Any audiophiles here? - Only marginally more socially acceptable than pedophillia!

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Gravityqueen4life

MEOW!
kiwifarms.net
what happens if a audiophiles gets tinnitus? do they get sucidal? how often do you think they clean their ears for maximize sound quality?

Mal0

Breached containment just to shitpost.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Funnily enough, I've considered making an audiophile thread in Proving Grounds, but don't know if it produces enough tard cum to warrant it. Heres a quick proof-of-concept as to what a thread would look like:

An audiophile is, roughly, a person who is passonite about audio, namely the fidelity (both objective & subjective.) You'd be surprised to hear that the audiophile ""community"" is home to rampant fanboyism, power-tripping mods, & unparalleled smug circlejerks.
1. The Products

"fantastic clarity, lower noise, more focus, better imaging, musical bass, pristine highs, rich midrange with melodic qualities which simply sing music in all its purity. If you already enjoy the DFPC Series power cables, and now the Firewall modules, you will absolutely love the Bindbreaker feet."

The audiophile community has a tendency to determine what karet gold your ears are by how expensive every minor piece of your setup is. The most famous cases are on the subject of premium audio cables. Through the power of gullibility, perfectionism & crippling autism, these fucks unironically belive their multi-thousand dollar cables have drastically improved their fidelity.
^^This is Michael Fremer, one of the biggest "cows" in audio. We'll discuss him later.
The main location for this form of retardation is What HiFi? & it's mocking tumblr-based cousin WatHiFi? Of course, this isn't all that amusing, but is a good entry to how delusional some of these tards can get.
2. The people

"I say let the peasants enjoy their low-grade sonics and cheap, personal consumer electronics if it makes them happy.
I plan on indulging in great sound and gear despite what the general public does."

The audiophile world has a reputation for being pretentious, snobbish fags who sneer at the normies who don't spend thousands on specific record pressings. One noteworthy cow is Tom Port, owner of Better Records, a site dedicated to selling only the finest records for die goldohrige Herrenrasse. He has a reputation for shittalking any record that isn't an original 1st pressing, especially re-issues that are widely considered to be the best versions. he's considered one of the more controversial people in the audio world, and generates mass quantities of salt. For an example, have this autist sperging about him. Micheal Fremer is a well known for critic who's well known for his hatred of digital audio.

This a quick writeup, could theoretically make it more fleshed out if intrest is there. Lots of stuff is missing too.
I am a fucking brainlet when it comes to hifi stuff and the specifics of it. If you want, I can include it in the OP?

I am severely underqualified to make the official audiophile thread. This was just a small question, but if you want to make it the official thead I will edit it. If not, feel free to make an official thread and I'll have the jannies remove this one.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Despite being into headphones for a few years, I am still a massive noob since I hardly talk to people about it or interact with the audiophile community. My daily driver is a simple one, a FX-Audio DAC/AMP combo that I'm running through optical to my PC, though I plan to upgrade when I have a set of headphones that have an impudence rating higher than what my DAC can efficiently power. I have a set of SR-80e's I picked up with the DAC, a set of Sennheiser 600's (because a friend sold them to me for 85 sheckles), and a set of DT 990 Pro's I bought a few months ago. Combined with Dolby Atmos, I have a decent budget setup for anything from FLAC listening to audio mixing to watching MATI streams.

Eventually I am looking at getting a set of planar magnetic headphones, since the soundstage I've experienced listening to a set of Hifiman HE-560's was crazy. But that is probably something I'd never buy unless I can score a set used for dirt cheap. Maybe I'd get a cheaper set of Hifimans.

What headphones do the Kiwis use? Speaker setups? General music listening setups?

This is fucking retarded
Audiophiles are insufferable and easily scammed. I wish I never had to see a stupid audiophile post again

All Cops Are Based

the day soyjak killed burzum
kiwifarms.net
I guess not. I don't know/care what "transients" are, I can't tell when something has clipping unless it's super obvious (Rick Rubin's shit), and it never really registers to me whether something has too much or too little mids or treble or whatever.

When you have semi-good speakers, around 90% of noticeable sound quality boils down to mixing/mastering. Most music is actually just mastered like garbage these days (including a good chunk of old music thanks to the proliferation of bad brickwalled remasters--put on some headphones and get a load of this trash). You're just trying to squeeze blood from a stone by trying to make it sound better with a room full of fancy gear. A square shaped waveform will never sound that punchy or alive.

