Apple Thread - The most overrated technology brand?

What killed Steve Jobs?

• Pancreatic Cancer

Votes: 32 13.0%
  • AIDS from having gay sex with Tim Cook

Votes: 214 87.0%

• Total voters

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Athough Apple isn't on the verge now due to its dominance in the cellphone markets there homecomputers only attract Apple fanboys or those who are on the niche and need software you can only get on MacOs such as Garageband.
You forget idiot women, they're a large part of it. You can show them Ubuntu and say it's the new mac and they will agree that it's very good and much easier than Windows.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Funny how when he left for a decade Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy due to mismanagement.
tbh, that decade was hard for everything that wasn't a PC. The PC was everywhere, the hardware was in constant flux and the "clones" had a lot of companies developing very cool hardware for relatively cheap and the open platform really encouraged all that. It's not so much that Apple was the only one running red numbers, it's more like that Apple was one of the very few that survived.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You forget idiot women, they're a large part of it. You can show them Ubuntu and say it's the new mac and they will agree that it's very good and much easier than Windows.
I mean, they won't be wrong. Even fucking Gnome is significantly more comprehensible to configure than Windows 10. At the rate they're going, the important parts of the main .cpl's will be in 'Settings' by 2030 at the earliest.

Ashenthorn

Pricker bush
kiwifarms.net
The next stop on my search for a satisfactory workflow was something like "shouldn't I be able to do this using Terminal?" And that led to my previous post.
Jeezus Christ just buy a copy of BBEdit.

These features include (but aren’t limited to): grep pattern
matching; search and replace across multiple files; project definition
tools; function navigation and syntax coloring for numerous source code
languages; code folding; FTP and SFTP open and save; Git and Subversion
integration; AppleScript; macOS Unix scripting support; text and code
completion; and of course a complete set of robust HTML markup tools.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It hurts to say it but Apple was the Amiga that lived, in a way.
I mean, when it comes down to it, Apple was saved through leveraging the work of NeXT.. also a Jobs creation. Also a victim of the x86 monoculture.

The Intel h8rs tried to drag it down. But the forces of CPU architectural multilateralism were stronger.

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
New details on Fantasian, the Apple Arcade exclusive RPG being made by Mistwalker, have come out.

It's being made by Hironobu Sakaguchi, and composed by Nobuo Uematsu.

a01d8914-c9f9-45b7-a591-8a65920ed783-apple-arcade.JPG

The backgrounds are handmade dioramas, over 150 of them, and it features 'Dimengeon', which lets you store random encounters for later.

https://youtu.be/9guC7V_Cvdk - Story
https://youtu.be/ePFgyBtvqQU - Features

Ashenthorn

Pricker bush
kiwifarms.net
At this point, I'm stuck on the "portable workflow" kick. I use more than one system, and I want to ensure I'm able to use more-or-less the same workflow on both Mac OS and Linux. That's landed me on Emacs.
It does have CLI/Terminal integration...

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 6.19.55 AM.png

Kot Johansson

kot
kiwifarms.net
Official development of TenFourFox and Classilla is ceasing.
From tenfourfox.blogspot.com (archive)

TenFourFox FPR32 will be the last official feature parity release of TenFourFox. (A beta will come out this week, stay tuned.) However, there are still many users of TenFourFox — the update server reports about 2,000 daily checkins on average — and while nothing has ever been owed or promised I also appreciate that many people depend on it, so there will be a formal transition period. After FPR32 is released TenFourFox will drop to security parity and the TenFourFox site will become a placeholder. Security parity means that the browser will only receive security updates plus certain critical fixes (as I define them, such as crash wallpaper, basic adblock and the font blacklist). I will guarantee security and stability patches through and including Firefox 93 (scheduled for September 7) to the best of my ability, which is also the point at which Firefox 78ESR will stop support, and I will continue to produce, generate and announce builds of TenFourFox with those security updates on the regular release schedule with chemspills as required. There will be no planned beta releases after FPR32 but Tenderapp will remain available to triage bugfixes for new changes only.
[...]
Classilla, for its part, is entering "hobby mode" today and I will do no further official public work on it. However, I am releasing the work I've already done on 9.3.4, such as it is, plus support for using Crypto Ancienne for self-hosted TLS 1.2 if you are a Power MachTen user (or running it in Classic or under Mac OS in Rhapsody). You can read more about that on Old VCR, my companion retrocomputing blog.
From oldvcr.blogspot.com (archive)
Now that I've announced TenFourFox is winding down, let's just recognize the inevitable and officially declare that Classilla is no longer supported. I may still do minor work on it for my own purposes (for example, like issuing updates to stelae that I think might be helpful to other people, and if so I will post announcements about that here), but I don't make any guarantees on when or in what fashion or even if I will publicly release such work, and I will not be accepting bug reports or feature requests. Effective immediately classilla.org is now a placeholder with static documents. Files have been placed on a new permanent location on the Floodgap Gopher server, though files on SourceForge will remain as a faster HTTP mirror. Report-A-Bug is disabled and the Github project (which was never really used) is read-only as of now and will eventually be removed. Today Classilla is once again just a "hobby" project and I'm sorry I couldn't make it more than that.
[...]
To sort of make it up to folks, today I'm also releasing the incomplete work I have done towards 9.3.4. I'm calling this a "beta" since it hasn't had a great deal of testing, but you can use it or 9.3.3 (there are no substantial differences in security content). 9.3.4b has updates to layout, eliminating the old manual "slow scroll" option and automatically doing a more conservative repaint on sites that used to scroll incorrectly. Unfortunately this is sometimes also slower and occasionally dramatically so, and some sites will flicker as well, but no site will render worse than 9.3.3. It also has a contributed fix to JavaScript to fix a problem with high-precision math (due to a compiler bug in the version of CodeWarrior Pro 7 I use), and adds a convenience hot key (Command-Shift-Z) to toggle between "no style" and the default style sheet so that a badly rendering page can immediately be destyled.
Today is a sad day for PowerPC Mac users. Hopefully someone will fork these browsers and resume development.

