Apple removes Fortnite from App Store over dispute of 30% commission -

AsbestosFlaygon

Baka!
kiwifarms.net
He's got good points, with how iOS is such a tightly locked down platform when that's just not standard for any other computing platform.
He makes it pretty clear that control's a general mobile problem, Android might give you more control, but he wasn't exactly praising them either.

Now something about Ross' point I want ask, what about consoles? They have pretty much total control over what you can and can't release on them. And keep in mind Nintendo got sued over that and won, so not all hardware's required to be a open platform. I wouldn't guarantee that a court would make a similar ruling for iOS, but I do think it's worth pointing out there's precedent for what Apple's doing, they do have a argument to be made.
And how only iOS demands a 30% fee for buying and installing every single piece of software that costs money across the board.
But as has been noted other storefronts have the same fee, notably the console storefronts and Steam. And beyond that you do have to pay to use any retailer, be it digital in the case of Amazon or Ebay, or physical in the case of Walmart, or any number of mom and pop shops. Sure it's not necessarily the 30 percent per-purchase that the gaming stores use, but in some way the store you're selling at's going to take a cut or ask for some sort of fee.

What Epic's doing is like me trying to argue that I should be able to sell my products at Walmart without paying them anything because they're the only major store in town. I'm pretty certain in that scanario that Walmart would be in the right, likewise I tend to think that Apple has a much strong case than Epic, especially consider how they clearly intended to cause trouble given things like the fancy CGI trailer.

Disc

Corruption in the CD-Rom
kiwifarms.net
Hoeg Law weighs in on The Game Theorists hot take on the lawsuits (and Epic fanboys in general) and goes over some of the inaccuracies commonly brought up by people taking Epic's side.
For those who aren't caring about Game Theory or didn't watch it, the gist was that Epic's attempting all this in the wake of a bunch of other suits which went against Apple recently, specifically talking about it in the context of a Monopoly. It completely fails to mention, however, that Epic signed the contract, and then clearly, deliberately, and with enough planning for a fully ready marketing campaign, broke it.

It also fails to mention that Epic having a plan != Epic having a good plan != Epic executing their plan well. They tried to become the face of the free when they challenged steam, and instead they became the go-to scummy company, who association with gets immediate disappointment. Partially because they didn't realise that being 'the ones who release the game first' isn't always a good thing in this age of 'release it now, patch it later'.

Darn was hoping this thread would be more active.
Is fun to periodically check Tims Twatter and see him whining about something epic does that apple does better.
Besides the fact there's epic games general dividing the attention and this isn't a Vic Mignogna situation where every new player is more cursed than the one before, court cases are really boring. Throw in some of the funnier whinging, though.

Ponchik

BALLSBALLSBALLS
kiwifarms.net
i.. dislike sweeney, but there's something inherently hilarious about a ludicrously wealthy ceo, overseeing one of the most profitable game dev megacorps on the planet, also personally taking his time to argue in fucking reddit threads (on /r/fuckepic specifically) with people that just want to see him publicly guillotined

at least he isn't moderating anything unlike a certain in-n-out patron from bongland

Catgirls are Love

Make Catgirls Purr Again
kiwifarms.net
Not directly related to the lawsuit itself so easily skipped if you really don't care, but turns out that The Game Theorists' earlier coverage of the lawsuit and praise of Epic Games/Fortnite was done without disclosing they had a potentially ongoing/imminent sponsorship with Epic Games/Fortnite on their film channel. Oops.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
i.. dislike sweeney, but there's something inherently hilarious about a ludicrously wealthy ceo, overseeing one of the most profitable game dev megacorps on the planet, also personally taking his time to argue in fucking reddit threads (on /r/fuckepic specifically) with people that just want to see him publicly guillotined

at least he isn't moderating anything unlike a certain in-n-out patron from bongland
Cliffy B did the same shit with Lawbreakers/Radical Heights.

I can see why all their early games had Rocket Jumping as a strategy because it required you shooting yourself in the foot.

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not directly related to the lawsuit itself so easily skipped if you really don't care, but turns out that The Game Theorists' earlier coverage of the lawsuit and praise of Epic Games/Fortnite was done without disclosing they had a potentially ongoing/imminent sponsorship with Epic Games/Fortnite on their film channel. Oops.
Wonder if that's an FTC violation...

