Are new games really worth it, or can we get by on retro titles? - Virgin Microtransactions Versus The Chad Retro Finished Product.

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

What games do you think are overall better to play, all things considered?

• Modern titles

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Retro Titles

Votes: 67 59.8%
  • Don't you hsave a fucking PHONE?!

Votes: 34 30.4%

• Total voters

din365

kiwifarms.net
This one is a toss up for me.. I like both modern and retro games. I love playing old school NES and SNES games from time to time, and I also like booting up a modern game and playing it as well. However, I will note this right now: I do keep coming back to the old retro games and play them, and when I finish a game on my ps4, I don't touch it ever again. So, for that, I give it to retro.

RadicalCentrist

kiwifarms.net
original NES had TWO buttons on the controller can just say "Fuck it"
I'm more perplexed that you are literate despite not being able to count past two.

436434-original-nes-controller.jpg

ObsoleteMediaFormat

kiwifarms.net
Honestly outside the rare year like 2017, I find myself getting less new games and playing more older stuff. I really don't blame change in trends more than dev times and costs going crazy high, just not feasible to put out a game like Ratchet or GTA every other year any more, many other smaller games that could make money in the ps1/ps2 era could no longer do so. It's why I don't want next gen to be 2020/21 because I have a strong feeling devs costs will go up again with it and gaming on pc I really don't feel like games need to look much better than right now.

I really don't expect changes until dev costs come down, too many games have to sell millions of units to even break even, shit is crazy. Is worth noting that THQ made Darksiders 3 be profitable at around 100 thousand units sold, no idea how they did that but more game studios should try whatever they did to cut dev costs.

Also feel like the rise of the HD remasters is due to how much cheaper they are to do compared to making a new game, honestly I don't mind hd remaster if they come to pc and aren't badly done, good way to play older games with improvements even if in most games those improvements are just better framerates, resolution and widescreen, and sadly not total game changing updates like Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age.

Sony is the saddest case for me, their line up in the PS2 was crazy good, during the PS3 they did cut back on many of the gernes I loved such as 3d platformers however they still did put out good amount of games by the end of the PS3 lifespan, can't say the same about the PS4 which had way less games from studios and way less variety. MS were also bad however I didn't care for their 360 line up compared to the OG Xbox.

For 3rd parties Square Enix's output is better than the ps3/360 days with games like NieR Automata and Dragon Quest 11 to name a few but not near as good their golden era, I can't just blame dev costs and time for where a series like Final Fantasy or Tomb Raider is at right now, because it comes across as more of them not knowing what to do with them.

Capcom is in a good state right now after the end of last gen and the start of this gen not being great for them, they are clearly not putting out as many games as they did during the snes/ps1/ps2 eras however they do come across as making the best use of the resources they have right now.

Sega is weird, they have put out some of my favourite games in the past few years mainly Yakuza games. however they are still have many old ips they have no idea what to do with and got out played with Sonic Mania a small side project game done by ex fan game devs while the big sonic game Sonic Forces failed.

Last edited:

Dick Justice

If you say "normie" you are that which you condemn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All the good games nowadays are being made in the indie and "just-barely-technically-indie" spaces. We shouldn't fall into nostalgia blindness just because the AAA scene is so cancerous, and I say that as someone who hasn't played a game less than a decade old in the last month and am actually right now looking for a copy of need for speed porsche unleashed. Anyone remember that gem?

NotoriousD

Russian Birthday Bot
kiwifarms.net
To be honest, it's a mix of both I guess. There's a lot of newer games out there I enjoy, but I rarely get AAA titles on release. Probably the ONLY exception I'd make for this is Doom Eternal when it comes out. And that's because I'm a Doom fanatic.

I don't want to sperg out and powerlevel too much, but I'm a firm believer in downloading when you can't afford something, and the lifestyle of just downloading in general. There is a reason I bring that up: emulation.