Last edited:

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
A couple of years back I wanted a decent audio setup so I began looking into a ton of reviews and reading forums and came to the opinion that, yeah, hardcore audiophiles are at best autists and at worst lolcows.

In particular there tends to be two groups that hate each other - objectivists vs subjectivists. The former base their opinions off of actual measurements of the hardware (i.e. SINAD and dynamic range) while the latter only care about 'what they hear'. The former isn't too bad, they're autistic like anyone passionate about a subject; it's the latter group where you'll find the retarded fanboys that'll defend their products no matter what. There's a saying in that community, "you hear with your eyes", which is to say that the more impressive and expensive a piece of hardware looks the more people think it sounds better, regardless of whether or not it actually does.

There's been a lot of blind tests and ABX tests that generally show that most people can't tell the difference between the output of cheap equipment and expensive equipment, with a good list of articles here.

The audio industry in general is also filled with a ton of snake oil. Claim that your cables are made from some unique material that'll "increase the richness of the black of the background of music" and you'll have idiots shelling out thousands of dollars for them and going, "Wow, this does make my music sound better!" I remember there was an article reviewing different USB cables for use with DACs and the way they were described matched the color of the cable (i.e. the red one was said to make the music "warmer", the blue one one "smoother", and the clear one "transparent").

Deadwaste

i hate the internet and in return it hates me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i kinda want to get my hands on those nuraphones. sure they could be bullshit but if australian ipod guy says the sound really good, they must be fucking good. and they'd better be worth that 400 dollar price tag too

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
I love music and equipment that makes it sound nice so I'll gladly accept the audiophile label. I used to be more of a "objective" type of hobbyist because, like the guy a few posts above said, the subjectivist camp can be cult-like and insufferable. However the people who call themselves objectivists mostly seem to enjoy listening to tiny insignificant details on the same worn out records year after year as opposed to actually enjoying music. As I've gotten older I feel more comfortable with the hobby in the sense that I know what I like and how I like my music to sound, instead of neurotically comparing frequency graphs and powercube measurements. It's a silly hobby for sure but I also play mtg so I guess I'm a silly person all together.

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not an audiophile by any means, but still got Airpods Max. Mainly because I'm too retarded too set in the ear muffs correctly, so the magnetic one is good. They look better too, not a fan of the plastic look.

It would be retarded to buy them if I almost didn't use them, but I almost use them 24/7. Cause, apartment have no soundproofing and my hearing is too good for my own good. And don't want to be the neighbour whining about every little sound.

Might still be retarded, but I love new gadgets.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I have a pair of Samson SR850 open-backed reference quality-ish headphones I bought online last year due to a Dankpods review on cheap headphones. They sound great although the closed-back Philips SHP1900 headphones I got from an overstock store for only around $15 Canadian a few years ago also punch well above their price.

For listening to music outside the house, I just use the basic Sony earbuds that you can still get at Walmart for sub-$10 and they sound fine.

They're all wired. I wouldn't want wireless earbuds anyway as they interfere with AM radio reception.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dabbled until I got into legit audio engineering.
Once you assist the man behind the curtain a few times you realize how little it matters on the consumer end of things beyond "sorta nice equipment but nothing extravagant"

Rozzy

A UwU Shiba Inu
kiwifarms.net
Beets by Dr Phil.
beets.jpg

Mark Knopfler

You play the guitar on the MTV.
kiwifarms.net
I have a pair of Samson SR850 open-backed reference quality-ish headphones I bought online last year due to a Dankpods review on cheap headphones. They sound great although the closed-back Philips SHP1900 headphones I got from an overstock store for only around $15 Canadian a few years ago also punch well above their price.

For listening to music outside the house, I just use the basic Sony earbuds that you can still get at Walmart for sub-$10 and they sound fine.

They're all wired. I wouldn't want wireless earbuds anyway as they interfere with AM radio reception.
Yeah I got a pair of Samsons too because of Dankpods. I got them for $50 CAD from Walmart and they sound really good for the price. The only complaint I have about them is the ear cups are a bit small for my ears and can get a bit uncomfortable after long periods of time wearing them. I imagine you probably can get bigger replacement cups though I don't know what size would fit on them.

Also the video in question:

Blancmange

More custard than man.
kiwifarms.net
I too have the DAC-X6, did you know you can move a jumper inside to increase the gain? It's still not a good choice for inefficient headphones though. I use it in the bedroom to watch TV while I fall asleep.

For headphones, I have AKG K712 Pro, Fostex T50RP MKIII with diy Mayflower mod, and Grado SR-80e. Running on an Emotiva Bas-X A-100 and Topping E30.

I've also dabbled in tubes, which is whole other ball of wax.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Do headphone amplifiers make much of a difference in sound quality if you're buying modern headphones with an impedance of around 32 ohms?

Everything I plug the Samson SR850's into without an amplifier sounds fine but admittedly I've never listened to the same devices (re: mainly laptops and portable CD players, also the PS4 controller if I'm playing at night and don't want to disturb people or if I'm watching a movie on Blu-Ray and want better sound than that which comes out of the little RCA TV speakers) with the headphones plugged into an external amplifier to really know what I'm missing out on, if anything.

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
Back in the day I watched some YouTuber named "Z Reviews." Pretty informative. I wouldn't quite say he's an audiophile since most of his content seems to be aimed at the average audio enthusiast. However, the funny part was that the dude lived in this 2 bedroom apartment he'd completely filled out with audio gear and anime figures, almost floor to ceiling in every room. One odd note was that in each video he made sure a monitor was nearby displaying a full-screened image of an anime girl, always some degen shit that made it impossible to recommend the video to people who were interested in audio.

I remembered his channel recently and apparently he bought a huge-ass house somewhere and just completely filled it up with speakers, headphones, amps, and tons of other tech shit:

You can just randomly click around in the video to get an idea of how insane it is, although the hallway of headphones at the very start should tip you off immediately that something is up.

This was like 5 months ago and he's constantly unboxing new stuff. It's very bizarre. Either he's getting it all for review purposes or the dude really does spend like $10k/week on new audio gear that just sits around his house.

tehpope

Wig Out | Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I kind of am. I'm a music file snob. Into FLAC and AAC. I think at one point in the early 2000s, there was sanity in there. But audio formats have gotten really fucking good since mp3 got popular in the 90s. I keep flac around to conver to other formats. I try and get it. I use AAC on my phone. Just compresses better and give you more spectral range.

But I'm not insane. I've come to realization that you don't need thouands of dollars of equipment to get the best sound. You just need something that isn't going to distort the sound. Louder is better basically. Folks like VWestlife have shown me the way a bit. His reviews of cheap record players opened my eyes a lot. After I bought a $400 ProJect player.

I play a lot of my music off a set of Edifier R1850DB speakers. They're really good. My headphones of choice were those $100 Sony headphones (MDR7506). I have a $30 pair of bluetooth headphones from MPow. I think they do color the audio from neutral, but I've gotten used to it. I have some cheapo $15 sony headphones and they rock pretty great.

Back in the day I watched some YouTuber named "Z Reviews." Pretty informative. I wouldn't quite say he's an audiophile since most of his content seems to be aimed at the average audio enthusiast. However, the funny part was that the dude lived in this 2 bedroom apartment he'd completely filled out with audio gear and anime figures, almost floor to ceiling in every room. One odd note was that in each video he made sure a monitor was nearby displaying a full-screened image of an anime girl, always some degen shit that made it impossible to recommend the video to people who were interested in audio.

I remembered his channel recently and apparently he bought a huge-ass house somewhere and just completely filled it up with speakers, headphones, amps, and tons of other tech shit:

You can just randomly click around in the video to get an idea of how insane it is, although the hallway of headphones at the very start should tip you off immediately that something is up.

This was like 5 months ago and he's constantly unboxing new stuff. It's very bizarre. Either he's getting it all for review purposes or the dude really does spend like $10k/week on new audio gear that just sits around his house.
I think he's really into audio shit. His appartment was filled with that shit.

LolRaccoon

Trash panda and trash boat
kiwifarms.net
I like collecting and listening to records. I have a decent set up with a $300 turntable. But that's about as far as I get when it comes to being an audiophile. It is hard for me to tell the difference between different digital audio formats and I'm probably going deaf anyway so it doesn't matter.