Are there Any Woke Properties that you Unironically Enjoy?

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

soy_king

Joshua Connor Moon: Born to the Broom
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to be honest, I kind of enjoyed Derry Girls as a guilty pleasure, even though it's fairly woke and ends with Chelsea Clinton's horse mug. Same goes for Succession, though they attempt to satirize wokeness to some extent.

Does anyone have any properties that they enjoy despite their wokeness?

skjora

kiwifarms.net
I guess some books that are heavily inspired by or fully take place in non-european cultures, which could retroactively be popular among the wokes for all I know. Depends on where the needle points on the appropriation-representation scale at a given moment I suppose.
I also rather liked the first couple of seasons of Bojack Horseman.

get_ur_gamon

Ma crew is big and it keeps gettin bigga
kiwifarms.net
The original Mulan Movie. IDK if feminist /girl power = woke tho.

It's just a fun action movie with likeable characters and good music which doesn't beat you over the head with "MEN BAD" every 5 seconds. It's more a critique of blindly following tradition to impress your dead ancestors.

Last edited:

skjora

kiwifarms.net
Much like Parasite, Squid Game was technically woke from a South Korean standpoint, where they argue about the pitfalls of capitalism on a platform like Netflix.

Both were pretty entertaining pieces of work, especially SG episodes that were filled with stuff like this:

Squid Game had some decent acting, cinematography and direction, but the plot was nonsensical. Parasite was as subtle as an impact drill and felt very immature imo. Parasite is basically koreaboo Crash (2004).

The Fuck's Going On Here

kiwifarms.net
Maybe 2018 God of War or WH40K, though I'm not sure how much they'd be considered woke. Some of their creators might be, but not 100% sure about the properties themselves.
Something which I can tell IS woke but still enjoy? Maybe some of the comic books, though they're few and far between and really depends on if/when the story, characterization, etc. is enough to ignore the wokeness.

Cardenio

#SlavaChargers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I liked The Boys Season 1. Even enjoyed most of the cartoon "Animatrix"-like anthology series they made. And Ennis himself is clearly a left leaning person who has an axe to grind with American idealism.

But then they had to inject politics hand over fist into it with S2. Like why can't we just have a silly show where morally shady vigilantes assassinate well deserving superheroes?

Retink

the retard is jamming to brand oldies.
kiwifarms.net
Much like Parasite, Squid Game was technically woke from a South Korean standpoint, where they argue about the pitfalls of capitalism on a platform like Netflix.

Both were pretty entertaining pieces of work, especially SG episodes that were filled with stuff like this:

You know, I think a lot of why these did so well is simply because they had any level of complexity to them. Squid Game is rather stupid when you think about it at all, and really the moral of the story is murky at best, though compared to the utter trash we're constantly seeing in Western media where everything has to be defined as either being pious in every way to the globohomo world view or literally Hitler it's actually refreshing.

I really doubt we'll see anything like a George RR Martin again, as I don't think there's any desire in Western creative to produce anything with any kind of complexity or moral grey area to it. Which is weird because as a kid I remember there being a lot of heroes who were rather flawed people, but I don't think we'll see that again, the last time was what Tony Stark in the original Iron Man, and even then that lasted for only the intro before he became an idealized idiot.

Sho'nuff

Choppin' your pizzeria.
kiwifarms.net
Idk if I would consider minor themes as an over arching "woke" agenda in media. Just from a few of the examples in the thread:
Batman 22: eh, there was a little bit of that "rich white man bad" by default kind of talk, but that's basically all Batman has ever had as bad guys.
Mulan: movie is pretty fair, it's a movie about a female warrior pretending to be a man, and she maintains her feminity anyway... it's a bit on the girl power, but it was made at the peak of girl power.

I honestly can't think of anything that's so heavy on the woke, maybe Kilmonger in BlackPanther. His cringy monologuing comes off extremely hypocritical, although in a lulz worthy sense he just makes himself out to be the stereotypical violent American black so really it's not woke and he is playing the average Chicago resident.