Are new games really worth it, or can we get by on retro titles? - Virgin Microtransactions Versus The Chad Retro Finished Product.

What games do you think are overall better to play, all things considered?

• Modern titles

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Retro Titles

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • Don't you hsave a fucking PHONE?!

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters

Poiseon

I am literal poison.
kiwifarms.net
Anyone with any really serious interest in video games have noticed that, over the last decade, the video game industry has changed quite a bit. Where once it was standard industry practice to sell games to the public that were finished, and did not use the internet as a major component of game play. Times having changed with the increasing accessibility of the internet, and advances in technology have led to the Video Games Industry focusing more on what they call 'Live Services' games. Such as the atrocities of Star Wars Battlefront, Star Wars Battlefront II, the Diablo Immortal announcement and subsequent backlash, and a multitude of other examples, including the current issues regarding Anthem. Which has actually led to a player boycott.

This isn't even taking into account the explosive storms of autism surrounding Fallout 76, a system so greedy that the price of painting your power-armor blue costs almost $20. The giants of the Video game Industry have switched from creating a creative, complete, cathartic and overall enjoyable product has changed. And their focus is instead on enticing as many players as possible to pay for loot boxes, instead of making a quality product.

With this being stated, and the current outlook of the Industry being more and more anti-consumer in the last several years, are modern titles really needed to enjoy video games? The short answer is, of course not, but it raises an interesting question. What if people stuck with older titles for the foreseeable future? There's no questioning that today's titles are more technologically adept, and advanced than older games, but when you factor in that the older titles are cheaper, already finished, and much more often than not feature no micro-transactions, the trade offs seem a bit more worth it. To me at least.

When looking at titles like Fable 3, Fallout 3, and New Vegas, even these older games have DLCs, and in the case of Fable 3, did feature the Xbox store to purchase clothing, weapons, etc, but this is a moot point given that the service is no longer live, and all content in game can be enjoyed in the current GOTY editions, that cost less than half, or even a third to a sixth the cost of a modern title. I've checked prices, and I could purchase a fully refurbished Xbox 360 E, with a 750 GB of hard-drive space, along with two controllers, a kinect sensor, Fable Anniversary, Fable 2, Fable 3, Fable Journey, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas for less than $350. A very good deal considering the cost of a modern console is nearly that much, with games two to three years old costing an average $40.

If people stopped paying into the Video Games industry and it's current, half-baked, over-monetized, creatively bankrupt titles, would the loss in revenue force the Industry to pay more attention to it's customers, or would the companies, in the spirit of the Current Year, double down? There are developers who are making some amazing games. Such as CD Projekt Red with Cybepunk2077, Naughty Dog with the Last of Us 2, and Obsidian with their new IP The Outer Worlds. But these companies are few in an ocean of corporate focused games with little spirit, if any, to them.

What are your thoughts? Is it better to play the multitude of older titles, or do you prefer the newest, most advanced games out there? Do you feel gamers have been too harsh against the likes of EA, Bethesda, Bioware, etc? Do you think these companies will ever change, or just continue on their current path? Or is this thread just the autisitc ramblings of some exceptional individual on an internet forum? Probably the latter, tbh.

IceGray

"Dude, where's the bus?"
kiwifarms.net
If said modern games didn't almost always attempt to put out patchwork of mandatory-to-play DLC, but made them optional expansions like the old days, I'd say they have the advantage of modern tech.

I believe retro games had no choice but to be somewhat complete products because of a lack of bandwith. Technology's advancements made download bandwith plentiful but also allowed the likes of EA to just split their games into parts and demand micro-transactions.

thejackal

kiwifarms.net
AAA games at launch are almost certainly "not worth it" in any sort of value sense. If you're looking to spend $60 on Valve as a one time purchase you can pickup half a dozen great, classic titles, (even more if you look for sales) or you could purchase one AAA game that will probably give you 30-100 hours of content unless you fall in love with it and it has unlimited replay value online, which fewer and fewer seem to have. Those 6 classic games could have provided you thousands of hours of content.

Recon

Tactical Autism Response Division
kiwifarms.net
I stay 3/4 of a generation behind on purpose. The games are cheaper and the servers are usually still up. Just got a PS4 last month, and I pay ~15 bucks a title. I doubt this will be a viable approach once they finally kill physical copies, but to answer your question?
No, they're not worth it, save for very rare drops like Cyberpunk 2077. Most titles drop in price fairly quickly and you can save hundreds by just staying behind the release schedules a few months..

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To be perfectly honest--with incredibly few exceptions--I won't even touch a new game until it's already been out for several months, at least. You gain absolutely nothing for being the "first through the door" anymore, other than mountains of bugs and crashes, if the game even launches in a playable state in the first place. (ARK, Atlas, AC:Unity, Etc.) Oddly enough, this problem seems incredibly more common with AAA titles than it does with independent game studios.

It costs you the maximum amount of money if you're first in line and you get the worst possible experience for doing it. In some instances you might even wind up with a game that you literally cannot play, like what happened with Dead Rising 2 on the PC. On the other hand, if you kick back and wait to see if it's even worth it in the first place, and then wait for it to go on sale, you can end up spending a fraction of the original cost, all the bugs are fixed (with any luck), and there might even be DLC that would be interesting.