Last edited:

Pickle Dick

JULAY
kiwifarms.net
Official development of TenFourFox and Classilla is ceasing.
From tenfourfox.blogspot.com (archive)

From oldvcr.blogspot.com (archive)

Today is a sad day for PowerPC Mac users. Hopefully someone will fork these browsers and resume development.
Maintaining development on a browser that only works on Macs with a long-disused architecture can be a daunting task. Hopefully someone resumes the project in one way or another.

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Maintaining development on a browser that only works on Macs with a long-disused architecture can be a daunting task. Hopefully someone resumes the project in one way or another.
Especially considering anything this old probably has long-unpatched and known vulnerabilities. I had enough problems keeping 10.6.8 reasonably functional until my MacBook (the first model made) finally actually physically crapped out after 12 years of incessant abuse and being constantly on most of that time. Arctic Fox is pretty good with these relatively ancient and unsupported machines, although I eventually just switched over to running Peppermint.

Joe Swanson

Famed Tv Cripple
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Especially considering anything this old probably has long-unpatched and known vulnerabilities. I had enough problems keeping 10.6.8 reasonably functional until my MacBook (the first model made) finally actually physically crapped out after 12 years of incessant abuse and being constantly on most of that time. Arctic Fox is pretty good with these relatively ancient and unsupported machines, although I eventually just switched over to running Peppermint.
I don't believe Arctic Fox has a PowerPC MacOS port, only a Linux port, but I could be wrong

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I don't believe Arctic Fox has a PowerPC MacOS port, only a Linux port, but I could be wrong
MacBook 1,1 was one of the early Intel ones. I'm actually kind of surprised there was any PowerPC browser still available.

Finder

Я не умею танцевать
kiwifarms.net
Yep. I dont really have much to say except its ugly and the ethernet is part of the power brick (and is optional on the $1200 base model).
View attachment 2103462

View attachment 2103468

View attachment 2103476
I like it honestly, looks better than the last model where it got thicker towards the center.

Not sure how I feel about getting to relive the G3 era again colour wise. Some of the colours are fine, but that purple is gross. I don’t like the white bezels, the contrast against the colour is weird.

Eithernet solution is good, I’m a fan of that. I wonder if there will be a 10BGbps option

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I’ll be honest, I like the design (of the white one). Gives off retro-futuristic vibes, I prefer it to the black-and-silver industrial-design iMacs have had since forever ago. The colors however are absolutely horrid. It probably would’ve looked alright with the muted pastel shades they use on the colored iPads and iPhones which I think look pretty decent, but these colors just look so fucking garish, especially with the huge chin on the bottom.

That being said, who the hell is this for? I’ve found myself asking this more and more with Apple’s “pro” devices. If you want to make a line of thin, lightweight devices that put form over function that’s fine. That’s a design philosophy that works with mobile devices that you’re picking up and lugging around the house every day, or a laptop that might not be your primary workstation where you can afford to skimp on power for portability. But this is a desktop. It, by definition, spends all day sitting on your desk, and should rarely ever need to be moved from it. What’s even the point of making it thin and light?

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
New iPad has an M1 processor. I still think they are trying to merge the iPad and Mac lines and eventually the iPad Pro will just replace the lower end Macbooks. I think the next step will be the ability to run the desktop app store on iPad OS.