• ”So he's into weird, depraved shit. That's pretty much half our userbase. Where is the funny stuff?”

Archival ToolsIf you make a thread without archiving shit I will strangle you.

Discussion in 'Lolcow General' started by Null, Dec 18, 2014.

1. The natural reaction of a lolcow is deleting fucking everything when they get found out.
    The responsibility of a Kiwi is to record fucking everything before that happens.

archive.is
    creates a full, living backup of a website with all its resources. (example)
    full page screen capture is a fucking wonderful Chrome extension that automatically caps, records, compiles, and sends you a lossless PNG of exactly what you see. It doesn't interact with anything on the page and takes only a second to use. (example) FireFox now has this built in using the right-click context menu and it is extremely useful, but do not hotlink content from the firefoxusercontent domain. Download it and re-upload it, or use the clipboard option to paste it directly into your post.

If you're hosting files, it is always a better idea to
    mixtape.moe is the better alternative to Imgur. Mega is another good file host.
    If your file is very large or very important, PM me or email me at null@kiwifarms.net and I will archive it to https://kiwifarms.net/archive

This is a standard of archive quality we're using on the https://lolcow.wiki, but it's good if everyone does it. Links to 3rd party websites are rarely a good idea unless you're actually trying to show people the URL, and not its content.

Do not
    , however, rely on social media embeds or direct links. Take screenshots and host them elsewhere, preferably directly to the site. Imgur is not safe. Twitter content belongs to their author and simply embedding it won't always work, so take screenshots. Facebook URLs include a token that links back to your account. Save w/ different filename or screenshot!!!

If you use GNU/Linux, the tool "youtube-dl" is basically god's gift to mankind and the single most useful utility in the whole fucking world. It's available on most distros, including FreeBSD. If you know how to use the Windows command prompt, you can use it on Windows as well.

Windows users and dummies wanting to save YouTube / other video streaming content should look into youtube-dl-gui. Yes, even YOU can archive valuable, fleeting content! I will help you host it if it's a big file.

Attached Files:

• Informative  x 52
    • Winner  x 9
    • Like  x 3
    • Semper Fidelis  x 1
    •  x 1
    #1 Null, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    kiwifarms.net
  2. Whoa, that full page capture thing rocks. I thought it would just take a screenshot, not record the entire page.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    Hellblazer

Hellblazer Everything has its time and everything dies.
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  3. Don't forget archive.org for vintage lols from old versions of their websites.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    sparklemilhouse

sparklemilhouse America Online for Dummies™

kiwifarms.net
  4. For Firefox (I know it works on Nightly) press SHIFT+F2 and a console comes up.
    The command "screenshot" screenshots the current section of the page.
    --fullpage screenshots the entire page.
    --delay (x) delays the screenshot.
    --clipboard saves the image to the clipboard instead of a file.
    After those, you can type in a custom filename (the default filename is the date you took the photo, put into the downloads folder).
    If you wanted to take the entire page and put it onto your clipboard, you would do "screenshot --fullpage --clipboard"
    To save the page to a custom filename, do "screenshot --fullpage Test"
    Here's an example of this page taken with this method: [​IMG]
    Edit Note: This doesn't work on all websites (example, 4chan with 4chanx gives an error)

• Informative Informative x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #4 cloudyys, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    kiwifarms.net
    • Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.net
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Abilene

Abilene [Unintelligible]

kiwifarms.net
  5. Tweetsave.com is a godsend for archiving twitter shit. Backs it up on-site, but also on archive.today and archive.org.

Hodor

Hodor z-list shitposter

kiwifarms.net
  6. Heritrix looks like it could be very useful. It's an open-source (and free) web crawler designed to archive entire websites. It'll take some nerds who know JavaScript to get it up and running, though...

• Informative Informative x 3
    #8 Le Bateleur, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Le Bateleur

Le Bateleur Major Arcana

kiwifarms.net
  7. Fireshot is a good Firefox extension for screencapping. All you need is the free version, no need to upgrade, as free gives you a lot of capping options.

Cynical

Cynical The world sucks? Good.

kiwifarms.net
  8. HTTrack is a good choice for archiving full sites.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    Bertram

Bertram Butler

kiwifarms.net
  9. The easiest way to take small (read: non-fullscreen) screenshots in Windows is to click Start > type "snippingtool" into the run box > draw a box around what you want to snip and it'll take a screenshot of it.

