Art Critique + Advice -

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Om
Reference, reference, reference. Find reference similar to what you want and look at how it works the way you want. Also the full body you posted is stiff, go practice life drawing and gesture. If you need help, Loomis and Michael Hampton are the best. Your lines show uncertainty, if you have a drawing tablet, but broad strokes are best, if you don't like it, ctrl+z and redo it, again and again until you like it. The left side is thicker and the body itself is off center. Her hair is also complicated. If you plan on drawing it over and over again, I would simplify it, because right now, it looks like you either couldn't decide on what you wanted or that you just threw in everything you liked.
In my unprofessional opinion, I think doing perfect frontal shots are completely pointless. Might as well give it SOME sort of pose, even if it’s just a neutral standing pose. Full-frontal drawings are necessarily unnatural and stiff-looking because we NEVER see people like that. They also don’t really teach you anything, because you’re basically taking away a whole dimension. Lots of people can draw decent 2D faces, but being able to draw a face/head at multiple different angles takes a lot more observation and practice, none of which you get from doing full-frontal portraits/busts/body shots.

Only time I’d bother with them is for brainstorming outfits and shit, where it’s more about getting ideas on paper where you don’t want to worry about perspective and stuff yet. Maybe it could work for, like, a reference sheet or something - but even those are more helpful when the clothes are in action. IMO they shouldn’t be used for anything that’s meant to be “finished” and standalone.

Pixy Misa

kiwifarms.net
Hey guys any advice on drawing anime eyes. Just the frame. There are a LOT of tutorials, but most of them are trash.I'm mostly having trouble memorising the outher shape, if that makes sense.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Guts Gets Some

StupidSexyBob

just awful
kiwifarms.net
Hey guys any advice on drawing anime eyes. Just the frame. There are a LOT of tutorials, but most of them are trash.I'm mostly having trouble memorising the outher shape, if that makes sense.
These are some of my favorite references, if it helps at all.

e230e601e4e9105ba6540614776fd0ed.jpgf13ef7d571700edf27122cce5205b4f2.jpgDrawing Anime Eyes Manga Design Reference 68 New Ideas.jpg

If you like a particular anime/game's style of drawing eyes, I would recommend tracing over them until you get a feel for how they work. Tracing gets a bad rap, but it's a good technique for beginners or for trying out a new style for the first time. Eventually, you should get comfortable enough to draw them in a way that reflects your own style.

Pixy Misa

kiwifarms.net
If you like a particular anime/game's style of drawing eyes, I would recommend tracing over them until you get a feel for how they work. Tracing gets a bad rap, but it's a good technique for beginners or for trying out a new style for the first time. Eventually, you should get comfortable enough to draw them in a way that reflects your own style.

Thank you! Just what I was looking for.

JeaneJanae

Hiatus
kiwifarms.net
Request~German Boi.png

Request~German Boi.png
this was a sketch request of someone else's oc, i feel like i'm improving, but idk (btw i just realized hi ears are missing, FUCK!)

Reactions: Celandine

Ashley Lynne Coulter

kiwifarms.net
The lin
View attachment 1168265

(I think the thread died, RIP) anyway redoing my hazbin redesigns, cause I can.
The lines are actually too thick, you need to dial that back by like 60% on the thickness, mmmkay?

PeacockXSquigly.png

secondsketch.jpg

Here's mine, the first is just fanart for Squigly adopting Peacock post-game and tucking her in goodnight and the second is a commission because finding a local dayjob is hard sometimes. It's obviously unfinished and I need to work on it later and bring it to completion then ink and color with Prismacolor watercolor pencils.

Really wish I had one of my good watercolor pads with me so I could finish up the art properly.

TatsunoKuri

Designated Art Hobo
kiwifarms.net
Nyderia of House Thaumacta.jpg
Trying to do a silvery effect with colored pencils. How do?
Also, got any other things I could work on?

Surf and TERF

Ouisandrê
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1168557
Trying to do a silvery effect with colored pencils. How do?
Also, got any other things I could work on?
If you want to continue with the colored pencil on toned sketchbook paper, I suggest going the mixed media route by using markers as a base and some white gouache or gel pen for your whites.

If you want to only use colored pencil, I think you would benefit from a lighter toned paper with more tooth. I say a lighter tone because you have a dark figure and this would provide more contrast than colored pencil can give for the silhouette. I say more tooth because colored pencil takes to it better, both in terms of preventing a waxy/muddy look and maintaining a rich color.

Tooth is very important because it allows the paper to receive color from colored pencils.. The pencils need to be sharp and used with gentle touch (hatching in thin lines is a common choice) or else the pressure will smooth the paper out and prevent it from picking up any color that you apply in subsequent layers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TatsunoKuri

SpergPatrol

You're a faggot Harry
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1168265

(I think the thread died, RIP) anyway redoing my hazbin redesigns, cause I can.
There uhh is a lot wrong with the anatomy with this art and the designs so far even without color look kind of bad that ethier, not enough is happening(The tall women), or wayyyy too much is going on (the little girl)
The little girl outfit has a pattern, jester shoes, and a ballerina outfit on top of poofy hair and buck teeth.
This is wayyy to much visually speaking and you may want to tone that down a little and make her have a more consistent theme.
The grown woman is little lacking, it so far is just a lady in a short shirt showing her panties and knee socks, unless you're about to make a hentai parody, this is designed that wayyy out of place especially for the cartoon you're basing it off of.
It has nothing else visually speaking other than the head being a clear copy of the design of female demon news reporter's head. Make the hair different more and the design have more than just what you have so far because it kind of just looked like you made a lewd version of the news reporter at the moment.

The little girl you have drawn so far has got a horse face, it doesn't look humanoid, it looks more animalistic you may want to dial back how much you protrude the bottom half of the face forward.

The grown women's legs look like a horses' also, legs do not curve like that and it looks like the calves you drew have tumors in one while the other just is kind of broken.

The little girl's upper thigh is also broken as you can see a clear lump protruding out in two separate places. Thicker legs do not have curves like this.

Your women's torso suffers from missing ribcage syndrome, there are good references online because this is a common mistakes for beginning artists.
1583396352551.png
1583396374159.png

If you want to know how to fix it this is a full guide the same user also made on how to make the anaomty actually work properly.
1583396411221.png

Sorry for all the notes, but I noticed you were asking for help and seeing details like this and working on them will vastly help improve your art in the long run when you know little anatomy changes like that.

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
Your clouds are too dark. Those horizontal shade lines make your clouds look like they have flat bottoms, like you're looking at a white furry cat or loaves of bread from underneath a glass table. It might look ok if you're viewing them straight up above you but since we're observing them to the horizon the flat bottom clouds look like their undersides are tilted at an angle.

Cedric_Eff

Damn property taxes f**k up everything.
kiwifarms.net
How are you getting this pixelated ink look?
I’m using Medibang Paint on my iPad Pro and I made sharp strokes while using an ruler tool.
Your clouds are too dark. Those horizontal shade lines make your clouds look like they have flat bottoms, like you're looking at a white furry cat or loaves of bread from underneath a glass table. It might look ok if you're viewing them straight up above you but since we're observing them to the horizon the flat bottom clouds look like their undersides are tilted at an angle.
Also any advice on illustrating faster but replicating this style? Because Doing the strokes like this took like four hours and it shouldn’t take that long.

• Informative
Reactions: Surf and TERF

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
I’m using Medibang Paint on my iPad Pro and I made sharp strokes while using an ruler tool.

Also any advice on illustrating faster but replicating this style? Because Doing the strokes like this took like four hours and it shouldn’t take that long.
Can't you draw and save the strokes as an image and then import it as a texture? I'm not familiar with Medibang.

JeaneJanae

Hiatus
kiwifarms.net
There uhh is a lot wrong with the anatomy with this art and the designs so far even without color look kind of bad that ethier, not enough is happening(The tall women), or wayyyy too much is going on (the little girl)
The little girl outfit has a pattern, jester shoes, and a ballerina outfit on top of poofy hair and buck teeth.
This is wayyy to much visually speaking and you may want to tone that down a little and make her have a more consistent theme.
The grown woman is little lacking, it so far is just a lady in a short shirt showing her panties and knee socks, unless you're about to make a hentai parody, this is designed that wayyy out of place especially for the cartoon you're basing it off of.
It has nothing else visually speaking other than the head being a clear copy of the design of female demon news reporter's head. Make the hair different more and the design have more than just what you have so far because it kind of just looked like you made a lewd version of the news reporter at the moment.

The little girl you have drawn so far has got a horse face, it doesn't look humanoid, it looks more animalistic you may want to dial back how much you protrude the bottom half of the face forward.

The grown women's legs look like a horses' also, legs do not curve like that and it looks like the calves you drew have tumors in one while the other just is kind of broken.

The little girl's upper thigh is also broken as you can see a clear lump protruding out in two separate places. Thicker legs do not have curves like this.

Your women's torso suffers from missing ribcage syndrome, there are good references online because this is a common mistakes for beginning artists.
View attachment 1174262View attachment 1174264
If you want to know how to fix it this is a full guide the same user also made on how to make the anaomty actually work properly.
View attachment 1174266

Sorry for all the notes, but I noticed you were asking for help and seeing details like this and working on them will vastly help improve your art in the long run when you know little anatomy changes like that.
I really gave up on this image before I ever completed it, mainly cause I wanted to shift my focus to male anatomy, cause I pretty much need the practice, anyone in this forum who's seen how I draw male characters can tell ya that, so most of the clothing/general design flaws are a a matter of me never finishing it/properly editing it, Tho I will say THANKS FOR THE TUTORIALS AND ANATOMY CRITIQUE, THEY HELP A LOT! Luckily I've also been receiving more anatomy critique from friends to help as well!

BigSIIIIIP

Magic is in the heart. Magic is in the rhythm.
kiwifarms.net
it's my first time doing lineless artwork, im kind of new to it. Any advice someone could give me to improve on it?
like coloring, shading wise? maybe even anatomy because im not so sure if my anatomy is good

Attachments

THOTHunterAlice

You have to try to be this fucking stupid
kiwifarms.net
I just finished drawing one of my interpretations of one of the major arcana cards. What do you guys think?

the star tarot.png

Tags
None