Arin Hanson / Egoraptor / Grump - "Hey I'm Grump!" of Game Grumps fame, hypocritical SJW doxer, shat himself recording a let's play

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
Somewhat big news: we now have the fine details about Arin's financial situation through several resources. Specifically: we know how badly they're struggling financially thanks to CNN Politics showcasing detailed data of these companies through the Small Business Administration, alongside previous data from Dun & Bradstreet. Now bear in mind: this only counts Game Grumps, not any other avenues such as RGT, Dream Daddy, SJG, Ghost Hunters Adventure Club, et al as GG are technically considered publishers of all of these ventures, and as such they're treated as separate entities.

Game Grumps Inc. originally had 16 listed employees and was located in Glendale back when the information by D&B was collected back in 2014. They also, at the time, made an estimated annual revenue of $157,699 through YouTube profits alone.
As of 2020, Game Grumps Inc. has since relocated to Encino, CA, employs around 20 direct employees and, alongside a slew of many other small businesses and YouTubers, had filed for and received a government bailout from the Paycheck Protection Program (thanks to COVID-19) of anywhere from $150,000-$350,000 all the way back in April 11th, 2020.
Game Grumps also appears to be an S-Corp, so...that's also a thing.

Now, I'm not really a business major or anything, but even I know bullshit when I smell it: how shit is their income that they actually needed to accept a bailout for the same amount + more that they would've been making annually back then?

Last edited:

SuicideBear

kiwifarms.net
Somewhat big news: we now have the fine details about Arin's financial situation through several resources. Specifically: we know how badly they're struggling financially thanks to CNN Politics showcasing detailed data of these companies through the Small Business Administration, alongside previous data from Dun & Bradstreet. Now bear in mind: this only counts Game Grumps, not any other avenues such as RGT, Dream Daddy, SJG, Ghost Hunters Adventure Club, et al as GG are technically considered publishers of all of these ventures, and as such they're treated as separate entities.

Game Grumps Inc. originally had 16 listed employees and was located in Glendale back when the information by D&B was collected back in 2014. They also, at the time, made an estimated annual revenue of $157,699 through YouTube profits alone.
As of 2020, Game Grumps Inc. has since relocated to Encino, CA, employs around 20 direct employees and, alongside a slew of many other small businesses and YouTubers, had filed for and received a government bailout from the Paycheck Protection Program (thanks to COVID-19) of anywhere from $150,000-$350,000 all the way back in April 11th, 2020.
Game Grumps also appears to be an S-Corp, so...that's also a thing.

Now, I'm not really a business major or anything, but even I know bullshit when I smell it: how shit is their income that they actually needed to accept a bailout for the same amount + more that they would've been making annually back then?

I'm going to power level a tiny bit here because I want to put this into perspective for people. Personally, I am a business major and I have some experience in the YouTube game. Game Grumps as a company both fascinates and baffles me because, it's just... holy shit, dude.

Allow me to frame this properly so you can understand just bad these guys are doing.

The way YouTube ad revenue works is dual-functioned; you got volume and impressions. Volume is how many advertisements people see on your videos and impressions are how many ads are clicked on your videos. Most of your revenue comes from volume. The way volume is calculated is advertisements served per thousand views, otherwise referred to as CPM (Cost Per Mille). Now, not all videos serve the same number of ads and not all ad rolls and ad clicks pay the same; that varies from ad to ad, company to company. While exactly how much you do end up getting paid at the end of each month is pretty ambiguous, YouTube does give you an approximate metric with your CPM rate. Before the adpocalypse in 2016, the average CPM was somewhere between 0.50$ and 2$ USD, typically leveling out at about 1$ for most people. (I know a lot of shitty websites say that average CPM is 5$-30$, but anybody who's actually done YouTube will tell you that's utter bullshit. Feel free to correct me on any of this- I haven't done YouTube in a while so this info may be partially out of date.)

A good rule of thumb for estimating how much money a video pulled in back then was dividing video's views by 1000 and then multiplying it once every 10 minutes of video length.

Example:
-3 minute video with 100,000 views = 100$
-5 minute video with 2,000,000 views = 2,000$
-11 minute video with 100,000 views = 200$
-13 minute video with 53,000,000 views = 106,000$
-22 minute video with 53,000,000 views = 159,000$

All that being said, the biggest source of income for a channel like Game Grumps is not new uploads, but rather their backlog previous uploads. With a medium as disposable as Let's Plays, the vast majority of videos get 99% of their views within the first 24 hours of being uploaded. That does not mean they stop getting views or making money, however. New uploads on Game Grumps pull in about 100,000-500,000 views each. By that logic, they should only be pulling in 15.5 million views per month at absolute most, right? Wrong. They're pulling in 49.25 million views per month and the reason why is because people rewatch their old videos. 49.25-15.5=33.75. They are getting over double the views on old videos cumulatively than they are on new uploads. That number's only going to get bigger because they upload every single day, leaving viewers with more and more videos to rewatch as they grow their audience.
Now, knowing this, we can properly tackle why Game Grumps is a catastrophe.

Their ad revenue:
That rule of thumb I mentioned earlier? This was before the adpocalypse. Game Grumps was uploading two videos per day, all about ten minutes in length, averaging, what? 300,000 views per video? By all reasonable assumptions, they should have been raking anything between 600$-1200$ per day, every day of the year, which is about 219,000$-438,000$ annually. And yet they only made 158,000$? Before they started going downhill? I know that's not their fault and entirely on YouTube's garbage algorithms, but you really have to think: if they were doing that bad back then, how bad are they doing now? We're in a post-adpocalypse world; YouTube ad revenue has dropped by at least 60% since then. Not to mention, they've gone on record on the algorithm starting to fuck them over more than usual several times.

At generous most, they're making 24,000$ on ad revenue per month these days.

Their Income Streams:
Let's cover Game Grumps' revenue

First off, they have ad revenue. That's about 24,000$ per month.

Secondly, they have merch. God knows how much that makes them. I'd be pretty safe in saying they turn a profit on that racket, but how big of a profit is unknowable without peaking into their ledgers. Shirts and crap are easy to produce, cheap to manufacture, sell at heavily inflated prices and their merch in particular sells out quickly because people have shit taste, I guess. Personally, I get the impression that this is the only thing keeping their boat floating at the moment which would explain why they're so hard into it. At most, they make about 300,000$ off their merch racket per year. I could be wrong about that, though.

Thirdly, they have their touring company, Again, no idea how much this makes them, but I'd be willing to bet they're losing tons of money on it seeing as though you can count the number of clients they've on less than three hands, especially since most of them are "friends."

Fourth, they have their livestreams. I'm behind on my lore on that one. Last I heard they made shitheaps off of donations but then stopped doing them (or significantly cut back. Again, I'm behind on these things) so that's mostly dead in the water. Additionally, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that netted them about 2000$-5000$ per week.

Fifth, they have their liveshows. Probably turn a profit on these too. Their shows pull in a couple of hundred to a couple thousand fans and tickets sell for 25$ each. Renting a venue costs anywhere between 200$-2000$ per hour. I hear they do VIP crap with alcohol, so that's probably a few extra thousand dollars in expenses. This probably makes them a lot of money. Rough ball park of about 50,000$-300,000$ per show.

Last, they have Starbomb and game development. lmao.

Their Employees:
Allow me to list of a couple of quick facts here- help paint you a picture.

Game Grumps employed 16 direct employees in 2014. They had an income of approximately 158,000$ at the time. That means they had a budget of about 9875$ per person annually. Minimum wage in California is currently 13$ per hour. Working 24 hours per week at a Cali McDonald's yields 16,200$ annually. Game Grumps employed sixteen people and yet couldn't afford to pay them half of what you'd make flipping goddamned burgers part-time. And that's before taxes, insurance, legal documentation and corporate benefits. And that's before their overhead like rent, utilities, software and equipment.

