Apple Thread - The most overrated technology brand?

• We are being DDoS attacked still and 12,000 people are reading about incest. Expect weird errors. Most should go away by refreshing.

What killed Steve Jobs?

• Pancreatic Cancer

Votes: 32 13.0%
  • AIDS from having gay sex with Tim Cook

Votes: 214 87.0%

• Total voters

Coffee Shits

Did someone say "wattage"?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Ethernet-optional attachment to the power brick is just strange. Having a magnetic attachment on the other end will be an improvement over USB-C power that's constantly falling out, but why would you want a breakaway cable on a desktop model, much less one that does data? I don't know what problem they're trying to solve here.

Ridge Racer

kiwifarms.net
The Ethernet-optional attachment to the power brick is just strange. Having a magnetic attachment on the other end will be an improvement over USB-C power that's constantly falling out, but why would you want a breakaway cable on a desktop model, much less one that does data? I don't know what problem they're trying to solve here.
You know Apple and their hardware. They create problems and have you pay extra for the "solution".

I do like the designs of the new iMac. Basically a modernized version of their G3. Don't like the lack of USB-A and giant chin.

Joe Swanson

Famed Tv Cripple
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That being said, who the hell is this for? I’ve found myself asking this more and more with Apple’s “pro” devices. If you want to make a line of thin, lightweight devices that put form over function that’s fine. That’s a design philosophy that works with mobile devices that you’re picking up and lugging around the house every day, or a laptop that might not be your primary workstation where you can afford to skimp on power for portability. But this is a desktop. It, by definition, spends all day sitting on your desk, and should rarely ever need to be moved from it. What’s even the point of making it thin and light?
The new 24 inch iMacs were designed to fill the same market as the 21 inch, To be a family computer for the tech illiterate.

ditto

kiwifarms.net
New iPad has an M1 processor. I still think they are trying to merge the iPad and Mac lines and eventually the iPad Pro will just replace the lower end Macbooks. I think the next step will be the ability to run the desktop app store on iPad OS.
There are already porting all of the iOS apps to the M1 macs. In fact, if you're an iOS developer you have to opt out of your app appearing in the Mac app store. Lunacy.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
New iPad has an M1 processor. I still think they are trying to merge the iPad and Mac lines and eventually the iPad Pro will just replace the lower end Macbooks. I think the next step will be the ability to run the desktop app store on iPad OS.
I agree. Considering that the main market for Apple computers is people who don’t need to run anything more hardcore than the Adobe suite and probably use their laptop mostly for browsing/YouTube/word processing and other “light” tasks, your options are basically to get a gimped laptop, or to get an iPad that’s slowly crawling toward feature parity with MacOS, which can do all the basic shit your laptop can do... but can also do more by virtue of being a tablet. And the magic keyboard, while incredibly expensive and still not quite perfect in its second iteration, definitely feels like the prototype of a MacBook killer because it gets rid of the #1 reason you’d get a laptop over a tablet in a package that’s honestly not too bad (ignoring the missing function keys).

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
I agree. Considering that the main market for Apple computers is people who don’t need to run anything more hardcore than the Adobe suite and probably use their laptop mostly for browsing/YouTube/word processing and other “light” tasks, your options are basically to get a gimped laptop, or to get an iPad that’s slowly crawling toward feature parity with MacOS, which can do all the basic shit your laptop can do... but can also do more by virtue of being a tablet. And the magic keyboard, while incredibly expensive and still not quite perfect in its second iteration, definitely feels like the prototype of a MacBook killer because it gets rid of the #1 reason you’d get a laptop over a tablet in a package that’s honestly not too bad (ignoring the missing function keys).
When I got my iPad pro a couple of years ago my impression of it after using it for a couple of weeks was it's a tablet that wants to be a laptop.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
When I got my iPad pro a couple of years ago my impression of it after using it for a couple of weeks was it's a tablet that wants to be a laptop.
I'd give it another 2-3 generations before Apple brings an acceptable level of iPad OS/MacOS parity. Right now as a laptop replacement it's just starting to get there, but not quite yet.

DoubleD

kiwifarms.net
You know Apple and their hardware. They create problems and have you pay extra for the "solution".

I do like the designs of the new iMac. Basically a modernized version of their G3. Don't like the lack of USB-A and giant chin.

Ironic isn't it how it was the G3 that ushered in that original USB-A port? Now of course, an optimist who drank all the Apple kool-aid would say that both machines needed to drop the old port types in order to drag the rest of the industry forward. But then again, they said the same thing about the all-USB-C Macbook Pro in 2016, and look how well that hasn't worked out. USB-A is just too popular for its own good. If anything, it's increased in popularity since then (USB-A charging ports built into walls and public transport will take a long time to go away).

There are already porting all of the iOS apps to the M1 macs. In fact, if you're an iOS developer you have to opt out of your app appearing in the Mac app store. Lunacy.

From what I've heard, most developers have already opted out. Either they didn't want the additional support burden of the Mac platform or they realised that people pay $ for iPhone apps but $$$ for the same app on a Mac.

