Apple Thread - The most overrated technology brand?

What killed Steve Jobs?

• Pancreatic Cancer

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • AIDS from having gay sex with Tim Cook

Votes: 122 85.3%

• Total voters

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Not strictly related to Apple, but: Nvidia in Advanced Talks to Buy SoftBank’s Chip Company Arm

Despite the name, SoftBank is a Japanese tech conglomerate that acquired the Arm holding company a few years back. I'm kind of surprised that they'd consider selling it off rather than just holding on to it and continue to let the licensing fees roll in (alongside Apple devices, remember that almost every single Android device sold around the planet has an ARM chip too), but in recent years they've been doing some angel-style venture capital investment in companies that haven't done too well, most notoriously in the WeWork international chain of coworking spaces, so maybe that's why they're looking to recoup some easy cash.

The Arm patent library with Nvidia's engineering know-how might be a potent combo, but some licensees which are competitors of Nvidia might be concerned about whether they'll play fair after the buyout.

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The thread's poll should include an option for "Jobs being an insane hippy who took homeopathic cures to deal with his cancer instead of listening to doctors."

Not strictly related to Apple, but: Nvidia in Advanced Talks to Buy SoftBank’s Chip Company Arm

Despite the name, SoftBank is a Japanese tech conglomerate that acquired the Arm holding company a few years back. I'm kind of surprised that they'd consider selling it off rather than just holding on to it and continue to let the licensing fees roll in (alongside Apple devices, remember that almost every single Android device sold around the planet has an ARM chip too), but in recent years they've been doing some angel-style venture capital investment in companies that haven't done too well, most notoriously in the WeWork international chain of coworking spaces, so maybe that's why they're looking to recoup some easy cash.

The Arm patent library with Nvidia's engineering know-how might be a potent combo, but some licensees which are competitors of Nvidia might be concerned about whether they'll play fair after the buyout.
LTT theorized that the reason SoftBank is selling Arm now is because the head of the Chinese branch is an insane fuck head who was fired but hasn't left his post. He's hired guards and hasn't let the British branch of ARM onto the property in weeks. And softbank wants to clean their hands of this situation. He was fired for "running a sideline investment fund alleging "conflicts of interest.""

Last edited:

Pinochet Was Right

And he did nothing wrong
kiwifarms.net
LTT theorized that the reason SoftBank is selling Arm now is because the head of the Chinese branch is an insane fuck head who was fired but hasn't left his post. He's hired guards and hasn't let the British branch of ARM onto the property in weeks. And softbank wants to clean their hands of this situation. He was fired for "running a sideline investment fund alleging "conflicts of interest.""
China is Asshoe.

BadTakeCrucifier

They should have never gave you niggas Twitter
kiwifarms.net
PC: You can buy the highest quality of individual parts to your liking, assemble your own PC to spec and replace the parts as needed. High-end rendering power is unmatched.
Apple: Laptop got slightly too hot due to being manufactured without a fucking cooling fan, cost to repair is $3000 and your hard drive will be wiped in the process.

What kind of retarded faggot do you have to be to think Apple products are good?

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
PC: You can buy the highest quality of individual parts to your liking, assemble your own PC to spec and replace the parts as needed. High-end rendering power is unmatched.
Apple: Laptop got slightly too hot due to being manufactured without a fucking cooling fan, cost to repair is $3000 and your hard drive will be wiped in the process.

What kind of retarded faggot do you have to be to think Apple products are good?
No but Mac is good for design, I study design. Can you help me to install the program[Windows] - that's actually happened to me. Apple is a cult.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And as I said, MacOS has terrible backwards compatibility. Like you need 10.20 or whatever or higher to run the latest stuff.

Meanwhile some current PC stuff can even run on Windows XP.

And there's the issue of software availability.

And the whole "overpriced and underpowered" thing.

On the plus side, at least the OS is simple to use.

• Agree
Reactions: BadTakeCrucifier

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Look, I appreciate the concern from all of you, but it can stop. A quarter of a century of hearing "hey guiz did you know max are like really expensive and less cusotmizable compared to pcs like a new macosx powerbook pro air costs like $5000 whats up w/ that" hasn't changed my mind yet, so hearing it again from you probably won't have much effect. I'm not an idiot and I'm already aware of the benefits of commoditized PC hardware and the Windows operating system compared to the limited hardware and software choices on the Mac side. Maybe some day I will decide on balance that using a platform other than the Mac will benefit me, but that day hasn't come yet. I will make that decision for myself, however.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And as I said, MacOS has terrible backwards compatibility. Like you need 10.20 or whatever or higher to run the latest stuff.

Meanwhile some current PC stuff can even run on Windows XP.

And there's the issue of software availability.
At worst, you might need 10.13 or so- several versions back. Given that upgrades have been free for seven or eight years at this point, that's not a big stretch. I've upgraded Macs remotely from 10.7, 10.8 versions to 10.14- 9 major releases- with less issues than what Windows 10 does when it runs upgrades in the background.

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The hardware also has issues with upgrading though. Just a slightly older Mac and it can't install 10.whatever.

At least OS 10.* doesn't auto-update AFAIK.
They started cutting official support for things like the last model years of the ridiculously upgradeable 2006-2012 Mac Pro line in Catalina, in 2019. Even those still work fine with 10.13, which will get security updates (as far as you need them) for the next few years.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but it is far from the kind of situation you get with say, Android phones.

Joe Swanson

Famed TV Cripple
kiwifarms.net
The hardware also has issues with upgrading though. Just a slightly older Mac and it can't install 10.whatever.

At least OS 10.* doesn't auto-update AFAIK.
It doesn't force you, but it spams you every time there is a security update unless you turn on automatic updates, and even if you ignore said spam and install said security updates you still have to avoid accidentally upgrading to the new now 10.whatever, which really screwed a lot of people over when Apple removed 32-bit support in Catalina

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ToroidalBoat

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is Apple ever going to make OS 11?

After 10.9, I thought they might, since after 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 is 11, but I guess they decided to say "screw math"...

Now it's 10.10, 10.11, 10.12...

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Apple OS timeline could look odd then:

1984 to 2000: 1 to 9
2000 to 2020: 10
& circa 2020: 11
Depends how you look at it. I'm not 100% across the early 'Mac System' version numbers but they hit System 7 in 1991, and that had several fairly major revisions (though jumping numbers) up to 7.6.1 (by which point it was renamed Mac OS 7.6.1). Mac OS 8 would have been Mac OS 7.7 but Steve Jobs had returned to Apple and as part of his return, they gave the authorized Mac cloners who had licenses up to the last OS 7 release the dick by calling it OS 8.

Between the early 90s and 2020 Apple have transitioned from using the Motorola 68k architecture, through PowerPC, through Intel x86 chips, and are now shifting to their own very tidy ARM silicon. All of those transitions to date have delivered raw performance improvements with near-full backwards compatibility. The new ARM hardware won't be as good as the old Intel chips for virtualizing Windows, but few Mac users have any need to do that.

Tags
None