archive.md vs brave browser - Archive site redirects links to github issue

Several Goats

teaching sand to think was a mistake
kiwifarms.net
Description

As of the last hour for me, archive.* links redirect to this issue.
Apparently the archive sites can't get their BATbux, and are trying to force the Null approved browser's hand.
archive.md blogpost on the issue

Steps to reproduce

Clicking on this 8 part JK Rowling take-down archived link from the leftist memes thread
http://archive.md/qiBuE

Actual result

1592660429584.png

Expected result

1592660512232.png

One side helps fund the farms, while the other makes sure the content doesn't disappear. Who will win?

hundredpercent

kiwifarms.net
The archive.md/md people shouldn't have redirected and summoned everyone to their issue. This is ridiculous.
The archive guy is really weird. The line between based and lolcow is razor-thin. I don't know side of it he's on
  • Rangebans the entire country of Finland for obscure reasons
  • Deliberately makes his site inaccessible to anyone using Cloudflare DNS
  • Requires a CAPTCHA for all proxies, copies CloudFlare's "one more step" page (but it isn't actually CloudFlare, their onion has it too)
  • Offers an onion service, still blocks Tor
  • Also runs btdig.com
  • Czech
  • Refuses to archive his archive in the Internet Archive as a backup
  • Uses like half a dozen different emails and psuedonyms
  • Fistful of domains
  • Weaponizes his site to pester Brave about BAT stuff

KingFrampt

The scourge of man
kiwifarms.net
The archive guy is really weird. The line between based and lolcow is razor-thin. I don't know side of it he's on
  • Rangebans the entire country of Finland for obscure reasons
  • Deliberately makes his site inaccessible to anyone using Cloudflare DNS
  • Requires a CAPTCHA for all proxies, copies CloudFlare's "one more step" page (but it isn't actually CloudFlare, their onion has it too)
  • Offers an onion service, still blocks Tor
  • Also runs btdig.com
  • Czech
  • Refuses to archive his archive in the Internet Archive as a backup
  • Uses like half a dozen different emails and psuedonyms
  • Fistful of domains
  • Weaponizes his site to pester Brave about BAT stuff

The site is slow as shit someone needs to make an alternative

️ronic

Moon Impact 2020
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I seem to have found a workaround for this.
On desktop, if you click on the Brave icon on the smart-bar and select "change global shield defaults", it should bring you to a settings page where you can choose an option labeled "Block scripts". This will disable Javascript on all websites by default, fyi. If you're still having trouble, trying incognito mode ended up working for me.

From what I've tested, the website works perfectly fine with this method.

Agent Abe Caprine

I have a feeling we're about to become very close.
kiwifarms.net
I seem to have found a workaround for this.
On desktop, if you click on the Brave icon on the smart-bar and select "change global shield defaults", it should bring you to a settings page where you can choose an option labeled "Block scripts". This will disable Javascript on all websites by default, fyi. If you're still having trouble, trying incognito mode ended up working for me.

From what I've tested, the website works perfectly fine with this method.
Works on the mobile version, too.

Edit: Well, did. Once.

• Feels
Reactions: Elwood P. Dowd

️ronic

Moon Impact 2020
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Works on the mobile version, too.

Edit: Well, did. Once.
If you go to settings > site settings > Javascript and scroll to the bottom, it should give you an option to add the website to your blacklist.

Edit: Apparently, the Javascript they're using is leaving cookies so that you still get redirected even with Javascript disabled. I disabled cookies for the website and it totally fixed any issues on mobile.

Last edited:

Elwood P. Dowd

kiwifarms.net
Is Tor acting wonky with Archive for anybody else? I'm getting prompted for a Captcha it won't let me complete.

This page worked fine on Chrome, 403 after some weird "help" screens popped up on Tor/looping Captchas. Crazy.

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone actually know the story behind archive.md? I always had a hunch they bankrolled by an intelligence agency or some bizarre NGO. I just don't understand where the money is coming from and what the motivation is.

I don't think an intelligence agency would let their lackey completely tism out and fuck up the site like this. If an intelligence agency is running something like a tor node or a remailer or this shit, they are going to want it to be the best, most reliable, never down thing in existence so everyone uses it.

• Winner
Reactions: Toolbox and Μusk

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think an intelligence agency would let their lackey completely tism out and fuck up the site like this. If an intelligence agency is running something like a tor node or a remailer or this shit, they are going to want it to be the best, most reliable, never down thing in existence so everyone uses it.
Awhile back they used to use a loading.gif image that was hotlinked from https://henley-putnam.national.edu/ which is an institution for spooks. Never understood what that was about.

hundredpercent

kiwifarms.net
Does anyone actually know the story behind archive.md? I always had a hunch they bankrolled by an intelligence agency or some bizarre NGO. I just don't understand where the money is coming from and what the motivation is.
No, he's just based. If it were the intelligence agencies, they would at least send crypto to themselves so the funding matches up. He is not the kind of guy who would be bankrolled by a NGO, to say the least.

I was going to write a longer post, but then I realized he's with a very high certainty (>90%) redpilled, so it would probably be halal. Send a PM if you're interested. He's made a lot of contributions on GitHub, and he's obviously a very skilled programmer, so I think he just funds it out of his own pocket. He doesn't seem to care very much about money:

https://blog.archive.md/post/618774854617939968/can-you-post-stats-such-as-web-pages-archived-in said:
The donations ($300/mo, stats are at https://liberapay.com/archiveis/) go to cover 1/7 of the expenses: server colocation in 2 countries, about $1000/mo each + about $100/mo for dozen of cheap cloud instances around the world to form a pool of public IP addresses (for multi-exit VPN, etc)

That's $2100 of expenses, $300 of donations, and a deficit of $1800. Plus his other projects.

Tags
None