Anthem - EA’s next PR disaster after BF 5

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Won't be the first time that a store price is different then the listed price.
Especially since it's indidivual stores and in both known cases it's only the PS4 version.
Guess a shitton of people either canceled their preorder or there were a shitton of preorders in many different stores, so whoever is in charge of distributing stuff ordered an extra-bunch of games, expecting them to sell like hot cakes.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Anthem ain't doing so hot at retail
According to Ahmad, ANTHEM only managed to sell around ten percent of the copies that the original Destiny did back when it launched in 2014. Perhaps even more damning, Mass Effect: Andromeda'sfirst week sales were more than double that of ANTHEM. Neither example paints a particularly pretty picture.
According to Wikipedia (not sure why that article doesn't include numbers) Destiny made $325 million in it's first week. Some reports (based on data from a lawsuit) suggest that Destiny in fact made $547.6 million in it's first month. Doing reverse math that means Destiny sold (approximately) 9,100,000 copies in it's first month of release.

Comparing Destiny's worldwide numbers against the UK trend for Anthem does not paint a pretty picture.

10% of 9,100,000 copies is 910,000 copies, which is a remarkably bad start for a game trying to get to 6,000,000 copies sold before 3/31.

According to Wikipedia, Destiny sold nearly 90% of it's copies for it's first month in the first five days on release. Additionally, they wound up with nearly 20,000,000 players which doesn't exactly equate to 20,000,000 copies sold (resales, rentals, piracy, etc) but it took them years to get there. Nearly 50% of all copies sold were sold within the first month.

If Anthem is on a similar trajectory, they aren't on track to get to 6,000,000 copies sold by 3/31, they are on track to get ~1,200,000 copies. They are not on track to get to 6,000,000 copies in their lifetime, and that's even assuming that Anthem gets a three year life of support like Destiny did (it won't). At this rate, they'll be lucky to break 2,000,000 unless something drastic happens.

10% of $547.6 million is $54.6 million, which is a shockingly low number. There isn't a lot of data around Anthem's production costs, but it's been allegedly to have been in development for at least 3 years plus a huge marketing budget - it's unclear how much money it would need to be "successful" but I'd wager that it's a lot more than $54 million.

Obviously the UK could be an outlier and sales reporting is pretty bad overall, but even if EA is telling the truth and half of the sales are digital (and unreleased, untracked) it still puts them in an incredibly poor place. But, if American sales even resemble what the UK trends look like, it looks like Anthem might be dead on arrival.

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
I played during the pre-launch week, and the TL;DR in my opinion is that the game's half-finished. It clearly needed at least two-three more months in development. There's no polish whatsoever. Lighting effects from the E3 demos are missing. Loot drops with useless attributes, like items for colossus suits that buff pistols, which the colossus can't equip. Enemy AI is inclined to just lock up and stare at you while you shoot them. Load times are still bad even after they improved it with a patch. Joining other peoples' missions is buggy and likely to drop you in an empty session.

The bones of a good game are there, but that's all they shipped, the bones. And because they were stupid and rammed this out the door in a half-broken state, it's never going to do as well as it would've if they'd held off until it got polished.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
I played during the pre-launch week, and the TL;DR in my opinion is that the game's half-finished. It clearly needed at least two-three more months in development. There's no polish whatsoever. Lighting effects from the E3 demos are missing. Loot drops with useless attributes, like items for colossus suits that buff pistols, which the colossus can't equip. Enemy AI is inclined to just lock up and stare at you while you shoot them. Load times are still bad even after they improved it with a patch. Joining other peoples' missions is buggy and likely to drop you in an empty session.

The bones of a good game are there, but that's all they shipped, the bones. And because they were stupid and rammed this out the door in a half-broken state, it's never going to do as well as it would've if they'd held off until it got polished.
It's pretty clear the game was designed from the start to ship very bare bones and add stuff later to make people value the product. You can also see it with how there's only a single map in the game which feels weird since this was the same developer that made Mass Effect but they most likely did this because they figured "we'll just add more later". Time will tell if that happens

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Obviously the UK could be an outlier and sales reporting is pretty bad overall, but even if EA is telling the truth and half of the sales are digital (and unreleased, untracked) it still puts them in an incredibly poor place. But, if American sales even resemble what the UK trends look like, it looks like Anthem might be dead on arrival.
The UK may be a slight outlier as it's still supposedly sitting at #1 for the week ending 23/2. I suspect it's poor sales by EA standards and they've long been known to inflate sales figures to stupid, unsustainable levels to kill off or scale back studios that are costing them money or outliving their usefulness.

Visceral got the chop after their built-dirt-cheap-using shit EA's owned for a decade engine Dead Space 3 failed to sell more than the previous two titles put together ever managed. With DS1 managing 2 million copies, and DS2 pushing to 4 million. DS3 was expected to sell 5-6 million within its first year of sales.

All three games had wafer thin budgets in this day and age.

Catgirl IRL

kiwifarms.net
There is currently a bug where the game removes your dungeons from matchmaking and completely depopulates the freeplay area, even after multiple restarts. No enemies, no resource nodes, nothing.

The subreddit is in uproar about this, yet there are diehards playing it down or saying that bugs should be expected.

Gods, common sense tells me to insub from the reddit but this is a glorious shit pile.

Pargon

Internet Segregationist
kiwifarms.net
I unabashedly love most of Bioware's library. I was late to the game for BG but I adore it just as much as DA: Origins and ME. Fuck, I'll even die on the "DA2 is good if flawed" hill. Most of the social justice spergery that started cropping up in Inquisition and then Andromeda didn't bother me as much as other people but that's subjective shit and I can certainly see how it'd turn people off writ large.

(Though the deadname have-I-mentioned-I-was-a-tranny shit in ME:A was singlehandedly responsible for ending a play session for me. Fuck I cringed so hard I pulled something.)

All that to say, though: when you repeatedly put out a shit product that you spend six figures on polishing just for marketing purposes, you deserve to go under. I recognize that the waters are muddied in Bioware's case because they're owned by a company with a long history of fucking with established IPs to expand the userbase as widely as possible, and that just scratches the surface of EA's scummy practices. We probably won't know for months if ever how much responsibility lies with EA meddling versus Bioware ineptitude short of picking names out of the credits to point at, and a company with a longevity so akin to a cockroach's as EA isn't going anywhere soon. I don't think Bioware or any developer could survive a one-two punch of consecutive, AAA launch failures. It'll still be bitter to watch them get swallowed up and digested nine-to-twelve months from now. I hope the people there with legitimate talent wind up somewhere better and that EA's only able to retain the dregs for fear of diversity lawsuits. It's all they deserve.

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I believe it. Not only did Bioware/EA do the same shit with ME3 multiplayer because players found a million and a half methods to grind endgame items that made the lootboxes irrelevant, they infamously spent most of its lifespan fighting a futile arms race against min-maxers instead of improving the game. Their motives are so shamelessly transparent.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino