Anime/Manga - Discuss Japanese cartoons and comics here; NO CULTURE WAR DOOMPOSTING!

Str8Bustah

The nose knows
kiwifarms.net
My dad was willing to watch the first few episodes of the original FMA along with me. And of course, we both watched all of the episodes of NGE as well. I also remember him saying that he did grow up watching Speed Racer on TV.
My dad din't grow up on anime but he did record a shitload of gundam wing episodes to black spines back when they were airing on toonami. He also sat down to watch blue sub #6 with me and my friend when we rented it from the local blockbuster.

the last thing he tried to recommend to me was the CG appleseed movie. I had to politely decline his offer, though.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
He still kills people, often people who are just corrupt officials rather than murderers themselves, and it doesn't make him any less of a hero in the game. Then you have the entirety of Beseria wherein Violet makes it no secret that she's literally eating her opponents, even right up to the end where she's meant to be more heroic. I think you're putting way too much thought into a protagonist killing one-dimensional enemies that the story deems to be the bad guys. Do you like... give up on a game if you decapitate your enemy as a finisher or something?
The game calls him out on it. Though the 360 game didn't really give a good resolution of whether it was correct or not. In general I don't think I remember a jrpg where you beat a human boss and he is actually dead the next cutscene, maybe dying at best. And jrpg's have you blow up the moon or some shit in attacks, so how much "fatal" an attack is doesn't really come into an effect.

They still have the armies of sentient races and their own natural predators that could swarm them in Kumoko, too. One of the former 'Heroes' was apparently able to gain enough power to attack Administrator D in another reality, so even if the non-reincarnated beings are generally much lower on the power scale they still have some tricks they can pull out. Again, though, I think this is like asking "Why don't the goblins in the final dungeon of Dragon Quest use their immense power to rule the world?"

Ultimately 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' is a nearly comedic iseki based in a very typical RPG-esque world. Wanting it to explore the morality of killing faceless bandits is verging on autistic. I mean... the show basically begins with Kumoko going "I can't eat my own kin! ...Actually, I'm pretty hungry, so never mind lol"
The simple reason is that we just ignore the discrepancies in games because we know it helps the gameplay. And it's hard to ignore Kumoko killing people when every time we see the human side the people are shown to be regular humans. It's a case where the writer can't decide the tone so it just flip flops between "I'm an npc with an history who'll help the hero party despite being hilariously underleveled" to "lol let's kill bandits for exp".
Also like I said before, this episode was just not funny.

Moguro Fukuzou

Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed
kiwifarms.net
It's fun to read about how different parents dealt with their weeb kids, mine were pretty hands off (probably more than they should have been) so the only real censor on what couldn't be watched was what my slightly older sibling felt wasn't okay. Very much a blind leading the blind situation that got us watching Mature shows way too early (EOE and darker than black as an example). We did watch some stuff with them (mostly our mom) like Gundam Seed or FMA but they never really got it, though thankfully they never gave the "Aren't you too old for this?" talk.

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
The game calls him out on it. Though the 360 game didn't really give a good resolution of whether it was correct or not. In general I don't think I remember a jrpg where you beat a human boss and he is actually dead the next cutscene, maybe dying at best. And jrpg's have you blow up the moon or some shit in attacks, so how much "fatal" an attack is doesn't really come into an effect.
Again, Violet literally eats her opponents (her arm absorbs them and nourishes her with the energy it gains). Then you also have stuff like Shadow Hearts where you'd accumulate malice from fights and collect the souls of the fallen enemies. There's also Suikoden that occasionally give you the choice to execute characters (i.e. Kwanda), not to mention the giant wars you take place in.

The simple reason is that we just ignore the discrepancies in games because we know it helps the gameplay. And it's hard to ignore Kumoko killing people when every time we see the human side the people are shown to be regular humans. It's a case where the writer can't decide the tone so it just flip flops between "I'm an npc with an history who'll help the hero party despite being hilariously underleveled" to "lol let's kill bandits for exp".
I just see it like any typical video game: named characters / NPCs = important and you should care about them; nameless bandits = fodder. If this were a more complex show that was trying to explore in-depth how an iseki world would actually work and what Shun's tax policy is I'd probably agree with you. For now its about a spider girl leveling-up and trying to find the tastiest food. For me, outside of the yet again boring human parts, I was fine with the episode.

That said, later on, once Kumoko joins up with the demons I think this line of thinking becomes far more appropriate as she starts to become the cause of death for, well... not just faceless bandits and assassins trying to kill families and kidnap children. The manga hasn't gotten that far yet, so I'm curious to see how they'll treat Kumoko dealing with that sort of stuff. If she continues her fairly non-nonchalant "don't care, got EXP" stuff then it'll definitely be a problem. For now, though, I have no problem with her killing nameless bandits and assassins while giving it no thought.

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
kiwifarms.net

The only reason it could be considered "bad", is the fact the people being killed weren't black.
This pacifist bs is what made The Promised Neverland absolutely shit. Yea, not all monsters are bad. There is still too many bad guys to warrant keeping them alive though.
True, it was okay. Standard MMORPG stuff. What makes it funny, is it triggers SJW's and it makes me think "bad" animes like Redo of Healer is made to just spite them.
It's fun to read about how different parents dealt with their weeb kids, mine were pretty hands off (probably more than they should have been) so the only real censor on what couldn't be watched was what my slightly older sibling felt wasn't okay. Very much a blind leading the blind situation that got us watching Mature shows way too early (EOE and darker than black as an example). We did watch some stuff with them (mostly our mom) like Gundam Seed or FMA but they never really got it, though thankfully they never gave the "Aren't you too old for this?" talk.
Mine were hands off too, mostly because I like to powerlvl here rather than them. Anyway, did watch the whole walkthrough of the DRAMAtical Murder vn on youtube, before they had to censor it all. Fucking loved it, and the Noiz bad ending. Where Aoba is tortured eternally. I actually find it kind of beautiful. This was when I was under 18, so woops.
Got the "Too old for this"-talk when I bought my first Rilakkuma thought
41WRGChaU2L._AC_.jpg