Then just click the copy button and paste the image into your message as an attachment. No mucking about with Imgur or uploading it to an external site.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    sugoi-chan

sugoi-chan chewing on a stick of cum
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  10. Alternately, simple screenshots for applefags:

-On a Mac, holding down Cmd+Shift+3 will take a snapshot of your entire screen. Cmd+Shift+4 will allow you to select the portion you want to cap. There is also a screencap tool under "Utilities" in your app folder.

-On devices such as iPhones and iPads, holding the 'power' and 'menu' buttons simultaneously will result in a snapshot being directly saved to your camera roll.

Easy as pie.

• Like Like x 1
    #12 varvarstvo, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    varvarstvo

varvarstvo 人就是鬼、鬼就是人。
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  11. I have a Firefox add-on called Nimbus Screenshot that does the same thing, click "selected area", box in the area that you want to cap and copy it to your clipboard, but it's even easier because it's accessed through a simple button on the toolbar. I'm absolutely braindead when it comes to computers and will bashfully admit that this was the only way I knew how to take screenshots for a while.

Philosophy Zombie

Philosophy Zombie Mekotur's Favorite
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  12. For anyone interacting with a cow from Deviant Art and you want to archive there who gallery use this tool called RipMe.
    Install the full JDK on your system.
    Go to the gallery in question, make sure you have selected all in the left hand column of the DA page.
    Copy the URL from the address bar.
    Paste it into the URL field in RipMe.
    Click Rip.

You can change the location of the download folder in settings however if you don't it will create folder in your default downloads folder called rips you can find the archive there.

• Informative Informative x 4
    Ravenor

Ravenor Purge.
    Supervisor True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  13. Since a recent release, you can also use the tag --imgur and it'll upload it there and give you the URL.

sugoi-chan

sugoi-chan chewing on a stick of cum
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  14. If you guys are too lazy to copy-paste links to archive.is/tweetsave/whatever, use these bookmarklets instead:
    archive.is:
    Code:
    javascript:void(open('https://archive.is/?run=1&url='+encodeURIComponent(document.location)))
    tweetsave:
    Code:
    javascript:void(open('https://tweetsave.com/?tweet='+encodeURIComponent(document.location)))
    go1dfish (for reddit stuff):
    Code:
    javascript:if (window.location.hostname.match(/reddit/)) {window.location = 'https://r.go1dfish.me' + window.location.pathname + window.location.search;}
    save the shit in the code tag as bookmark and click them when you open a page you'd like to archive

hood LOLCOW

kiwifarms.net
  15. How do you do this in chrome

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    autisticdragonkin

autisticdragonkin Eric Borsheim
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  16. select the whole code, then drag it to your bookmarks bar. don't forget to rename it for easy identification

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    hood LOLCOW

kiwifarms.net
  17. Recently, a few different threads have had problems with YouTube based lolcows mass-deleting their videos, so I though I'd help you guys out and recommend a program called "Video Downloader Ultimate"
    https://videodownloaderultimate.com/en/
    It's a program that pops up in your browser when you turn it on, and if it scans pick up a video in one of your browser tabs, it will be copied to the program itself so you can download it. So, let's say you wanted to download several videos all at once, all you'd have to do is open all of them up in your browser. The full version costs money, but the free version is basically just as good.

As for reuploading them, you could open up your own YouTube archive if you really wanted, but if you're lazy like I am, you can use this little website called mixtape.moe
    https://mixtape.moe/
    It's sort of like Imgur but instead of just images you can upload a variety of file types, including MP4s and MP3s. The cool part about this website is, you don't need an account to upload stuff, and anybody can view and download said stuff openly as long as you give them the link. So basically, you can download videos, then upload them to mixtape.moe and drop the link here so anybody can view and download them.

A little wordy, but I thought this would be at least a little helpful for you guys.

• Informative Informative x 9
    Pepsi-Cola

Pepsi-Cola Fuck Cumrobbery!

kiwifarms.net
  18. Grep Tweet saves up to 3200 tweets, I've used it and it's pretty useful.

Jaiman

Jaiman pink pastel equine enthusiast
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.