Arin Hanson / Egoraptor / Grump - "Hey I'm Grump!" of Game Grumps fame, hypocritical SJW doxer, shat himself recording a let's play

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
My God, last time I watched Markiplier was probably around 12/13 during the drunk minecraft days. Stopped watching when he started capitalizing on the whole "I'm such a nice guy, I love all of my followers, you're all unique and beautiful, don't skip my ads" spiel. Last thing I heard was that he was selling overpriced "gamer clothes" (whatever that's supposed to be) to his mostly underage fangirls.

Guess he hasn't become a better person since then.
He's a regular fixture on Player Select, a Disney XD show where they filter out the swears and show clips of streamers playing streamerbait games. his young kid fanbase is only continuing to grow. To be fair, if Markiplier slid back 30 years in time, he'd definitely have a morning radio show or work on the local news. He has the face, charisma and voice to be pretty successful in almost any form of broadcasting.

Despite being a famous streamer, Arin isn't featured on this show, because it isn't his and he doesn't control it. Markiplier is fine sharing screentime with JackSepticEye, Ihascupquake, Dantdm, etc. It's just more revenue, and he likes playing games. Arin could never diversify his presence in this way; had to be the star of the Youtube Red gamer sitcom, for example.

DickMain

The day Dick graced your village
kiwifarms.net
It's supposed to be a soviet off-brand version of mario. They arent super known for off-brand stuff here so it's kind of a dumb name.
I think the name has to do with something I heard Arin waxing historical about years ago. Something about how the Japanese referred to Mario as a 'jumping game' in terms of genre where we refer to them as 'platformers'. I forget why he brought it up, but, I do remember hearing it.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Neurotic Loser

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
I think the name has to do with something I heard Arin waxing historical about years ago. Something about how the Japanese referred to Mario as a 'jumping game' in terms of genre where we refer to them as 'platformers'. I forget why he brought it up, but, I do remember hearing it.
Well he was originally named 'Jumpman" and his official Nintendo full name is "Mario Jumpman Mario" for his first/middle/last.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
So the game has ties with Soviet Russia? Is this because of an old Mario joke or is Arin trying to support communism in his own special way?
I legitimately don't understand why it's themed around Soviet Russia either, and I think that's the biggest problem this game has.

The game's entire theme is based off of the premise that this is a bootleg battle royale game for a real-life bootleg console made in Soviet Russia. Completely disregarding the fact that battle royale as a genre didn't exist back then and that the game supposedly had online "back then", this concept only really works if you followed along with, and enjoyed, the ARG leading up to it. And if you didn't like, nor care, about either, this game has nothing that appeals to anybody.

It looks like shit, the netcode is trash, the game is still a buggy mess and crashes constantly even after the 1.0 release, everything's in badly-translated Russian so you won't even be able to understand any of the jokes even if you're Russian, it feels like it's making light, vibrant, and colorful fun of the USSR and Stalin-era rhetoric because "lol Russian" without understanding why that may be a bit off-putting to people, the Grumps aren't in it whatsoever except as prizes in lootboxes, the game was a microtransaction-heavy mess even when it was in beta, the soundtrack is ear-bleeding so you can't even listen to something else in the background while you're playing it, it's a blatant ripoff of a much better Mario BR game that people loved and just reopens old wounds for people who enjoyed that over this, you can't really tell what powerups do what at a glance (or if you even have power-ups to begin with), so the game isn't even fun to watch, the game isn't stylized as an old CRT retro game like Shovel Knight or The Messenger, so the blocky people and environments look like someone trying to make a "modern" version of 8-bit characters while still making them weirdly smooth and clean...

...And most importantly: there's no target audience for this. Who's their main demographic? Is it cartoony enough for kids to latch onto? Is it supposed to appeal to adults who love old games? Because it feels like it's trying to be both by mashing the two styles together and it just ends up looking like a mess as a result.

But I can't actually tell if it's doing that either! Because this game has no focus. Dream Daddy had a focus: dating sim, LGBT, progressive, slightly realistic Tumblr-esque art style. Bam, done. Whether or not it was good didn't matter; at least it could stand on its own, and any casual consumer can understand the game's whole thing very easily.

Soviet Jump Game ticks off every single check box for what people hate in video games nowadays.

EDIT: Lemme put it like this: it's like Battleborn, except strip anything out that would indicate that it was supposed to be an Overwatch ripoff from it so it's just part of a genre, recolor everything in the game bright red + any of the other most visually annoying "fuck you" colors on the spectrum that you could find, and make every other character besides the default only available through lootboxes. That's Soviet Jump Game.

EDIT 2: Fixed grammatical errors.

Last edited:

Crescent Fresh

kiwifarms.net
It's supposed to be a soviet off-brand version of mario. They arent super known for off-brand stuff here so it's kind of a dumb name.
That’s a really weird part about it, because “Russian bootleg” really, really isn’t a well-known thing, however “Chinese bootleg” is an incredibly common term these days.

“A 2D Battle Royale styled after a retro Chinese bootleg” is easy and to the point.

“A 2D Battle Royale pretending to be an old forgotten game from an actual Russian bootleg NES system that barely anyone’s heard about, taking the form of a Mario clone with over-the-top Russian theming” is a giant mess in comparison.

Edit: Forgot to hit post, refreshed the page, and @OmnipotentStupidity has heavily elaborated on my latter point in a far better way than I could. Good read.

supremeautismo

kiwifarms.net
That’s a really weird part about it, because “Russian bootleg” really, really isn’t a well-known thing, however “Chinese bootleg” is an incredibly common term these days.

“A 2D Battle Royale styled after a retro Chinese bootleg” is easy and to the point.
Because Chinese bootleg could be interpreted as raaaaaaaacist!

In other news, the autists at /r/rantgrumps are convinced that Arin has done illegal shit with money (Archive). The general consensus is that Arin may be incompetent as hell, but smart enough to not evade taxes. Most likely, if anything, he put down dumb expenditures as "business expenses," although why that would inspire another YT-er to accuse him of doing "illegal stuff" that blatantly remains to be seen. It's such an offhand comment that it likely doesn't really mean anything serious, but the comments are stating that Chris Ray Gunn is a source of info (or Oney? all hearsay).

Jaded Optimist

Me love you long time
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sorry to bring up Stamper again, I'm archiving again but don't know what I'm going to do with it (maybe a newgrounds alumni thread?). I just figured since Stamper has been brought up a bunch here and was a recent discussion, this might be relevant.

I guess Stamper is in Wyoming to see his mom. She posted pics and our boy is looking rough.
Screenshot_2020-07-22-21-54-36-1.pngEdldWDNXoAESeE0.jpegEdldWDOWsAA5UPv.jpeg
stark contrast to the pics Stamper posts of himself

Last edited:

Suck the Cock

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

“A 2D Battle Royale pretending to be an old forgotten game from an actual Russian bootleg NES system that barely anyone’s heard about, taking the form of a Mario clone with over-the-top Russian theming” is a giant mess in comparison.
You know, that actually would make for a funny game. Imagine an intentional Chinese bootleg made by halfway competent devs. Weird censorship and off-brand trademarks shoved in a game with shitty translations and CCP propaganda. Russia parodies are old hat, everyone knows the cold war propaganda. China's on everyone's mind, and there's a whole untapped well of humor to draw from. They'd also need to make, you know, a competent game on top of it, but still. Just for meme potential People's Republic Jump Game is funnier than Soviet Jump Game. Once again, lolcows prove themselves capable of ruining every potentially good idea.

Crescent Fresh

kiwifarms.net
You know, that actually would make for a funny game. Imagine an intentional Chinese bootleg made by halfway competent devs. Weird censorship and off-brand trademarks shoved in a game with shitty translations and CCP propaganda. Russia parodies are old hat, everyone knows the cold war propaganda. China's on everyone's mind, and there's a whole untapped well of humor to draw from. They'd also need to make, you know, a competent game on top of it, but still. Just for meme potential People's Republic Jump Game is funnier than Soviet Jump Game. Once again, lolcows prove themselves capable of ruining every potentially good idea.
You don’t even need the “propaganda” since that’s never really been a significant part of bootlegs to begin with and it still somewhat confuses me why SJG made it a massive part of its theming, just make it a massive off-brand crossover. Have not-Mario and not-Sonic jumping around and trying to kill each other, that kind of thing.

It could even make the monetization thing far more interesting to people as you could have parodies of specific retro games and characters for people to get. Want to run around as, say, not-Simon Belmont as a purely cosmetic change? That’s a few extra dollars.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, one of the most infamous bootleg video games out there actually is full of propaganda... for the Chinese, Hong Kong ‘97. That’s certainly not the kind of thing to base a full BR around, but, for example, have you heard of literally any bootlegs filled with Russian propaganda before? If any exist, they’re far, far less common.

Last edited:

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I legitimately don't understand why it's themed around Soviet Russia either, and I think that's the biggest problem this game has.

The game's entire theme is based off of the premise that this is a bootleg battle royale game for a real-life bootleg console made in Soviet Russia. Completely disregarding the fact that battle royale as a genre didn't exist back then and that the game supposedly had online "back then", this concept only really works if you followed along with, and enjoyed, the ARG leading up to it. And if you didn't like, nor care, about either, this game has nothing that appeals to anybody.
The entire theme is based in a single concept - that they're basically stealing a game (the Mario Battle Royale that got shut down, and Mario in general) but trying to make it "OK" by being ironic about the fact it's a "bootleg". It looks like Mario, the gameplay loop is like Mario, the world (complete with pipes as a movement object) looks like Mario, the obstacles/powerups/etc are all like Mario - but it's ok! It's ironic! It isn't blatant theft of someone else's concept - don't you get irony?