Either way the last place I'd be getting legal advice - fuck, any advice - is from the Game Theorists. I honestly have no idea, other than money, why that faggot MatPat would even enter into this.

AsbestosFlaygon

Baka!
kiwifarms.net
Wonder if that's an FTC violation...

Either way the last place I'd be getting legal advice - fuck, any advice - is from the Game Theorists. I honestly have no idea, other than money, why that faggot MatPat would even enter into this.
It depends on when, if there was a deal at least in the works at the time of the first video than it likely would. However it's certainly possible that it only came about after the video, perhaps even because of it, thus wouldn't be a violation. The real interesting thing is going to be what happens when he continues his series of videos on Epic, as he'll need to disclose it in future videos on the matter.

OJ Simpson

Hey Kiwi World, It's Yours Truly.
kiwifarms.net
Tim whining about tons of developers choosing Steam over his shitty launcher cause the only ones he gets on he has to pay millions of dollars.
View attachment 1577942
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1302169067739131904?s=20
https://archive.ph/r3OZ4
Is this guy a man-child? That's the kid argument of "that kid over there has a cool toy ,why can't I have one?" . What a disingenuous take. He knows deep down that we don't like what his dumbass and his garbage company are doing because it's unethical. It completely takes away freedom of choice from those that use what's supposed to be the least restrictive gaming platform. And the irony in him tweeting and bitching about monopolies when he's been hell-bent on creating one, under the guise of competition. He doesn't want competition with Steam, he wants to take them down.

Difference between Steam only games and Epic only games, is GabeN doesn't have to drive a Brinks truck in front of a development studio.

Tim Sweeney is a homosexual and I would not conduct commerce with him.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tim whining about tons of developers choosing Steam over his shitty launcher cause the only ones he gets on he has to pay millions of dollars.
View attachment 1577942
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1302169067739131904?s=20
https://archive.ph/r3OZ4
Yes, because Steam is the best product out there. EA had its own launcher with no games on Steam. Guess what? It sucked asshole so they stopped doing it. Ubisoft has its own launcher and store as well, and you have to go through its launcher on Steam. Just because a game magically doesn't have a launcher doesn't make it 'exclusive'.

Also Tim, what the fuck do you do for developers? Do you have a workshop? Do you have development tools? Do you have forums where they can interact with the community? Do you have adult titles? Do you have a ratings system? Do you have a detailed finder where it bases things on your preferences and shows you games you might like? Do you have anti-cheat tools that anyone can use to save them tons of money for free? Do you have easy mod support where you can click 'subscribe' and the mod is instantly downloaded and you can use it immediately? Do you have a dynamic library that automatically puts games in a collection so you don't have to sort through it? Do you have curators so you can look through games with similar themes? Do you have tools and an audio SDK so you can easily use them? Do you even have a fucking shopping cart?

No, you've got NONE, NONE of this. You offer NOTHING but exclusives. That's it. You massive dumb faggot. You're so pissy because nobody likes your fucking store and only uses it to get free titles which you have to pay for or they buy the one game they want and never buy another thing. Or people just wait a year and let your idiot consumers bug test the product for them and then they buy the complete edition on Steam. You are so jealous it is fucking obvious. The Epic Games store is trash. Its worse than any launcher out there.

Nothing beats Steam, except maybe GoG who are specialized in optimizing old games. And that's offering something Steam doesn't. You offer less than Steam. The only reason you exist is because you buy exclusives, which everyone hates you for.

I bet this little bitch is crying because his exclusive deals are getting more and more expensive and he can't keep them permanent anymore because no one makes any fucking money on his shit platform. You're a whore Tim. That's all you are. A cumrag for developers. They use you for their costs, use your customers to optimize their game and get free beta testers, then move on to Steam and never look at you again and pretend you never existed.

You fucking think you can compete when you get like maybe 5 exclusive titles a year? IF that? Don't make me fucking laugh. All you can get are devs who need money or greedy publishers. And you think your exclusive indie titles are enough to make people switch, fucking lol. Also you have to constantly hand out free shit just to make people look at you. Its fucking pathetic.

Tags
None