KingofNothing

Wahoo!
kiwifarms.net
I'll just point out that there is an actual story reason for why Kumoko enjoys a good killing that may be covered in the anime. Don't know how far the anime is going to go and I forget when they bring it up in the LN but it might be by the final episode. Not a huge reveal, but interesting. The Pride title explicitly makes you more likely to view people as walking xp, so getting it is not recommended by people who actually know what it does

All the anime I watched growing up was either on Cartoon Network or Fox kids and the like so I never got any hassle for what I saw since they were deemed kid friendly by default.

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
kiwifarms.net
I'll just point out that there is an actual story reason for why Kumoko enjoys a good killing that may be covered in the anime. Don't know how far the anime is going to go and I forget when they bring it up in the LN but it might be by the final episode. Not a huge reveal, but interesting. The Pride title explicitly makes you more likely to view people as walking xp, so getting it is not recommended by people who actually know what it does
Would make sense that she was called Spooky and in general bullied. Dark bitches tends to turn yandere.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

lol what is even this line of thought

Have you watched other 'villain' anime? In 'Overlord' there are funny moments, but its pretty fucking clear that becoming a monster basically strips him of human morality. Its still there, but he feels little to no attachment to people in the 'big picture'. In terms of small scale, he does care about people (he even acknowledges he's hypocritical when he brutally murders the assassin who killed the young girl of the party he was with and wants to get vengeance on).

Even in 'That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime', Rimaru just fucking brutally murks an ENTIRE human army. Like just fucking kills all of them, brutally. I'm sure there were some conscripted guys who had a wife and a family and were just forced and conscripted, he just did not give a FUCK. He basically used them as human sacrifices and devoured their souls to become a fucking slime demon lord.

There's a running theme in these anime about detachment to your humanity, making you a lot less loyal to your given race. Not to mention these bandits are trying to kidnap a child, who is a reincarnated member of her class, so I think she's a teensy tiny bit more loyal to her than some random bandits and elves.

By the by, you know she's eaten people before, right? She's tied people up in her webs and munched on them? Sniping them with evil eye is a lot better than what she was doing before.

Atatata

kiwifarms.net
Back Arrow, Shadow House, and Vivy have all had pretty fun episodes this week. Shadow House really nailed the atmosphere, though I'm still unsure about how it'll be as an adaption when its all over.

Both Back Arrow and Vivy took me by surprise, didn't expect either episode to end that way.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
You guys are lucky. My parents are the type of boomers who never understood anime and never will, if I ever watched it around them they'd either mock it or ask stupid questions.
ask them if they think anything drawn is kids shit, and then watch felidae as a feelgood disney movie afterwards.

I'd probably wonder if I woke up in a parallel universe if I were to ever catch my mom watching an anime by herself (though I think technically she did with the Les Mis anime?).
inb4 she get's hooked on full on shoujo before she learns about yaoi.

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, in the manga she often wonders if the taboo skills and her mental connection to the mother spider has altered how she thinks and acts, though I can't remember if the anime touches on this much. Also, from what I've read about the light novel that's far, far ahead of everything else, there's also the matter of her true origin.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I like the new Vivy much more than the previous one, she has a more fun personality. Also Sentouin, Hakenshimasu! had an actually decent episode.

Again, Violet literally eats her opponents (her arm absorbs them and nourishes her with the energy it gains). Then you also have stuff like Shadow Hearts where you'd accumulate malice from fights and collect the souls of the fallen enemies. There's also Suikoden that occasionally give you the choice to execute characters (i.e. Kwanda), not to mention the giant wars you take place in.

I just see it like any typical video game: named characters / NPCs = important and you should care about them; nameless bandits = fodder. If this were a more complex show that was trying to explore in-depth how an iseki world would actually work and what Shun's tax policy is I'd probably agree with you. For now its about a spider girl leveling-up and trying to find the tastiest food. For me, outside of the yet again boring human parts, I was fine with the episode.

That said, later on, once Kumoko joins up with the demons I think this line of thinking becomes far more appropriate as she starts to become the cause of death for, well... not just faceless bandits and assassins trying to kill families and kidnap children. The manga hasn't gotten that far yet, so I'm curious to see how they'll treat Kumoko dealing with that sort of stuff. If she continues her fairly non-nonchalant "don't care, got EXP" stuff then it'll definitely be a problem. For now, though, I have no problem with her killing nameless bandits and assassins while giving it no thought.
I guess I'm just weirdly autistic about this thing happening in shows. Probably not the only thing I overthink about. Though I need to say that in Suikoden executing a character is never a smart decision (at least from what I remember).

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Around localizers, never relax.

E1j6hVuWQAU48MY.jpg

It's bad enough that they do shoehorn in memes and heckin' Redditspeak, etc. in the first place, but the way they smugly brag about it is crazy.

"Yeah that's right, I DID clog up the script with memes and I'll do it again! What are you gonna do about it, you stupid chuds?"

"Maybe some people just think it's really stupid to shovel in cringey memespeak and gags into scripts, when they will come off as dated very soon."

"Whatever, pissbaby losers!"

In other lines of work this kind of petulant behavior would get you fired immediately, yet for some reason localizers for Japanese media have been getting away with this for the past five years or so and continue to do so. And what's worse is that they're applauded for it.