Apple Thread - The most overrated technology brand?

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

What killed Steve Jobs?

• Pancreatic Cancer

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • AIDS from having gay sex with Tim Cook

Votes: 72 82.8%

• Total voters

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
The Macintosh series was an mistake and Apple should’ve focused on the Apple IIGS hardware instead. I mean for fuck’s sake, they could’ve made a version of the IIGS where it’s an all in one like the Mac and actually call it an Mac.

I was always fascinated by this decision. It seems Apple purposely hobbled the IIGS by throttling the processor for some reason.

• Informative
Reactions: ToroidalBoat

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes I wonder if it was a good thing or not that Commodore dropped the ball.
It's mostly because they dropped the ball. Many Amiga fans were in complete denial about Amiga dying for the longest time, some never recovered. There is this well-known furry artist obsessed with Amiga who still insists in the 2010s on making his webcomic with an Amiga.

But they were genuinely nice machines and were extremely popular in my country.

Floop

I, Scout, humbly present a toast to Miss Pauling!
kiwifarms.net
Whatever genius came up with the Apple TV interface can go fucking burn in hell and eat a thousand dicks. Playing videos on that thing never does what you want it to fucking do.
But other than that Apple good iCloud is literally hooked up to my life support so I have to stick with Apple or else I will die.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I was younger I liked the fruity iMacs. Being used to PC I remember being surprised that you could play StarCraft on them, and I didn’t know how the Mac version handled right click stuff.

Also my favorite Mac is the original Mac Mini. It’s like a vidya console that can run OS 9 and earlier stuff.

Daddy's Little Kitten

Some bitch named Deltresse
kiwifarms.net
The only good product they've had was the iPod classic.

Most Apple users I interact with don't know how to turn off their phones/watches :story:

I like the G3 case.

Reactions: FuckedUp

Jaimas

Fourth Echelon Shitposting Team Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's interesting because as a whole, Apple's basically survived by being the only game in town at several levels. In the 1980s, Apple IIs were the go-to school computer because they were widely available, could use tons of edutainment software, and were cheap per-unit due to massive production runs. In the 90s they mostly survived because video editing was almost entirely mac-based, and by pushing user-friendliness and style over substance, and in more recent times, they survived by appealing to tech hipsters and basically making them impossible to repair.

Ashenthorn

Pricker bush
kiwifarms.net
In the 90s they mostly survived because video editing was almost entirely mac-based
... as well as desktop publishing and the commercial printing industry.

Being used to PC I remember being surprised that you could play StarCraft on them, and I didn’t know how the Mac version handled right click stuff.
Ctrl-clicking for right click has been a thing forever, as well as just plugging in a two button mouse.

Last edited:

Cedric_Eff

No secret, it's the meat. Don't skimp on the meat.
kiwifarms.net
The IIGS was weak but still overpriced. I doubt it would have been as popular in America if it weren't for Apple's deals with American schools. (Directly marketing your products to the clueless exceptional individuals that run schools is one of the smartest things Apple has ever done.). You were better off with an Amiga, Atari, or PC clone.

Macs at least were proper professional workstations where the price tag was much more justified.
The IIGS was weak but still overpriced.
Ay, you are aware that when the IIGS came out, the Mac was more expensive right? The Mac was actually the inferior product (despite the faster processor). Back then, it was cheaper to get the IIGS than the Mac.

• Informative
Reactions: Kot Johansson

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
the Mac was more expensive right?
Yes, Macs were the high-end models. And the early Macs had a big success in the publishing industry where it competed with stuff like Xerox workstations that were even more expensive.

But the IIGS directly competed with computers with better specs (at least the specs people really cared about like memory) for less cost.

Cedric_Eff

No secret, it's the meat. Don't skimp on the meat.
kiwifarms.net
Yes, Macs were the high-end models. And the early Macs had a big success in the publishing industry where it competed with stuff like Xerox workstations that were even more expensive.

But the IIGS directly competed with computers with better specs (at least the specs people really cared about like memory) for less cost.
That’s the weird thing, most of the feature the Mac had could’ve worked on the IIGS Hardware. Especially the color capability and sound capability.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I have two siblings that are huge Apple shills. One of them tried to convince me to get a Mac instead of building a gaming PC.

It's irritating because I don't give a shit about Apple. The only Apple product I ever owned was the 5th generation iPod Nano, and while I love that thing to death I never felt the need to jump on the Apple train. Apple computers these days don't have what I look for in a computer (namely gaming) and I'm perfectly fine with my Galaxy S7; the screen may be scratched to hell but at least it ain't cracked.

Reactions: Mr. 0 and Pixy Misa

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I grew up with classic Macs and the early days of OS X were great. I started to move towards the PC ecosystem in the late 2000's when Apple began to stagnate and shift towards the walled garden model. It is sad to see what they've become, they were a truly innovative company that has been reduced to hawking cell phones to ChiComs.

The last Apple product I bought (and probably will ever buy) was a 2013 11-inch Macbook Air. I wanted something with the form factor and weight of a tablet as an alternative to my main laptop but I don't want a tablet for obvious reasons. It is pretty solid and well-built compared to current Apple laptops but has essentially died this year after the power system yeeted itself due to humidity.

On a related note, if anyone knows of a cheap and durable PC laptop with a similar form factor let me know.

• Informative
Reactions: ToroidalBoat

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Who came up with the brilliant idea of putting side buttons on the Mighty Mouse?

It's so annoying to be selecting text, only to have that cancelled because I accidentally slightly squeezed the stupid things. What are they even for?

(yeah I still use one of those in the current year... a not wireless one)

Jump

kiwifarms.net
Most comfy computer I ever owned was my 2nd hand G5 mac running Tiger (10.4).
The switch to x86 made life better because you had the best of all worlds. You had a It Just Works(tm) OS with a real UNIX(tm) OS underneath so you could x86 opensorse software. The OSX supplemental DVD came with Xcode which gave you gcc and everything else. You could install pkgsrc and homebrew.
Around 10.7 things really started going to shit. It was clear apple stopped caring about the Macintosh with Jobs dead. I will run my current mac for the foreseeable future as long as i can get a current web browser for it.

For a phone I run a really old iphone I replaced the battery in last year. I don't give a shit about smartphones and only have it because it is the only non-google option now that microsoft gave up.

Last edited:

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In QuickTime when you play a video with the "wrong codec*," the error can read "this video can't be played" with the response "tell me more," which is an infuriating response somehow.

*(It's just a video. Why have all these different codecs for playing the thing, especially within a single file format?)

Last edited:

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
"i was writing paper, on a pc, that was like bit bit bit bit bit, like half of my paper was gone..."

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
I was given a 24in Core2Duo iMac and put Lubuntu on it. It's surprising nice to use-everything works, even the iSight so I've been using it for internet. Sadly it has the worst airflow design imaginable so watching a movie makes it incredibly hot so I can't use it for that.

I just picked up a G5 iMac that won't read any Linux live CDs and is iffy with the OSX installer discs. That's my main issue with these, they can be upgraded with Linux but it takes some tinkering and I don't have time for that right now.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I also don't like Spotlight. It has to create indexes on every volume (disk) mounted in order to work. Disabling it screws stuff up. What was wrong with the search feature Panther (10.3) used?

I think Mac and Windows now use those digital voice assistants (Cortana, Siri) as the file search thing, which is even worse.

Tags
None