Any audiophiles here? - Only marginally more socially acceptable than pedophillia!

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Mal0

Breached containment just to shitpost.
Forum Staff
🐕‍🦺 Animal Control 🐕‍🦺
💬 Off-Topic Mod 💬
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Despite being into headphones for a few years, I am still a massive noob since I hardly talk to people about it or interact with the audiophile community. My daily driver is a simple one, a FX-Audio DAC/AMP combo that I'm running through optical to my PC, though I plan to upgrade when I have a set of headphones that have an impudence rating higher than what my DAC can efficiently power. I have a set of SR-80e's I picked up with the DAC, a set of Sennheiser 600's (because a friend sold them to me for 85 sheckles), and a set of DT 990 Pro's I bought a few months ago. Combined with Dolby Atmos, I have a decent budget setup for anything from FLAC listening to audio mixing to watching MATI streams.

Eventually I am looking at getting a set of planar magnetic headphones, since the soundstage I've experienced listening to a set of Hifiman HE-560's was crazy. But that is probably something I'd never buy unless I can score a set used for dirt cheap. Maybe I'd get a cheaper set of Hifimans.

What headphones do the Kiwis use? Speaker setups? General music listening setups?

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I currently run my PC sound out to my AKG K712 cans with a Schiit Bifrost/Asgard stack. Does that count?

Ita Mori

⚜Party With Crooks⚜
kiwifarms.net
What headphones do the Kiwis use?
IEMS: FiiO FH5. Paired with a FiiO K5 Pro Amp/DAC. Used for PC listening and late-night gaming when I'd wear glasses to mitigate eye fatigue.
Closed-back: Sony MDR7506; Used mostly for gaming, and Meze 99 Classics, used for FLAC listening during the day. Paired with a topping A90/D90.
Open-back: It's audiophile heresy but I just could just never get into them. Sue me.

Speaker setups?
My landlord would shoot me.

Letora

Monoamine Oxidase A
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't do open-back because I like my loud/obnoxious music to remain private to me.

Headphones (Wireless): Sennheiser RS 175 RF Wireless Headphone System
Headphones (Wired): Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm Limited Edition Professional Studio Headphones.
"MP3 Player": When I'm not on my PC, I use a Sony Xperia 1 III smartphone, which has a headphone jack, MicroSD slot, and a built-in Hi-Fi DAC.
Headset for PC Gaming/Chat: I normally use my wireless headphones in combination with my Blue Yeti USB Mic, but if I need a headset, I have a wireless Steelseries Arctis 7.
Speakers: Again, I like privacy and don't use my speakers except rarely for Youtube videos on my PC when I don't want to wear headphones. I don't listen to music through them. I have a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers for my PC and my smart TV.

I usually go for the wireless Sennheisers on my PC for convenience. They're very high quality (very impressive for wireless), can keep the audio going all the way across the house through walls, but the wired Beyerdynamics are better for sound quality. The Sennheiser's hurt my head sometimes which sucks.

I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones, which I think are still considered the best "bang for your buck" right now, but they hurt my ears so terribly, and nothing I did helped, so I stopped using them. They sit in a box now.

Last edited:

Mal0

Breached containment just to shitpost.
Forum Staff
🐕‍🦺 Animal Control 🐕‍🦺
💬 Off-Topic Mod 💬
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Good lord no, but I grew up with one. I pity your life of dissatisfied searching, and everyone who has to live with you.
it's my thread and i can double post if i want.

yes, the world of high fidelity listening is one that is as pathetic as collecting funko pops only more expensive for diminishing returns. luckily i live alone, so no one else has to deal with my shit, and i stick to headphones so my neighbors don't have to listen to my music.

appreciate the pity though.

Positron

Team Tchaikovsky
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A month ago I took advantage of a deal to upgrade my Stax system. Previously I was using SR-404 Signature "earspeaker" with the SRM-006t tube Amp. Now I'm listening with SR-L700MK2 with the solid-state SRM-700S amp. The first impression of the new set-up was a bit of a let down to be honest, perhaps because my old setup was already superb (what compelled me to change was that the earphones have developed some very annoying whizzing noise). There is no "wow factor". But as I lived with it I've learn to appreciate its sheer effortlessness in presentation. It is something that is hard to put down in words; I'd just say the sound makes very relaxing listening and makes me want to go to sleep -- and not in a bad way!

Compared with my old set, the new Stax are very vivid and uplifting in pop music. Although when it comes to really well-recorded classical and jazz, they don't have so much of an edge over the old ones.

since the soundstage I've experienced listening to a set of Hifiman HE-560's was crazy. But that is probably something I'd never buy unless I can score a set used for dirt cheap. Maybe I'd get a cheaper set of Hifimans.
Hifimans are hard to drive so factor in the cost of the amp too. And if a wide soundstage is important to you, consider one of the newer Yamaha CD players like the CD-S2100.

Last edited:

Stilgar of Troon

Facial Fremen-isation Surgery
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rebuilt/customised Denon UPX amplifier, Bowers & Wilkins DM601 S2 speakers, QED Reference XT40i wiring. Cans are Shure SRH440s, DT990 Pros and a shitty Razer gaming headset. Nothing amazing, but I like it.

Cowboy Kim

Lookin' for a five-star tomato
kiwifarms.net
Funnily enough, I've considered making an audiophile thread in Proving Grounds, but don't know if it produces enough tard cum to warrant it. Heres a quick proof-of-concept as to what a thread would look like:

An audiophile is, roughly, a person who is passonite about audio, namely the fidelity (both objective & subjective.) You'd be surprised to hear that the audiophile ""community"" is home to rampant fanboyism, power-tripping mods, & unparalleled smug circlejerks.
1. The Products

"fantastic clarity, lower noise, more focus, better imaging, musical bass, pristine highs, rich midrange with melodic qualities which simply sing music in all its purity. If you already enjoy the DFPC Series power cables, and now the Firewall modules, you will absolutely love the Bindbreaker feet."

The audiophile community has a tendency to determine what karet gold your ears are by how expensive every minor piece of your setup is. The most famous cases are on the subject of premium audio cables. Through the power of gullibility, perfectionism & crippling autism, these fucks unironically belive their multi-thousand dollar cables have drastically improved their fidelity.
^^This is Michael Fremer, one of the biggest "cows" in audio. We'll discuss him later.
The main location for this form of retardation is What HiFi? & it's mocking tumblr-based cousin WatHiFi? Of course, this isn't all that amusing, but is a good entry to how delusional some of these tards can get.
2. The people

"I say let the peasants enjoy their low-grade sonics and cheap, personal consumer electronics if it makes them happy.
I plan on indulging in great sound and gear despite what the general public does."

The audiophile world has a reputation for being pretentious, snobbish fags who sneer at the normies who don't spend thousands on specific record pressings. One noteworthy cow is Tom Port, owner of Better Records, a site dedicated to selling only the finest records for die goldohrige Herrenrasse. He has a reputation for shittalking any record that isn't an original 1st pressing, especially re-issues that are widely considered to be the best versions. he's considered one of the more controversial people in the audio world, and generates mass quantities of salt. For an example, have this autist sperging about him. Micheal Fremer is a well known for critic who's well known for his hatred of digital audio.

This a quick writeup, could theoretically make it more fleshed out if intrest is there. Lots of stuff is missing too.