According to a Reddit post I can't currently find, they're currently employing 66 people. Sixty-six. What's funny about it is that most of them are goblins he's got working on merch, but not a single person in that ledger was an accountant. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Based on everything we've previously established, I'd guess they currently have a revenue of, at most, 1.5 million dollars per year (Circumstances brought by COVID-19 obviously not withstanding.) Best case scenario, they've got a budget of 22,700$ per person. But, again, that's before you factor in taxes (Hundreds of thousands of dollars), legal documents (thousands of dollars), insurance (Thousands of dollars), hiring costs for new employees (Thousands of dollars per employee), pensions (jesus fucking christ), benefits (You know assisted suicide is legal in California?), rent (Thousands of dollars), utilities (You get the fucking point), software, equipment, producing and manufacturing costs for merch, the money hole that is their touring company, the moving costs seeing as though they can't seem to stick to one office for more than five minutes and whatever equity withdrawals Arin is doubtlessly doing on the regular.

I doubt that Arin is paying a good portion of his people considering how many times he and Dan brings up "interns" and I doubt most of these people work full-time anyway- but, ultimately, the point still stands: Arin is probably paying his people like shit and his company is slowly dying because he's a moron who can't do simple logistics.

TL;DR:
They're not making enough money to cover the number of pay cheques they sign, so they're slowly going under.

EDIT: Fixed some typos

Last edited:

OmnipotentStupidity

kiwifarms.net
Only one small note to add to your autism above, fren.

They were doing THREE episodes a day bare minimum for a while due to Steam Train.
They've also stopped doing live shows themselves since mid-late 2019, and they don't do livestreams on anything other than Soviet Jump Game anymore. And those have done abysmally views/donations-wise in comparison to their other streams/videos.

They also don't rent an office anymore, but they did buy an even bigger space to record in, and essentially had to replace much of their utilities since nearly everything construction-wise from the old office went to complete waste. So much so that the new owners actually complained that they broke the AC, left dangerous hazardous materials behind due to the moldy cheese man bit, and overall just completely fucked over the feng shui of the place something FIERCE.

Sammy

Exhibits no Islamic behavior once given McNuggets
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They also don't rent an office anymore, but they did buy an even bigger space to record in, and essentially had to replace much of their utilities since nearly everything construction-wise from the old office went to complete waste. So much so that the new owners actually complained that they broke the AC, left dangerous hazardous materials behind due to the moldy cheese man bit, and overall just completely fucked over the feng shui of the place something FIERCE.
Just out of curiosity, where are you getting this information? I'm not looking to discredit it or you, I don't read rantgrumps or check twitter or whatever, I'm genuinely curious how people are getting this information and putting the situation together. Like how do you find out what a former office tenant did unless you're looking to rent that exact same space and the owner's willing to reduce the chances of you doing business with him by saying "yeah uh, the former guys brought rats in here with old ass cheese, so uh, we think we got them all, but watch out for that" or whatever?

Anyways

Are... are they just trying to ride the coat tails of ChilledCow now? Like, okay, stagnation bad, can't do the same thing forever, but who was asking for "grumpwave" to study to??

OmnipotentStupidity

kiwifarms.net
Just out of curiosity, where are you getting this information? I'm not looking to discredit it or you, I don't read rantgrumps or check twitter or whatever, I'm genuinely curious how people are getting this information and putting the situation together. Like how do you find out what a former office tenant did unless you're looking to rent that exact same space and the owner's willing to reduce the chances of you doing business with him by saying "yeah uh, the former guys brought rats in here with old ass cheese, so uh, we think we got them all, but watch out for that" or whatever?
A lot of the times, it's because Arin's a fucking moron and, despite every one of the fans telling the Grumps to communicate more...he only seems to communicate the shitty things weirdly enough?

The garage sale getting shut down by the police at specifically 2 p.m.? Announced via Arin's Twitter.
The AC being busted and the former tenants being pissed off about the state of the place? Came from Arin being pissy on Twitter because how dare they take down my gaudy Japanese shit.
Arin's waning issues with the channel? Him getting "hydrated" (drunk) on livestreams or drugged up on painkillers in other playthroughs and letting a lot of internal bullshit slip out.

The Lovelies will call anyone who says these things obsessive and stalker-like, but this was all (and still is) readily available, easily accessible information if you happen to follow the channel in any capacity or even take a cursory look at their social media.

SuicideBear

kiwifarms.net
Small addendum to what I said earlier, but I think the most upsetting thing about Game Grumps' as a business is how they're managing to fuck up what is probably the easiest business model in the world

Let's Playing takes almost exactly the same amount of time to produce as it takes to watch. Let's take a look at it logistically, right.

Arin and Dan sit down on a couch and start recording on a Monday. Let's be super conservative and say they only record for four hours; they often say they record for at least eight, but we'll say four just to highlight how big of a fuckup they are. Again, let's be super conservative and say they're recording 20 minute episodes.

4x60=240
240/20=12

That four hour session gives them twelve episodes of footage. That holds them over for almost two weeks. Of course, it's not just a matter of recording, you have to edit it, too. And this where things get really fucking stupid. Anybody -ANYBODY- who's familiar with video editing software will tell you that editing is the easiest shit ever. Creating an episode of Game Grumps from raw footage is thirty seconds of effort. All you gotta do is drop the footage and the audio into Adobe Premiere, put two cuts at the recorded time codes, drop the segment into a separate sequence, drop the intro and outro before and after the segment and then hit render. Literally thirty seconds of effort. It's monkey work; it could not be simpler.

All you have to do after that point is wait for the render to finish and the watch it back to make sure something didn't go wrong in the rendering process. And then you upload it to YouTube.

When all is said and done, producing 4 hours of content shouldn't take you more than 9 hours. That's one day's work for two weeks of content. 8 hours of content shouldn't take you more than 18 hours to produce and that would leave you set for an entire month.

Yet, for some reason, Dan and Arin constantly complain about being burnt out and working too hard and recording too often and burning the candle at both ends and bitch bitch moan moan. How does that make any sense? If they were doing this properly, they'd be living their lives on vacation like all of their other Let's Player buddies. They have the easiest job in the world and they're still somehow fucking it up catastrophically.

And you know what? That's not the worst part. The worst part is how many editors they hire. Hiring an editor is completely unnecessary. It's justifiable depending on whether or not you can be bothered to do the editing yourself, but it's unnecessary. Most editors get paid about 44k a year. So, on one hand, dropping 44k per year to get some dude to do something you could easily do yourself during your vast swathes of free-time is anything but cost effective. But on the other hand, hire an editor and, for you, two entire month's worth of content only takes 8 hours to make; one day of work and you get two months off.

Hiring two full-time editors for a Let's Play channel, though? That's actually, genuinely, room-temperature IQ level decision making. Like, what the fuck could you possibly EVER need the second one for? I legitimately have no idea.

And you know what really gets me? The editors they hire.

Barry was a golden god. Guy was the patron saint of Game Grumps. Kevin was boring and had some minor slip-ups every now and then, but he was alright. Everybody else, though? Goddamn. How do you fuck up so bad so often at editing a Let's Play? It's at least once a month now where there's some major issue caused by the editing team. And that guy, Ben? Don't even get me started on him.

On top of that, they've hired a total of how many editors now? Six? Over the course of eight years? Really begs the question as to what goes on in that office if people would prefer quit than get paid 44k a year essentially just to show up.

I mean, look at Markiplier, right. Dude has two employees. Two. Not sixty-fucking-six. Two. One helps him with editing, the other, I don't know. Guy never misses an upload. Guy never fucks up his editing. Guy seldom fucks up in any way ever. And the man lives his life on vacation and literally earns around one million dollars per month. Compare him to the Grumps. He does the exact same thing they do and he's infinitely better at it. Not to mention, he doesn't have 66 motherfucking employees

Last edited:

The Cum Consumer

Gimme daddy's cummies UwU
kiwifarms.net
Small addendum to what I said earlier, but I think the most upsetting thing about Game Grumps' as a business is how they're managing to fuck up what is probably the easiest business model in the world

Let's Playing takes almost exactly the same amount of time to produce as it takes to watch. Let's take a look at it logistically, right.

Arin and Dan sit down on a couch and start recording on a Monday. Let's be super conservative and say they only record for four hours; they often say they record for at least eight, but we'll say four just to highlight how big of a fuckup they are. Again, let's be super conservative and say they're recording 20 minute episodes.

4x60=240
240/20=12

That four hour session gives them twelve episodes of footage. That holds them over for almost two weeks. Of course, it's not just a matter of recording, you have to edit it, too. And this where things get really fucking stupid. Anybody -ANYBODY- who's familiar with video editing software will tell you that editing is the easiest shit ever. Creating an episode of Game Grumps from raw footage is thirty seconds of effort. All you gotta do is drop the footage and the audio into Adobe Premiere, put two cuts at the recorded time codes, drop the segment into a separate sequence, drop the intro and outro before and after the segment and then hit render. Literally thirty seconds of effort. It's monkey work; it could not be simpler.

All you have to do after that point is wait for the render to finish and the watch it back to make sure something didn't go wrong in the rendering process. And then you upload it to YouTube.

When all is said and done, producing 4 hours of content shouldn't take you more than 9 hours. That's one day's work for two weeks of content. 8 hours of content shouldn't take you more than 18 hours to produce and that would leave you set for an entire month.

Yet, for some reason, Dan and Arin constantly complain about being burnt out and working too hard and recording too often and burning the candle at both ends and bitch bitch moan moan. How does that make any sense? If they were doing this properly, they'd be living their lives on vacation like all of their other Let's Player buddies. They have the easiest job in the world and they're still somehow fucking it up catastrophically.

And you know what? That's not the worst part. The worst part is how many editors they hire. Hiring an editor is completely unnecessary. It's justifiable depending on whether or not you can be bothered to do the editing yourself, but it's unnecessary. Most editors get paid about 44k a year. So, on one hand, dropping 44k per year to get some dude to do something you could easily do yourself during your vast swathes of free-time is anything but cost effective. But on the other hand, hire an editor and, for you, an entire month's worth of content only takes 8 hours to make; one day of work and you get the rest of the month off.

Hiring two full-time editors for a Let's Play channel, though? That's actually, genuinely, room-temperature IQ level decision making. Like, what the fuck could you possibly EVER need the second one for? I legitimately have no idea.

And you know what really gets me? The editors they hire.

Barry was a golden god. Guy was the patron saint of Game Grumps. Kevin was boring and had some minor slip-ups every now and then, but he was alright. Everybody else, though? Goddamn. How do you fuck up so bad so often at editing a Let's Play? It's at least once a month now where there's some major issue caused by the editing team. And that guy, Ben? Don't even get me started on him.

On top of that, they've hired a total of how many editors now? Six? Over the course of eight years? Really begs the question as to what goes on in that office people would prefer quit than get paid 44k a year essentially just to show up.

And, I mean, look at Markiplier, right. Dude has two employees. Two. Not sixty-fucking-six. Two. One helps him with editing, the other, I don't know. Guy never misses an upload. Guy never fucks up his editing. Guy seldom fucks up in any way ever. And the man lives his life on vacation and literally earns around one million dollars per month. Compare him to the Grumps. He does the exact same thing they do and he's infinitely better at it. Not to mention, he doesn't have 66 motherfucking employees
Don't forget how low the cost of running a LP channel is. The recording equipment can be expensive at first, but it should last you for a while. Same goes for the computer used to record. The only regular expense is buying games. As you said, you can get a lot of content from a single recording session. With two episodes a day, each episode should cost no more than $1 total unless you've been constantly playing AAA games. I don't know if Game Grumps still do this, but in the past they got a lot of their games donated. Seriously, it's crazy how cheap this production should be. I'm pretty sure that the merch is made-to-order, so there's no storage costs or lost merchandise. That means that the merch is pure profit once you pay off the designer. The games might be expensive to produce, but you can always pull the plug or even just put it in development hell if it starts getting too expensive. Dream Daddy sold well, so it's not like they can't turn a profit when they aren't making shitty battle royale games. For Arin's sake, I hope that most of the employee positions are unpaid and that he's personally saving as much of his salary as possible.

SuicideBear

kiwifarms.net
Don't forget how low the cost of running a LP channel is. The recording equipment can be expensive at first, but it should last you for a while. Same goes for the computer used to record. The only regular expense is buying games. As you said, you can get a lot of content from a single recording session. With two episodes a day, each episode should cost no more than $1 total unless you've been constantly playing AAA games. I don't know if Game Grumps still do this, but in the past they got a lot of their games donated. Seriously, it's crazy how cheap this production should be. I'm pretty sure that the merch is made-to-order, so there's no storage costs or lost merchandise. That means that the merch is pure profit once you pay off the designer. The games might be expensive to produce, but you can always pull the plug or even just put it in development hell if it starts getting too expensive. Dream Daddy sold well, so it's not like they can't turn a profit when they aren't making shitty battle royale games. For Arin's sake, I hope that most of the employee positions are unpaid and that he's personally saving as much of his salary as possible.
The one problem with made-to-order is it can be expensive to produce depending on what is being made. Most of what they sell is cheap print-on-demand crap like mugs and shirts. That stuff is pretty inexpensive to make, but that comes at the cost of quality. Of course, most of the lovelies are too stupid to care if their 900$ t-shirt falls apart after a month, so I guess that's not really a problem.

Stuff like statues and figurines, though? Sometimes it's better to risk having a few units waste space in your closet and manufacture a limited run.

boat_rocker

What are you exercising for? You're just gonna die
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I haven't heard about barry ever since he left game grumps. I can't remember what his twitter handles or any other ones he might have had though, I wonder how he's doing. I think its funny that ever since ross left game grumps too it doesn't seem he's been too successful at his own variation of let's play:
1599936038313.png

dude can't even break 100K views when he plays with other popular streams or e-celebs. it seems that once these people leave GG they just kinda fade into obscurity. with how grumps are going right now, maybe that's a good thing.

SuicideBear

kiwifarms.net
I haven't heard about barry ever since he left game grumps. I can't remember what his twitter handles or any other ones he might have had though, I wonder how he's doing. I think its funny that ever since ross left game grumps too it doesn't seem he's been too successful at his own variation of let's play:
View attachment 1591366

dude can't even break 100K views when he plays with other popular streams or e-celebs. it seems that once these people leave GG they just kinda fade into obscurity. with how grumps are going right now, maybe that's a good thing.
Barry has his own channel now. His videos are... okay? Very much "Hi, I'm Joe ThinkPiece™ and welcome to JostledJoySticks.com, where we unironically talk about how PacMan is actually an in-depth analysis of why communism is a failed ideology."

He did a good set of videos on why Kingdom Hearts is retarded.

I hear he streams on Twitch, too, but I've never caught one of his streams.

SHRIMP

#WiggerWednesdays
kiwifarms.net
I think its funny that ever since ross left game grumps too it doesn't seem he's been too successful at his own variation of let's play:
View attachment 1591366

I think the thing Ross has going for him is that he largely chose to step back out of the spotlight of "lets play"; this is not to say he wasn't influenced by that dwindling viewer base, but in his move to Twitch he now also focuses on his personal projects such as animation and art rather than continuing to beat the dead horse that is Youtuber bait games. It makes this lower view count seems like a conscious choice/acknowledgement to embrace a lower profile that is distanced from the Game Grumps -- which could potentially make space for a new viewer base that is not so interwoven with the GameGrumps'. I've seen other YouTubers who split off from large groups take this approach as well as the only basis I have though for speculating this.

boat_rocker

What are you exercising for? You're just gonna die
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the thing Ross has going for him is that he largely chose to step back out of the spotlight of "lets play"; this is not to say he wasn't influenced by that dwindling viewer base, but in his move to Twitch he now also focuses on his personal projects such as animation and art rather than continuing to beat the dead horse that is Youtuber bait games. It makes this lower view count seems like a conscious choice/acknowledgement to embrace a lower profile that is distanced from the Game Grumps -- which could potentially make space for a new viewer base that is not so interwoven with the GameGrumps'. I've seen other YouTubers who split off from large groups take this approach as well as the only basis I have though for speculating this.
I didn't consider that, very good point. As long as he's happy that's really all that matters, especially with his deal of shit he's gotten in the past year or two. like I mentioned before, its probably better for him to splinter off from game grumps and start forming his own identity beyond "that guy from GG". He probably even makes better money off of twitch anyways too, which if that's the case, good on him!

I never personally liked watching ross as an entertainer, but can't deny he's got some artistic talent.