Are there there any actually good mobile games? - Boomer complaints incoming

Cardenio

Earthrocker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can tell you which isn't a good mobile game, Warriors of Waterdeep.

Its got every kind of bullshit monetization I can think of in a single, convenient package. Seriously its almost like distilled example of what people hate about these games. Its turbo-bullshit on parade.

You want paywalls that technically don't exist but practically do because you can, in theory, grind for two months to get up one tiny rung? Done. You want two types of currency, gold and gems, both you can pay actual cash for? Done. You want random loot drops? Happening man. You want treasure chests that require anywhere from EIGHT TO TWELVE hours to open? That you can pay gems (and therefore real cash) to open faster? Done. If something kills you, you can use gems to get another chance right away to keep playing? Consider it done. Want a VIP monthly subscription option that costs TEN FUCKING DOLLARS A MONTH ON A MOBILE GAME THAT APPARENTLY THINKS IT HOLDS THE SAME SUBSCRIBE-ABLE VALUE AS FUCKING WORLD OF WARCRAFT OR A REAL MMO? One that taunts you at the end of dungeons offering 320 gold coin drops instead of the paultry 12 you earned normally? This game has it all!!
I hope it has the now standard "You want double the worthless doodads? Come watch this ad."

dreamworks face

Model bugman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thanks all, looks like ports of "real" games are the way to go. Is the FFVI Android port any good? That's something I've had my eye on.

It looks like ass to me (I hate what they did to the character sprites in this port), if you can stand that go for it.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sentinels of the Multiverse like @Crichax mentioned is good if you like card/board games other games that are good if you like that kind of thing: Spectromancer, Lords of Waterdeep, Ticket to Ride and Drive on Moscow.

Dream Quest is a good rogue deck building style game but the art isn’t great.

The most impressive mobile exclusive game I’ve played is Starbase Orion if you like 4x (Master of Orion 2) style games, it’s a bit old now but they updated and balanced the game for 6 years for free without adding any DLC.

Teri-Teri

「SUN DANCE」
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Try Honkai Impact 3rd. It's like Bayonetta in a mobile game.

If you don't want weeb shit try Plants vs Zombies 1 or Night of the Full Moon.

Clop

kiwifarms.net
I think Kingdom Rush is a mobile game originally. I played the PC version and it was one of the better tower defense games I played.

harbleglarb

kiwifarms.net
What about Monument Valley?
this right here. Monument Valley is an absolutely gorgeous little puzzle game that gets pretty brain-busting at points. also has DLC and a sequel (though i haven't played 2 yet).

i'd also recommend Card Crawl. it's a solo card game themed around dungeon crawling that has some really charming art and is decently challenging (though you might not like it if you don't like RNG). it has a free version you can try if you want to see what it's like before buying.

Underhand is another card-based game that's completely free. it's a game about building up a cult and summoning Lovecraftian gods. this one also has RNG to it but there's definitely strategy involved as well. it doesn't have a lot of variety though and i believe it's fairly easy to see/get through all the content quickly. Card Crawl lasts longer since there's more to unlock in that game.

The Last Stand

I don't want to sound racist, but...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The only good games on mobile are games that did not originally come out on mobile, because they're typically not infected by the garbage race-to-the-bottom aspects of the mobile gaming market (free to play, aggressive monetization, addictive skinner box aspects).
Case in point, one example I could think of. GTA: Chinatown Wars. Although originally made for the Nintendo DS (and later ported to PSP, than mobile devices), the aesthetic style and touch controls work well with a phone or tablet. If you like open world games or GTA, I'd recommend that one. Not to mention a self contained story that is humorous and serious by itself and fits with GTA.

ZehnBoat

world is a fuck
kiwifarms.net
i would recommend trainyard and trainyard EX
one is "the full game"
and the other is "the demo" that is just as big as the full game and neither version shares the same levels
so in reality they are two different games

Crocketron

Friendly eldritch horror
kiwifarms.net
To be entirely fair Granblue added the spark system, tl;dr for everyone is: if you pull 300 times in one "banner" you get to handpick a character on rate up with no strings attached as long as you meet those conditions and you can do this as a f2p. Which if we wanted to break it down to USD that is slightly over 800 USD I believe which to most people is laughable amounts of money for a waifu png, but that is pretty dirt cheap for gacha autism, FGO hits 5 figures multiple times I believe.

The spark system was added after a producer change to counteract this very issue, though I believe this incident is what got the Japanese government to actually make laws to force pull rates to be shown in gachas in Japan. So arguably Granblue fixed that entire issue despite starting it in the first place, and refunded that person with its monopoly money for all that is worth. But yeah gacha autism is real, all of them have stories like this to be honest if you look hard enough Granblue just was one of the first headlines. Why Dragalia lost doesn't have the spark system at all despite being made by the same company is beyond me.

Hot damn did not know about the spark system. Dragalia had a pity system though people bitched about it as it was rarer to get a dragon or a hero as all your pity pulls would have gone into a a pull consisting of three items (Wyrmprints, dragons and heroes) they reworked the system so Wyrmprints won't be in the Gacha pull but did during the FEH promo event. That and once you get that hero, any dupes will be converted so most of your pulls would be mostly for Dragons and heroes you don't have.

IceGray

"Dude, where's the bus?"
kiwifarms.net
How about The Blockheads? It's a survival sim where you don't have to buy anything with real money to progress. While it has a timer system, you can tab out of the app and let the blockhead do its thing.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
Hot damn did not know about the spark system. Dragalia had a pity system though people bitched about it as it was rarer to get a dragon or a hero as all your pity pulls would have gone into a a pull consisting of three items (Wyrmprints, dragons and heroes) they reworked the system so Wyrmprints won't be in the Gacha pull but did during the FEH promo event. That and once you get that hero, any dupes will be converted so most of your pulls would be mostly for Dragons and heroes you don't have.

Yeah DL took a lot of major steps and I'm impressed they responded so fast to the Wyrmprint issue, just GBF is obviously more developed and DL ultimately is trying to play like an easier to get into GBF from what I've seen and the developers have explained. They even added GBF's surprise ticket deals with the dream summon special from a little while ago, every gacha just needs something like that in my opinion as it encourages spending from more light-moderate spenders. Because light-moderate spending in most gachas isn't really that different from a full f2p experience except you get even saltier on average and that just sucks.

BillyGoat2

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well since ports count, osrs, old school RuneScape, is one of the best mobile games if you have a screen big enough for it.

DiabeticSP

kiwifarms.net
For management autism with just enough depth to keep my mind occupied: Motorsport Manager 3. Even if you dont know cars its fun as fuck and not too complex. Hiring drivers/engineers, spending money on parts, balancing the budget.

No ads or p2w mechanics either. But I would recommend bumping it to hard or its pretty simple.

Port wise Rollercoaster Tycoon is hard to beat, just make sure you get the port and not the shit ass mobile f2p garbage.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All I want is to pay some money and in return get a game. A whole game. That I can play on my phone. I don't want a pay-to-win Skinner box, I don't want something advertised on Youtube by people who can't read a script, and I don't want something with stolen Age of Empires II graphics that's advertised with anime waifu boobs.

Am I too old to want such a game? Or does this magical game actually exist?

In this thread, can we recommend good mobile games. Preferably games with a pay-up-front business model, but maybe some F2P games if their business model isn't overly exploitative. Personally my preference is for turn-based strategy, roguelikes and JRPGs, but let's not limit ourselves to just my preferences because I'm sure many of us want something fun to do with our phones that isn't reading Dynastia posts.

So please Kiwis, what mobile games are actually good?

Runescape