Apple Thread - The most overrated technology brand?

What killed Steve Jobs?

• Pancreatic Cancer

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • AIDS from having gay sex with Tim Cook

Votes: 65 82.3%

• Total voters

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
there's not much of a used market for them due to firmware updates arbitrarily axing support for apps that would otherwise work fine. Apple's iOS is especially bad about this.
This is true... insofar as that manufacturers of Android phones rarely maintain their phones with new security updates for a reasonable period of time, let alone new major OS releases, so you never have to worry about not having access to new features.

I mean, until iOS 13 late last year, Apple were still supporting 2013 iPhones on the latest version of their phone OS, and they're still releasing iOS 12 security updates.

I remember when you could go into an Apple Store and you would be looked after... I used to buy the 2.5Ghz Liquid Cooled G5 Macs with leaks for next to nothing, (because they used to leak the green fluid everywhere, or were at risk of it) and take them in to any store, and they would swap them out no questions asked for the highest spec Mac Pro's... Then the iPhone came out, and they are now a glorified phone shop... I used to buy leaking and rusting 2.5's for £50-100 a pop, and every time, it was no questions asked, straight swap for an Intel Mac Pro instead...
Hmm, I wonder why this policy has changed..

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
I guess they haven't changed much physically then.

What would Apple be like had they never invented the iPhone?
Personal experience here, but my "local" Apple Store used to be all about 'puters, and apart from my G5 switcheroo's they looked after me with buying stuff. I used to buy 2-3 MacBooks a month as well, and 2-3 Mac Mini's, (Worked in the "arts" and funding was great ) You could go in and just sit down and talk to someone if you ever had any issues... This was when all hardware was only registered to the serial, so it didn't matter who brought it in... It was when the MacBook Pro's had the same cases as the powerbooks, and the sexiest Mac was the black MacBook, even though it was shit plastic and had intel 950 graphics, and you could get a Dell Mini 10v for a 5th of the price with the same specs that also ran OS X natively...

It didn't happen right away... but... iPhone... Don't get me wrong, I took advantage of all their stuff, (Academic/Charity bonuses) It used to be buy a MacBook Pro or an iMac, get a free iPod Classic 120Gb, or get a free iPhone 2G with unlimited data (because O2 fucked it up... Their iPhone unlimited data used to be pass: Alpine, User: Root... Any iPhone in the UK that knew that got free data... iPhone wasn't their big thing is all I'm saying, until the 3G one came out and they didn't have to worry about being stuck to one carrier anymore... (AT&T in US, O2 in UK) Now it's get in line, or go fuck yourself... Try walking into an Apple store now to buy anything that isn't a phone or an iPad...

edit: I remember going in to an Apple store because a C2D MacBook Pro was playing up, it was a failing HDD, and I gave it in, got it back in 2 days and they replaced the whole case, top and bottom, because it looked "worn". All free too. Never gonna happen anymore...

I mean, until iOS 13 late last year, Apple were still supporting 2013 iPhones on the latest version of their phone OS, and they're still releasing iOS 12 security updates.
Even iOS 9 got an update about 2 months ago... That's like iPhone 4S... It was just a security update for that GPS thing, Same as iOS 12 but not bad for a phone from 2012. Not cheerleading them, but at least they still support old shit, even though the 4S is technically obsolete from 2016.

Last edited:

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
The release of the iPhone seemed to mark a turn for the worse...

I thought that said "OS 9" for a moment.

I remember when a school I went to used those fruity iMacs with OS 9 on them, even though OS X had already been out for awhile.
fruity.png

Fun fact... Those fruity iMacs are the only computers that you can actually proper destroy by installing a new OS. OS X Tiger actually blew the video cards out on the early models... As in actual hardware failure.

edit: Another fun fact... When the original 2G steel backed iPhone came out, you could only buy them in the Apple stores, and you couldn't buy more than one, or even pay cash for them. You had to pay by card only, purely because you were just buying the handset with a 36 month contract, but what they didn't realise was you were supposed to take it home and sign up for that insane contract, but you could just jailbreak it and unlock it to your existing network, and still have unlimited data, admittedly at 2G/Edge speeds, but without being in any sort of contract. The original iPhone 2G was only £238 for the 8GB model, and if you knew what you were doing, you could just unlock it and use it on a cheap plan, and still get the free unlimited data.

Last edited:

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
I guess they haven't changed much physically then.

What would Apple be like had they never invented the iPhone?
Macs used to be a kind of counter-culture thing in the early 2000s. Everyone else uses Windows, so I'm not going to.

Take this post I made eariler:

I usually buy a used phone that's compatible with Lineage OS for like $100 and then use the F-Droid store for apps. Fuck Google and Apple.
If this was 2004 or so it would have read

I use Mac OS X because I don't want to be part of Bill Gate's singularity when it comes online. Fuck Microsoft.
It didn't matter if Macs were actually better or not, what mattered was they weren't a Microsoft PC. You bought one to differentiate yourself from everyone else.

I don't know how long that could sustain them as a computer manufacturer, but I would imagine they'd be in much the same position as a counter cultural thing today were if they didn't go under for any reason and the iPhone wasn't a thing.

