Anthem - EA’s next PR disaster after BF 5

Jub-Jub

kiwifarms.net
I saw this image and wanted to post it, but I think it might be shopped. The "39.-" looks kind of off, there's strange artifacts around it and when you open the shop's internet presence, it says the game is 69 Euro... if this turns out to be true, though... holy fuck.
Hmmm, I would hope i haven't been bamboozled, but it's possible. I would think the bargain bin placement lends credence to the picture, but those bins opposite are extremely shallow so it wouldn't be hard to fake... I'll edit my post to reflect this.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hmmm, I would hope i haven't been bamboozled, but it's possible. I would think the bargain bin placement lends credence to the picture, but those bins opposite are extremely shallow so it wouldn't be hard to fake... I'll edit my post to reflect this.
Origin of the image seems to be this post:
link

There's (for lack of a better word) reputable gaming news sites in Germany that mention this too.
So, it seems like this isn't a fake after all.

Turbo Story.png

Raging Capybara

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Someone is really happy that gggmanlives's video is removed (Archive)
View attachment 673895
Archiving his twitter account revealed that his account was archived months ago, and searching his account in archive.fo revealed that he has a really hard rageboner against Totalbiscuit
hey guys! The xbox version of this game runs so smoothly. unlike you shitty PC, my powerful xbox one x master 360 plus special edition S featuring dante from devil may cry runs this game at 144 frames per second in 8k!

xboxtrashframerate.jpg

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I actually watched the original Gggmanlives review and he was critical, but I wouldn't call it overtly negative. At least compared to reviews done by the other dozen reviewers I've listened to (they make for excellent background noise while working), Ggg's video was pretty tame.Hell, even goddamn Dreamcast Guy sounded more vitriolic and that guy typically is about as threatening as a Care Bear wielding a nerf bat.

All the same, I'm not surprised EA would try and pull his review. The EA "Game Changers" program from day one sounded like nothing but a giant EA & Bioware fantard circlejerk.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
This is reportedly from a German store in which new releases go for 60 euros.
EDIT: This photo may be shopped and given a faked bargain bin look. See posts below.
View attachment 674507

Honestly despite the constant Bioware nostalgia wanking, if you didn't grow up with the games it'll probably be hard to get into now and i say this as someone who still owns the original BG CD's and manuals. Most of Bioware's games have extremely dated systems compared to modern gaming, which makes sense since BG is 2 decades old at this point. Bioware has been creatively bankrupt for almost a decade now and people need to let it go.

Khalid and Jarheria, Minsc and Dynaheir, Quayle and Aerie (+ Your kid if you romance her), Sarevok kills your foster father to you and your sister, even Xzar and Montoran. There are so many family themes i never even thought about as a kid.

I quit my most recent play through of BG during siege of dragonspear release. It bugged my game during a quest in which the main character dies (game over) if it's not completed in a certain timeframe. The person who curses your character kept respawning and cursing the character with each new fog of war.

All so i could learn about a poor opressed tranny in a world with sex-change magic. Fuck you Beamdog.
Also Baldur's Gate is mostly about the same writing quality as their current stuff. It's just that was really good in the late 90's-early 2000's instead of crappy and clichéd like it is in CURRENT YEAR.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also Baldur's Gate is mostly about the same writing quality as their current stuff. It's just that was really good in the late 90's-early 2000's instead of crappy and clichéd like it is in CURRENT YEAR.
I remember all of the characters from Baldur's Gate to this day. There isn't a single character in Anthem that you remember the name of

Smug Chuckler

Youtube Intellectual
kiwifarms.net
This is reportedly from a German store in which new releases go for 60 euros.
EDIT: This photo may be shopped and given a faked bargain bin look. See posts below.
View attachment 674507

Honestly despite the constant Bioware nostalgia wanking, if you didn't grow up with the games it'll probably be hard to get into now and i say this as someone who still owns the original BG CD's and manuals. Most of Bioware's games have extremely dated systems compared to modern gaming, which makes sense since BG is 2 decades old at this point. Bioware has been creatively bankrupt for almost a decade now and people need to let it go.

Khalid and Jarheria, Minsc and Dynaheir, Quayle and Aerie (+ Your kid if you romance her), Sarevok kills your foster father to you and your sister, even Xzar and Montoran. There are so many family themes i never even thought about as a kid.

I quit my most recent play through of BG during siege of dragonspear release. It bugged my game during a quest in which the main character dies (game over) if it's not completed in a certain timeframe. The person who curses your character kept respawning and cursing the character with each new fog of war.

