Apple Thread - The most overrated technology brand?

What killed Steve Jobs?

• Pancreatic Cancer

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • AIDS from having gay sex with Tim Cook

Votes: 122 85.3%

• Total voters

MakeItRain

taste the waste
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I stole a 160 gb iPod classic off a rich kid at school 12 years ago, this week the hard drive caught covid and died. I could run it for weeks without charging and it always had my back on airplanes and road trips out of cell range. RIP to the best product apple ever made :( at least it'll feel good to finally old yeller my ancient version of iTunes behind the wood shed.

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I stole a 160 gb iPod classic off a rich kid at school 12 years ago, this week the hard drive caught covid and died. I could run it for weeks without charging and it always had my back on airplanes and road trips out of cell range. RIP to the best product apple ever made :( at least it'll feel good to finally old yeller my ancient version of iTunes behind the wood shed.
I feel ya. The classic iPods were pretty tasty pieces of kit. The sound quality was a bit variable though. Depends on what sort of headphones you insert and some of them sounded a bit tinny anyhow.

Unfortunately it paved the way for the iPhone and planned obsolescence and increasing vertical integration to the point at which now your only option is fucking Bluetooth earbuds which are painful to insert and painful to listen to and make even lossless FLAC audio into potato-sounding rubbish.

iTunes was a crock of rancid shite though. Slow, bloated and dysfunctional. Back in the late 2000s when I was reliant on my craptop to do anything it was the source of the majority of my computer rage because it swallowed way more memory and CPU time than it should have. And you couldn't even use it to copy files from an iPod to your compy, only compy to iPod. So I binned it and got myself Winamp which I still use to this day because it just works, uses almost no system resources, and you can sync both ways with it to any device.

MakeItRain

taste the waste
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
iTunes was a crock of rancid shite though. Slow, bloated and dysfunctional. Back in the late 2000s when I was reliant on my craptop to do anything it was the source of the majority of my computer rage because it swallowed way more memory and CPU time than it should have. And you couldn't even use it to copy files from an iPod to your compy, only compy to iPod. So I binned it and got myself Winamp which I still use to this day because it just works, uses almost no system resources, and you can sync both ways with it to any device.
iTunes is the the worst piece of software I've ever stuck with. I'm still pissed with myself over how much time I wasted on stupid workarounds for years - I moved my music library from my iPod over to computers by disabling auto-sync, enabling hidden folders on the iPod, copy pasting all of the music files onto the computer, and then having the computer do a total wipe and resync on the iPod. That was 150 gb of data so the process would take hours and I'm a stupid faggot for not binning it years ago.

I switched my music library over to foobar2000 a little while back except for iPod syncs. it's a really cool piece of customizable freeware, very lightweight. You can download components and tweak things to make it do pretty much whatever you want, but I figured my iPod would probably be on its way out soon so I never bothered rigging it to sync.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Internally, those old iPods use the same connector for their hard drives as Compact Flash cards. If you don't fear doing a little yanking and prying, you can take it apart and replace the dead hard drive with a CF card. Not only will it be faster and have more space, the battery life will improve too. Here's some instructions, though the model of iPod they use in that example requires an adapter for the CF card - I'm 95% sure your particular model doesn't require an adapter, but do your own research before busting your iPod open.

Once you've got the thing back together and Apple's firmware installed, you can install the alternative Rockbox firmware, which can live alongisde Apple's. Rockbox will let you play files off the iPod's filesystem directly so you don't need to use iTunes to load songs, and it will also play formats the iPod doesn't support like FLAC and WMA.

Between the two of those, it'll be like having a whole new media player.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sold on Apple switching to ARM. Large companies will probably take a while to port their programs, like Adobe, Autodesk etc. Remember how long it took for Adobe to release a Photoshop that ran natively on x86 MacOS the last time Apple switched? Remember how pissed mactards were because they consoooomed the machines anyway?

Then it's the graphics, Apple designs their own GPU for phones/tablets these days and it seems like they have their sights set on the desktop/laptop space as well, especially if they want to make everything in-house. That might be a pain in the ass for productivity applications that uses hardware acceleration. OpenGL and OpenCL is still available to Apple unless they go full 'tard and create their own graphics API as well.

If they use AMD/Nvidia GPUs for Mac Pro's then they need drivers for ARM, CUDA needs to be ported, and all of that is likely going to be a bumpy journey that makes people mad on the internet.

Least Concern

kiwifarms.net
OpenGL and OpenCL is still available to Apple unless they go full 'tard and create their own graphics API as well.
Apple did create its own graphics API in 2014: Metal. Both iOS and macOS support it.

As a gamer I wish they'd just license DirectX, which would make it easier to port games not using cross-platform frameworks from Windows. But I highly doubt that will happen.

• Agree
Reactions: Kot Johansson

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
After a shit experience with the iPhone 6, I just couldn't fuck with Apple anymore.
I wasn't necessarily an avid Apple slut or anything, most of my stuff was before 2011 such as:
ipod shuffle (2nd generation)
Ipod nano (4th generation)
Ipod touch (4th generation)
iphone 4s (honestly the best phone they ever released for its time imho)
Macbook Pro 13' (2010/2011) [it was given to me after my laptop broke, i didnt ask for it]
I think everything aside from the iPhone 4s all the stuff I had was pretty meh and overpriced for what they were. I was a kid so alot of this stuff was given to me rather than wanted.
Anyways, so I picked up an Iphone 6 ,It was working fine for a year , but around 2017- it just randomly drained its battery and died, never came back on as I was inside a car about to go a show. It was just totally random.
Went to the apple store the next day, they shoved some lighting charger device into the charging port of my phone, they diagnosed my motherboard as being dead, but also tried to insinuate it was due to water damage on my end when that was bullshit,
they didn't offer to do anything but suggest for me to get a new phone. I went to get a moto 4g play shortly after and it was objectively a better product for its price/performance than iphone 6 would ever be, so that's all i know pretty much.

Apple was at its prime before Steve Jobs died, and I'm not sure if they'll able to keep up at this rate when everyone else can easily stomp them on almost every aspect in some way or another. It just seems like the majority of people who support them now are rich losers, people who pretend they're rich, or artsy fartsy types who really think Macs are the go-to for art and editing.

By the way - I'm really surprised that people on this thread are praising Apple's fucking keyboard of all things, the actual fuck? They're just over-glorified chiclet keyboards. Have you guys touched a mechanical or even the dell l1000/sk-8115 at some point in your lives?

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
By the way - I'm really surprised that people on this thread are praising Apple's fucking keyboard of all things, the actual fuck? They're just over-glorified chiclet keyboards. Have you guys touched a mechanical or even the dell l1000/sk-8115 at some point in your lives?
I know right? The holy grail of keyboard technology was reached in the mid 1980s with the IBM Model M. Unless and until Apple can make something as robust, comfy, and responsive, they are nowhere.

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
I know right? The holy grail of keyboard technology was reached in the mid 1980s with the IBM Model M. Unless and until Apple can make something as robust, comfy, and responsive, they are nowhere.
Yeah, I really wish the market for those would come back, I'm sick of seeing these flimsy membrane chiclets that start getting gummy within 6 months of use. I was really not expecting to see people actually fancy new/modern Apple's keyboards whatsoever.
I think one of the only times Apple had ANYTHING similar to a robust kb was with their Apple IIe /Apple ll , Macintosh Keyboard (M0110)/Macintosh Plus Keyboard (M0110A), and basically most of their keyboards until the very early 2000s.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I have a Corsair Lux RGB keyboard on my desktop, and I prefer my Apple Bluetooth keyboard from 2012. I type faster on it than anything else, and I like the flat keys. I'm not a fan of the newer keyboards, though, their travel is so miniscule that I just feel like I'm typing on a piece of wood. Before the modern model though, even Apple's keyboards were best-in-class.

I'm not really crazy about mechanical keyboards.

Least Concern

kiwifarms.net
People who are stubborn about mechanical keyboards are like people who are stubborn about listening to vinyl or buying organic food. There are far more people who have convinced themselves the difference is meaningful than there are people who get any actual benefit from it.

That said, if you want to use a mechanical keyboard, use one. You're not locked to Apple's input devices since they adopted USB; just plug in whatever you want to use and it'll work. I myself haven't used an Apple-branded keyboard or mouse since the early '00s IIRC.