I actually have quite a backlog of older games AND newer titles that I've never even touched, let alone finished, and I tend to be very selective about what I like, so I'd say both are good to a degree. But HK-47 hit the nail on the head. In modern generations of games it's a terrible idea to buy something immediately on release, and lately indie titles that are fun to play are outnumbering big company made releases that are fun to play in my opinion.

That said, I do tend to take the route of, most of the time, being a bit behind the times with actually playing games. By the time I get to stuff everyone's likely already played it, but I never felt the need to rush.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the last game I that I bought on release was Monster Hunter World. And that was well over a year ago now.

Older games are so much cheaper and (for the most part) higher quality. It's not really worth buying new games now especially considering devs now are more than happy to either rush them out, chop them up and sell the extra bits at a premium and fix the game breaking bugs later.

Once actually finishing your game and selling a complete product becomes the norm again, I'll reconsider. (If that ever happens)

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
Games have always been about 80% shit with nostalgia making the good stuff seem like it was all good. Game quality is the same now as it was 30 years ago.

When I think back to NES/SNES/Genesis, I can still see a wall of licensed movie garbage and western turds at KB Toys or rental stores.

N64 was mostly a wasteland outside of Nintendo's line, PSX was a dumping ground of early 3D attempts.

This applies to all mediums. I read a fascinating article years ago about this dude who has the largest record collection in the world. When people went in to document it, they found only 10% of what he has ever carried over to csssette/CD/digital because most of it was garbage.

Only difference for games now is this bullshit with DLC. Color me surprised that RE2 and DMC5 were full games with unlockable modes and bonuses.

ValetinedeletesGyro

Another anime autist
kiwifarms.net
Devil May Cry 5 was good though still underwhelming compared to its progenitor Devil May Cry 3.

I am curious to see if Bayonetta 3 can manage to top Devil May Cry 5. After all, besides a scarce few non-pretentious indies, Platinum Game is the only company keeping the spirit of classic games in mind.

Last edited:

No creativity

kiwifarms.net
I've stopped buying AAA games a while ago. I don't think that modern games are necessarily shit, I'm sure some of them are even great, but when there's plenty of great Retro or Indie games out there I don't see why I wouldn't just play those instead.

Imagine that we lived in an alternate universe where Anthem was good, I could buy it, sure, but I could also buy the whole Might&Magic series that I've also been wanting to play for like one sixth of the price on GoG, and I wouldn't be giving my money to EA.

Last edited:

Qi Meng Dealer

kiwifarms.net
There are so many good games that you can now get into a cycle:

1. Buy quality older releases for cheap.
  2. Finish what you bought.
  3. After 2, those new AAA releases have already fallen in price to sale levels.
  4. Do step 1, but now with those older AAA releases in step 3.

That said, I still feel that there are games today that still merit day one purchases (RDR2, Sekiro, etc.). It's really up to you to determine if you need to play it now or if you can wait later.

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I had an Atari ST back in the day. A bloody excellent little 16 bit box, but like all 16 bit systems it was limited. So the best games on it were those where the gameplay was developed first and everything else grew up around it. Turrican II, for instance, they started with making a super smooth jump and run and shoot experience with unusual weapons and then built the rest of the game around that (including the ace chiptune music.) Deuteros was basically a spreadsheet but they made it as atmospheric as they could while still ensuring it was fun. And Carrier Command ensured it had the resource management and island battles and everything fitting together and did the graphics later.

The point is, if your gameplay blows, or is broken, the rest of your game can be as lovely as you want but it'll still be a bad game. Shadow of the Beast was a perfect example. It was all "muh 17 layer parallax scrolling" but the gameplay was fundamentally unsatisfying.

Haramburger

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
kiwifarms.net
I was at a party recently where the homeowner had an SNES classic on his TV, I fired it up and knocked out the first two levels of Super Ghouls and Ghosts and the bitches were all up on me after the pirate ships. Playing old video games should not get you pussy but unbelievably it does.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
I think a big problem, at least for me, is that modern games and especially AAA games takes so long to get into. Not that they're complex but from pressing start to when I'm finished with the intro/tutorial/babby's first mission I save and quit, I only play in short bursts, the next day when I think about picking it up again I don't feel any real interest because my impression of the game is based on that tedious introduction.

