Apple Thread - The most overrated technology brand?

What killed Steve Jobs?

• Pancreatic Cancer

Votes: 32 13.3%
  • AIDS from having gay sex with Tim Cook

Votes: 208 86.7%

• Total voters

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
The new iMac models are less than half an inch thick. So, they could fit an RJ-45 port in, just, but it wouldn't fit behind the screen and whatever space it took up in the chin would be effectively dead space. They give the same reason for the exclusion of USB-A ports, though that's considerably less of an issue than RJ-45 would be.
Normal ethernet ports can be pretty tiny, about the size as a regular USB port. It's a hassle for anyone not familiar with how they work.
slimethernet.jpg

Celestial Being

I came here to laugh at you.
kiwifarms.net
I got the 12 Pro Max and while its a pretty awesome phone, I fucking hate notifications on iOS.

Android lets me just pull down from the top at any time and interact with emails, texts, calls etc.

iOS opens a whole panel and I cant even quick respond to a text. Maybe I am just dumb since I haven't used a iOS device in half a decade, but its really annoying and I would think that Apple would have a robust notification system.

But yeah, pretty sweet phone so far besides the obvious learning curve. The LIDAR gimmick is very impressive. I was able to lay in bed and accurately measure a poster on my far wall and it kind of blew my mind. We are moving soonish and I can see it being really handy in the short term.

Magsafe is also really nice, wireless charging on my old phone basically didn't function because it could never get positioned correctly. I got a cheap Aukey one and it works fine.

Does anyone have a good ios app for emails that pushes them out to me in real time? I notice I sometimes dont get them right away on the built in mail app.

Bins

LGBTQ+, BIPOC, Autistic, Nonbinary, infinitfat
kiwifarms.net
I got the 12 Pro Max and while its a pretty awesome phone, I fucking hate notifications on iOS.

Android lets me just pull down from the top at any time and interact with emails, texts, calls etc.

iOS opens a whole panel and I cant even quick respond to a text. Maybe I am just dumb since I haven't used a iOS device in half a decade, but its really annoying and I would think that Apple would have a robust notification system.

But yeah, pretty sweet phone so far besides the obvious learning curve. The LIDAR gimmick is very impressive. I was able to lay in bed and accurately measure a poster on my far wall and it kind of blew my mind. We are moving soonish and I can see it being really handy in the short term.

Magsafe is also really nice, wireless charging on my old phone basically didn't function because it could never get positioned correctly. I got a cheap Aukey one and it works fine.

Does anyone have a good ios app for emails that pushes them out to me in real time? I notice I sometimes dont get them right away on the built in mail app.
iOS hides a lot of it's functionality behind HapticTouch (aka long pressing). It never really makes this clear or intuitive, but you can quick respond to some things (such as texts) by long pressing in the notifications panel, or swiping to the left and selecting view. Or if you're using your phone atm and you get a text, dragging the notification down. This also works on a lot of apps on the homescreen to give increased function (e.g. Instagram you can jump straight into a new post, camera, or chats). Again, iOS never makes this clear, or people forget it.

For email, the popular apps are Gmail (for gmail), Spark, and Outlook. I'm sure they all run analytics on your email if you use them, and store your login credentials on their servers, but you get push notifications. Gmail and Apple have a spergfest about which systems they use, which is why you can't get push notifications if you're using the stock app and Gmail. Apple refuses to use whatever Google is pushing, and vice versa

Last edited:

Ita Mori

💔Turn me into a street💔
kiwifarms.net
Who the fuck arranges their desk like that at HOME? I don’t think I’ve seen a SINGLE setup where someone’s desk isn’t up against the wall.
Never mind that; how many people dress, look (I can't tell what ingredients were used to make that shitskin) like that and have homes like that?
This looks like an ad targeted at aliens instead of the average Joe and Tayquan who lines up for iPhone launches.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Normal ethernet ports can be pretty tiny, about the size as a regular USB port. It's a hassle for anyone not familiar with how they work.
View attachment 2142451
I had a laptop that did that for the ethernet and I think the phone too
I never encountered any issue with them because anytime you're swinging it around you're unplugged so they tuck in

one time I was working with a buddy at [upstart company] and they wanted to get us macbook whoopity shit computers and we were both like "ehh, do we have to? "

asr

kiwifarms.net
Has anyone been keeping up with linux on m1 hardware? it seems promising and I might just wanna dual boot linux onto m1 hardware to daily drive, not a fan of some of apple's bullshit but their MacBooks are pretty high quality (m1) that is, fuck the older ones and those garbage thermals.