• Agree
Reactions: Pissmaster

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
I mentioned to my apple cult buddy that I'm not getting apple care or iCloud, he flipped his shit on me. Never seen the man get so defensive over a product
You should tell them that the icloud service is hosted on the exact same infrastructure as Microsoft, Amazon, google's cloud applications and that apple has none of their own cloud infrastructure.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People who are stubborn about mechanical keyboards are like people who are stubborn about listening to vinyl or buying organic food.
Except the difference is that unlike vinyl snobs who are either boomers and grew up on shitty analog sound with wow and flutter and clicks and pops or had boomer parents who subjected them to same and now think that this is how it should sound, and unlike organic snobs who are all MUH CHEMAKILLS, mechanical keyboards are objectively better:

- Mean time between failure 10 times more than a standard rubber dome keyboard
- Removable key caps mean you can clean them far more easily. Some, including the one I have, have no "lip" around the keys which means that you can simply turn them on their edge and bang them a few times to get the worst of the crap out.
- Also removable key caps means you can change between layouts - i.e. go from QWERTY to QWERTZ for German or AZERTY for French or even change from Latin to Cyrillic letters

The fact that Apple changed to an industry standard interface as an upgrade is an indictment of their practices btw.

Reactions: ConcernedAnon

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Apple did create its own graphics API in 2014: Metal. Both iOS and macOS support it.

As a gamer I wish they'd just license DirectX, which would make it easier to port games not using cross-platform frameworks from Windows. But I highly doubt that will happen.
Thing is, Metal was alright, but it wasn't anything special.

That's why they did Metal 2, which they released as part of Catalina, iOS/iPadOS 13 and tvOS whatever the hell it is atm, which greatly expands on what Metal wanted to be, including supporting XBox and PS4 controllers. It's part of why they're going with Apple Arcade, to help push devs using it.

So, tl;dr, no, Apple's gone their own way, and the chances of DirectX being licenced are sadly comical. I wish they'd support Vulkan though.

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
Except the difference is that unlike vinyl snobs who are either boomers and grew up on shitty analog sound with wow and flutter and clicks and pops or had boomer parents who subjected them to same and now think that this is how it should sound, and unlike organic snobs who are all MUH CHEMAKILLS, mechanical keyboards are objectively better:

- Removable key caps mean you can clean them far more easily. Some, including the one I have, have no "lip" around the keys which means that you can simply turn them on their edge and bang them a few times to get the worst of the crap out.
- Also removable key caps means you can change between layouts - i.e. go from QWERTY to QWERTZ for German or AZERTY for French or even change from Latin to Cyrillic letters

The fact that Apple changed to an industry standard interface as an upgrade is an indictment of their practices btw.
You can get also get a custom set of keycaps with the binding for applications like photoshop cc on them.

Least Concern

kiwifarms.net
- Normal keyboards last long enough especially considering they're much cheaper. I've had my current one for like four years and I literally make a living pushing computar botan all day.
- Key caps are removable on a normal keyboard too, of course. I don't think I've ever owned a keyboard that didn't have removable caps.
- Bruh, how often do people swap out their key caps and change layouts? This is a reach. Anyway, so long as all the caps are the same size, you can do this with a normal keyboard too - see above.

You're proving my case that you've convinced yourselves the difference is far more meaningful than it is. But you do you.

At any rate, is Apple not shipping mechanical keyboards with their systems really an indictment of Apple over other manufacturers? Does any other major manufacturer do so? I'd be surprised if so.

That's why they did Metal 2, which they released as part of Catalina, iOS/iPadOS 13 and tvOS whatever the hell it is atm, which greatly expands on what Metal wanted to be, including supporting XBox and PS4 controllers. It's part of why they're going with Apple Arcade, to help push devs using it.
I think you're mixing up Metal and GameKit. Metal is solely a low-level graphics API like OpenGL; it's GameKit that supports stuff like game controllers, as well as other higher-level APIs for stuff like sprites, physics, etc.

Reactions: GrayWater

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Thing is, Metal was alright, but it wasn't anything special.

So, tl;dr, no, Apple's gone their own way, and the chances of DirectX being licenced are sadly comical. I wish they'd support Vulkan though.
DirectX can't be licensed, it's also woven too deep into windows itself to be ported. Functionality wise OpenGL is the Direct3D equivalent and SDL would be the closest to DirectX as a whole.

Reading about Metal I see that they have given up both OpenCL and CUDA in favor of their own solution.

• Informative

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Mechanical keyboards just feel better than membrane ones, and you get the satisfying feeling of an unambiguous button actuation. They also sort of ruin membrane keyboards for you, even like my old-ass Logitech G15 feels like shit now.

Hell, maybe I should look for some flatter, slick keycaps for mine.

Joe Swanson

Famed TV Cripple
kiwifarms.net
shouldn't be too hard to replace in all honestly,
hell you can replace it with a standard flash card if you buy a few adapters

• Agree
Tags
None