Bayonetta was a game that did the right thing, it didn't start with a tutorial or a ton of story instead it starts you on the falling clock tower fighting a bunch of stuff, so press the buttons, see what happens, beat some enemies, get a feel for what the game is like. That makes the player more interested and receptive of the tutorial that follows. Making the loading screens a place to practice was also a smart move. It's an action game so lead with the action, it's what the player bought the game for.

Starting with a ton of story is often a bad idea, Sword of Mana on the GBA starts with 20 minutes of text boxes and 3D Zelda games have you collecting chickens and talking to people for what seems like hours before you're allowed to do some Zelda'ing.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think a big problem, at least for me, is that modern games and especially AAA games takes so long to get into. Not that they're complex but from pressing start to when I'm finished with the intro/tutorial/babby's first mission I save and quit, I only play in short bursts, the next day when I think about picking it up again I don't feel any real interest because my impression of the game is based on that tedious introduction.

The usual hour long tutorial for a lot of games is a bitch. As much as I love Alien Isolation I wish you could just skip the tutorial section after beating it once. That should be an option for all games. Same thing with Bulletstorm which was an awesome FPS.

Anyone mention Dusk yet? Because this kicks fucking ass and I need to replay it.

This is a superb Hexen/Heretic homage without the incredibly confusing map design:

Really looking forward to this one:

This one is on Kickstarter and I hope it doesn't fall flat on its face like so many Kickstarter games:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
Anyone mention Dusk yet? Because this kicks fucking ass and I need to replay it.

The recent free episode that Machine Games made for Quake was good as well, it showed what modern sensibilities can do with map design and flow of combat. I actually liked it better than the original Quake, though I never thought that the single player was particularly great, Ritual's expansion was better.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The recent free episode that Machine Games made for Quake was good as well, it showed what modern sensibilities can do with map design and flow of combat. I actually liked it better than the original Quake, though I never thought that the single player was particularly great, Ritual's expansion was better.

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks. First time I played Quake was on the N64 and it was okay. I played it again years later on PC and was left with the same "okay-ness" about it. Then I realized that I played without the Trent Reznor score. I rectified that and it's funny how much that score affects the game. It really brings out the horror of that game.

J

JM 590

kiwifarms.net
Starting with a ton of story is often a bad idea, Sword of Mana on the GBA starts with 20 minutes of text boxes and 3D Zelda games have you collecting chickens and talking to people for what seems like hours before you're allowed to do some Zelda'ing.

For real. I bought Zelda: Twilight Princess on launch day on Wii, only to end up playing it for maybe two hours and never touching it again. I think I dropped it right after you become a wolf.

That whole game just had a terribly unappealing style, and the forced motion controls more or less guarantee that I'll never give it another chance, unless it comes in some kind of Zelda collection on Switch someday.

No creativity

kiwifarms.net

Bayonetta was a game that did the right thing, it didn't start with a tutorial or a ton of story instead it starts you on the falling clock tower fighting a bunch of stuff, so press the buttons, see what happens, beat some enemies, get a feel for what the game is like. That makes the player more interested and receptive of the tutorial that follows. Making the loading screens a place to practice was also a smart move. It's an action game so lead with the action, it's what the player bought the game for.

The most annoying part about the Sword of Mana introductory cutscene is that it would still convey what's going on without any text and there's plenty of dialogue and flashbacks later in the game explaining what happened in case someone couldn't understand something.

Last edited:

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
For real. I bought Zelda: Twilight Princess on launch day on Wii, only to end up playing it for maybe two hours and never touching it again. I think I dropped it right after you become a wolf.

That whole game just had a terribly unappealing style, and the forced motion controls more or less guarantee that I'll never give it another chance, unless it comes in some kind of Zelda collection on Switch someday.