Apple Thread - The most overrated technology brand?

What killed Steve Jobs?

• Pancreatic Cancer

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • AIDS from having gay sex with Tim Cook

Votes: 111 86.0%

• Total voters

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
To be fair, they should have done this right from the start. the 30pin iPod connector was crap by the time the first iPhone came out, and Mag safe connectors were the best ever thing Apple released. The lightning cable was better, but still a point of weakness to this day... Although they really fucked up when they ditched the Mag safe in favour of USB3. That was such a dumb move. They had essentially solved charger port issues (solder breaking, tripping over cables etc) then went back to something even worse...
To be fair, USB-C didn't exist when the first iPhone came out. Mini/Micro-USB did (I can never remember which one is smaller) but my guess is they decided to stick with the 30-pin connector since it was marginally thinner and the extra pins meant it could output things that used more pins than USB, like HDMI, with a simple cable rather than an adapter with chips in it to "translate" the signal (as current Lightning-to-HDMI adapters do), but who knows.

Mag Safe was only ever used for power connectors. Maybe there's some sort of technical limitation why it couldn't work for data cables, or maybe it's a dumb patent-related thing (why did other hardware manufacturers never do their own versions of Mag Safe? Had to be a patent thing, right?). Certainly I'd like to see some sort of "break-away" USB-C cable for charging, sort of like the Xbox's wired controllers had. They could do that without changing the connectors.

I'd like to see USB-C on the iPhone. Everyone would complain about having to buy new cables just as they did with Lightning, but at least this time it'd be a universal connector which you could also use for your laptop and whatever other devices you might have which use USB-C, so we're likely to end up with fewer cables in the long run. Let's do it. But there are also rumors that new iPhones won't have a cable connector at all, and only support wireless charging… I think I'd prefer to have the option to use USB-C.

• Agree
Reactions: Nguyen Van Phuoc

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
To be fair, USB-C didn't exist when the first iPhone came out. Mini/Micro-USB did (I can never remember which one is smaller) but my guess is they decided to stick with the 30-pin connector since it was marginally thinner and the extra pins meant it could output things that used more pins than USB, like HDMI, with a simple cable rather than an adapter with chips in it to "translate" the signal (as current Lightning-to-HDMI adapters do), but who knows.
I agree, but Magsafe was definitely a thing then, and even the 30 pin to TV cables for the iPods had to have a chip in them, then the ones from the iPods wouldn't work with the original iPhones, then the ones from the iPhone original, 3G and 3GS wouldn't work with the 4 or 4S...

Mag Safe was only ever used for power connectors. Maybe there's some sort of technical limitation why it couldn't work for data cables, or maybe it's a dumb patent-related thing (why did other hardware manufacturers never do their own versions of Mag Safe? Had to be a patent thing, right?). Certainly I'd like to see some sort of "break-away" USB-C cable for charging, sort of like the Xbox's wired controllers had. They could do that without changing the connectors.
It was a patent thing, Apple owned it patented and locked it down to fuck. All it needed though was another 1 pin to be completely USB2 compatible, and even USB3 and 3.1 as it was more than capable of providing exactly the same as USB3 and Lightning can, it's just they only focused on it being a power supply, not data.

I'd like to see USB-C on the iPhone. Everyone would complain about having to buy new cables just as they did with Lightning, but at least this time it'd be a universal connector which you could also use for your laptop and whatever other devices you might have which use USB-C, so we're likely to end up with fewer cables in the long run. Let's do it. But there are also rumors that new iPhones won't have a cable connector at all, and only support wireless charging… I think I'd prefer to have the option to use USB-C.
I use these cables which are not exactly magsafe, but they work on my iPhones, my Macbook Pros and my Kindles, but it's a hack at best, and they are not cheap, because you have to buy the whole setup just for each cable, and if you need a normal charge point, and don't have a cable it's a pain in the arse to get the little connectors out.

5188FxnNqyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Most of those early 32-bit EFI intel macs can support up to El Capitan, provided they have a 64-bit CPU.
Some can... None of the original 32bit EFI ones can though if they had onboard intel 950 or 3/3100/4000 series graphics chipsets, which was all of them.

Later ones that had discrete graphics, yeah they technically can...

I know "officially" Snow leopard was the cut off with the real original Mac Mini 1.5 Solo, but the intel GMA950 and 3000 series just couldn't support any acceleration after Lion/Mountain, and even that was a hack, and any intel chip higher than the 2.67 Core 2 Duo wouldn't work. I know, I tried...

It shouldn't have really supported Lion. Mountain Lion was honestly the furthest that particular model (and the first 2 plastic macbooks which were essentially a mac mini with a screen and keyboard) would go, but it wasn't great. No way any of those ones could do El Capitan... Just not possible. Not even with VESA graphics at 800x600. Impossible on the original intel chipsets.

The later models like the 2007-8 iMacs, Mac Minis with better graphics and MacBook Pros could, but the original Core solo even if upgraded to a Core2Duo 2.67 and 4GB could never go past Mountain Lion, and was even a push with Lion without 4GB ram.

The Intel GMA950/3000 chipsets in those just were not capable. They were probably most stable on Snow Leopard though, and that OS still got security updates for 8 years.

Anything better than those entry levels that had discrete graphics, like the 2007 iMacs and the 2007 MBP's, yeah, they could probably run El Capitan, and can also run Windows 10, but not gonna be a fun time...

ArnoldPalmer

kiwifarms.net
- Normal keyboards last long enough especially considering they're much cheaper. I've had my current one for like four years and I literally make a living pushing computar botan all day.
- Key caps are removable on a normal keyboard too, of course. I don't think I've ever owned a keyboard that didn't have removable caps.
- Bruh, how often do people swap out their key caps and change layouts? This is a reach. Anyway, so long as all the caps are the same size, you can do this with a normal keyboard too - see above.

You're proving my case that you've convinced yourselves the difference is far more meaningful than it is. But you do you.
They objectively feel better to use. That should be enough of a reason.

ArnoldPalmer

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, nah. It's the same as that "just as good" argument you see when people talk about firearms. No, your cast trunnion AK isn't just as good as a forged, and your shitty $15 keyboard that flexes with every keypress isn't as good as even the cheapest mechanical on the market.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of superior engineering. Even Apple were better at it 30 years ago.

Last edited:

Least Concern

kiwifarms.net
Bloomberg: Apple Plans to Announce Move to Its Own Mac Chips at WWDC (a)

The Worldwide Developers Conference, a developer-focused multi-day conference focused on third-party developers for Apple devices, will start on June 22. For obvious reasons it'll be online-only this year. The scuttlebutt this Bloomberg reporter has heard is saying Apple will announce the ARMac then and start releasing the hardware next year.

Inside Apple, tests of new Macs with the Arm-based chips have shown sizable improvements over Intel-powered versions, specifically in graphics performance and apps using artificial intelligence, the people said. Apple’s processors are also more power-efficient than Intel’s, which may mean thinner and lighter Mac laptops in the future.…

At the conference, Apple is also readying updates to its other operating systems -- iOS, iPadOS, tvOS and watchOS -- with changes to augmented-reality capabilities, deeper integration with outside apps and services, and improved Apple Watch fitness features. A big priority is improving the performance of its mobile software after last year’s release, iOS 13, suffered from several issues.
The company is working on at least three of its own Mac processors, known as systems-on-a-chip, with the first based on the A14 processor in the next iPhone. In addition to the main central processing unit, there will be a graphics processing unit and a Neural Engine for handling machine learning, a popular and powerful type of AI, the people said. In the past, Apple has made chips for specific Mac functions, such as security.
Hmm. Let's see how this goes.

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Select multiple items in Panther (10.3) and do "get info":

- get one summary of all items

Do the same thing in Lion (10.7):

- get multiple summaries for each and every item

what is this shit
10 or less items, multiple summaries for each and every item. 11+, one summary of all items. Worked like that since Tiger.
--

As for ARM chips, that could be interesting, since Apple makes the T2 processors which are in modern Macs (2017-18 onwards), and they handle encrypted storage, secure booting, sound, video encoding, etc. There's not a lot of info on them, but in encoding tests, they're solidly between the 1st and 3rd Windows PCs.

They had teething issues early on with the T1 and early T2s, but they seem to have been hammered out.

Beyond that, there's also the more common ones you'd see, the A10X (10 nm), which handles the Apple TV 4k, but is fairly obsolete now.

