Apple's App Store art is fucking horrendous - click for feet

moonman1488

运能源 (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ amazing horse ♥
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Changing my Microsoft password and I stumbled into some more of this wonderful "art":
brave_5r07sZdNhf.png

BONUS: Mixed race families.

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
why do the children have different skin tones
This has got worse now with illustration in the last 4 or 5 so years. Seen so many "families with a white mon, black dad and a chink and a paki for kids"... It used to be a client would ask for that but a lot of the younger illustrators do that because they think it's what they do. I'm lucky that I have a lot of say with what I do and if a client ever asks me to do that unless I just don't have a choice, I just explain to them that it looks like pandering and is going to put your current clients off, and also as long as you stay off twitter, nobody cares.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't decide if the drop is because people feel like they have more excuses to be lazy with their art because it's easier than ever to slap it together on a pc, or that companies had to try their damnest to sell their vision when you could barely tell what the five pixels on the screen were. Probably a bit of both.
It's literally because companies pay artists in peanuts and have no respect for the medium whatsoever, they don't even value it in the same regard as a commodity. The artwork is trash because they think art is trash.

werbwub

kiwifarms.net
Most modern marketing art is too bland to be funny to laugh at. The examples at the beginning of the thread could be replicated with a neural network.
Wouldn't be surprised if companies invested in a neural network that made shitty artwork for them. You can already do that with stylegan2
fakes000310.png
This is the result of someone feeding pokemon sprites to stylegan2. They may not look amazing but I'm sure a multi-billion dollar company would be able to make a better neural network with more training data

Agent Wet

Tell my wife I'm dead inside
kiwifarms.net
I don't know if this is taking the piss on the art style or is actually supporting it. Overall I just going to say this is just the art equailvent of corprate music in that its the most bland, inofensive thing ever made that no one ever likes outside of strict shareholders.

Jump

k/i/w/i/f/a/r/m/e/r
kiwifarms.net
Dear Leader Nool had a good segment on this in his last stream

It's called Alegria system. Not art. His theory is its to make art like coding. So you can swap out the art dev's with any other dev at anytime. So no artist could have leverage over the company. Basically making them as valueless as JAVA coders. Silicon valley really has ruined everything.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 7.18.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 6.54.19 PM.png

Even he can do it.
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 6.53.00 PM.png

The more powerful the CPU the shittier the artwork. Compare Apple's art with the amazing art for the potato Atari 2600

View attachment 1555961View attachment 1555962View attachment 1555963

That DEFENDER art work (the 1st 2) made such impression on me that I instantly recognized it 35 years later. VHS cover art was like that too. They actually hired real artists. Everything is shit now.

Last edited:

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I think Null nailed it. Mandating artwork to be simple enough so that artists can't get any leverage in the company and give their platform a unique identity, Man, if that isn't dystopian, I don't know what is.

Wouldn't be surprised if companies invested in a neural network that made shitty artwork for them. You can already do that with stylegan2
View attachment 1701848 This is the result of someone feeding pokemon sprites to stylegan2. They may not look amazing but I'm sure a multi-billion dollar company would be able to make a better neural network with more training data
It's so simplistic, you wouldn't even need a neural network, just a smattering of starting points to go by and parameters so the program doesn't spit out crazy proportions. Like when you play a game with a character customizer and you hit the random button.

ditto

kiwifarms.net
It's so simplistic, you wouldn't even need a neural network, just a smattering of starting points to go by and parameters so the program doesn't spit out crazy proportions. Like when you play a game with a character customizer and you hit the random button.
There's already https://www.thiswaifudoesnotexist.net/. Just needs to be flattened and uglied it up a little to fit the silicon valley aesthetic.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
was reminded this thread exists, so i thought i should mention that eli schiff unprivated the HumansOfFlat account (for now) and is seemingly back acting like a schizo now that Graphic Design Twitter is going apeshit talking about this art style... the absolute madman
Found this on there, which is just golden:

Saturn Devouring His Son flat art style.jpg

Saturn Devouring His Son.jpg

The Lawgiver

We all know what happens to alien spies.
kiwifarms.net
Youtube's front page is full of these fuckers right now.

fucknogoogle.png

Ironically I saw this while looking up footage of this game nobody brought up in this thread yet.
It's an office themed dungeon crawler type of game that's visuals parody this obnoxious fucking plague. Watched a friend play through it a while back and it looked pretty fun. Didn't even know It fucking existed myself till he showed me!

Ponchik

Death.
kiwifarms.net
Youtube's front page is full of these fuckers right now.

View attachment 1742138

Ironically I saw this while looking up footage of this game nobody brought up in this thread yet.
It's an office themed dungeon crawler type of game that's visuals parody this obnoxious fucking plague. Watched a friend play through it a while back and it looked pretty fun. Didn't even know It fucking existed myself till he showed me!
seeing a Big Tech corporation using humans of flat makes me want to avoid them like the plague even more. it almost makes me want them all to use this awful fucking art style longer because a. it's a great way of exposing pozzed bugmen megacorps and b. i have this vague misguided fear that they'll start using an aesthetic i don't hate (they won't)

i saw queer twitter indie game devs shilling the fuck out of Going Under but i thought they were just using this art style unironically... i didn't realize i was being rused

The Lawgiver

We all know what happens to alien spies.
kiwifarms.net
Whats really strange about this sorta flat crude style of art is it's been around since as long as I can remember but only the last few years or so has it gotten so fucking obnoxiously everywhere and generic and low effort as possible. There's also the soulless vibe the new shit gives off the older shit doesnt always have and I sometimes wonder what exactly it is that causes the older shit to be less soulless than current shit. maybe it's the complete removal of any edge? The computer generated feel rather than pen drawn?