That's as far as they thought it through.

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
I think the biggest failure people haven't mentioned regarding Soviet Jump Game is that it just feels like shit to play. Mario Royale's physics were 1:1 to SMB, and that game controls great even 35 years later. In SJG I struggle just to jump unto a pipe without overshooting.
So you're saying it plays like a Newgrounds Mario flash game? God that sounds cancerous.

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
You don’t even need the “propaganda” since that’s never really been a significant part of bootlegs to begin with and it still somewhat confuses me why SJG made it a massive part of its theming, just make it a massive off-brand crossover. Have not-Mario and not-Sonic jumping around and trying to kill each other, that kind of thing.

It could even make the monetization thing far more interesting to people as you could have parodies of specific retro games and characters for people to get. Want to run around as, say, not-Simon Belmont as a purely cosmetic change? That’s a few extra dollars.
They could have basically made the battle royal equivalent of bro-force, except with video game characters/franchises instead of action heroes. Make a basic unlock system, like play X games or get X kills for the initial unlock/to dangle something in front of the players to keep them playing, then paywall some characters/skins and there you go. I think it'd still end up being a mediocre game overall and probably quickly forgotten about, but as low of a bar as it is, I think it would have been more successful than the game they actually made.

I wonder how much of the development was just inspired by Arin wanting to do the bootleg video. Based on those other videos with him playing his uncle character, it seems like he's more interested in, and I use this term in the loosest way possible, ARG style content without having said content lead to anything meaningful because that's the part that actually takes effort.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
For the sake of completeness, Arin has somehow got himself into a position at the xbox games showcase happening tomorrow. Top autists are already on the case prepped to laugh at the whole shebang here.
By the way, speaking of that event: can we talk about all those people who fucking hated Arin in that stream chat? And how Arin had no screen presence for that entire thing and kept dodging every single question they threw at him? Like holy shit dude: I get he thinks gaming is a chore nowadays and he's never played on Xbox. But how can you go on to a conference like that, with all of those people, and have less to say about how good Xbox is than fucking Ninja?

EDIT: I fucking despise autocorrect.

Last edited:

MahFibro!

kiwifarms.net
By the way, speaking of that event, can we talk about all those people who fucking hated Arin in that stream chat? And how Arin had no screen presence for that entire thing and kept dodging every single question they through at him? Like holy shit dude: I get he thinks gaming is a chore nowadays and he's never played on Xbox, how can you go on to a conference like that, with all of those people, and have less to say about how good Xbox is than fucking Ninja?
I'm more wondering why he was included in the first place? It's clearly not his platform of choice.

Coach McGuirk

Alcoholic Soccer Coach
kiwifarms.net
Sorry to bring up Stamper again, I'm archiving again but don't know what I'm going to do with it (maybe a newgrounds alumni thread?). I just figured since Stamper has been brought up a bunch here and was a recent discussion, this might be relevant.

I guess Stamper is in Wyoming to see his mom. She posted pics and our boy is looking rough.
View attachment 1467176View attachment 1467178View attachment 1467179
stark contrast to the pics Stamper posts of himself
Arin seemingly can't make anything creative, without making some sort of ARG meta reason as to why it's bad. He did it with his book and with his game. He clearly knows what he's making is shit, he just wants to turn it into ironic shit.

And if were talking about Stamper he has a twitch channel called DickPlanet, doing that is at least better than making crazy videos at his sisters house.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
My God, last time I watched Markiplier was probably around 12/13 during the drunk minecraft days. Stopped watching when he started capitalizing on the whole "I'm such a nice guy, I love all of my followers, you're all unique and beautiful, don't skip my ads" spiel. Last thing I heard was that he was selling overpriced "gamer clothes" (whatever that's supposed to be) to his mostly underage fangirls.

Guess he hasn't become a better person since then.
His work with Unus Annus is a bit edgier and shows that he is capable of being critical of people. Which makes their blatant GG shilling all the worse. I'd say he's one of, if not the, most capable of all these cishet youtubers. Jacksepticeye for example is a colossal cuck, even with his "muh depression" and "i dont talk with my parents" stories.

MahFibro!

kiwifarms.net
His work with Unus Annus is a bit edgier and shows that he is capable of being critical of people. Which makes their blatant GG shilling all the worse. I'd say he's one of, if not the, most capable of all these cishet youtubers. Jacksepticeye for example is a colossal cuck, even with his "muh depression" and "i dont talk with my parents" stories.
Speaking of Unus Annus/GG shilling - Ethan had been dragged into playing SJG the other night.

The spike in new players got nowhere near Markiplier's number (think it peaked at just over 200?); but the shilling continues.