Anime News Network (ANN), Christopher Macdonald & Co. - "Unbiased" Reporting on All Things Anime Related By Snobbish Quebec-Based Web Company

Atomsk

Pirate King
kiwifarms.net
I've hated this website since I was like 14 and they began writing shitty episode and game reviews but they've still remained my homepage all this time because I don't know a more credible place to get my news on anime.
Does anybody know a better place for getting anime news without the shit political commentary and shit takes on anime?
I really hate continuing my support of this website through constantly using it, even if it's only for news.

Random Internet Person

Panzer Vor, motherfuckers!
kiwifarms.net
I've hated this website since I was like 14 and they began writing shitty episode and game reviews but they've still remained my homepage all this time because I don't know a more credible place to get my news on anime.
Does anybody know a better place for getting anime news without the shit political commentary and shit takes on anime?
I really hate continuing my support of this website through constantly using it, even if it's only for news.
I think someone here said the /a/ page on 4Chan is a pretty good place. As for “established” places in the US, ANN is the best we got, and I’m not sure there’s a second place.

albertbrown26

kiwifarms.net
Sankaku Complex can be a good alternative.
If you live in the U.S., you could also go to Otaku USA. They even offer a good, cheap magazine subscription for new readers/subscribers.

Atomsk

Pirate King
kiwifarms.net
Sankaku Complex can be a good alternative.
If you live in the U.S., you could also go to Otaku USA. They even offer a good, cheap magazine subscription for new readers/subscribers.
I'll check those out.
I find it weird that 1 website has a monopoly on anime news, why wouldn't more competitors step up? I mean I know this isn't desirable but why wouldn't anime streaming services also provide news? It'd be a good business decision since the news could get people hyped for things to come that would be on their services. Again, not saying I want that to happen but it's kind of weird that it doesn't and AnimeNewsNetwork goes unchallenged in it's monopoly when it's possible to not let it have one.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I actually saw one of their magazines on the rack at a Walmart.
I didn't do a deep dive into them, though.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
When ANN first launched, it was a decent site run by decent people, right? How and when did it fall so hard? I'm really just disappointed in all of this because I liked Justin's Buried Garbage/Treasure articles, and I loved hearing him talk about his experiences at Central Park Media and how it was hell and it made him start smoking/drinking. CPM I'm sure was both a simultaneously horrible and exciting place to work at, they had themselves quite the discography and some laughably bad dubs that I wouldn't trade for the world. And John O'Donnell sounds like a character, he must've been quite the person to interact with.

But with that said, I do believe Justin is a legit fan of anime--I think much of the staff are to a degree, but he's different in that he has actual experience in the industry (albeit limited to just the English department, but it's something). But the issue is he's become such a faggot about it and his virtue-signaling that I just have to wonder why he chose to live a life of contradictions and confusion. We're seeing time and time again that you cannot be an anime fan and be an SJW at the same time, it's oil on water. I get it that it's hard to give up a passion you spent hundreds of hours and dollars on, but practice what you fucking preach, you goddamned hypocrites.
The turning point for me was when Hope trooned out, I was still a follower of the site and the podcast in 2015, but dropped off hard in 2016 when that happened, the whole thing with her and Zac just weirded me out too much.

But on top of that the podcast just felt tired and boring and all the good columns like Buried Treasure, House of a 1000 Manga and Tales From The Industry were finished.

I actually saw one of their magazines on the rack at a Walmart.
I didn't do a deep dive into them, though.
I'm a reader of the Otaku USA magazine, it's pretty good.

albertbrown26

kiwifarms.net
Very questionable. Sankaku Complex is basically OneAngryGamer (but more weeb themed) if OAG was self-aware about how trashy it is to obsess over loli and anime tiddy games/hentai/fanservice anime. It's still better journalism than ANN though.
Thing is, they actually have top 10 lists and polls that are directly otaku and anime related. Even with all the questionable content regarding loli and half-naked waifus in VNs, it can largely be a good source for learning about anime from, say the 70’s to the 90’s.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Thing is, they actually have top 10 lists and polls that are directly otaku and anime related. Even with all the questionable content regarding loli and half-naked waifus in VNs, it can largely be a good source for learning about anime from, say the 70’s to the 90’s.
I don't think I've ever seen articles there discussing 70s-90s anime (except very well known series like Gundam, Sailor Moon, etc.). Their Top 10 lists are decent I guess, they reprint a bunch of polls from Japan about currently airing anime which I guess is a good metric. But the majority of content there is just endless screenshots of fanservice from currently airing shows, promoting hentai games and actual hentai, pictures of Japanese costhots, and railing against SJWs and censorship. And not just censorship/SJW shit that has anything to do with Japan or weeb shit either, like right now on the home page there's an article about how SJWs made Land of Lakes butter take the Indian off their packages.

OneHandClapping

Equal Right Hooks
kiwifarms.net

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

xyz741

kiwifarms.net
I'll check those out.
I mean I know this isn't desirable but why wouldn't anime streaming services also provide news? It'd be a good business decision since the news could get people hyped for things to come that would be on their services.
CrunchyRoll does this. It's debatable both how well they do it and how much they cover things they don't license, but they do have their own "news" service. That said, I know some of the ANN crew was involved with their "Anime Awards" so it's probably not better. Nobody else bothers going into the space because there's no money in it. I'm honestly surprised if it still lets their team pay rent. If you join a facebook group or something for a particularly active convention/fan group you'll probably get all the relevant news that ANN posts.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Random Internet Person

Panzer Vor, motherfuckers!
kiwifarms.net
CrunchyRoll does this. It's debatable both how well they do it and how much they cover things they don't license, but they do have their own "news" service. That said, I know some of the ANN crew was involved with their "Anime Awards" so it's probably not better. Nobody else bothers going into the space because there's no money in it. I'm honestly surprised if it still lets their team pay rent. If you join a facebook group or something for a particularly active convention/fan group you'll probably get all the relevant news that ANN posts.
Again, the anime circle in America is tiny, and the respected brands is probably more minuscule, and most likely always has been.

theworstkindofeurofag

kiwifarms.net
ZAC BERTSCHY IS DEAD?!
I just heard about this on twitter.

No idea why this hits so hard. I think his treatment of Vic during his interview with him was shitty.

But in the end he was just some sad faggot with no spine and no self esteem. Which is also why he dated Hope. And she's also most likely the reason he offed himself.

He wasn't someone I wanted to see dead (unlike the pedo brother of that one VA). RIP I guess.

And remember guys, don't ever date troons.