I'd give it another 2-3 generations before Apple brings an acceptable level of iPad OS/MacOS parity. Right now as a laptop replacement it's just starting to get there, but not quite yet.

People said the same thing 2-3 generations ago. But I doubt the Mac and iPad will ever reach feature parity. There are just too many business reasons for them not to. Namely, It would make it that much harder for Apple to sell you both.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
I think it's the other way around, running everything on the phone/pad/iOS store on computers. Phones and tablets are their bread and butter, merging computers into that makes more sense than the other way around. From that a hybrid platform will spawn, spanning from phone to desktop and it will require optional Apple accessories.

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Killing kernel extensions is easily the most fucking retarded thing Apple has done since that moronic keyboard without function keys. It is annoying as fuck and has broken lots of old software for no good reason. And for another matter, they also broke Steam streaming because it relies on a kernel extension. This hasn't been fixed in six goddamn months. That part is on Valve, but seriously fuck this choice.

Even worse, it completely broke VirtualBox.

DoubleD

kiwifarms.net
Slight aside since I normally don't post in this thread, but I'd like to think one of you did this as a troll. Then again it's Apple so I'm not surprised at all.
Apple adds bearded woman emojis to IOS.

Apple aren't the ones to blame here.

A common misconception is that Apple, Google or any of these companies have the final say on which emojis go into their operating systems. That honour actually goes to the Unicode Consortium, of which Apple is one of 14 voting members, alongside other tech giants like Google, Facebook, Netflix and some weird inclusions like the Tamil Virtual Academy.

Whatever Unicode decides becomes the standard for everyone, and is thusly followed by any other company that wishes implement the full unicode spec into its products.

Specific vendors can make changes to the appearance of an emoji without the consortium's oversight, such as Apple rendering the gun (🔫) as a water pistol. And in rare cases a company can implement novel combinations like 🗨️ + 👁️ = 👁️‍🗨️ for the anti-bullying symbol, but that is the only time I have heard of that happening.

Mal0

You wouldn't fuck an app, would you?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't like Apple much, but I admit they make a decent tablet. Got an iPad as a graduation gift a few years ago and it's nice for reading, drawing, and taking notes on.

That being said, Macs are shit but I actually really enjoy MacOS, and if I had a lick of an idea on how to make one and get it stable, I'd make a Hackintosh out of one of the old gaming PC's I have laying around.

Dick Justice

If you say "normie" you are that which you condemn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That being said, Macs are shit but I actually really enjoy MacOS, and if I had a lick of an idea on how to make one and get it stable, I'd make a Hackintosh out of one of the old gaming PC's I have laying around.
Then just put an idiot-proof linux distro on one of them. It'll get you anywhere from half to most of the way there depending on your use case and cut your teeth on the fundamentals so when you finally do hackintosh you're not belly flopping into the deep end.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
because it gets rid of the #1 reason you’d get a laptop over a tablet in a package that’s honestly not too bad (ignoring the missing function keys).

being able to install shit from outside the App Store is a biggin'

It's more or less a given that you can find a free, usually open source app for one small task you need to do on a desktop OS, but that just ain't the case on iOS. And there are just so many apps out there that either sell individual features piecemeal, or worse, only make the full version available as a subscription plan.

Doesn't help that piracy and jailbreaking is a real pain in the ass and just doesn't have a very strong scene, so if you need an app that demands a subscription fee, there's no guarantee at all that a cracked copy will be floating around.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
being able to install shit from outside the App Store is a biggin'

It's more or less a given that you can find a free, usually open source app for one small task you need to do on a desktop OS, but that just ain't the case on iOS. And there are just so many apps out there that either sell individual features piecemeal, or worse, only make the full version available as a subscription plan.

Doesn't help that piracy and jailbreaking is a real pain in the ass and just doesn't have a very strong scene, so if you need an app that demands a subscription fee, there's no guarantee at all that a cracked copy will be floating around.
Depends on what you’re looking to do with it. With the Shortcuts stuff, you actually have a surprising amount of customization that I never imagined would be possible on stock, non-jailbroken iOS. I was able to find a program that could batch-rename files from the Files app, and wrote my own shortcut to automatically change my wallpaper every day including a blurred version for the home screen randomly picked from a selected folder. Hell, you can even assign custom app icons (albeit with some trickery) that work mostly seamlessly, which is something I NEVER expected to be able to do on stock iOS. There’s also apps that expand what shortcuts can do (to varying degrees of jankiness) and we’re still in the early days here.

Sideloading is also pretty easy nowadays, provided you cough up $20-30 yearly for a paid signing service. Not ideal, but possible. You can also do it for free but there’s a ton of annoyances associated with that.

But yeah, maybe I should restate: an iPad is not enough (and will probably never be enough) to replace your main computer, but if you’re using your laptop primarily as a “second device” that you use more for convenience than productivity, iPads are already edging into that territory. Not there yet and probably won’t be for a while, but it’s insane the progress that’s been made in the last couple of years.

Last edited: