Anyone doing meal prep?

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Cool Dog

No longer a dog, still cool
kiwifarms.net
I like just cooking once a week, tho I been stuck like a year with the same menu because not all stuff freezes right nor lasts a week in the fridge

And no its not lowfat, healthy? yeah, healthier than the frozen shit on the supermarket, fast food or takeout, but thats it

What about you guys?

Last edited:

I'd abeeb bear

Special Slam Poetry Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
No, I just eat whatever I can find in a dumpster behind the local Arby's.
The dignified doctor life, I see

Zoidberg.jpg

MerriedxReldnahc

#1 Wogglebug Fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm halfway between fresh daily and weekly meal prepping. Usually I'll plan to cook enough that I can get lunches out of the leftovers, or I'll plan something that will stretch over a few days. A tray of enchiladas last my 3 person family two full nights and sometimes with lunch. A big enough rotisserie chicken I've managed to get three nights out of.
I got a new slow cooker and have already used it a lot for big meals, pork butt lasts for a few nights, as does meatballs. I used an oatmeal recipe that made me like, 8 mornings of oatmeal.
My mom used to make big pots of chili that I swear lasted a week, unfortunately I hate beans and don't think her chili is very good, so after day three of eating that for lunch I want to hang myself.

Not Really Here

"The Blackface Lawyer and Racist Dog Show"
kiwifarms.net
Same. The most I can stomach is next-day leftovers.

But I remember being poor, and rationing a single pot of stew for a week.

Oh, I'll make a dozen banana waffles, and freeze them - for home-made 'eggos'(tm).
The thing poor people need most is a fucking Crockpot, you can make around a gallon of damn fine stew for under $10.

Double post avoidance edit: @MerriedxReldnahc look for a keto chili, not that chili is supposed to have beans anyway.

I'd abeeb bear

Special Slam Poetry Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
The thing poor people need most is a fucking Crockpot, you can make around a gallon of damn fine stew for under $10.

Double post avoidance edit: @MerriedxReldnahc look for a keto chili, not that chili is supposed to have beans anyway.
It took me years to convince people around me that they'd save money cooking at home because people, somehow, fail to understand that the initial cost may be higher than a single restaurant meal, but you can eat it for literal days. That's how you get those buzzfeed articles with 400 dollars a month going towards "dining out"

Helvítis Túristi

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've just bought spam, nori(seaweed), and sushi rice... because want to try making spam musubis. I hear they can keep for a week in the fridge, saran-wrapped.
Spam musubis is so good. Although I also add Japanese mayo in it as well.

Whether I cook my food fresh every day or once a week for leftovers, depends on what it is. If it's fish, it needs to be fresh or recently thawed out. If it's something I know will last a long time, there's less stress about it being fresh.

Deepthoughts

kiwifarms.net
That stuff is usually expensive. I just try to not buy already processed/boxes/canned foods. Thought for the past year the 10 pounds I gained laugh at my attempt.

Last edited:

Spit bucket

Hey, would you like to join the way of Jashin?
kiwifarms.net
Usually make prepped lunch's for the week like pasta or a few sandwiches but I cook dinner most nights. Been trying to gain weight so I cook and and eat as much as I can.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
you mean like "dice a bunch of onions and store them in your freezer to save time later" type stuff?
not really.
If I've got leftovers I'll certainly eat them as I can,
I did recently make a few hamburger patties to nuke later, but that was more a "the meat needs to get cooked soon" thing than a regular practice.

Haram Exercise

Whatever it takes c'mon
kiwifarms.net
I did meal prep for about a month. Making a week's worth of meals and ready to microwave. I didn't like it. The last two days meals get grody, the plastic containers start to warp and break, and it's probably not a good idea to microwave them even though they claim it's safe.
Besides, I've found a happy place cooking in the kitchen every day, even if it's just a quick sandwich.
I do prep some vegetables ahead of time. I keep a chopped onion in a ziploc, as well as bell peppers, carrots, green onion, and whatever else I'll be using that week.

Tingle

Kooloo-Limpah!~
kiwifarms.net
I did meal prep for about a month. Making a week's worth of meals and ready to microwave. I didn't like it. The last two days meals get grody, the plastic containers start to warp and break, and it's probably not a good idea to microwave them even though they claim it's safe.
Besides, I've found a happy place cooking in the kitchen every day, even if it's just a quick sandwich.
I do prep some vegetables ahead of time. I keep a chopped onion in a ziploc, as well as bell peppers, carrots, green onion, and whatever else I'll be using that week.
Precisely the reason I prefer glass whenever possible, even if it's more expensive. As long as you don't drop it I feel it lasts much longer than nasty, discolored plastic.

I've been meaning to have food ready for my work lunches but aside from chicken or fish with rice and veggies or a literal PB&J sandwich I haven't made food ahead of time much. Cooking is fun, but the cleanup is always a bitch and a half especially with stovetop stuff.