the first part of the Anime

Spark's Party: Covered in the second part of the anime

Honestly your best bet is to just watch both since both cover stuff the other doesn't, and both are really weird for sort-of covering Orson's campaign but not quite.
I wrote it in the Castlevania thread, but Record had a Castlevania esque game that is very fun and gorgeously animated.

starborn427614

kiwifarms.net
Kind of backlogged on anime so I only just now got around to watching last week's ZLSR episode. Surprise surprise, it's another good one and Lily continues to be a great character.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, Oda has had the ending planned out for years back when this only supposed to be a 5 year run(lol). Some of the higher-ups also know in case he drops dead or something.
He’s basically already outlined the ending for everyone: the next arc will likely end with them finally finding the One Piece (est. ~5 years) before a bigass fuckin battle with the other pirates and the WG that will result in the fall of the World Government (another ~5 years). At this point, it’s just a matter of getting there.

The thing about One Piece is that the general themes and direction hasn’t actually changed all that much since the beginning - even the very early arcs start introducing ideas that become important later on. Narratively, One Piece is a pretty simple story - it’s not the kind of story where you’re going to see major twists and reveals that force the protagonists to question their worldview and alter their motivations.