Are new games really worth it, or can we get by on retro titles? - Virgin Microtransactions Versus The Chad Retro Finished Product.

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

What games do you think are overall better to play, all things considered?

• Modern titles

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Retro Titles

Votes: 67 59.8%
  • Don't you hsave a fucking PHONE?!

Votes: 34 30.4%

• Total voters

Qi Meng Dealer

kiwifarms.net
I think a big problem, at least for me, is that modern games and especially AAA games takes so long to get into. Not that they're complex but from pressing start to when I'm finished with the intro/tutorial/babby's first mission I save and quit, I only play in short bursts, the next day when I think about picking it up again I don't feel any real interest because my impression of the game is based on that tedious introduction.

Bayonetta was a game that did the right thing, it didn't start with a tutorial or a ton of story instead it starts you on the falling clock tower fighting a bunch of stuff, so press the buttons, see what happens, beat some enemies, get a feel for what the game is like. That makes the player more interested and receptive of the tutorial that follows. Making the loading screens a place to practice was also a smart move. It's an action game so lead with the action, it's what the player bought the game for.

Starting with a ton of story is often a bad idea, Sword of Mana on the GBA starts with 20 minutes of text boxes and 3D Zelda games have you collecting chickens and talking to people for what seems like hours before you're allowed to do some Zelda'ing.
For real. I bought Zelda: Twilight Princess on launch day on Wii, only to end up playing it for maybe two hours and never touching it again. I think I dropped it right after you become a wolf.

That whole game just had a terribly unappealing style, and the forced motion controls more or less guarantee that I'll never give it another chance, unless it comes in some kind of Zelda collection on Switch someday.

If you have the chance to try out Breath of the Wild, you should. Upon your Link waking up, you just have a quick run-through of the actions you can do (essentially just screens showing you buttons to press, but you're not required to press said buttons) as you move along the cave then after you get outside, you're free to dick around the area. You can even get outside the starter cave in under 5 minutes, if I recall correctly, since you're free to run past the beginner items in the cave.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
If you have the chance to try out Breath of the Wild, you should. Upon your Link waking up, you just have a quick run-through of the actions you can do (essentially just screens showing you buttons to press, but you're not required to press said buttons) as you move along the cave then after you get outside, you're free to dick around the area. You can even get outside the starter cave in under 5 minutes, if I recall correctly, since you're free to run past the beginner items in the cave.

I've actually played some of that and it was a refreshing change of pace, part of what made interested was that it seemed like a quick start. Some day I should get back into it and for once all those prompts that explains that "this is a blue rupee/arrow/hazelnut/a small boys snail-poo collection, use it to..." will serve their intended purpose.

J

JM 590

kiwifarms.net

I cautiously tried Breath of the Wild on a Wii U emulator and liked it so much I went out and bought it on Switch. It's my favorite Zelda game now, and it's better than the ones I played as a kid and have rose-tinted glasses for.

Fashy Airship

A Thoughtful Mind
kiwifarms.net
Am I alone in saying that the golden age of AAA gaming was probably just before or at the Call of Duty 2/3 and World at War era? This will have been about 2007-9? You had a metric tonne of private servers running COD multiplayer games with custom mods and maps out the wazoo and some of the best examples of indie-coders making a game actually better within the framework of a decent FPS.

It was pretty much peak FPS games and downhill after that. I've noticed that all big game companies hard-code the fck out of games to prevent 'illegal' mods taking place. When in actual fact those mods often fixed the bugs and glitches the AAA devs were too lazy to mend themselves.

With all the special-edition this, lootcrate that, pay-to-win crap. The retro-game scene and Steam are a saving grave. Plus we'll have to see what Cyberpunk 2077 turns into.

Last edited:

Rand /pol/

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No.

Am I alone in saying that the golden age of AAA gaming was probably just before or at the Call of Duty 2/3 and World at War era? This will have been about 2007-9? You had a metric tonne of private servers running COD multiplayer games with custom mods and maps out the wazoo and some of the best examples of indie-coders making a game actually better within the framework of a decent FPS.
The thing I find funny about this post is 10 years ago people were saying the same thing about how COD shooters were awful and destroying the game industry.

Troonos

Regrettable Cake Farts
kiwifarms.net
As usual, the correct solution is somewhere in the middle. Modern games are absolute shallow garbage, but retro games tend to feel clunky and tedious because they lack the QoL improvements that they inspired in later games. The sweet spot is the aughts. Games from 2000-2010 are the only ones I can tolerate anymore.

Rap Scallion

Always ringing, never answering
kiwifarms.net
For real. I bought Zelda: Twilight Princess on launch day on Wii, only to end up playing it for maybe two hours and never touching it again. I think I dropped it right after you become a wolf.

That whole game just had a terribly unappealing style, and the forced motion controls more or less guarantee that I'll never give it another chance, unless it comes in some kind of Zelda collection on Switch someday.

I don't think the Gamecube version was any better, honestly. I feel like TP gets far too much credit considering how mediocre so much of it is, but BOTW finally renewed my faith in the series. It's a genuinely fun game with the sheer amount of exploring you can do from the start if that's your thing.