I'll do you one better, though. What would the internet be like had Apple never invented the iPhone? There's a train of thought that iPhones and the subsequent rise of smartphones was what lowered the barrier for entry enough to get the boomers and other idiots online en masse.

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Now you can't even buy anything without an "appointment"...
You are shitting me.

Actually, I'm gonna verify that for myself. I'm gonna find an actual (as opposed to a franchise) Apple Store near me and see if that is the case. I fear it is. Which the hipsters and consoomers will appreciate because it makes them appreciate ThE ExCLuSiVitY. Even though everyone and his mother has a fucking iPhone.

In Bicester Village (a so-called "designer outlet" which is popular with Mainland Chinese tourists) they have some shops with bouncers on the doors. I shit you not.

Reactions: FuckedUp

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What would the internet be like had Apple never invented the iPhone? There's a train of thought that iPhones and the subsequent rise of smartphones was what lowered the barrier for entry enough to get the boomers and other idiots online en masse.
Apple invents iPhone --> smartphone allows easy access to social media --> social media is used to spread identity politics? In a way, it could be Apple's fault we're in this seemingly endless Current Year of Culture Wars and Trump Derangement Syndrome. Not to mention social media and smartphone culture (selfies, etc).

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I don't like Apple anyway, so I'm more than willing to blame a shit ton of problems on them.
It's too bad that if they hadn't done it, someone else would have. Motorola and Nokia were right on their heels. The IPhone just wasn't really a big leap forward in terms of technology. The only really notable thing about it was the commitment to a multitouch screen + 1 face button.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
My iPhone SE finally gave up the ghost the other day. I just dropped the thing one last time. And this isn't a comment on the SE's fragility; the thing took a lot of abuse from me and I had a bad habit of throwing it onto counters and such instead of getting up and walking across the room and setting it down like an adult.

I briefly considered replacing it with a new X or 11 or an older/used phone all the way back to the 7, but ultimately I ended up replacing it with another SE I came across on Craigslist. It had more disk space than my previous SE, which often complained of being out of space, so it was still an upgrade in one way. I just love the SE's tiny size, and it's still well supported by the latest iOS release, and it was only $120, so why not? My ex-wife was the type that always wanted to get an iPhone with the biggest screen available, and it always felt so awkward and unwieldy to use her phones - call me a manlet, but the small, easily-pocketable size of the SE is just right for me.

Every couple of months or so, the rumor sites publish reports of an SE 2 being under development, but at this point it's looking like Apple believes that ship has sailed and that their future lies in $1000+ aircraft carrier phones. I guess at some point I'll have to buy one too since Apple has my balls in their hand. I'm going to keep buying SEs for as long as Apple will support them, though.

Quijibo69

Mr. Robot
kiwifarms.net
Last Apple thing I ever bought was an Ipod Touch 7th Generation that was dead within 2 months. Never buying an Apple product again!

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Last Apple thing I ever bought was an Ipod Touch 7th Generation that was dead within 2 months. Never buying an Apple product again!
Did you buy it new? If so, did you try getting a replacement?

Yes, you shouldn't have had to, blah blah. But if you can try to meet companies halfway on that sort of thing it works out for both of you.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
fun fact: The iBook G3 had a potential flaw in the design of the "logic board," which would cause it to crap out after awhile. Apple offered free replacements for awhile to iBook G3 users.

• Informative
Reactions: Kot Johansson

murgatroid

kiwifarms.net
The base 2019 iMac 21" at $1099 Apple is currently selling is atrociously bad. I can't believe they would even sell something like this that's borderline obsolete. It's almost a scam it's so bad.

$1099
21.5" 1080p display
2.3ghz intel i5 DUAL CORE
1tb 5400rpm hard disc drive
8gb ram
integrated graphics

A friend of mine who knows nothing about computers just bought one of these and I have to somehow try and convince him to exchange it for literally any other model.

I was looking on youtube to see if there is any review for this model that doesn't suck apples cock and I came across the most cringe/annoying af unboxing I've ever seen:

Last edited:

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
The base 2019 iMac 21" at $1099 Apple is currently selling is atrociously bad. I can't believe they would even sell something like this that's borderline obsolete. It's almost a scam it's so bad.
The Apple cultist will still buy it, Stockholm Syndrome ensures that. Technically, it's a piece of shit. And because it's an Apple product you won't be able to easily gut the crap out of it to make it decent.

Reactions: The Fool

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net

$1099
21.5" 1080p display
8gb ram
integrated graphics

A friend of mine who knows nothing about computers just bought one of these and I have to somehow try and convince him to exchange it for literally any other model.

I was looking on youtube to see if there is any review for this model that doesn't suck apples cock and I came across the most cringe/annoying af unboxing I've ever seen:

One thing that does surprise me that it's using a mechanical hard drive despite costing that much while using a processor from 2017 despite it being from 2019.

edit 1: I meant hard drive.

Beavis

Dilweed
kiwifarms.net

$1099
21.5" 1080p display
8gb ram
integrated graphics

I'm an apple fan, but selling computers with a spinning HD in 2020 is just shameful as hell. I'm a computer janitor at a high school and we have a bunch of 2013 21.5 iMacs. They're dog shit slow with a current version of macOS. Getting to the log in screen from cold boot takes about 2 minutes and 15 seconds. They're surprisingly usable with an SSD though.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino