Any audiophiles here? - Only marginally more socially acceptable than pedophillia!

Shroom King

kiwifarms.net
I started researching to see if my 1995 THX Laserdiscs of the Star Wars trilogy (the "Faces" versions) were the TRUE AND HONEST way to watch Star Wars. After a lot of research I have realized that the answer, of course, is yes.

Explaining my position would quickly earn this thread a Plagued label, so I am just going to quote what I wrote in a very similar thread concerning audio quality.

The reason to use lossless audio is to ensure gapless playback. While you might not be able to tell the difference between FLAC and mp3, you will notice the split-second pause between tracks if you are playing the mp3 version of an album where all the songs run together like The Wall.

Some JERK

I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin'
kiwifarms.net
what happens if a audiophiles gets tinnitus? do they get sucidal? how often do you think they clean their ears for maximize sound quality?
I don't know how it is for most people with tinnitus, but I've had it since I was young (playing in a loud band with no hearing protection because more louder is more better) and my brain edits it out to the point where I can only hear the ringing when I think about it. (In other words I only hear it when I want to.)

Aside from that my hearing is fine.

As for the OP, I'm only an audiophile as it pertains to guitar equipment. I have flat EQd studio monitor headphones that I use when playing and I'm forever making microscopic adjustments to amp EQs and EQ pedals in the hopeless search for a mid-range tone that cuts through a mix but doesn't get brassy and harsh on its own. For everyththing else I'm happy with cheap earbuds and speakers.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I started researching to see if my 1995 THX Laserdiscs of the Star Wars trilogy (the "Faces" versions) were the TRUE AND HONEST way to watch Star Wars. After a lot of research I have realized that the answer, of course, is yes.

Is there even an official way to watch the original versions of the original Star Wars trilogy in HD or is, decades later, CAV Laserdisc still the official option with the best quality picture? (I know there was those DVDs with the original versions as a bonus feature but I think they were just direct Laserdisc transfers with crappier picture quality due to compression of what had been a pure analogue video signal on Laserdisc.)

Yes, I know about various "De-Specialized" versions of Star Wars but those aren't official releases.

Bat Dad

Do not cross the Bat Daaad!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Funnily enough, I've considered making an audiophile thread in Proving Grounds, but don't know if it produces enough tard cum to warrant it. Heres a quick proof-of-concept as to what a thread would look like:

An audiophile is, roughly, a person who is passonite about audio, namely the fidelity (both objective & subjective.) You'd be surprised to hear that the audiophile ""community"" is home to rampant fanboyism, power-tripping mods, & unparalleled smug circlejerks.
1. The Products

"fantastic clarity, lower noise, more focus, better imaging, musical bass, pristine highs, rich midrange with melodic qualities which simply sing music in all its purity. If you already enjoy the DFPC Series power cables, and now the Firewall modules, you will absolutely love the Bindbreaker feet."

The audiophile community has a tendency to determine what karet gold your ears are by how expensive every minor piece of your setup is. The most famous cases are on the subject of premium audio cables. Through the power of gullibility, perfectionism & crippling autism, these fucks unironically belive their multi-thousand dollar cables have drastically improved their fidelity.
^^This is Michael Fremer, one of the biggest "cows" in audio. We'll discuss him later.
The main location for this form of retardation is What HiFi? & it's mocking tumblr-based cousin WatHiFi? Of course, this isn't all that amusing, but is a good entry to how delusional some of these tards can get.
2. The people

"I say let the peasants enjoy their low-grade sonics and cheap, personal consumer electronics if it makes them happy.
I plan on indulging in great sound and gear despite what the general public does."

The audiophile world has a reputation for being pretentious, snobbish fags who sneer at the normies who don't spend thousands on specific record pressings. One noteworthy cow is Tom Port, owner of Better Records, a site dedicated to selling only the finest records for die goldohrige Herrenrasse. He has a reputation for shittalking any record that isn't an original 1st pressing, especially re-issues that are widely considered to be the best versions. he's considered one of the more controversial people in the audio world, and generates mass quantities of salt. For an example, have this autist sperging about him. Micheal Fremer is a well known for critic who's well known for his hatred of digital audio.

This a quick writeup, could theoretically make it more fleshed out if intrest is there. Lots of stuff is missing too.
Do you remember the NwAvGuy affair? There was plenty of total spazzes in that whole scenario. Does anyone have any guesses who NwAvGuy is yet? I stopped paying attention to this stuff around the same time.

For those wondering, NwAvGuy was (probably) some kind of audio engineer that basically trolled the community (and the companies preying on them) by designing his own "objectively good" headphone amp (and DAC), then open-sourced it. That design is still being reiterated and improved upon and sold commercially (most headphone people would know it as the O2).

Ita Mori

⚜Party With Crooks⚜
kiwifarms.net
Do headphone amplifiers make much of a difference in sound quality if you're buying modern headphones with an impedance of around 32 ohms?
Amps serve one main purpose; to drive your headphones (Yes, they can influence tone and volume, but not in a drastic way unless you're using really high-end headphones). In general terms, the higher impedance (ohms) your cans require, the more powerful an amp you need. Lucky for you, 32 ohms is quite easy to drive on a PC or sound system.

You're talking about a DAC if you're wondering about more discernible difference in sound quality. Tone, warmth, soundstage, etc.
If you're curious, have never really used amps or dacs but rather whatever basic headphone jack your gadget came with, and don't want to break the bank, get something like the FiiO e10k amp/dac combo.

That said, your particular headphones aren't hi-fi so they'll pretty much sound the same on anything that can power them fully. I don't think the PS4 controller can actually do that though.
I tried them a few years ago but like I said in my original post, I'm just not a fan of (semi)open-back headphones, wide soundstage be damned.

It's very bizarre. Either he's getting it all for review purposes or the dude really does spend like $10k/week on new audio gear that just sits around his house.
He gets most his shit for review purposes.
The perks of being a notable audiofag.

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
That said, your particular headphones aren't hi-fi so they'll pretty much sound the same on anything that can power them fully. I don't think the PS4 controller can actually do that though.

I don't have an issue with the levels listening through the PS4 controller headphone jack but I always keep the controller plugged into the console anyway. I've never tried listening when the controller's in wireless mode.

Bat Dad

Do not cross the Bat Daaad!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't have an issue with the levels listening through the PS4 controller headphone jack but I always keep the controller plugged into the console anyway. I've never tried listening when the controller's in wireless mode.
I use 32ohm Semi-Open headphones with my PS4 wireless controller regularly. They sound fine, with plenty of volume. The ones I use aren't spectacular, they're cheap but have a decent rep for a flat sound (Samson SR850).

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
I use 32ohm Semi-Open headphones with my PS4 wireless controller regularly. They sound fine, with plenty of volume. The ones I use aren't spectacular, they're cheap but have a decent rep for a flat sound (Samson SR850).

Yeah, if I'm playing games or watching movies or anime on the PS4 with headphones on, I'm usually listening through either Samson SR850's, which I bought because of that Dankpods review last year, or the even more "budget" Philips SHP1900's, which, to my own ears, also have a similarly flat sound profile although I have no way of testing them scientifically.

Shroom King

kiwifarms.net
Is there even an official way to watch the original versions of the original Star Wars trilogy in HD or is, decades later, CAV Laserdisc still the official option with the best quality picture? (I know there was those DVDs with the original versions as a bonus feature but I think they were just direct Laserdisc transfers with crappier picture quality due to compression of what had been a pure analogue video signal on Laserdisc.)

Yes, I know about various "De-Specialized" versions of Star Wars but those aren't official releases.

Nope. The 2006 Limited Editions DVDs were half-assed rips from the Laserdiscs, and their audio is in 2 channel stereo. The 1995 Laserdiscs are in the 4-channel Dolby Surround (both digital and analog), which means they are a 1 to 1 transfer from the theatre audio source. No upmixing or downmixing involved. Since you mentioned picture quality, yes the 1993 "definitive" CAV editions should have the best picture quality, but they are CAV instead of the 1995 CLV Laserdiscs. I say should because I never watched the 1993 CAV editions but I heard the side changes are exactly 30 minutes apart with no regard to the flow of the films. Vader about to BTFO some Imperial dumbass? SIDE CHANGE!

How does 5.1 work with the old 4-channel Dolby Surround? Like ass. Add a rear speaker to bump your system up to 6.1, and then when you enjoy your Laserdisc goodness, have the AV receiver output only LCR and Rear, and ignore the LR surrounds.

Having 6.1 also allows you to enjoy the LOTR movies as God intended, since their theatrical releases were in 6.1.

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
Nope. The 2006 Limited Editions DVDs were half-assed rips from the Laserdiscs, and their audio is in 2 channel stereo. The 1995 Laserdiscs are in the 4-channel Dolby Surround (both digital and analog), which means they are a 1 to 1 transfer from the theatre audio source. No upmixing or downmixing involved. Since you mentioned picture quality, yes the 1993 "definitive" CAV editions should have the best picture quality, but they are CAV instead of the 1995 CLV Laserdiscs. I say should because I never watched the 1993 CAV editions but I heard the side changes are exactly 30 minutes apart with no regard to the flow of the films. Vader about to BTFO some Imperial dumbass? SIDE CHANGE!

Didn't some of the higher-end players have double laser assemblies so you could play both sides of CAV disks without flipping (although I'd imagine there would still be at least a few seconds delay between sides)? I only have a really basic Pioneer player so I always had to flip although the only theatrical movie I had that was 100% CAV was Tenchi Muyo in Love.

I never owned any Star Wars on LD but I didn't even buy a player until 1997, just before the few local stores in Montreal that had Laserdisc started liquidating their LD selection.

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
I'm finally getting back into vinyl in addition to hoarding cd's. Feels good to have all my music available forever and instantly accessible. Still use Qobuz for occasional streaming but there really is something to be said for owning all your music instead of eternally renting it.

Grand Omega

kiwifarms.net
Recently, I've been getting autistic over acoustic treatment way more than I have audio equipment. 120lbs of rockwool put into panel/clouds/corner traps has worked well in flattening the dips/peaks of my room response. Anyone who cares about getting the most out of their equipment would do well to look into it.

Monkey Shoulder

kiwifarms.net
Recommend me some wireless headphones for my PC. Let's say about 500 bucks.
I know, wired is king, but it's not an option right now.

stupidpieceofshit

Panzer Vor, Motherfuckers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a $30 pair of bluetooth headphones from MPow
The Mpows my cheap ass boss gets for the phone operators at work suck ass, no idea about sound quality but they can't hold their connection nor can they handle day to day use with out breaking if you even think about looking at them wrong. I have some headphones (n90s walkman style) from the dollar store that I found in my house that put up better with more abuse then these mpows, the sound quality is ass though. I only keep them around to remind my self how bad audio can get.

Im still kicking my self I lost one of my Shure 846s, I hope i find it again because they sounded so nice.

ks99

kiwifarms.net
Anyone who claims to give a shit about audio quality needs to watch this video very carefully.
Most audiophaggotry is debunked here. Why would you listen to these nobodies at Xiph, you might ask? They're the creators of Ogg Vorbis/Opus and FLAC. Yeah, FLAC, the digital audioconsoomers (or pirates) favorite format. This dude Monty lives and breathes audio autism, except it's the scientific kind of autism. It's real. It's not bullshit about "harmonics" that purportedly exist only in vinyl releases in frequencies your ears were never able to hear that your speakers or headphones can't even produce.