All so i could learn about a poor opressed tranny in a world with sex-change magic. Fuck you Beamdog.

online catalog has at 70ish

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Won't be the first time that a store price is different then the listed price.
Especially since it's indidivual stores and in both known cases it's only the PS4 version.
Guess a shitton of people either canceled their preorder or there were a shitton of preorders in many different stores, so whoever is in charge of distributing stuff ordered an extra-bunch of games, expecting them to sell like hot cakes.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Anthem ain't doing so hot at retail
According to Ahmad, ANTHEM only managed to sell around ten percent of the copies that the original Destiny did back when it launched in 2014. Perhaps even more damning, Mass Effect: Andromeda'sfirst week sales were more than double that of ANTHEM. Neither example paints a particularly pretty picture.
According to Wikipedia (not sure why that article doesn't include numbers) Destiny made $325 million in it's first week. Some reports (based on data from a lawsuit) suggest that Destiny in fact made $547.6 million in it's first month. Doing reverse math that means Destiny sold (approximately) 9,100,000 copies in it's first month of release.

Comparing Destiny's worldwide numbers against the UK trend for Anthem does not paint a pretty picture.

10% of 9,100,000 copies is 910,000 copies, which is a remarkably bad start for a game trying to get to 6,000,000 copies sold before 3/31.

According to Wikipedia, Destiny sold nearly 90% of it's copies for it's first month in the first five days on release. Additionally, they wound up with nearly 20,000,000 players which doesn't exactly equate to 20,000,000 copies sold (resales, rentals, piracy, etc) but it took them years to get there. Nearly 50% of all copies sold were sold within the first month.

If Anthem is on a similar trajectory, they aren't on track to get to 6,000,000 copies sold by 3/31, they are on track to get ~1,200,000 copies. They are not on track to get to 6,000,000 copies in their lifetime, and that's even assuming that Anthem gets a three year life of support like Destiny did (it won't). At this rate, they'll be lucky to break 2,000,000 unless something drastic happens.

10% of $547.6 million is $54.6 million, which is a shockingly low number. There isn't a lot of data around Anthem's production costs, but it's been allegedly to have been in development for at least 3 years plus a huge marketing budget - it's unclear how much money it would need to be "successful" but I'd wager that it's a lot more than $54 million.

Obviously the UK could be an outlier and sales reporting is pretty bad overall, but even if EA is telling the truth and half of the sales are digital (and unreleased, untracked) it still puts them in an incredibly poor place. But, if American sales even resemble what the UK trends look like, it looks like Anthem might be dead on arrival.

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
I played during the pre-launch week, and the TL;DR in my opinion is that the game's half-finished. It clearly needed at least two-three more months in development. There's no polish whatsoever. Lighting effects from the E3 demos are missing. Loot drops with useless attributes, like items for colossus suits that buff pistols, which the colossus can't equip. Enemy AI is inclined to just lock up and stare at you while you shoot them. Load times are still bad even after they improved it with a patch. Joining other peoples' missions is buggy and likely to drop you in an empty session.

The bones of a good game are there, but that's all they shipped, the bones. And because they were stupid and rammed this out the door in a half-broken state, it's never going to do as well as it would've if they'd held off until it got polished.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I played during the pre-launch week, and the TL;DR in my opinion is that the game's half-finished. It clearly needed at least two-three more months in development. There's no polish whatsoever. Lighting effects from the E3 demos are missing. Loot drops with useless attributes, like items for colossus suits that buff pistols, which the colossus can't equip. Enemy AI is inclined to just lock up and stare at you while you shoot them. Load times are still bad even after they improved it with a patch. Joining other peoples' missions is buggy and likely to drop you in an empty session.

The bones of a good game are there, but that's all they shipped, the bones. And because they were stupid and rammed this out the door in a half-broken state, it's never going to do as well as it would've if they'd held off until it got polished.
It's pretty clear the game was designed from the start to ship very bare bones and add stuff later to make people value the product. You can also see it with how there's only a single map in the game which feels weird since this was the same developer that made Mass Effect but they most likely did this because they figured "we'll just add more later". Time will tell if that happens

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Obviously the UK could be an outlier and sales reporting is pretty bad overall, but even if EA is telling the truth and half of the sales are digital (and unreleased, untracked) it still puts them in an incredibly poor place. But, if American sales even resemble what the UK trends look like, it looks like Anthem might be dead on arrival.
The UK may be a slight outlier as it's still supposedly sitting at #1 for the week ending 23/2. I suspect it's poor sales by EA standards and they've long been known to inflate sales figures to stupid, unsustainable levels to kill off or scale back studios that are costing them money or outliving their usefulness.

Visceral got the chop after their built-dirt-cheap-using shit EA's owned for a decade engine Dead Space 3 failed to sell more than the previous two titles put together ever managed. With DS1 managing 2 million copies, and DS2 pushing to 4 million. DS3 was expected to sell 5-6 million within its first year of sales.

All three games had wafer thin budgets in this day and age.

Tags
None