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone been keeping up with linux on m1 hardware? it seems promising and I might just wanna dual boot linux onto m1 hardware to daily drive, not a fan of some of apple's bullshit but their MacBooks are pretty high quality (m1) that is, fuck the older ones and those garbage thermals.

There's advances being made, and a couple of variants of Linux cann be booted up to the desktop.
Reports are... early June for official preliminary support.

AnOminous

とても可愛い
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It would probably be better than running Big Sur. Fuck Apple. M1 Macs can eat my fucking dick. They finally have some truly pimped out hardware and then they do this FUCKING BULLSHIT with it.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've outright bought iOS apps that later turn the same app into a subscription in an update. Spend $5 on an app only for it to "grow" a subscription 6 months later. gfy
I've had that, apps that just wouldn't work on newer versions of iOS due to the developer just not updating them, and apps that just get pulled and disappear completely because fuck you, with no recourse whatsoever. And Apple never seems to catch any crap over it.

Hell, Sony announced the PS3's store, a platform launched fifteen years ago, was shutting down in a few months, but got enough backlash to postpone it for a while. On the other hand, tons of apps just get nuked by iOS updates or fuck over the customer somehow else, and there's just no backlash whatsoever. That's just weird.

This was the only one I found

View attachment 2141550
That black guy has this hair:

external-content.duckduckgo.png

Least Concern

Pretend I have a vtuber avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Asahi Linux looks like an interesting project where they're creating a whole new distro for Silicon Macs (as opposed to porting an existing one). Their site and GitHub wiki has a whole lot of technical details about the hardware that a hardware nerd could sink their teeth into. The person behind this also apparently led a successful project to port Linux to the PS4, so they seem to know their stuff.

The most recent OpenBSD release from last week also has some support for the M1, but it all looks very preliminary so far.

tl;dr: Don't expect much yet, but things seem to be coming along swiftly.

malt ipecac

kiwifarms.net

I use an Apple laptop, and I've found the easiest way to run Linux on it is just ssh to my desktop PC. Pretty much everything that's Linux-specific I do from the terminal, so the apps I'm running natively on Mac OS are pretty standard fare and run the same on either platform.

Frankly, the main reasons I like using my MacBook are the screen (~220 dpi is perfect and everything's out-of-the-box optimized for it) and the touchpad.

It would probably be better than running Big Sur. Fuck Apple. M1 Macs can eat my fucking dick. They finally have some truly pimped out hardware and then they do this FUCKING BULLSHIT with it.

Why the hate for Big Sur, in particular? (I'm running it on amd64 and I haven't yet had a reason to feel this way)
Nevermind -- I didn't scroll back far enough.

Killing kernel extensions is easily the most fucking retarded thing Apple has done since that moronic keyboard without function keys. It is annoying as fuck and has broken lots of old software for no good reason. And for another matter, they also broke Steam streaming because it relies on a kernel extension. This hasn't been fixed in six goddamn months. That part is on Valve, but seriously fuck this choice.

Even worse, it completely broke VirtualBox.
The no-function-key-keyboard is dumb and probably my least-favorite aspect of my laptop. I just leave it turned off all the time and use non-function-key shortcuts when I can.

The stuff I do natively on my laptop is mostly real basic and I've never bothered with anything that requires kernel extensions or virtualization. That would explain why I've been so fine with it.

Last edited:

garakfan69

Conjuring up money from lazy hoes
kiwifarms.net
Apple fires a new hire after the Verge complains that Mexican is too white and this excerpt from his book gets posted:
Most women in the Bay Area are soft and weak, cosseted and naive despite their claims of worldliness, and generally full of shit. They have their self-regarding entitlement feminism, and ceaselessly vaunt their independence, but the reality is, come the epidemic plague or foreign invasion, they’d become precisely the sort of useless baggage you’d trade for a box of shotgun shells or a jerry can of diesel.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Apple fires a new hire after the Verge complains that Mexican is too white and this excerpt from his book gets posted:

Fired for being too based. For real though, that guy sounds like a fascinating person, and a former executive of Facebook, nevertheless. They were retarded to let him go.

Also, just remember, archive everything. https://archive.md/wTvNO

edit: Fucking savage, hahahahahahahahaha:

Apple by this point not only issued a statement declaring that Antonio’s “behavior” was demeaning and discriminatory, but by essentially endorsing the complaints of their letter-writing employees, poured jet fuel on headline descriptions of him as a misogynist. It’s cowardly, defamatory, and probably renders him unhirable in the industry, but this is far from the most absurd aspect of the story.
I’m a fan of Dr. Dre’s music and have been since the N.W.A. days. It’s not any of my business if he wants to make $3 billion selling Beats by Dre to Apple, earning himself a place on the board in the process. But if 2,000 Apple employees are going to insist that they feel literally unsafe working alongside a man who wrote a love letter to a woman who towers over him in heels, I’d like to hear their take on serving under, and massively profiting from, partnership with the author of such classics as “Bitches Ain’t Shit” and “Lyrical Gangbang,” who is also the subject of such articles as “Here’s What’s Missing from Straight Outta Compton: Me and the Other Women Dr. Dre Beat Up.”

Least Concern

Pretend I have a vtuber avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Looks like he opened up about the firing on Twitter: https://twitter.com/antoniogm/status/1393335063480131585 (a)

Mostly the same stuff from the SubStack article, but this part hit me:

I upended my life for Apple. I sold my WA residence which I built with my own hands, relocated myself, shut down any public media presence and future writing aspirations, and resolved to build my career at Apple for years to come.

Reminds me of my marriage (and divorce).

moonman1488

Gorilla Dick Nigga
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
edit: Fucking savage, hahahahahahahahaha:
Fucking Beats by Dre (his headphones and what he does to women) is the first thing I thought of when I heard about this. If you want to go this route of canceling people for their creative works, Dre is a fucking misogynist who beats women. But I guess it's different if you're a celeb who has made the company billions of dollars.

I went ahead and bought his book because it sounds interesting and to spite Apple, I want to stop using their shit so bad but Android is even worse and I'm not going to be some weirdo with a Blackberry (running Android anyway).

Bins

LGBTQ+, BIPOC, Autistic, Nonbinary, infinitfat
kiwifarms.net
Apple announces Lossless music for their streaming service, for which 99.8% of users will never, ever use.
HEADLINES
The encryption keys for iCloud are now stored in China, for which they can probably just take whatever information they want
*crickets*

Apple fought against China's efforts to gain more control over customer data, but given China's leverage over Apple, Apple had no choice but to comply. There were initially disagreements over the digital keys that can unlock iCloud encryption. Apple wanted to keep them in the United States, while Chinese officials wanted them in China.

Ultimately, the encryption keys ended up in China, a decision that "surprised" two unnamed Apple executives who worked on the negotiations and who said that the decision could potentially endanger customer data. There is no evidence that the Chinese government has access to the data, but security experts have said that China could demand data or simply take it without asking Apple, especially given compromises in encryption key storage and the fact that a third-party company manages customer data on Apple's behalf.

"The Chinese are serial iPhone breakers," said Ross J. Anderson, a University of Cambridge cybersecurity researcher who reviewed the documents. "I'm convinced that they will have the ability to break into the servers."
In a statement, Apple told The New York Times that it "never compromised" the security of users or user data in China "or anywhere we operate." Apple says that it still controls the keys that protect the data of Chinese customers, and the China data center is using the most advanced encryption technology available, which is more advanced than what Apple uses in other countries
This probably applies only to Chinese users, but yeah