Apple Thread - The most overrated technology brand?

What killed Steve Jobs?

• Pancreatic Cancer

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • AIDS from having gay sex with Tim Cook

Votes: 111 86.0%

• Total voters

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Today's WWDC day, frens. The keynote is scheduled to happen at 10:00 AM California time.

Last-minute scuttlebutt is that new hardware announcements have been cancelled thanks to coof affecting the supply line, though I'm unclear on if that refers to specific new devices (a new iMac was expected to be announced) or if it will include the ARM switch as a whole. I'm still hoping those tracking beacon things still make the cut but I know those were iffy to be announced in the first place.

A leaker on Twitter is saying we'll have an announcement of a new macOS called Big Sur which will have a UI "redesign" and iOS will gain Android-like widgets on the home screen.

SickNastyBastard

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ive seen so many developers with macbooks and they swear by them. I definitely dont get why. Im a windows guy myself, there. Is nothing i like about the different Apple IOS's

• Autistic
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

Joe Swanson

kiwifarms.net
ARM Macs were just announced entailing:
Final Cut Pro is apparently already available along with Adobe Software
and Microsoft Office
Applications apparently can be compiled both for x86 and and ARM via Apple development Software, but so far no mention of x86 emulation NVM they just announced Rosetta 2
You can virtualize Linux, but no mentions of Bootcamp or Windows
No actual benchmarks but they showed Shadow of the Tomb Raider under Rosetta 2, and despite the guy saying it was smooth, it looks pretty choppy
As expected, ARM Macs can run IPhone and IPad apps natively
First ARM Macs expecting to release this year, with the switch expected to conclude in 2 years
New Intel Macs still coming out, and supposedly being supported "for years to come"

As a first impression I'd say they knocked it out of the park, but we've yet to see real benchmarks so who knows how good they actually will be

Last edited:

Least Concern

kiwifarms.net
Yyyyyep. They're calling it "Apple Silicon." We're gonna be going back to universal binaries - Intel and Apple Silicon code in the same binary. They say they've already got Adobe on board - Adobe was notoriously slow to migrate after the Intel switch. They say Microsoft Office is already running too. macOS Big Sur will have a "Rosetta 2" for running Intel-only apps on the new hardware. They demoed an emulated version of one of the new Tomb Raiders briefly, so maybe we'll be able to keep our Steam library around for a while after all. No new hardware was announced specifically, but they say they will launch some before the end of the year. They promised to continue supporting Intel hardware for the indeterminate future.

I'm sure we'll get more details as the week progresses. Time will tell if this was a good move or yet another 2020 disaster, I suppose, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Joe Swanson

kiwifarms.net
So maybe we'll be able to keep our Steam library around for a while after all.
Don't hold your breath. Many smaller studios that can barely justify porting their software to MacOS from Windows now following the axing of 32 bit support will certainly have no motivation to, especially once they no longer update Intel Macs, and with IOS apps being able to run natively on the machine it is more likely the app store will take over as the platform of choice for those unfortunate to play games on a Mac

Least Concern

kiwifarms.net
Don't hold your breath. Many smaller studios that can barely justify porting their software to MacOS from Windows now following the axing of 32 bit support will certainly have no motivation to, especially once they no longer update Intel Macs, and with IOS apps being able to run natively on the machine it is more likely the app store will take over as the platform of choice for those unfortunate to play games on a Mac
I'm not even talking about new games at this point. I'm just talking about keeping the ones I have. If that is at least possible for a couple more years, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I will laugh my fucking ass off if they drop support for intel after only a couple years like they did with PPC. Just fuck all the consoomers who shelled out a ton for a Mac Pro.
To be fair, consoomers are not shelling out tons for Mac Pros. Pros are. And we didn't see any benchmarks today but I'm willing to bet that it'll be a couple years before Apple Silicon can match the power of the new cheese grater.

Joe Swanson

kiwifarms.net
I'm not even talking about new games at this point. I'm just talking about keeping the ones I have.
well considering the microstutter during shadow of the tomb raider, I'd assume the Rosetta 2 emulation will only really be serviceable with for smaller and older games on your average ARM Mac, that is until they inevitably drop Rosetta support

I will laugh my fucking ass off if they drop support for intel after only a couple years like they did with PPC. Just fuck all the consoomers who shelled out a ton for a Mac Pro.
Thats an almost 100% certainty once they create a ARM Mac Pro

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This was the logical last step on their march towards a "walled garden" approach to absolutely fucking everything. I give them 5 years before iOS and macOS "unify" once and for all and they begin phasing the Mac out altogether. This will slowly scare off any developers doing non-iOS work and combined with the shitty quality of Mac hardware lately this seems like the gradual death of Apple producing general computing devices.
Ive seen so many developers with macbooks and they swear by them. I definitely dont get why. Im a windows guy myself, there. Is nothing i like about the different Apple IOS's
They liked them because they were x86 laptops running a UNIX-like OS that could generally run most Linux programs natively. You had the added benefit of being able to develop for both iOS and Android from the same machine. Up until the last couple of years, you were also guaranteed a pretty good hardware quality without having to worry about comparing PC manufacturers and specs of different models. I got a solid 8 years out of my MacBook Air. No one in their right mind should consider an Apple laptop after all the keyboard defects and removal of ports though.

Last edited:

SickNastyBastard

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This was the logical last step on their march towards a "walled garden" approach to absolutely fucking everything. I give them 5 years before iOS and macOS "unify" once and for all and they begin phasing the Mac out altogether. This will slowly scare off any developers doing non-iOS work and combined with the shitty quality of Mac hardware lately this seems like the gradual death of Apple producing general computing devices.

They liked them because they were x86 laptops running a UNIX-like OS that could generally run most Linux programs natively. You had the added benefit of being able to develop for both iOS and Android from the same machine. Up until the last couple of years, you were also guaranteed a pretty good hardware quality without having to worry about comparing PC manufacturers and specs of different models. I got a solid 8 years out of my MacBook Air. No one in their right mind should consider an Apple laptop after all the keyboard defects though.
I see logic in that, but I think I was more surprised that just like a week ago dudes were using them. You can say what you want about Microsoft, But VS Code and VS Community are some quality IDEs that have a bunch of add-on support for even languages like Golang. I did Java using intellij, it wasn't bad. I just prefer Visual Studio. I mean, I also preferred TFS over Git because it was just better looking, better layout and real integrated. I never cared about looking into what Git has over TFS, but I fucking hate working with git.

• Agree
Reactions: Tookie

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I see logic in that, but I think I was more surprised that just like a week ago dudes were using them. You can say what you want about Microsoft, But VS Code and VS Community are some quality IDEs that have a bunch of add-on support for even languages like Golang. I did Java using intellij, it wasn't bad. I just prefer Visual Studio. I mean, I also preferred TFS over Git because it was just better looking, better layout and real integrated. I never cared about looking into what Git has over TFS, but I fucking hate working with git.
Don't underestimate the iOS factor. For whatever reason, every client I've run across looking for mobile development wants it exclusively iOS or maybe with Android if it can be cross-compiled as an afterthought with no additional cost. Apple's laptops in particular are still well-regarded and I think a lot of developers end up opting for an Apple laptop coupled with a PC desktop if they're forced to have a Mac around (that's what I did).

SickNastyBastard

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Don't underestimate the iOS factor. For whatever reason, every client I've run across looking for mobile development wants it exclusively iOS or maybe with Android if it can be cross-compiled as an afterthought with no additional cost. Apple's laptops in particular are still well-regarded and I think a lot of developers end up opting for an Apple laptop coupled with a PC desktop if they're forced to have a Mac around (that's what I did).
My phone does standard phone stuff, lets me check emails and plays music. I never use it outside that. I think a lot of companies would have just been better off making an app that just links to their websight with responsive design. But I'm dumb and don't do mobile apps.

You did objective-c/swift work right? Never touched either, but I heard Objective-C sucked to work with. And I never touched swift either. Did you enjoy working with that kinda stack?

• Autistic

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You did objective-c/swift work right? Never touched either, but I heard Objective-C sucked to work with. And I never touched swift either. D
It was absolute cancer. I'm not a huge fan of native app development in general but I hated dealing with iOS in particular.

I rarely touch front-ends nowadays, but when I have to there are things like Ionic, Expo, and React Native that can deploy to web, iOS, and Android at once. Unless you're doing game development you're probably better off using a Javascript or Typescript framework and cross-compiling it using one of those.

Reactions: SickNastyBastard

SickNastyBastard

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was absolute cancer. I'm not a huge fan of native app development in general but I hated dealing with iOS in particular.

I rarely touch front-ends nowadays, but when I have to there are things like Ionic, Expo, and React Native that can deploy to web, iOS, and Android at once. Unless you're doing game development you're probably better off using a Javascript or Typescript framework and cross-compiling it using one of those.
Is React Native just React JS?
I'm a big fan of typescript, it somehow got generic on to Javascript. I hate doing JS or dealing with execution context. And before ES6, prototypes were ugly as hell. I think their "object" are still prototypes, just formatted different. But I don't touch front end either. I've been doing my own project and haven't gotten to the coding stage because I had no clue how much shit I needed to know about radio to even get the dongles. But I'm pretty sure I'm using kafka after I get part of it out, but unfortunately I then have to add a JVM :(

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is React Native just React JS?
I'm a big fan of typescript, it somehow got generic on to Javascript. I hate doing JS or dealing with execution context. And before ES6, prototypes were ugly as hell. I think their "object" are still prototypes, just formatted different. But I don't touch front end either. I've been doing my own project and haven't gotten to the coding stage because I had no clue how much shit I needed to know about radio to even get the dongles. But I'm pretty sure I'm using kafka after I get part of it out, but unfortunately I then have to add a JVM :(
React Native is a framework built on top of React JS. It's got some modules that grant access to native phone functions and enables cross-compiling. I personally like Ionic or Cordova with an Angular framework on my personal projects, but the people I work with who actually get paid to deal with front-ends all prefer React Native.

• Dumb

SickNastyBastard

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I couldn't do front end, I realized I was an embedded guy. My project is insanely large and going to need everything from React apps to UWB radio transceivers, ML,DL. I will say this like a boundless potential to build to your imagination and fascination dude. If you ever get a chance, check out SDR's or RTL-SDR's. if you haven't. Thanks for answering my question brosky

Reactions: Tookie
Tags
None