Apart from the completely worthless "pre-order" bonuses they offer you, there's absolutely no benefit to being at the front of the line.

thejackal

kiwifarms.net
To be perfectly honest--with incredibly few exceptions--I won't even touch a new game until it's already been out for several months, at least. You gain absolutely nothing for being the "first through the door" anymore, other than mountains of bugs and crashes, if the game even launches in a playable state in the first place. (ARK, Atlas, AC:Unity, Etc.) Oddly enough, this problem seems incredibly more common with AAA titles than it does with independent game studios.

It costs you the maximum amount of money if you're first in line and you get the worst possible experience for doing it. In some instances you might even wind up with a game that you literally cannot play, like what happened with Dead Rising 2 on the PC. On the other hand, if you kick back and wait to see if it's even worth it in the first place, and then wait for it to go on sale, you can end up spending a fraction of the original cost, all the bugs are fixed (with any luck), and there might even be DLC that would be interesting.

Apart from the completely worthless "pre-order" bonuses they offer you, there's absolutely no benefit to being at the front of the line.
It's incredible but most of the games that are the top selling "early access" titles that range from $9.99 to $29.99 on Steam are usually in a better state than the $69 AAA titles at launch. The AAA studios won't add content that isn't paywalled either. At least the EA ones will fix the bugs and add content for free for your early purchase.

Sperglord Dante

Useless Guato
kiwifarms.net
Going strictly by numbers, yeah, the gems you can pick for pennies on Steam and GOG will get you a higher fun:dollar ratio than the modern day classics.

That doesn't mean the overall videogame quality output has gotten worse, that's some golden age fallacy. Yeah, plenty of modern games are riddled with day 1 bugs and exploitative microtransactions and DLC, but on the flipside there's plenty of good shit out there. Specially from indie titles that wouldn't have been viable products prior to digital markets, or in the best case scenario would be confined to mobile consoles.

chicken wings

Certified Instagram Dietician
kiwifarms.net
If anything, new games will spoil you. I find it hard to return to some old games because I'm so used to the game auto saving every few minutes, fast travel etc...

As for the state of modern games, as shown time and time again it really is just better to wait two or even three years down the road where you know they will not only be available at a heavily discounted price or be bundled as a GOTY edition. This is an addition to 1001 bug fixes. The only "definitive" way to play anything is to... wait.

Let's be real. The only reason to pick up games new and early is to play them new and early.

Clop

kiwifarms.net
Modern games are more and more about online-only connectivity which means limited lifespan (since private servers are fucking illegal in companies' eyes or some shit now) and a lot of the games' content is more flash than substance.

I still hold dearly to my heart what X-COM's (the old one) creator said about modern games. He really thought that AI would be what most of the industry would be working towards improving, that we would have games with even more complicated algorithms to make the experience beyond imagination. Instead all work since then went to graphics.

The realization that the industry just keeps rubbing polish on the graphics year after fucking year even going so far as to do pointless graphical elements and jacking up the resolution standards higher and fucking higher, it fucking hurts bad. Goddamned Crysis got so much attention just because of the graphical prowess alone.

I tried to find this one video that made a very good case that we have too many graphics artists in game teams now, and not enough level designers (sadly I can't find it since ironically a lot of search results talk about how amazing graphics are in games.) In the olden golden days levels were designed by people with a modicum of art skills. Levels had more function than art to them. Modern games have this reversed, big time. Artists do a lot of the level design now, and what you end up with is a lot of shallow design that's been covered in pretty dresses for the screenshots and trailers.

Indie devs have a lot of the old ways in their bags and plenty of them start because of a passion for the games they've played so indie will still work for a long time, but fucking AAA is long gone over the hill and should be taken to the back of a woodshed with a 12-gauge.

chicken wings

Certified Instagram Dietician
kiwifarms.net
The realization that the industry just keeps rubbing polish on the graphics year after fucking year even going so far as to do pointless graphical elements and jacking up the resolution standards higher and fucking higher, it fucking hurts bad. Goddamned Crysis got so much attention just because of the graphical prowess alone.
One of the leads on Crysis even had the gall to say graphical prowess was the only thing that mattered. Now look at it. Crysis is nothing more than a master race meme.

Reactions: Ratko_Falco

Some JERK

Takin' all the pretty girls.
kiwifarms.net
I swear to god when I first glanced at this thread, my overtired brain read it as "Are new memes really worth it, or can we get by on retro titties?"

Anyway. I never play new releases because I only have a very limited time to play, so several new games will come out while I'm playing one game. (I have about 5 games on deck that I'll be lucky to get through in the next 2 years.)

If you're someone who's played just about everything then yeah, you might have to replay a bunch of things you've already played but even then there's a lot of value in that. I'm already looking forward to replaying a few games If I can ever find the time. But I think people who have played everything are very rare. There's enough great stuff out there at discount prices to keep almost everyone entertained until the big studios pull their heads out of their asses or go under and make room for companies that aren't idiots.

Reactions: Poiseon

An Ghost

Covered in sheet
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
my most played games on steam i bought for like $2.50 or they were free. I have also bought AAA titles day of release and enjoyed them. You can't put games into groups like "indie" and "AAA" or "Cheap" and "Expensive." Play what you enjoy. When you only consider $$$ to time spent having fun, movies would never make any money because theyre expensive and short.
That said there are excellent free/cheap games out there. There are also terrible ones. Just play what you like.
edit: if you REALLY wanna get into $$$:fun ration, i have a bunch of games i bought and havent even played and once i bought another copy of a game i already owned but forgot about. just play. vidya aint a science.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino