Are Americans on the cusp of another Great Depression? -

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

Is America about to enter another depression?

• No, the money printer went brrrrrrrrrrrr

• Yes, this is just a dead cat bounce before a drastic drop

• Yes, but it will take a while for the bubble to pop again

Results are only viewable after voting.

Angry Shoes

Red Wire: Right Temple, Black Wire: Left Temple
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So after one of the most drastic blows to the American stock market I've ever seen things seem to be increasing at a more normal rate (thanks to some Fed intervention). But will it be enough? Will this bump be enough to carry them through a period where people are mostly on lockdown? Is this just a bull trap before the market falls off a cliff? Or will this be enough to inflate the bubble and kick this can down the road for a few more years?

Lord of the Large Pants

Chicks dig giant robots.
kiwifarms.net
This virus has a lot of people insecure and scared for the future, not knowing what to do or who to trust for advice. Luckily, you submitted your inquiry to the right place. Thank god for our resident expert economists and epidemiologists at The Kiwi Forums. :semperfidelis:
You say that, but I've found a lot more sober analysis here than a lot more mainstream sources.

Liber Pater

Going Hard With The Hard "r's"
kiwifarms.net
Governments will just pretend that Winnie the Flu is gone and start sending people back to work once fiscal and monetary stimulus is no longer enough to keep the economy afloat through all of the quarantines and work closures. World leaders are not willing to risk popping the global debt bubble and initiating financial Armageddon by trying to "flatten the curve" for 18 months, even if it would mean fewer Covid deaths.

waffle

kiwifarms.net
I'm going other.

Were in for a sharp depression but I suspect it will only last a couple or three years. If the boomers all die it will help cut out some dead wood and clear some distressed/grossly over valued assets out of the system. For example. housing is probably going to crash hard, but demand is going to be high because there's going to be a lot of older millennials/late gen X people with dead parents money who can afford a house for the first time. The increased demand should stabilize the market. and I think a lot of manufacturing is going to come back to the US/europe. The other shoe is about to drop on Kung-flu, which is that our supply lines are fucked on basically everything. Globalism/the Just in Time model is over because it is about to cause an intolerable shock to the global supply chain.

Spech

Collapsed Ribcage
kiwifarms.net

Shield Breaker

^_^
kiwifarms.net
This is bad. Seriously. Economic depression. Whatever you think is bad. It's worse. But take heed. We will endure.
The Great Depression was only 'great' here. Everywhere else recovered before the USA because they weren't rețarded.

God only knows what the economy will do in the coming months, the best we can do is speculate. I found some pertinent reading published by the Fed, analyzing the impact of the 1919 Spanish Flu outbreak and its economic effects. I recommend reading this if you're into economics or history, it's pretty interesting!

Yes, the effects were short term. Doomers are calling it a second great depression, but the cause is not economic, but an outside one. It will probably be rougher than the Spanish Flu outbreak, but only because we are more focused on services these days.

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
I think this is going to be anouther 2008 crisis, but actually looking at historical trends, for as long as Ive been alive (I was born in 90 so half of this shit I was too young to know about and the other half Im too stupid to understand so Im kind of just shitposting) it seems like America has had some major 'recession' every decade or so. There was one in the late 80s, early 90s, I think there was one near the end of the 90s, you had 08, and now this.

Also people had been saying, like usual, "We're overdue' since around 2 years ago and also because Orange Man™, which I didnt get or believe in but here we are.

TwinkLover6969

kiwifarms.net
I think this is going to be anouther 2008 crisis, but actually looking at historical trends, for as long as Ive been alive (I was born in 90 so half of this shit I was too young to know about and the other half Im too stupid to understand so Im kind of just shitposting) it seems like America has had some major 'recession' every decade or so. There was one in the late 80s, early 90s, I think there was one near the end of the 90s, you had 08, and now this.

Also people had been saying, like usual, "We're overdue' since around 2 years ago and also because Orange Man™, which I didnt get or believe in but here we are.
This is worse than 2008.

1585237910375.png

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Knows Kung-Flu
kiwifarms.net
I don't think it'll be that bad, maybe two quarters of economic downturn. Basically a recession. We've been due a recession for a while now, anyways.

People who live paycheck to paycheck are going to be the most affected, but they're exceptional for living their lives that way. Maybe this will teach them to budget.
I agree to a point. It’ll be some tougher times ahead, especially for people with less savings and income.
As for them being dumb with money, that’s true, but their kids don’t really have a choice. You can say it’s irresponsible to have kids when in that position, but the kids are still there through no fault of their own. A ten year old can’t support themselves, their stuck relying on the parents.

Marco Fucko

A climber and a sadist.
kiwifarms.net
As amused as I would be to see my fellow sissy millennials go from first world comfort to dust bowl travelling or hooverville tier poverty, the scenario seems unlikely.

No, what'll likely happen is even if COVID isn't completely in the clear, businesses will reopen in 2-3 months and most people will be fine. Corona will be a known quantity in this scenario and positive tested people will be quarantined. Provided they aren't already unhealthy they'll recover and go back to work after getting the all clear from a medical professional. We're already working on different methods of band-aiding this thing and summer heat helps to kill off SARS and influenza, of which Corona is a relative.

Tags
None