And the most common ones, the A12X (iPad Pros 2018) and A12Z (iPad Pro 2020). The A12s (7 nm) are about 30-40% faster then A10s, but the only difference between X and Z is the Z is a later version, and has minor speed boosts due to having the a 4th core enabled.

There's also a A13 (7 nm), which is in the iPhone 11s, and the iPhone SE 2020.
--

Now, there'd have to be some sort of emulation process from Intel to ARM, and I'm not entirely sure how the A12s compare to an Intel or AMD processor, but it could be interesting.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
10 or less items, multiple summaries for each and every item. 11+, one summary of all items. Worked like that since Tiger.
Maybe odd view, but I think OS X had the best design in 10.3. No multiple summaries for multiple items, no Spotlight or Siri for finding files, good Classic support (if you like old stuff)...

• Agree
Reactions: A Weddell Seal

Least Concern

kiwifarms.net
Maybe odd view, but I think OS X had the best design in 10.3. No multiple summaries for multiple items, no Spotlight or Siri for finding files, good Classic support (if you like old stuff)...
I've gotten so used to using Spotlight for launching apps that I think it would be hard to go back to the old way of switching to the Finder, picking the Applications folder, and double-clicking on the desired app icon. I'd also find it tough to deal with not having Dark Mode again.

My biggest question is if they are going to make ARM "pro" Macs out of the gate, because I can't imagine that being anything but a disaster since ARM can't emulate 64-bit x86 software.
Not in hardware, no. Presumably Apple will do what they did with the PowerPC to Intel switchover; bundle a software emulator with the OS for half a decade or so which would allow it to run apps which haven't been compiled for the new hardware yet. I still would really prefer to not have to emulate stuff like Windows machines, though.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
the old way
Another old feature I like is putting a folder in the dock. Holding down the mouse on it makes it a Windows 95-98 Start menu-like thing. But at least as early as Lion, it's this exceptional iPhone-inspired popup window BS instead with it.

Least Concern

kiwifarms.net
Another old feature I like is putting a folder in the dock. Holding down the mouse on it makes it a Windows 95-98 Start menu-like thing. But at least as early as Lion, it's this exceptional iPhone-inspired popup window BS instead with it.
If you put a folder in the Dock, then right-click and select "View folder as: List," you get a menu. Is that what you're looking for?

folder.png

In other news… Credit cards are a racket, but Apple has started a program by which you can effectively buy Apple hardware with a zero-interest loan if you use the Apple Card. Details on MacRumors. Apparently they've already been doing this for iPhones, but now you can go ahead and get a full-fledged Mac and pay for it over a year. I don't have to buy a new system just yet, but when I do this just might get me to sign up for that goddamn credit card… Well, I guess that's how they get you.

Joe Swanson

kiwifarms.net
Not in hardware, no. Presumably Apple will do what they did with the PowerPC to Intel switchover; bundle a software emulator with the OS for half a decade or so which would allow it to run apps which haven't been compiled for the new hardware yet. I still would really prefer to not have to emulate stuff like Windows machines, though.
That could work for Intel machines running ARM applications leading up to the switch in full, but not vice versa as MacOS as of Catalina only runs 64 bit applications, which so far have not been able to be emulated on a ARM platform. So apple really shot themselves in the foot by axing 32 bit support

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Least Concern

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you put a folder in the Dock, then right-click and select "View folder as: List," you get a menu. Is that what you're looking for?
huh...

I didn't know that was even a thing.

Thanks for the info!

(I still like the way Panther did it better though.)

Smurfskii

Emperor Showa
kiwifarms.net
way too expensive nowadays, I look forward to buying Xi Jingping's special Xiaomi phones, cheap & CCP can see everything I do, I hope they like 4 tanks 1 guy.1592270558257.png
also their iMacs are absolute shit, they die if you format them, but you practically have to because some idiot in your family downloaded MacCleaner, the only real OS virus back in 2013, correct me if wrong. I've been using Iphone8 and the phones that have come after it are absolute shit if you ask me.

• Agree
Reactions: Pissmaster

Smurfskii

Emperor Showa
kiwifarms.net
How does that end up happening, I've formatted several IMacs in my day and been able to reinstall the OS
Everytime I formatted an iMac it never had the performance it had before the format, whether it was optimization issues or not booting at all, just dont download MacCleaner and you'll be fine

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Joe Swanson
Tags
None